Menu

Carribean pronunciation

I hate saying this word because I'm never sure if I'm pronouncing it correctly. I've heard:

Care-uh-BEE-un

CARE-uh-bean

Kuh-RIB-bee-un

Is it a country pronunciation thing? I'm in the U.S.

Kuh-RIB-bee-un.... I used to say it Care-uh-BEE-un until I was corrected by a friend from Jamaica. Of course, he says it with an accent that makes it sound that makes it sound so much more exotic:D.

I hate saying this word because I'm never sure if I'm pronouncing it correctly. I've heard:

Care-uh-BEE-un

CARE-uh-bean

Kuh-RIB-bee-un

I kinda use 1 & 3. If I would say, "Carribean cruise"....I'd say it like Kuh-RIB-bee-un. If I would say "Carribean islands"....I'd probably say Care-uh-Bee-un. I have no idea why. That's just how I roll. :D

Now...according to Billy Ocean....it's Care-uh-Bee-un. :001_smile:

I kinda use 1 & 3. If I would say, "Carribean cruise"....I'd say it like Kuh-RIB-bee-un. If I would say "Carribean islands"....I'd probably say Care-uh-Bee-un. I have no idea why. That's just how I roll. :D

:iagree: Both, depending on how you are using the word.

CARE-uh-bean

Kuh-RIB-bee-un

I say Kuh-RIB-bee-un except when referring to the Disney ride, lol. Then it is Care-uh-BEE-un. I don't know why I differentiate, but I do.

I actually alternate between care-uh-bee-in and cuh-rib-ee-in. My husband lived in Antigua for a while as a kid (dad was military) so he says it like people from there say it, but I can't for the life of me remember which way that is!

In Australia I'd only ever known it to be CAR-ib-BE-an,

Yeah? I say it with a short a ca-rib-BE-an.

but of late I have heard the pronunciation of Kur-RIB-be-an. I had just put it down to another one of the Americanisms that filter down to us.;)

:D

Rosie

In the UK it's usually pronounced CAR-ri-BE-uhn.

We live here in the Caribbean, and yes, this is how pretty much everyone here says it.

I've usually heard Americans (including Husband) say Cuh-RIB-be-uhn.

Yes.

Some other replies.

I usually say Kuh-RIB-bee-un.

Love your new avatar. You're gorgeous. :)

Just to make some of you smile.

107312403590868151_l8qKPWfE_f.jpg

This is me, exactly. I say it both ways. I don't think I've ever heard #2.

Yeah? I say it with a short a ca-rib-BE-an.

Rosie

Yeah I meant it that way....I should have put the 'r' after the dash shouldn't I! I was just trying to avoid the 'e' on the end that would make the first syllable sound like 'care'. :D

This is somewhat embarrassing to admit, but I'm not sure. I lived there for 10 years and go every August and I'm still undecided. Both sound right in certain contexts. Kuh-rib-ee-an is closer to Caribe in Spanish, but that's not how Jack Sparrow says it and that's got to count for something.