Menu

I need a diet I can live with.

In the past, I've done Weight Watchers, Atkins, and NutriSystem. I can't seem to stick with any of them for any length of time. I'm TIRED of being overweight. But I also get sick and tired of points, meat, and freeze-dried food. ;)

I'm disciplined about working out (4-5 times a week, both aerobic and strength training), but I can't seem to get a handle on the FOOD!!! Grrr....

So, what's your advice? Those of you who have lost weight -- AND KEPT IT OFF -- what has worked for you?

The BEST diet I've been on was the raw foods diet. Eat lots of veggies and fruits, next to no dairy and meat, and nothing cooked. It would have been SO much better had we had a food processor (now do), a juicer, and a ....now what was I going to say? Anyway, Dr. Oz put some people in a zoo and gave them ELEVEN pounds of fresh foods daily and they all had wonderful weight, cholesterol, etc results within 10 days. And real food is just so much better for you in sooooooooooooo many ways.

Now, what I do is try to incorporate that into my diet. I eat 5-6 times per day (and have considered adding a light protein meal before bed as suggested on another site), I eat carefully (ie, not mindlessly). I'm not hungry this way and am steadily losing weight (albeit slowly now).

Of course, I'm exercising also.

My opinion? People KNOW what healthy is. We choose otherwise for various reasons, but we know what it is. You don't need a program unless it's for accountability (Well Trained Sparks or the board for your exercise program is probably enough). You don't need a food eating plan though, I'm sure. You're well-educated on the subject; it's just a matter of DOING it now :)

I mentioned this is another thread, but the Serotonin Power Diet truly is an easier diet to live by. The secret is the snacks you can have. Portioned carb snacks 30 min.-1 hour before you eat. The carb snacks boost your serotonin in the brain and "tricks" your body into believing that it's satisfied. They do suggest a certain meal suggestion too. But I've ignored that and just been eating regular meals, just keeping my portions extremely low and it's worked out great. The snacks are the key to the diet, and enable me *to* keep my meal portions low.

The snacks are things like Honey Nut Cheerios, pretzels, 1 "Skinny Cow" ice cream cone, low-fat pudding cup, 4 low-fat fig newtons, etc. They have a list of acceptable snacks (and the portions). They have to be the right ratio of carb/fat/protein to be affective though, so it's important that you get the snacks right. Serotonin production does not happen unless the carb amount is high enough (the fat and protein mixed is low enough).

Anyway, I really suggest you reading the reviews on Amazon and checking out the book. Like I said in the other thread, I feel I've found this new secret to eating that no one else knows about! Better yet, I feel great too since I'm keeping my serotonin production levels high enough. (low-carb made me irritable and depressed and now I know why) Hope this helps!

p.s. I just read the post above mine. You were asking for a way to eat to live with right? I know for myself I could never stick to eating low-carb, strictly low-fat, raw food, vegetarian, etc. That's why this "new way of eating" has been so wonderful. But maybe that's just me.

My opinion? People KNOW what healthy is. We choose otherwise for various reasons, but we know what it is. You don't need a program unless it's for accountability (Well Trained Sparks or the board for your exercise program is probably enough). You don't need a food eating plan though, I'm sure. You're well-educated on the subject; it's just a matter of DOING it now :)

You are SO right! I DO know what's healthy, but I've read so many contradicting "expert" books: low fat vs. low carb; sugar-free (i.e. artificial sweetener) vs. natural sugar; blah, blah, blah.....

I've been to Sparkpeople, and ya know what? I must be thick-headed or something, because I can't figure it out!!!! (is there an eye-rolling smiley??? insert it here ;) )

I feel your pain. Portion control is the only thing that works for me. I got ahold of the ADA exchange list and found out what a portion/exchange really looked like. 1 serving of meat is only 1 oz for example. I started creating meals and snacks based on calories. I want 1500 cal per day -so what does that look like - and build meals around it. I also make wise choices. !00% whole wheat bread is higher in fiber and lower in carbs than white bread for example.

Just curious, what didn't work about Weight Watchers for you?

What I love about WW is that I can eat 'real' food at any event or function ans still stay on program. All I have to do is count the points. That means I can have a bowl (or two) of homemade ice cream covered in homemade chocolate sauce at a large family gathering. :D

I've discovered a healthy eating style for ME is a mental process. It is a little like being in a homeschool lifestyle mindset...a way of life. Which means I can't have ice cream every day unless I'm working out like a football player doing two a days.

For me, drinking adequate water and getting my five or more fruits and veggies per day has meant weight loss when added to portion control and other sensible choices. That's the lifestyle part for me. Eating healthier.

The raw foods diet sounds refreshing now that it is hot in Texas. I love going out to the garden to graze. ;)

I've been to Sparkpeople, and ya know what? I must be thick-headed or something, because I can't figure it out!!!!

We're willing to help you out. PM Bama Tanya for access to our group.

Seriously, entering everything in has been so helpful for me. I had lost almost 30 pounds after college just by eating better and exercising, but now that I had gained it back and I am older, I needed something more accountable.

Portion control........

Truly. Portion control is the primary key over and above *choosing* healthy foods to eat in the first place. Weight Watchers, in my opinion, really is a program that teaches you how to eat right. My guess is, you already know *what* to eat and don't need a formal program. For me, Body For Life was the ticket. The nature of foods you eat are very much akin to what you'd eat on WW. What I liked about BFL (over what you'd experience at WW) is that, rather than have to count points or anything else, you simply choose the right portion of the identified healthy food and eat it 6 times/day. The beautiful thing is, with this, you never feel hungry 'cause right about the time you're starting to feel empty it's time to eat again! :D

In an nutshell, you eat a protein and a carb (portion of each = the size of *your* fist) every 2-3 waking hours. Additionally, throw in a veggie or two with at least 3 of those meals. Additionally, drink 8-10 glasses of water/day.

I just speak to the nutrition portion of BFL here. There's a whole 'nother exercise aspect of it that is terrific as well. For now, though, nutritionally speaking, I say keep it simple and choose those foods you know are "safe" and enjoy them as prescribed above. I did this 5 years ago (had 15 lbs to lose) and, today, have a minor 3-5 lbs I'd like to shed 'cause I've made some less than healthy choices along the way. However, since this has been so engrained into my eating existence, I've managed to *only* gain 3-5 lbs in 5 years. :-D

Blessings!

Sharon

As a former personal trainer, aerobics instructor, and fitness & nutrition consultant, I can say that many people need what works for them.

Here are a few tips I've found that work across the board:

1) Walk 5 days per week (briskly, 1 mile is fine) or do an exercise video.

2) Strength training using a pyramid/circuit routine. (get a good book on different routines. Try searching Amazon for Joyce Vedral's books...warning: they are from the 90's...grin)

3) Do not buy diet foods or pre-packaged foods. Make your own. Eat raw food snacks....veggies or fruits.

4) Drink lots of water.

5) Throw the scale out of your house and use your clothes as a judge for weightloss.

6) Turn off the t.v.

7) Do not eat after 7:00 pm.

8) Eat a large salad w/ your supper. Make sure the salad is larger than the entree. Eat the salad first or along w/ your main course. Don't have seconds.

9) Eat your largest meal at lunchtime.

10)Exercise w/ a partner who can keep you accountable, if possible.

11)Fix your insides before your outside...reflect on who you are as a person, lovingly created for a purpose by God. Ask for His help in the area of taking care of yourself (it is a discipline!).

12)Make improvements in your personal appearance...skin, hair, make up, wardrobe. Look nice every day, if you can. I have a very limited budget, so I rely on books (for hair and make up), store mags (I browse them while waiting in line at the grocery store...I don't buy), and thrift stores (for clothing).

13)Give to and serve others.

14)Eat only real foods and no hydrogenated fats.

15)Cut out bread and pasta or eat it at one meal only. Switch to whole grain pastas and grains (like brown rice).

16)Keep researching!

Blessings,

Camy

Similar to Pamela's raw foods suggestion is the "Eat to Live" program I've been raving about. And as you say, no counting, no points, no meat, no freeze-dried food. Just real stuff, generous portions of the healthiest foods you can eat... It's not "easy" in a lot of ways -- but it's *simple* and incredibly effective. It's all about eating fresh, real foods -- almost entirely (in order of quantity) vegetables, fruits and legumes. While doing the diet strictly, I *easily* lost 26lbs in two months, and since then (not doing the diet strictly but trying to maintain many of the principles), I've kept it off for about four more months. I've been meaning to follow it again strictly for a while because I just felt so good doing it...

I need a diet I can live with...

The BEST diet I've been on was the raw foods diet.

:lol:

I know the raw foods diet can be good for you but it is not easy to live with. Pamela H in Texas, that is awesome that you liked it though - I'm jealous! :)

Something that has been working for me is to eat natural food, not boxed/bagged/canned and plenty of fruit, veg, whole grains.

The thing that single most helped me was this: DON'T drink your calories! Drink water, herbal tea, plain coffee, ice tea (unsweetened) and drink sparingly - OJ, Fruit Juice, Milk and other drinks with calories.

Good Luck, you sound motivated!

Abbey,

Do you have any tips on keeping up with the food prep for this? I've been doing it with good results. But, MAN, it's a lot of food prep. I'm pretty convinced that this is a healthiest way to go to lose the baby fat while I'm nursing.

I try to make extra salad (which is a LOT of salad in this program) for dinner so I can eat the leftovers for lunch the next day. I buy "baby" carrots so that's easier. But I'd love other tips for keeping up with it all.

Also, do you have to prepare meat for your family or are they on board? We've agreed on meat three times per week, but i don't eat it. I hate those three days. :thumbdown:

Thanks!

For me, Body For Life was the ticket. The nature of foods you eat are very much akin to what you'd eat on WW.

:iagree: I agree! Eating For Life is a really helpful cookbook that provides excellent (and easy) recipes. It goes hand in hand with Body For Life.

I will be able to use lots of my fresh garden veggies in some of these recipes. :001_smile:

I am 43 yrs old and I've struggled with weight my entire life. I think I've found the answer. Christmas 2006 I signed up for WW on line CORE program. I set my self some parameters including I would not do anything I couldn't live with for ever. So, I would not say "I'll never eat . . . again" because I knew that was unrealistic for a life time plan. I also said I would loose the weight slowly. It's taken me 18 months to loose 60 pounds and I would like to loose 20 - 30 more to reach my goal weight. I'm okay if that takes me another year or even two.

CORE was the answer to eating. I know many people fear it but I think it's a very reasonable way of eating. CORE foods are free to eat, until your hunger is satisfied (a very important thing to learn) and then you are alloted an amount of points for those extras (i.e. pizza, etc.) CORE foods are generally all fruits and veggies, lean meats, non fat dairy, ww pasta, brown rice, etc. I love eating this way and find a lot of freedom in not having to count points for healthy foods.

And one other thing I have learned is that there are days I will fall off the wagon. In the past, I would have thrown my hands up and said, what's the point. Or, it's too hard. Now, I start again the next day, or next week . . .

I do exercise daily and I love it (I run) but I don't obsess about missing a day because that's reality too.

I am hoping I've "flipped the switch" in my thinking and eating and exercise patterns in my life. I do not feel like I'm on a diet at all. I believe I will be able to do this for life.

What if you came at it from another direction? Rather than removing from your diet, add to it.

At breakfast, always have 1 C of whole grain cereal with skim milk and a piece of fruit, THEN you can have whatever else you want to eat.

Wait until you're truly hungry or 3 hours have passed. THEN...

At lunch, always have 1/2 c of salad, 1 C of broth based soup, and a piece of fruit, THEN you can have whatever else you want to eat.

In the afternoon, have 1 piece of whole wheat toast with 2 Tbsp. of peanut butter and a cup of sugar free chocolate milk (made with Nesquik no sugar chocolate powder and skim milk), THEN have whatever else you would like.

At dinner, always eat 1/2 c of salad, 1 C of broth based soup, and a piece of fruit, THEN you can have whatever else you want.

See what I mean? You can still eat whatever you want to...you just have to eat something healthy first. You may find that you're eating a lot less of the high calorie items without feeling deprived.

This works for me. As soon as I try to 'cut out' from my daily eating my mind goes bonkers and food is all I think about. If you think it might be something you would like to try, I'd like to have a buddy to do this with. :)

In the past, I've done Weight Watchers, Atkins, and NutriSystem. I can't seem to stick with any of them for any length of time. I'm TIRED of being overweight. But I also get sick and tired of points, meat, and freeze-dried food. ;)

I'm disciplined about working out (4-5 times a week, both aerobic and strength training), but I can't seem to get a handle on the FOOD!!! Grrr....

So, what's your advice? Those of you who have lost weight -- AND KEPT IT OFF -- what has worked for you?

Let me tell you what's been working for me. I am also exercising at the gym both aerobic and strength training at least 4 times a week. It's good you're doing that because it's important!

I get up in the morning and before I go to the gym, I'll eat carbs (bagel, toast, cereal) something like that. Anyway I'll eat carbs with fruit and drink at least 2 glasses of water. After I work out, I drink at least 2 more glasses of water and I'll eat protein--smoothie with powdered protein in it, hard boiled eggs, cheese, stuff like that.

For lunch I'll eat more protein--lean turkey, tuna, eggs, cheese, fruit, veggies, salad, but no carbs. And, I try to drink at least 2 more glasses of water! For afternoon snack I go again for the fruit, veggies, craisins, some nuts, yogurt with granola, and maybe tea or again, water.

I'll eat a litte bit of carbs during the afternoon, maybe crackers or something or an english muffin or bagel, but, not at night. I'll do more protein. Protein keeps me from feeling hungry all the time, carbs give me energy for a little while, but, they drag me down. Also, your body breaks down carbs so differently from protein that it's harder for *my* body to efficiently use it. I'm a carb freak! It all goes to my belly, hips, and thighs!

Have you ever read the book "Loose Weight, Feel Great"? This has helped me so much. It's not necessarily a diet plan, it's a more effective way of eating that boosts your metabolism. You do have to cut out sugar and high starchy foods, but, everything else in certain combinations is okay. It's been the most effective for me--my metabolism was shot, I really killed it with my horrible eating habits. This is helping me a lot.

Also, drink a lot of water. Sometimes dehydration in our body manifests itself as hunger pains--before you eat, drink cold water and wait to see it that's what the problem is first. You'd be surprised how many times your "hunger" goes away with a cold glass of water.

Good luck! It's so hard, I know. I have 30 years of bad habits I'm overcoming. I keep telling myself it'll be worth it!:001_smile:

Do you have any tips on keeping up with the food prep for this? I've been doing it with good results. But, MAN, it's a lot of food prep. I'm pretty convinced that this is a healthiest way to go to lose the baby fat while I'm nursing.

I try to make extra salad (which is a LOT of salad in this program) for dinner so I can eat the leftovers for lunch the next day. I buy "baby" carrots so that's easier. But I'd love other tips for keeping up with it all.

Also, do you have to prepare meat for your family or are they on board? We've agreed on meat three times per week, but i don't eat it. I hate those three days. :thumbdown:

Man, I *wish* I had great ideas on food prep. I call it "the chopping diet" at home sometimes. ;) I did find that the very large 2.5lb bags of spinach at one of my local markets hold up well (not like the little bagged salads that I buy elsewhere -- I'm really not sure why there's the difference), so I rely on those somewhat. For lettuces though, I buy whole heads of leaf lettuces and cut with a knife. So far the best method I've found is to cut off the bottom, then cut the head in half lengthwise. Then I take the half head of lettuce and make several lengthwise cuts, then hold it together and make cross-wise cuts. It's faster than tearing lettuce, and if I'm making it immediately before eating, the leaves don't bruise.

Some other veggies can be chopped up all at once and kept in a zip-bag till I'm ready to roast them for a meal. I also occasionally use frozen broccoli florets or frozen spinach. (I don't like most other frozen veggies, but I'll throw the frozen broccoli florets on a cookie sheet -- perhaps with sliced fresh mushrooms -- and roast, and they're pretty good that way. And I make a sort of cheater version of saag paneer with tofu instead of paneer with the frozen spinach, and that's yummy too.)

But yeah, it's a lot of prep...

As for my family, they're pretty much on board. When dh and I were doing the diet strictly, I bought some no hormone / minimally processed sliced turkey for the kids to have for sandwiches a few days a week, but otherwise they ate what we did (but I would sprinkle cheese on their vegetarian chili or pour olive oil on their roasted green beans -- stuff like that to give them more calories and fat)... Now that we're not following the diet so much, we'll eat meat occasionally if we're out (last night i had sushi -- yum!), but I mostly cook vegetarian at home anyway. Ds actually seems to *love* the EtL diet (with the addition of some olive oil and cheese, etc) -- he loves that we have such a huge variety of fruits and veggies at all times. The little weirdo even said he wants to have a "diet party" for his next birthday, with a pineapple pinata and lots of fresh fruits and veggies -- but also a real cake. Roflol... I told him a pineapple pinata, lots of fresh fruits and veggies, and a real (gluten and egg-free, in his case) cake was totally acceptable, but maybe we could come up for a different name for the theme than "diet party". lol.. ;)

Anyway, I was extraordinarily grateful that dh was so enthusiastic about following along with me on the diet. He cheated a little when he was out of town or at lunch meetings, but even then he tried to make the best choices he could, and he was *so* supportive at home. Dd wasn't thrilled (even though she has gotten worlds better than she was a year ago, she's still the pickiest eater in our family by far) but even she got used to it and began eating more fruits and veggies than she ever had before. On the other hand, both kids claim to hate "soup" now, lol... We, um, do eat a lot...

The little weirdo even said he wants to have a "diet party" for his next birthday, with a pineapple pinata and lots of fresh fruits and veggies -- but also a real cake. Roflol... I told him a pineapple pinata, lots of fresh fruits and veggies, and a real (gluten and egg-free, in his case) cake was totally acceptable, but maybe we could come up for a different name for the theme than "diet party". lol.. ;)

:lol: I love it! Luke has asked for a "buffet" party before, but this is much better!

I do my lettuce the same way you do. I'm the same way about frozen veggies. Broccoli and peas are fine, otherwise I like them fresh. So at least it's a good time of year for it.

Thanks for the info, and congratulations on the weight loss!

Okay, so what if I wanted to ease, gradually, into a raw foods diet.

I'm not even sure I want to go whole hog on it, but obviously, more raw foods into my diet would be a Good Thing.

But uh ... I'm not crazy about vegetables. And there are many beans I can't eat. Soybeans in moderation. Nuts are right out, though seeds are okay.

For breakfast I have oatmeal with rice milk, every day of my life :)

We almost always have salad at dinner.

Give me some raw lunch and dinner options, to try!

Honestly? For *me*, it was less what specific diet and more the combination of the right approach for my body (low carb) with finally being ready.

Ok, So I went to the website of the Dr. F and found he has an Eat for Health 2 book series and Eat to Live book. Do you have any idea what the difference is? It appears that his 2003 book Eat to Live has been updated many times over the years and Eat to Health is a revised new edition???

The follow always work for me when I want to drop some weight.

Never let yourself get very hungry (you will tend to over eat. So I eat several small meals and a few snacks during the day. Snacks are usually a piece of fruit. Drink lots of water this will helps to keep you full. Eating foods high in fiber/whole grains also helps will keeping you full. Eat lean proteins (fish, chicken breats, lean pork etc) I have to have a light evening snack so I make it something healthy(a granola bar, small bowl of cereal etc) I exercise several times during the day ie I will do 2 30 minute walks and then some strengh exercises in the evening. I think this helps to keep my metabolism up. Also this is a great tip don't put all the food for dinner on the table. Fix your plates away from the table and do not go back for seconds. This really helps us with portion control.

Have you tried sticking by the government recommended serving sizes? It doesn't take long to get a handle what constitutes a serving. I admit I've got lazy about that, but if I get lumped with gestational diabetes again, I'll go back in a very dedicated fashion! The good thing about it is you aren't having to eat any specific foods or avoid anything in particular. Make sure you spread your carbs out evenly through the day. If you've had enough fruit, cut yourself some cheese and snack on that instead. If you feel like snacking between meals (and I'm including morning and afternoon tea as meals) have a glass of water. Many people, apparently, confuse thirst with hunger. If you are still hungry after the drink, you know you are really hungry. If you really feel like eating junk food, eat some and don't bother to feel guilty. Just make sure you don't eat junk food if you aren't in the mood. Deliberate choice, not habit.

:)

Rosie

Stephanie,

The biggest change I've made is having a huge salad before the rest of the meal. I fill up a dinner plate and eat that before I eat anything else. Then I eat the grains/veggies/fruit. I try to make my salads really substantial with lots of fruits and veggies chopped up in them along with some nuts, but it's still a bunch of lettuce and it is very filling. My desire for more food has decreased a lot by doing it this way.

I also eat oatmeal for breakfast :D

I know what you mean sister!!! I feel like I haven't been where I wanted to be at weight wise since-wait-I can't remember!! I like that post about the snacks before eating, I'm going to check out the book!

The one great thing you have going is you are working out. For me, if I stop working out, I forget about the diet. I'm an all or nothing gal, which is not a good thing.

Give yourself a pat on the back for working out and keep up the search!

Tammi

Abs Diet for Women until my life turned upside down and it all went to youknowwhere in a handbasket. I still think that's a pretty cool system, and you sure aren't hungry EVER. You just EAT. Eat good food, eat often, mostly whole foods. :001_smile:

We've begun trying some of the recipes to help dh lower his triglyceride count. Stella's story is really inspiring. You should see the before and after pix of him and his family.

I've been blessed not to have to struggle too much with my weight up until now, although I wouldn't consider myself skinny. My basic rule of thumb is, "Eat when you're hungry. When you feel full, stop." IOW, don't eat unless you're actually hungry, and don't stuff yourself. Avoiding mindless snacking and overfilling your stomach is half the battle, IME.

I just want to encourage you to keep it as simple as possible, and do what's best for your particular body. Not everyone can eat the same things, and not everyone will be slim. But if you're exercising regularly and eating nutritious foods, then you're doing well. Better than I am, in fact. Focus on being healthy and fit, not thin.

Hang in there!

I am 43 yrs old and I've struggled with weight my entire life. I think I've found the answer. Christmas 2006 I signed up for WW on line CORE program. I set my self some parameters including I would not do anything I couldn't live with for ever. So, I would not say "I'll never eat . . . again" because I knew that was unrealistic for a life time plan. I also said I would loose the weight slowly. It's taken me 18 months to loose 60 pounds and I would like to loose 20 - 30 more to reach my goal weight. I'm okay if that takes me another year or even two.

CORE was the answer to eating. I know many people fear it but I think it's a very reasonable way of eating. CORE foods are free to eat, until your hunger is satisfied (a very important thing to learn) and then you are alloted an amount of points for those extras (i.e. pizza, etc.) CORE foods are generally all fruits and veggies, lean meats, non fat dairy, ww pasta, brown rice, etc. I love eating this way and find a lot of freedom in not having to count points for healthy foods.

And one other thing I have learned is that there are days I will fall off the wagon. In the past, I would have thrown my hands up and said, what's the point. Or, it's too hard. Now, I start again the next day, or next week . . .

I do exercise daily and I love it (I run) but I don't obsess about missing a day because that's reality too.

I am hoping I've "flipped the switch" in my thinking and eating and exercise patterns in my life. I do not feel like I'm on a diet at all. I believe I will be able to do this for life.

Congratulations, Rose! I totally believe in Core too! It is really close to BFL and ETL I think.

I'm down the shore on vacation, and my internet connection is iffy, at best (wireless at a hotel).

I spent the day on the beach followed by the boardwalk and dinner at a restaurant. I am overwhelmed by the responses here. THANK YOU!!!

You've all given me much to think and pray about. I know I need to (1) keep it simple (2) make it something I can LIVE, not just DO for a time (i.e. go off of).

BTW, I had an appetizer for dinner. It wasn't the healthiest thing on the menu, but it was little. I was full and satisfied, but not stuffed. YEAH!

Thanks again, ladies!

No, not really. Closer than Atkins or fad diets, I suppose, but ETL is a strict vegan diet whereas Core includes meats, dairy, eggs, and more grains than EtL...

True, but you don't HAVE to eat those things if you do Core....you could do ETL and it could still fall within Core guidelines. My friend is vegetarian and even does vegan sometimes but is "officially" doing Core.

I've lost 25 pounds and have kept it off for 2 years now with Core.

Congrats! If I were to "do" WW, it would have to be Core as Core is more of a match for my body's needs and the emotional safety I need to *eat* when I want to *eat*.

Okay, so what if I wanted to ease, gradually, into a raw foods diet.

I'm not even sure I want to go whole hog on it, but obviously, more raw foods into my diet would be a Good Thing.

Ack...you said "hog"...and now I'm hungry! :lol::lol: That's why I could never do this raw thang... :confused:

What if you came at it from another direction? Rather than removing from your diet, add to it.

At breakfast, always have 1 C of whole grain cereal with skim milk and a piece of fruit, THEN you can have whatever else you want to eat.

At lunch, always have 1/2 c of salad, 1 C of broth based soup, and a piece of fruit, THEN you can have whatever else you want to eat.

In the afternoon, have 1 piece of whole wheat toast with 2 Tbsp. of peanut butter and a cup of sugar free chocolate milk (made with Nesquik no sugar chocolate powder and skim milk), THEN have whatever else you would like.

At dinner, always eat 1/2 c of salad, 1 C of broth based soup, and a piece of fruit, THEN you can have whatever else you want.

See what I mean? You can still eat whatever you want to...you just have to eat something healthy first. You may find that you're eating a lot less of the high calorie items without feeling deprived.

This works for me. As soon as I try to 'cut out' from my daily eating my mind goes bonkers and food is all I think about. If you think it might be something you would like to try, I'd like to have a buddy to do this with. :)

I feel exactly the same way about removing foods. I have always found it easier to add than subtract! :)

Alexandra