Menu

Mild toothpaste for older kids or adults?

Dd10 cannot handle the "spiciness" (her words) of normal adult toothpaste. But she is rebelling against the toddler "training" toothpaste as being too babyish. Is there something I can get her that will clean her teeth adequately (I was a bit worried about that with the toddler stuff) but won't be too strong of a taste for her?

:bigear:

I asked a question like this before, and I got only answers saying, Tom's... but Tom's was vetoed long ago. It can be too strongly flavored also, and my son considers it too gritty.

Ok, how about a "normal" toothpaste, that is mildly flavored? and NOT obnoxiously textured?

:D

We just got Crest toothpaste that is recommended for 8 &up, I think it is new. It is minty but not as minty as the adult. And our boys' teeth look whiter (they didn't have cavities or anything before) since we stopped using the little kid paste.

Do you have a specific name? There are like a million types/flavors of toothpaste. ;)

My kids have the same issue, and for years we used just plain baking soda ... but then that was TOO plain for my little dental divas! This has been a staple for a very long time:

http://www.amazon.com/Toothpowder-Daily-Care-Mint-Ounces/dp/B0006ON9NA

It's a tooth powder, which I prefer, and even the mint flavor is very mild. The kids found Tom's to be very strong tasting, and we tried every toothpaste under Creation before they settled on this brand. This brand also offers two other flavors: anise and cinnamon. I prefer cinnamon but the kids all prefer anise.

Burt's orange passed the taste test here, but something about the consistency of it didn't seem to work very well to keep teeth clean. Crest used to have a vanilla flavored that they discontinued which was unfortunate because it was the one toothpaste we found that worked well and wasn't "spicy."

training tooth paste like the ones for toddlers just learning??---or as in the kiddie ones that taste like bubble gum or fruit?? I get the ones for older kids (lately aquafresh for kids)....

This is the one my ds15 uses. He won't use anything minty and he didn't like fruity. The bubble mint Aquafresh is fine for him though. It tastes like bubble gum, but he doesn't like bubble gum! The boy confuses me. I wonder if he would like Tom's Strawberry? I hate to admit it, but I have wondered what his future wife might think when he insists on Kids Aquafresh. :tongue_smilie:

Tom's -- the kids have liked the strawberry, and I like the mint. JASON's also makes a mild toothpaste that is good for gums. And there's always some sort of tooth powder or tooth soap; I've heard that Kiss My Face soap (which is just olive oil and salt, I think) is good.

Burt's orange passed the taste test here, but something about the consistency of it didn't seem to work very well to keep teeth clean. Crest used to have a vanilla flavored that they discontinued which was unfortunate because it was the one toothpaste we found that worked well and wasn't "spicy."

My daughter liked that Crest Vanilla also and we were sorry to see it go. Now she's using Crest Citrus Splash--I think it's still a little spicy but the orange helps balance it.

I must have tried 20, and kiddo has settled on Trader Joe's fennel. Milder than Tom's fennel.

Tom's recently reconfigured their fennel; it's not as strong [to me at least]. Bums ME out cuz I liked the flavor before. My mouth always felt pleasantly like I'd just eaten some licorice candy. *sigh* They also put it in a more plastic-y tube rather than the old metal tubes. They were sold not too long ago, weren't they? :glare:

You could always make it a project to learn to make his own toothpaste. Then his future spouse will just think he's handy and self-sufficient. ;)

Dd went through a period where she couldn't stand toothpaste. Our dentist said toothpaste isn't necessary, and to just brush with water. It's the mechanical action of the brush that is important. The main purpose of toothpaste seems to be the fluoride, and if someone is drinking water and getting fluoride treatments at the dentist they are probably getting plenty already.

If you google "is toothpaste necessary" you'll find plenty of information.

Do you have a specific name? There are like a million types/flavors of toothpaste. ;)

It is called Crest For Me, minty breeze. On the tube says for 8 and up. It was with the kid's stuff. Got ours at Target, but here's a link to Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=crest+for+me&tag=googhydr-20&index=hpc&hvadid=7139988219&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=406200581745511675&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_hz6fatv5i_e

• 11 years later...
On 3/9/2024 at 10:38 PM, Kris5 said:

Most toothpaste makes my mouth peel. I've used Pepsodent Original for many years. I'm finding it harder to find if not impossible.  I want something with fluoride that's not gritty. Help!!

Have you tried a novamin-containing toothpaste, like David's.