Iodized salt

For general cooking purposes, I buy:  

1. 1. For general cooking purposes, I buy:

• Iodized
    • Non-iodized
    • Either, but I have specific reasons for doing so
    • Either, but I have NO specific reason for doing so
    • Salt.....mmmmmmm

I use sea salt. It has trace minerals - like iodine - in it naturally. I don't care for the taste of iodized salt, or salt with anti-caking additives. (and, yes, as Chucki pointed out, we have other sources of iodine, including shellfish and our multivitamins)

After doing a salt taste test last month, I will never used iodized table salt again. It probably has nothing to do with the iodine, but it was the big loser with everyone in my family.

We can get iodine from other sources. Now that I've tried kosher, I'll never voluntarily eat that other nasty salt again. I wonder what would happen if I tried sea salt!:001_smile:

I have sea salt. It was at the dollar store when I needed salt so I got a couple.

I don't notice a difference in taste myself. No one has said anything to me either and I bought it about six months ago.

I don't really care either way :)

We use iodized. Because of our health diets here, we may not get enough iodine from other sources, so I always get this. If DH puts the salt in the trolley, he just gets regular table salt. We also have sea salt rocks (or as DD calls it "Edible Diamonds/Crystals")

So I suppose all of the above lol. But for everyday use its the iodized.

My husband has a deep and abiding view that iodized salt is incredibly important. He knew people growing up with goiter. It is one of the few things that he expresses a very firm view on.

I buy other kinds of salt, but I am always sure to have some around. He is a very dear person whose mother would not forgive me if I let him get goiter.

we use non, because I get sea salt and it's not.

Me too.

I did switch back to iodized for a while when I was trying to get pregnant with my second. At the time, I read that iodine deficiency is a suspected contributor to fertility issues. We had been trying aggressively for 9 months to conceive, with no success. When I went back to using iodized salt on everything, I was pregnant in a month.

I don't like the way it tastes, though, so I switched back to sea salt as soon as the baby was born and have used it ever since.