Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - week 12

Good Morning! Today is the start of week 12 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome back to all our readers, welcome to all those just joining in and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews. The link is in my signature.

52 Books Blog - Jody Hedlund: Home school mom of 5 and writer of christian historical fiction that isn't preachy. Her latest book will be released in September called Unending Devotion. Check out her blog where she talks about all things writing, inspiration and encouragement.

I've declared April to be Read a Russian Author month. Since I've already read Tolstoy will be diving into The Brother's Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Check out the lists below if you need any ideas:

Amazon Listmania - incredible Russian Authors

Zeroland's Famous Russian Writer's and Poets

Talk Literature book Club chronological list of Russian writers

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 11

Oh! And a belated Happy St. Patrick's Day to you! :001_smile:

After Moby Dick, decided some light reading was in order.

Read "Bond Girl" by Erin Duffy

"The Devil Wears Prada meets Wall Street in Bond Girl—a hilarious, fast–paced race through the jungle of high finance in four–inch heels." Harper Collins

Dove into some paranormal romances - Book 4 in Black Son's Daughter series by M.L.N. Hanover "Killing Rites" and the first book in the Kitty Norville series "Kitty and the Midnight Hour" by Carrie Vaugn.

Plus Robyn Carr's latest in the Virgin River Series #16 - Redwood Bend.

All relatively light 200 page fast reads. Mind Candy!

This week I finished:

The Pig in the Pantry and Other Homeschool Tales – 2 Stars - Kindle freebie or very cheap (can't recall) - Just okay, nothing to write home about

Dave Barry’s Greatest Hits – 4 stars - very funny in parts, but parts of it were not that relevant, since it was written in 1988. There was a hilarious part about his trip with his wife to the blue caves of Capri. :D

Island_of_Capri-34277.jpg

Callanetics – 4 Stars - exercise book - the author and creator of Callanetics just died a few weeks ago. This book was written in '84. I'd love to start on Callanetics and see if or how my body changes.

Fifth Avenue – 1 Star - Rubbish, Kindle freebie - but overall waste of my time

Note to Self: Most free Kindle books are not much to my liking. ;)

9781466350403.jpg9780345419996.jpg51Ov5cXdu%2BL._SL500_SS100_.jpg9781453887851.jpg

Edited by Negin in Grenada

I got a lot read this week--lots of good stuff from the library came up at once. I finished Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman about being a follower of Christ instead of a fan. It was a good topic to put some thought into, but probably more sermon-worthy than book-worthy. I enjoyed Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children--very strange and imaginative.

I wanted to read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, but dh stole it from me (he's almost done and enjoyed it very much), so I had to dive into The Hunger Games even though I wasn't sure I was up for the intensity. I liked it, but probably won't see the movie. I don't need those images burned into my brain. I put the second book on hold at the library, but there are 115 people ahead of me. I thought about purchasing it for my Kindle, but after reading Amazon reviews of it and the third book, I'm not sure I want to continue with the series. I'm a happy-ending kind of person and not sure I'm up for all of the manipulation of characters I like.

And finally the girls and I finished Wildwood by Colin Meloy as a read-aloud. The more I read of it, the less I liked it--I wouldn't recommend this one. 527 pages or whatever it was was just way too long. I found the writing style tedious and forced. But probably what most bothered me is that there isn't an underlying source of good anywhere in this story. Notions of God (or gods or the goddess) are mocked, the parents are ridiculous, and I didn't find much redeemable about the world he created in Wildwood.

Next up: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Books Read in 2012 (* = contenders for my 2012 Top Ten)

23. The Hunger Games-Suzanne Collins

22. Not a Fan-Kyle Idleman

21. Wildwood-Colin Meloy

20. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children-Ransom Riggs

19. The Mysterious Affair at Styles-Agatha Christie

18. A String in the Harp-Nancy Bond

17. The Art of Hearing Heartbeats-Jan-Philipp Sendker*

16. The Lacuna-Barbara Kingsolver*

15. I Am Half-Sick of Shadows-Alan Bradley

14. Garden Spells-Sarah Addison Allen

13. The Prince and the Pauper-Mark Twain

12. Romeo and Juliet-William Shakespeare

11. The Shallows-Nicholas Carr

10. The Handmaid’s Tale-Margaret Atwood

9. Mudbound-Hillary Jordan*

8. The Other Wind-Ursula Le Guin

7. What the Dog Saw-Malcolm Gladwell

6. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall-Anne Bronte

5. Tehanu-Ursula Le Guin

4. The Scarlet Pimpernel-Baroness Orczy

3. The Paleo Diet-Loren Cordain

2. Peter Pan-James Barrie

1. The Farthest Shore-Ursula Le Guin

I finished In a Sunburned Country and started The Maharajah and Other Stories by T. H. White. I didn't finish the T.H. White book. It was short stories and I thought it would be similar to stories by O'Henry. However, the stories were just twisted and warped and seemed to get worse as I read. I couldn't take it.

Last night I read Tuesdays With Morrie in 2 hours, while the rest of my family watched The Hunt for Red October. That was much better. I appreciated a positive outlook on humanity

Well, I'm on my third Lord Peter novel because I decided I wanted to read the novels in order to see how things build. Today I googled him to fnd out the order of publication & it turns out if I really want to know I have to read short stories, too. We'll see; it's fun for now, but I'm not a mystery reader as a rule, and I have a growing pile of other books I want and/or need to read!

Good question! I guess it depends where and when you want to read about. I'm not a huge fan of Australiana because Australian history was done so poorly at school I'm still trying to recover. I really can't think of any contemporary fiction since authors seem to write for the middle aged lady audience and churn out colonial romances... There are some great Australian classics which I'd recommend if you were after insight into our foundation myths, I suppose you'd call them.

Bryce Courtney writes accurately, I would say, but I don't find them enjoyable to read. He tends to make every single thing that could happen in a given period happen to the one family. That quickly becomes tedious to an adult reader, or it did to me anyway.

Y'know, I'll post on an Aussie homeschool board and see what others have to recommend.

Rosie

Later edit: I've just finished reading a little book on Kombucha. It's rather old and I should like to read something written this millennium if anyone has any recommendations? I had a mushroom a couple of years ago, but found it too hard to keep tabs on with babies in the house. If I could find a suitable container, I'd like to try again...

Thanks--hopefully someone says something I have always wanted to go to Australia & live there for a year or so, but have never had the money. Not in the hottest parts, of course. Was this next recommendation for me, or for someone else? Perhaps I should have paid attention to the posting dates, but I carried this over from last week.

Margaret Reeson is another recommendation. I can't find a website to link though.

Rosie

This week I finished:

Dave Barry’s Greatest Hits – 4 stars - very funny in parts, but parts of it were not that relevant, since it was written in 1988. There was a hilarious part about his trip with his wife to the blue caves of Capri. :D

9780345419996.jpg

He was a lot funnier when he was married to his first wife, IMO. I'd put this on hold, but see above (is there emoticon for overwhelmed ;)?)

Read my first Piccoult last week- mainly cause it seemed like I had heard a few people here say they couldn't stand her, so I thought I'd see what the fuss was about- My Sister's Keeper- about a designer baby concived to allow her older, luekemia diseased sister to live. Fast, somewhat cheesy read with a not-believeable ending. Short review here. (under #3)

I'm 1/2 way through Davita's Harp by Potok and it is powerful and beautiful. Last Potok book I read he was Old Men at Midnight and Zebra and Other Stories, where he strayed from WWI & II fall-out and I didn't like them so much as his other work. It's the war fall-out that I think he deals with best and Davita's Harp is no exception. He is dealing with Franco and Spain in this one and the intersection of Judaism, Protestantism, Communism, Facism and Atheism. Fascinating.

Actually got scolded by dh today about reading so much...Honestly, I have been avoiding some icky house jobs, fall out from my Grandma and (honestly) homeschooling. At least reading is healthy, safe and cheaper than booze, right?

Well, I'm on my third Lord Peter novel because I decided I wanted to read the novels in order to see how things build. Today I googled him to fnd out the order of publication & it turns out if I really want to know I have to read short stories, too. We'll see; it's fun for now, but I'm not a mystery reader as a rule, and I have a growing pile of other books I want and/or need to read!

I'm taking a break from him too, after a fast wild ride through 5. It will be fun to have Lord Peter as a fall back. I'll be checking out the short stories, too. Is there a link/list you'd recommend?

Last night I read Tuesdays With Morrie in 2 hours, while the rest of my family watched The Hunt for Red October. That was much better. I appreciated a positive outlook on humanity

I loved this and it is on my list of all-time favorites. I've loved all his books, but this and The Five People You Meet in Heaven are my absolute favorites. The movies are very sweet also. I thought they were done very true to the story, probably because the author was involved.

51295RXDJEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

He was a lot funnier when he was married to his first wife

Oh, okay. Guess I'll keep going for his older stuff then. ;)

At least reading is healthy, safe and cheaper than booze, right?

Yes, :iagree:. And so much better than other habits. :D

I don't care much for Jodi Picoult either.

I read The Master and Margarita, a Faustian tale set in Soviet Moscow (in 1920)--very surreal. Also a book about wandering around the Irish coast called Lovely is the Lee, and a new thriller called Before I Go To Sleep. (Meh to the thriller.)

I got a surprise book in the mail--one I've really been wanting to read--but there was no note or name. Thank you, whoever you are!

Last week I finished:

36. Sherlock Holmes Was Wrong: Reopening the Case of the Hound of the Baskervilles by Pierre Bayard. I thoroughly enjoyed this look at one of my all-time favorite books.

37. Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. This was a lot of fun, and I'm not sure how I missed reading it earlier.

I didn't make much progress on the other books I had going, but I did end up starting to reread The Hound of the Baskervilles after finishing the Bayard analysis.

When I picked Divergent up from the library, I knew we would have a maximum of 3 weeks before having to take it back. It has 22 holds on it. I did not expect DH to read it in 3 days, nor I to read it in less than 24 hours.

Divergent ended up on my library holds because someone on FB recommended it to DH when he commented about The Hunger Games. It's another youth dystopian novel. Beatrice lives in Chicago. It is obviously post-something future as a lot of buildings are in ruins, and there is talk about how things used to be when the country was democratic. There is no mention of what happened or of the world outside of Chicago. Anyway, the population is divided into 5 factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue-Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). Each 16 year old goes through an aptitude test that tells them for which faction they are most suited. On an appointed day, they must choose whether to remain in the faction they grew up in or switch to another one. They are unlikely to see their family again if they leave the faction of their childhood. The book follows Beatrice, a 16 year old girl, who has grown up in Abnegation as she goes through her aptitude test, choosing ceremony, and initiation into her chosen faction.

It has a lot of similarities to The Hunger Games while being totally different. The main character is a girl who, like Katniss, is unaware of just how good she is. There's a decent amount of violence. There is definitely more sexual tension in this book, including a short scene where a girl is violently groped against her will.

This book was interesting enough to hold my attention and wonder just where the author was going with the story line. I did read the entire 400+ page book in one day. The ending was disappointing, but that is probably because it ends with many unanswered questions and unresolved issues that will, hopefully, be covered in book, Insurgence, due out in May.

Finished a couple of books this week

20. The Pilot's Wife

21. Jewel

22. Buzz: A Year of Paying Attention

Continuing:

The Magic of Reality (read aloud)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Your Money or Your Life

The Night Circus (love it so far!)

Bringing it to the Table

DD9

28. Sneaker Hill

29. It's Not Easy Being Bad

This week...

Started reading:

A Skeleton in God's Closet by Paul Maier

Still reading:

What is the Mission of the Church?: Making Sense of Social Justice, Shalom, and the Great Commission by Kevin DeYoung

What the Dog Saw by Malcolm Gladwell

Completed so far:

11. My Hands Came Away Red

10. The Omnivore's Dilemma

9.Dead Heat

8. Redeeming Love

7. Family Driven Faith: What it Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God

6. Organized Simplicity

5. Year of Wonders

4. The Holiness of God

3. The Paris Wife

2. The Peach Keeper

1. Relic

I loved this and it is on my list of all-time favorites. I've loved all his books, but this and The Five People You Meet in Heaven are my absolute favorites. The movies are very sweet also. I thought they were done very true to the story, probably because the author was involved.

51295RXDJEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I did like The Five People You Meet in Heaven. I read that 2 years ago. I didn't know there were movies, have to check if my library has them.

Here's my list for the week:

The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler

Light but interesting. Didn't really love any of the characters but liked them together.

Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson

A thriller that's light on the thrill. I felt you could see the "thrill" about half way through then had to read another 100 pages before arriving at it.

Why Read Moby-Dick? by Nathaniel Philbrick

After finishing Moby Dick I found myself wondering what I'd gotten from it. I still need to answer that question for myself but it was interesting to read someone else's answer.

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

WW2 setting and a story that should be compelling. Unfortunately, the characters didn't move me. As a result the story didn't have the power it could have.

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Dystopian novel without the distressing theme found in Hunger Games. Interesting and well done. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.

It's nice to have a variety after finishing Moby Dick. I think by April I'll be able to wade into a Russian novel. Thanks for putting out these challenges, Robin. They certainly are taking me places I'd never go on my own.

I am almost finished with This Side of Paradise. I find it interesting to read about the era of the late 1910s and 1920s. The main character is very, very egotistical so sometimes he is hard for me to like. I hope he redeems himself sometime in the last 50 pages.

Since I was not familiar with F. Scott Fitzgerald I spent some time reading about him online. His and his wife's life seems interesting so I may read one of the many biographies written about them. I am definitely planning on reading The Great Gatsby this fall to see what all the hoopla is about and to read it before the new movie is released in December.

I also started reading Whose Bible Is It? A History of the Scriptures Through the Ages. I haven't made it very far but I tend to find these types of books fascinating.

I don't think I've posted for a couple of weeks.

10. Darth Plagueis by James Luceno. Pretty good for a Star Wars novel. Of course, most Star Wars novels are really, really bad -- so bad I can't make it past page 25. Probably would've been more interesting if I cared why Padme was queen, or why the Trade Federation was doing that stuff they were doing. BTW, Palpatine apparently had warning that his skin would go bad as he started doing more Sith-y stuff, but no mention was made of the toll the Dark Side takes on one's teeth.

11. Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue by Hugh Howey. YA SciFi from my new favorite author. Reads like a ripping good Star Trek episode. The author says he wanted to pay homage to Ender's Game, which is very apparent.

12. Molly Fyde and the Land of Light by Hugh Howey. Book 2 of the series. Midway through took a sudden turn from Star Trek and became more along the lines of A Wrinkle in Time in my opinion.

13. Molly Fyde and the Blood of Billions by Hugh Howey. Book 3. I'd let my 12yo read the first 2, but I'm not sure about this one -- it really IS bloody.

14. Molly Fyde and the Fight for Peace by Hugh Howey. Book 4, which is the final book. Wraps it up in a sort of Star Wars way. I really enjoyed this series overall. These books would be easy to lead a discussion group about -- what are the ways "light" is significant, why do you think he made the Drenards blue, etc. etc. -- lots of fun, easy things to get teens talking.

Previously:

1. Cinder by Marissa Meyer

2. Science of Sexy by Bradley Bayou

3. Wool by Hugh Howey

4. Wool 2: Proper Gauge by Hugh Howey

5. Wool 3: Casting Off by Hugh Howey

6. Wool 4: Unraveling by Hugh Howey

7. Wool 5: The Stranded by Hugh Howey

8. Blabbermouth by Joel Travis.

9. The Dog Who Knew Too Much by Spencer Quinn.

I read The Master and Margarita, a Faustian tale set in Soviet Moscow (in 1920)--very surreal.

Oh, this has been on my 'want to read' list for a bit now. I really want to read it. Did you enjoy it???

I didn't get any reading done this week. My dd is an Irish dancer, so this past week seems like it has been busier than Christmas. :lol: (Really fun, lots of places to dance, including a parade, a downtown festival, & someone's wedding reception, among other things. We have been running -- and dancing -- all week! Plus, my sister has been in town & we haven't seen her in awhile, so no time for books.)

I'm still working on Stone Junction. I loved the first half & sped through it. After that I got a little bogged down in the style/story change & ended up reading a couple of other books in the meantime. About a week ago, I picked up Stone Junction again & easily (& happily) got back into the story... can't wait to see where it goes. I'm pretty close to finishing but may not have time to get to it for at least a few more days.

Oh, this has been on my 'want to read' list for a bit now. I really want to read it. Did you enjoy it???

Yes, I did, but it was pretty weird. I was not always comfortable, but that's the idea, right? It's a surreal book that satirizes the Soviet system, and I didn't always 'get it' until I read some commentary afterwards.

I didn't get any reading done this week. My dd is an Irish dancer, so this past week seems like it has been busier than Christmas. :lol: (Really fun, lots of places to dance, including a parade, a downtown festival, & someone's wedding reception, among other things. We have been running -- and dancing -- all week! Plus, my sister has been in town & we haven't seen her in awhile, so no time for books.)

I know what you mean! My daughter used to do Irish Dance and I miss it. :001_smile:

I gave up on one of the books I attempted last week, ****ed, by Chuck Palahniuk. I thought the idea sounded fun/interesting, but it just got bogged down in gross within the first 100 pages. I also found the writing a bit grating.

I did finish a young adult novel and a play, though. Here's my list so far:

18. Oedipus Rex, Sophocles

17. Silence, Becca Fitzpatrick

16. Prometheus Bound, Aeschylus

15. Shockaholic, Carrie Fisher

14. Crescendo, Becca Fitzpatrick

13. Hush, Hush, Becca Fitzpatrick

12. The Peach Keeper, Sarah Addison Allen

11. Rainwater, Sandra Brown

10. A Stolen Life, Jaycee Dugard

8. Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins

9. The Girl Who Chased the Moon, Sarah Addison Allen

7. Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins

6. The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins

5. Colleges That Change Lives, Loren Pope

4. The Physic Book of Deliverance Dane, Katherine Howe

3. Angelica, Arthur Phillips

2. What Colleges Don’t Tell You, Elizabeth Wizner-Gross

1. Clockwork Prince, Cassandra Clare

At the moment, I'm reading Another Faust (another YA novel) and listening to Halo (yet another YA novel) during my morning walks. I'm looking for another "classic" to read with my son this week, too.

I'm working on Cooking with Fernet Blanca by James Hamilton-Paterson. The first fifty pages or so were hard for me to really get into and I almost gave up. I'm so happy I didn't because I'm loving it now and it's convinced me I need to force myself to read the first 100 pages before I give up on a novel.

How far into a novel do you force yourself to read before you give up on it? Or are you like my DH and finish a book even if you hate it?

I'm also going to make an effort to finish Ginger Pye this week. Little and I have been reading on it for way too long because we'll get sidetracked with picture books only in the evening. I want it finished though so we can start something new.

In progress:

The Inimitable Jeeves by PG Wodehouse (audiobook)

Girl Reading by Katie Ward (recommended here)

Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie (after this I'm cutting myself off from mysteries for awhile)

Thirteen at Dinner by Agatha Christie

Cooking with Fernet Blanca by James Hamilton-Paterson (recommended here)

A String in the Harp by Nancy Bond

Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede (Current read aloud)

2012 finished books:

27. Freakin' Fabulous by Clinton Kelly (*)

26. The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer (****)

25. Home to Woefield by Susan Juby (***)

24. Oh No She Didn't by Clinton Kelly (***)

23. They Do It with Mirrors by Agatha Christie (***)

22. The Third Choice - A Woman's Guide to Placing a Child for Adoption by Leslie Foge (****)

21. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemmingway (**)

20. The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa (*****)

19. A Murder is Announced by Agatha Christie (****)

18. All Quiet on the Western Front by Enrich Maria Remarque (*****)

17. Arabella by Georgette Heyer (****)

16. The Thirteen Problems by Agatha Christie (***)

15. The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer (***)

14. Nim's Island by Wendy Orr YA (***)

13. Abandon in Old Tokyo by Yoshihiro Tatsumi (*)

12. The Moving Finger: A Miss Marple Mystery by Agatha Christie (***)

11. All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor YA (***)

10. The High Window by Raymond Chandler (****)

9. Island of the Aunts by Eva Ibbotson (**)

8. The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie (****)

7. Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler (****)

6. What I Wore by Jessica Quirk (**)

5. How Not to Look Old by Charla Krupp (*)

4. The Georgraphy of Bliss by Eric Weiner (***)

3. The Inquisitor's Apprentice by Chris Moriarty YA (*)

2. The Anybodies by NE Bode YA (**)

1. The Little World of Don Camillo by Giovanni Guareschi (****)

Read alouds 2012:

The Twenty One Balloons by William Pene du Bois YA (****)

Amy's Rating System:

***** - Fantastic, couldn't put it down

**** - Very good

*** - Enjoyable but nothing special

** - Not recommended

* - Horrible

Edited by aggieamy

I finished The Dry Grass of August. It started off well and continued well reminding me a lot of The Help at times because it dealt with the race relations in the south during the 1950s. My emotions were all over the place due to events that occurred, and I was sufficiently hooked. Then I reached the end... and it just ended abruptly. I was left asking, "Seriously, that's it?" I feel like I was gypped. The story is still strong, so my thoughts are still mixed.

I began Simplicity Parenting, and I'm working my way through that. I'm feeling overwhelmed by it though. I recognize that there is too much STUFF in this house, but the thought of paring it down makes me go into avoidance/denial mode. I'm hoping by the end, I'll be all gung-ho and ready to purge! I know my kids don't need all they have.

• Radical by David Platt
  • Made to Crave by Lysa Terkhurst
  • The Eve Tree by Rachel Devenish Ford
  • Breaking TWIG by Deborah Epperson
  • Chasing Rainbows by Kathleen Long
  • Clockwise by Elle Strauss
  • Parenting Children with ADHD: 10 Lessons That Medicine Cannot Teach by Vincent Monastra
  • Imaginary Jesus by Matt Mikalatos
  • The Yellow House by Patricia Falvey
  • They Almost Always Come Home by Cynthia Ruchti
  • Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
  • Under the Overpass: A Journey of Faith on the Streets of America by Michael Yankoski
  • Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore
  • The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew

Well, I finished my third Lord Peter novel (I read one and then read the first two published) and have started Under the Overpass. Time for some nonfiction and this one sounded interesting when someone (can't remember who anymore) posted about it here. I did start Pride and Prescience, but I'm too much of a P&P purist for that one. It was certainly better than the one I read one where every second chapter was about the Darcys in bed together, but not my cup of tea. I am going to try the Jane Austen mysteries at some point, at least I think so since I took one out of the library, but first this book & another Lord Peter novel, then some more nonfiction...

I need a maid, a secretary and a chauffeur for my kids so that I can catch up on my reading;).

I'm working on Cooking with Fernet Blanca by James Hamilton-Paterson. The first fifty pages or so were hard for me to really get into and I almost gave up. I'm so happy I didn't because I'm loving it now and it's convinced me I need to force myself to read the first 100 pages before I give up on a novel.

How far into a novel do you force yourself to read before you give up on it? Or are you like my DH and finish a book even if you hate it?

Glad you're enjoying Fernet Branca (esp. since I'm the one who recommended it).

I don't have a set number of pages that I give a book before giving up. Sometimes it's just one or two. :tongue_smilie:(For instance, I had the same book that Jenny in FL just gave up on -- ****ed, by Chuck Palahniuk -- but I couldn't even get past the first couple of pages. It didn't help that the library copy smelled weird. Maybe if I had a good smelling copy, the book might be better? :tongue_smilie::lol:) Other times, I'll give it more time, but generally I know w/in about 50 or so pages.

How are you guys liking Ginger Pye? That's one we did as a read-aloud a few years ago, but none of us really cared for it. I thought it was odd that the story was supposedly about the dog, yet the dog was missing for the most part of the book. :confused: Kind of sad & distressing, imo.

Glad you're enjoying Fernet Branca (esp. since I'm the one who recommended it).

I don't have a set number of pages that I give a book before giving up. Sometimes it's just one or two. :tongue_smilie:(For instance, I had the same book that Jenny in FL just gave up on -- ****ed, by Chuck Palahniuk -- but I couldn't even get past the first couple of pages. It didn't help that the library copy smelled weird. Maybe if I had a good smelling copy, the book might be better? :tongue_smilie::lol:) Other times, I'll give it more time, but generally I know w/in about 50 or so pages.

How are you guys liking Ginger Pye? That's one we did as a read-aloud a few years ago, but none of us really cared for it. I thought it was odd that the story was supposedly about the dog, yet the dog was missing for the most part of the book. :confused: Kind of sad & distressing, imo.

I'd like to say that we are enjoying Ginger Pye but we're about a third of the way through and have come to a complete standstill. At night when Little Librarian is picking out the books she wants me to read to her that one isn't getting picked and I'm not suggesting it. It's not a bad story, it's just one that isn't connecting with us so far. I think I'm going to ask her if she wants to finish it or pick something else. Normally she will tell me if she isn't enjoying a book and she hasn't said that. I think we're both just ambivalent towards the story.

Any suggestions out of our next Read Aloud options?

Red Sails to Capri by Melissa Weil

The School Story by Andrew Clements

Tales of Robin Hood by Tony Allan

White Stallion of Lipizza by Marguerite Henry

Haven't posted in a while. Here's my list so far:

19. Austenland, Shannon Hale - Highly recommended for anyone who loves Austen and doesn't mind pure girly novels.

18. One Day, David Nicholls

17. In Our Control, Laura Eldridge - a comprehensive look at birth control methods.

16. The House at Riverton, Kate Morton

15. Misquoting Truth, Timothy Paul Jones - a response to Misquoting Jesus, by Bart Ehrman

14. Time of My Life, Allison Winn Scotch

13. The Believing Brain, Michael Shermer

12. Lit!, Tony Reinke

11. Thinking Straight in a Crooked World, Gary DeMar

10. A Praying Life, Paul E. Miller

9. When She Woke, Hillary Jordan

8. The Happiness Project, Gretchen Rubin

7. The Bible Jesus Read, Philip Yancey

6. The Demon-Haunted World, Carl Sagan

5. The Help, Kathryn Stockett

4. Reading the Bible Again for the First Time, Marcus J. Borg

3. The Me I Want To Be, John Ortberg

2. The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, Stephen Covey

1. The Celebration of Discipline, Richard Foster

I'm currently reading One Thousand Gifts, Matched, If God Is Good, and a book about the plight of uninsured people in the US.

Last week I finished Girl Reading and Protector of the Small: Page, books #22 and 23 for the year. Girl Reading was wonderful- truly one of the most inventive, refreshing and woman-honoring books I've read in a while. Page (a YA novel published in 1999/2000 maybe) was very enjoyable. I expected it to be fluffy, but it wasn't. The heroine rocked! :D I'm looking forward to reading more of Pierce's books (she has several series).

This week, I'm reading Proust Was a Neuroscientist and Wherever You Go, There You Are. So far- 1/4 into Proust and 1/2 into Wherever- I'm enjoying both.

Any suggestions out of our next Read Aloud options?

Red Sails to Capri by Melissa Weil

The School Story by Andrew Clements

Tales of Robin Hood by Tony Allan

White Stallion of Lipizza by Marguerite Henry

Haven't read the particular version of Robin Hood you mention, but Robin Hood stories are usually great fun/adventure read-alouds, imo. We also enjoyed Red Sails to Capri (though it's a little slow in parts). Negin's photo this week of the blue grotto is uber-appropriate for the book. :001_smile: (Yet another reason to want to travel to Italy!)

Haven't read the others (though I'm sure my dd has read the White Stallion book at some point...).

I managed to sneak a little time to finish Stone Junction today. I loved the first half of the book, but generally got a bit bogged down in the second half. The first half had a joie de vivre attitude -- a mix of Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, On the Road, and an R-rated Harry Potter. After the halfway mark, the book took a more serious, philosophical turn. It was interesting & gave plenty to ponder, but seemed like a screeching change from the first half of the book. I'm still chewing on some of the events & comments in the second half. I'm not sure this book would be to everyone's liking; overall, I'd recommend it for those who enjoy fantasy or somewhat surreal books.

My Goodreads Page

Completed the Europa Challenge Cappuccino Level (at least 6 Europa books: #s 4, 9, 10, 11, 14, & 19 on my list).

2012 Books Read:

01. Mozart's Last Aria by Matt Rees (3 stars)

02. Oh No She Didn't by Clinton Kelly (2 stars, if you're in the right mood, lol)

03. The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (4 stars)

04. In a Strange Room by Damon Galgut (4 stars)

05. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling (5 stars)

06. The Infernals by John Connolly (3 stars)

07. Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto (2 stars)

08. The Coral Thief by Rebecca Stott (3 stars)

09. Zeroville by Steve Erickson (4 stars)

10. Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky (4 stars)

11. Hygiene and the Assassin by Amélie Nothomb (2 stars)

12. The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner (3 stars)

13. The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall (4 stars)

14. The Nun by Simonetta Agnello Hornby (4 stars)

15. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (5 stars)

16. The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim (3 stars)

17. The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino (3 stars)

18. The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt by Caroline Preston (3 stars)

19. Cooking with Fernet Branca by James Hamilton-Paterson (4 stars)

20. Stone Junction by Jim Dodge (3 stars)

Finished this week:

#14 - Shattered Dreams: My Life as a Polygamist's Wife, by Irene Spencer. She was the 2nd of Verlan LeBaron's 10 wives, and gave birth to 13 of his 58 children. It was an interesting book. I had no idea of the poverty these families live in. The book never really mentions how her children felt/dealt with the situation, and I found myself wanting to find out more about them. Apparently Susan, the 5th and favorite wife, also wrote a book about her life; my library doesn't have it, though.

Up next: Either The Winter Sea, by Susanna Kearsley or One Thousand White Women, by Jim Fergus.

Thanks--hopefully someone says something I have always wanted to go to Australia & live there for a year or so, but have never had the money. Not in the hottest parts, of course. Was this next recommendation for me, or for someone else? Perhaps I should have paid attention to the posting dates, but I carried this over from last week.

All the recommendations I made in last week's thread were about contemporary Australian authors. They were for whoever asked. It was you, was it? Head like sieve, here... :rolleyes:

Plane fairs are horrible, but accommodation doesn't have to cost too much. My aunt hosts WWOOFers, and seems to have a new bunch every other week. Mostly she has them carting bricks around, fixing fences and playing with the dog, if you like that sort of thing. :tongue_smilie: What's so great about Australia, anyway? We have a pretty, big rock and sensible clothes lines. That's about it, really.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Plane fairs are horrible, but accommodation doesn't have to cost too much. My aunt hosts WWOOFers, and seems to have a new bunch every other week. Mostly she has them carting bricks around, fixing fences and playing with the dog, if you like that sort of thing. :tongue_smilie: What's so great about Australia, anyway? We have a pretty, big rock and sensible clothes lines. That's about it, really.

Yes, dh and the dc were all saying the other day how we should visit Australia. My response: "Are you out of your minds? Have you any idea about the plane fares?!"

Your aunt sounds cool. :D

We have a teeny tiny rock here - volcanic origin. Our clothes lines are not that sensible, however. :lol: I'm sure you guys are better with all that.

This is what I love about you, Rosie. You say it like it is and don't do all the hype rubbish. :D :grouphug:

Yes, dh and the dc were all saying the other day how we should visit Australia. My response: "Are you out of your minds? Have you any idea about the plane fares?!"

Hey? What's so wrong with Australia that we aren't worth spending plane fares to visit? :toetap05:

A self confessed feral. I like her. :D You can come stay at her place. She won't mind.

Rosie

I'd like to say that we are enjoying Ginger Pye but we're about a third of the way through and have come to a complete standstill. At night when Little Librarian is picking out the books she wants me to read to her that one isn't getting picked and I'm not suggesting it. It's not a bad story, it's just one that isn't connecting with us so far. I think I'm going to ask her if she wants to finish it or pick something else. Normally she will tell me if she isn't enjoying a book and she hasn't said that. I think we're both just ambivalent towards the story.

We did Ginger Pye as a read aloud several years ago. We all hated it. It has now become the standard by which we judge all other books. ("It was boring, but not as bad as Ginger Pye!")

Read my first Piccoult last week- mainly cause it seemed like I had heard a few people here say they couldn't stand her, so I thought I'd see what the fuss was about- My Sister's Keeper- about a designer baby concived to allow her older, luekemia diseased sister to live. Fast, somewhat cheesy read with a not-believeable ending. Short review here. (under #3)

I'm 1/2 way through Davita's Harp by Potok and it is powerful and beautiful. Last Potok book I read he was Old Men at Midnight and Zebra and Other Stories, where he strayed from WWI & II fall-out and I didn't like them so much as his other work. It's the war fall-out that I think he deals with best and Davita's Harp is no exception. He is dealing with Franco and Spain in this one and the intersection of Judaism, Protestantism, Communism, Facism and Atheism. Fascinating.

Actually got scolded by dh today about reading so much...Honestly, I have been avoiding some icky house jobs, fall out from my Grandma and (honestly) homeschooling. At least reading is healthy, safe and cheaper than booze, right?

lol...I hate to say this but I'm not so sure it's cheaper than booze anymore! It used to be I could walk into a bookstore and get a paperback for like $5.95, now they're all like $15.00 or something. I can get a bottle for that cheap, too haha.

Nance, who likes all of Jodi Picoult's books! (And does NOT drink as much as that might have made it sound. :P)

Okay, here's my list so far:

52 Books In 52 Weeks 2012

COMPLETE

1. Envy, by J.R. Ward (Fallen Angels series)

2. Kiss of the Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

3. The Ramayana, A Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic, by R.K. Narayan (with my daughter for school reading)

4. Dark Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

5. The Immortal Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

6. Spell of the Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

7. 11/22/63, by Stephen King

8. The Traveler, by John Twelve Hawks (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 1)

9. Into the Dreaming, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series)

10. A Judgement In Stone, by Ruth Rendel

11. The Dark River, by John Twelve Hawks (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 2)

CURRENT

12. The Golden City, by John Twelve Hawks (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 3)

lol...I hate to say this but I'm not so sure it's cheaper than booze anymore! It used to be I could walk into a bookstore and get a paperback for like $5.95, now they're all like $15.00 or something. I can get a bottle for that cheap, too haha.

Nance, who likes all of Jodi Picoult's books! (And does NOT drink as much as that might have made it sound. :P)

Nance,

I do have to pay $60 every year for use of the library 'cause I live out of county. And I did make my own wine last year so that was just a couple bucks - you are right! C'mon over and have a glass! I have one bottle left :001_smile:!!

After a couple days simmering I decided I liked Piccoult's book. I just didn't like her cheesy ending (deux ex machina- now that I've discovered the term, it's everywhere!!). I did get another book of hers out and am 1/2 way through it- House Rules- about a kid with AS, and a murder. I know a kid with AS and he reminds me a lot of the protagonist. Anyway, I'm just ready for the cheesy ending now and it's an interesting, easy read.

Not anywhere near the depth and brilliance of Potok, but not everyone can be the master of metaphor and word crafting.

24) Through My Eyes by Tim Tebow on audio

I am a huge Tebow fan and I cannot decide if it was the guy reading this book who drove me crazy or if it was Tim. The tone was pious, the message was good. The tone lacked the humility that Tebow supposedly endows. Has anyone read the book and did the book have that undertone? I have no desire to check it out for myself.

The message was good, but I had to wade through a lot to get it. I live where football got its start, so I am a fan of football. I read football books and I have to tell you this was the worst book on football I have read in the last 30 years. Every chapter contained at least five howevers and more of courses than I cared to count. The descriptions of plays lacked description--it was very basic. Good Grief he even had a co-author.

Drew Brees wrote a fabulous book called Coming Back Stronger: Unleashing the Hidden Power of Adversity.

Colt McCoys book was good and the title is Growing up Colt

Frank Gifford wrote The Whole Ten Yards. This was 4 stars.

A wonderful story of determination and grit is Rise and Walk: The Trial and Triumph of Dennis Byrd.

Brians Song---what a book. The story of Brian Piccallo and his friendship with Gale Sayers while Brian battled cancer.

And one I read when I was a young girl was about a Penn State Player and his younger brother with cancer. This book was my introduction to Joe Paterno. I believe it was called Eric, but I couldn't find it in my library catalog or on Amazon.

** I wrote this review before I was sure what my problem with the book was. It is the voice of the reader. I googled Tebows voice, Tim's voice is much more humble than any that was spoken on the audiobook. **

23) A Dream For Hannah by Jerry Eicher.

22) Much Ado About Nothing Shakespeare on audio

21) A Love That Multiplies, Duggars on Audio

20) Ella Finds Love, Eicher

19) Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

18) The Duggars 20 and counting by Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar

17) Emotionally Healthy Spiritually by Peter Scazarro

16) Organized Simplicity by Tsh Oxenreider

15) The Survivor by Beth Wiseman (yet another amish book)

14) The Art of Mingling by Jeanne Martinet audio book

13) Growing up Amish by Beth Wiseman

12) Ella's Wish By Jerry Eicher

11) Growing up Amish by Ira Wagler

10) The Healing by Wanda Brunstetter

9) Christmas in Sugarcreek by Shelley Shepard Gray

8) The Dark Tide

7) Little Men, Louisa May Alcott on Audio

6) Winter of the Red Snow.

5) The Daniel Fast by Susan Gregory.

4) A Wedding Quilt for Ella by Jerry Eicher

3) Longing by Karen Kingsbury.

2) Little Women by Alcott

1) Midummer Night's Dream by Shakespeare

Edited by Rosyl
my sentences were as poorly formed as Tebows.

What's so great about Australia, anyway? We have a pretty, big rock and sensible clothes lines. That's about it, really.

Are you sure you don't work for the Australia Tourism Board? ;):lol:

Hey, we have a big rock where I live too. (It has the largest bas-relief carving on it in the world.)

:iagree:

A self confessed feral. I like her. :D You can come stay at her place. She won't mind.

Sounds awesome. Can I come too? :001_smile:

:lol: Maybe if you drink enough, you can read the same book over & over & it will seem like a new story every time?