Menu

Cute clothes for girls size 8-12???

I'm so sad that my girls are growing out of the Gymboree stage. It seems like all the clothes aimed for their age group want to make them look ten years older. I hate that!!!

We are not super conservative, but I would like to instill the values of keeping your underwear covered now, rather than having to fight it later.

Where do I buy cute, affordable clothes for this age that won't make my girls look like mini-whores?!?!

Duh, I just saw you have twins. I guess the hand-me-down comment does not apply, but you could consign outgrown clothing. :)

Not necessarily, one of my twins has always been bigger than the other! Of course, now they are teens and have different tastes, so the handing down doesn't work anymore. :(

I used to suggest J.C. Penney, but they have gone to h*ll w/ the new changes, at least in the Jr. and misses depts. Children's Place can sometimes have really nice stuff. Old navy as well. Land's End and L.L. Bean are good.

I have to mix and match from various places. We bought shorts from children's place (the knee length style), and a few striped henley tees from them, as well. We bought the solid core tees from Justice (although, the pretty neons I bought are going back, they are SHEER :glare: and it's too hot here to layer with a cami even if I wanted to do that.) I have bought a few things from Lands End or LLBean that I liked in the past, though I tend to like their winter clothing better than their summer stuff. For us, it's just hunt and peck. Oh, Target is usually a good stop for us. Inexpensive, so if it's stained I don't freak out *too* badly, and some of the stuff is very modest.

I should mention that DD9 now wears a 14. I thought I had trouble finding things in sizes 8, 10, 12 ...... Just wait, finding things gets even harder.

:bigear:

Listening too. My 13 yo is a size 10 (slim!). She has a terrible time finding clothes that are not covered in childish characters or slogans but that are stylish and reasonably modest. I don't consider myself conservative on the modesty standards on this board, but I am compared to much of what I see in stores.

She shops at Aeropostale. Their sale clothes are in the back of the store and are VERY cheap:D. We don't do some of their styles that have low or wide necklines, but they have cute tank/t-shirt combos that she likes.

We can still do some Hanna Andersson (some of it is a bit too young looking for a middle schooler), Lands End, and LLBean. MiniBoden on sale only. We get basics at Target and sometimes Old Navy. Target has been great for shorts. My 11 yo is going from size 12 to 14 and my 15 yo is just a bit smaller than that. It's really hard to find things that I would call cute. I do not wait around for sales anymore but pay full price (to an extent--not MiniBoden!) when I finally find something that works well and is kind of cute.

I second the Hanna Anderssen and Land's End! My kids wore them until 12 or so. I would buy things when they were on sale at year end - just one size up. And if you don't put the Cotton things in the dryer, they don't shrink up/length so they last forever. We have gone through Hanna Anderssen dresses/tights with two girls and given them away only to see them look like new almost 10 yrs later!

ReneeR

We just bought a bunch of cute, modest and inexpensive items from Children's Place. You do have to ignore some of their apparel, like the super short shorts and skirts.:glare:

However, they recently had some nice bermuda length shorts and adorable, comfy capris, as well as some cute skirts that we paired with leggings underneath. They also usually have some good coupons for online shopping if you google, but you can also get those by signing up on their email list.

We also love Hanna Andersson, but they are too pricey for us for everyday wear. I like to splurge by getting a few special purchases for holidays there when they have their sales.

HTH.

Naartjie is great stuff that goes up to a size 10. Hanna Andersson and Tea are really nice too. I have bought a few (very few) select items at Justice, but that store looks like something exploded in it. :001_huh: I also buy some basics from Target and ON.

Oooh, I love Naartjie. I'll have to start ordering online, as we don't have one here.

Great ideas everyone. Thanks! It looks like I'll just have to focus my efforts online rather than my current clearance rack mall shopping. :)

I like Lands End, so maybe I'll just have to be better about watching their online sales.

If you sign up for their emails, you will frequently get email codes for 20-25% off your order.

Hanna Andersson is my other "go to" clothing retailer for my girls (10 y.o. twins, but one is a size 12/14 and the other is 8/10). Tea has some nice, not too pricey clothing for girls, but I have not ordered from them.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but I really like Khols. I have gone summer shopping there the last few years. The shorts/skorts are long enough, and really not that expensive. The one downside, is that you have to start looking now, because the 10's and 12's go fast before summer.They have cute matching sets as well.

Also, I like Burlington Coat factory.

On a similar note, is there anywhere to get practical, nice girl sandals that don't have heels for a 7 yr old with a foot somewhere around a size 13 or 1? It seems like there's a total jump from "little girl" to "teenager" after size 12, and even the sandals that are flat are blinged up, thin little straps, and don't look like they'd hold up well at all to playing outside.

On a similar note, is there anywhere to get practical, nice girl sandals that don't have heels for a 7 yr old with a foot somewhere around a size 13 or 1? It seems like there's a total jump from "little girl" to "teenager" after size 12, and even the sandals that are flat are blinged up, thin little straps, and don't look like they'd hold up well at all to playing outside.

I vote the Keen style sandals that they have at Kmart and Kohls. Let me see if I can find a pic!

ETA: THESE

• 3 months later...

I usually buy all my girls clothing at justice. I am picky about what they choose but they always have 40% off coupons. I would never shop there without that. I just realized as well that they have a clearance section that has 40% off plus 40% off...and it comes out very cheap. They have cute stuff. It isnt usually frilly little girl style stuff...but I dont usually find outfits that are risky or "too old" for that age.

We've gotten really nice sandals for the kids at REI

http://www.rei.com/product/809520/chaco-zx1-ecotread-sandals-girls

We often wait for our dividend, coupons, or closeout to buy there. I only buy my kids one pair of tennis shoes and 1 pair of sandals a year, so I'm willing to spend a bit more. Somehow, this has worked out for me. My kids have small and slow growing feet!