Menu

s/o vasectomy + 10 yrs = baby

Okay now I am just really curious. Several people mentioned knowing someone who became pregnant 9 or 10 years after their husband's vasectomy. Does anyone know of any real documentation about things growing back together in the 9 -10 year time frame?

Usually the problem is that the patient did not return to the physician to get the "all clear". My husband performs Vs and always tells the patient that if he doesn't want a little surprise in the years to come, he must return for a follow-up. You'd be surprised how many don't return :)

I'm not saying it hasn't or doesn't happen but I'm confused. The urologist told us that 2-3 years after the vasectomy dh would be completely sterile. As in he wouldn't make any guy at all. He said vs are almost impossible to reverse at that point because there just isn't any sperm. He explained it like breastfeeding, the more demand there is the more your body makes. The more milk that you put out the more it makes. It's supply and demand. So if the v was done correctly and no guys are getting out he will eventually stop making them. But like I said if it was successful in the first place. If a few were still getting out I can see how he would still make a little bit. We all know it only takes one!

I'm not saying it hasn't or doesn't happen but I'm confused. The urologist told us that 2-3 years after the vasectomy dh would be completely sterile. As in he wouldn't make any guy at all. He said vs are almost impossible to reverse at that point because there just isn't any sperm. He explained it like breastfeeding, the more demand there is the more your body makes. The more milk that you put out the more it makes. It's supply and demand. So if the v was done correctly and no guys are getting out he will eventually stop making them. But like I said if it was successful in the first place. If a few were still getting out I can see how he would still make a little bit. We all know it only takes one!

That doesn't make sense at all. There is still a demand and swimmers are still produced. The v just disrupts the path and they have no where to go. They are them absorbed by the body. Thats why there is some question about autoimmune and prostate csncer being higher with than without.

Usually the problem is that the patient did not return to the physician to get the "all clear". My husband performs Vs and always tells the patient that if he doesn't want a little surprise in the years to come, he must return for a follow-up. You'd be surprised how many don't return :)

This.

We had a friend that it happened to - he didn't go to the follow up, and 7 years later... :)

It made the rest of our friends who went that route super vigilant. :lol:

I guess I don't understand the male anatomy enough, cause I'm confused. I thought it interrupted the path so swimmers couldn't get through. You can have a surprise years later, not from things reconnecting, but from a reserve supply of swimmers?

My dh didn't do the follow-up visit btw....:001_huh:

Please! Ask him a question...or if you already know the answer please tell me this:

This is worded very awkwardly, I am having a hard time finding the right words.

Dh was told to come back and get it tested right after his surgery. If the surgeon cuts and sutures the ends back, how will testing it a month or so later, help? Do they grow back that fast? Is the regrowth an "it will grow back in 4 weeks, and if it doesn't grow back by then, they won't grow back" type thing?

I guess I have always wondered, how if someone hasn't had a V tested, and a pregnancy occurs many years later, were they just lucky for the first 8 or so years? Because, surprise V pregnancies don't usually seem to occur in the first years.

My guess would be that for these surprise babies, the enough connection was left (or regrew) to allow some, but not the normal amount of sperm through. I believe infertility is declared if it takes more than a year for a couple to get pregnant. So if the man has a very low sperm count, after enough time, one might make it to the egg. Also, sperm counts can vary based on diet, hot baths, etc, so if the man changes these things, his sperm count might increase.

As I understand it, the follow-up appointment is another sample to make sure everything took - to verify the swimmers aren't getting through.

Also, the sperm count does go down over time, or at least can, though I don't know if that is due to the procedure or just a fact of getting older.

As for becoming sterile. Not true.

I know of two actual cases - a family that I was at school with (baby was about 10 years after vasectomy), and the sister of the woman who ran a Mother-and-Toddler class I went to with dd. The second was longer, closer to 16 years, I think, and resulted in some ...tension ... until the husband was tested, which confirmed "swimmers".

Here's what he told me:

The incidence of reconnection after 6 weeks of "all clear" is still 1-2%. If a man is positive after 6 weeks, a follow up procedure may be warranted.

What can happen:

1. When surgery occurs, a small incision is made and the vas is pulled up and either tied off or clipped off. When fishing around for the other side (one vas per testicle) it is possible to get the same vas and tie it off again rather than getting the second vas. Or another structure - vessel- is mistaken for the vas. A follow-up will tell you whether there is still a working vas.

2. If tied off, the vas can sometimes split off and reconnect with another end. This is less likely to occur when using clips.

3. If patient is still positive after 6 weeks, he will scan the scrotum to see if there are clips on both sides. Sometimes it just takes longer to clear.

Obviously the longer one goes without a pregnancy, the less likely that it will occur.

A friend of mine has parents who separated and almost divorced after her mom got pregnant about a decade after her dad's vasectomy. The DNA test proved that it was the husband's child and it turned out the tube had somehow managed to reconnect. It wasn't a case of skipping the follow-up appt. but actually the body healing itself. Now, the vasectomy was performed in the '80's so it's possible that the modern procedure is more reliable.

That doesn't make sense at all. There is still a demand and swimmers are still produced. The v just disrupts the path and they have no where to go. They are them absorbed by the body. Thats why there is some question about autoimmune and prostate csncer being higher with than without.

Actually it does make sense. If you research the success rate of v reversals they will tell you this is why the rate is so much lower then that of a tubal. The swimmers have no where to go and they get backed up and the body eventually figures it out and majorly slows down making them. Supply and demand. Being sterile doesn't mean no sperm. Just not "enough" That being said like breastfeeding Moms can "restart lactation" It makes sense that mens parts could do the same under the right conditions. I think the procedure has gotten more advanced which is why you heard more about surprise babies 10 years or so ago. And the more resent ones well you gotta follow through with the test. I have also wondered if it is possible for them to grow back, shouldn't they also check at maybe 6 months and a year post op when things have had a chance to grow?

Edited by CLBMom
smartphones= lots of errors

........ I think the procedure has gotten more advanced which is why you heard more about surprise babies 10 years or so ago. And the more resent ones well you gotta follow through with the test. I have also wondered if it is possible for them to grow back, shouldn't they also check at maybe 6 months and a year post op when things have had a chance to grow?

That was kind of what I was getting at. Why is 6 weeks the magic number and why only the one time? Why isn't there a 5 year follow up?

DH had to provide samples monthly until he had three consecutive clear months. His doctor warned him that many men don't go back after the first clear sample - and then there may be a little surprise somewhere down the track.

Maybe they are getting smarter LOL

Dh's V was 12 years ago. One recheck and your good to go. We never had the recheck, but luckily no surprises. I can't get pg anymore, so it is fine now.

Something to consider would be to buy a microscope and have the man do his own sperm count every few months, to make sure there aren't any present. There are kits available for this.

Ok I'm going to confess to having done this before and after the big v. Glad I'm not the only one who had thought of that lol Results were fascinating before and well pretty boring after thank goodness:lol:

Loverboy's vasectomy was less than 2 years ago.

My physician's assistant friend told me to make sure that he had at least TWO clear samples in a row before he assumed that the vasectomy was successful. Apparently she has provided prenatal care for a number of families that had skipped that second check.

Loverboy's doctor had him checked 6 weeks after the surgery, but told him to come back to be checked once EVERY year.

I've not read all of your responses but my father had a vasectomy in 1984. At the time they just cut the v and didn't remove a section. 8 years later my sister was born. He did go back for the initial check which showed no swimmers. He had another check after my Mum fell pg which showed a very low count. He had another vasectomy after my sister was born in 1991 and this time they removed a section of the v. My Mum also had her tubed tied. My Dad again got the all clear but he has a feeling that it has connected up again. He is a super healer! But he hasn't bothered to get checked out because it's not a worry any more.

DH had to provide samples monthly until he had three consecutive clear months. His doctor warned him that many men don't go back after the first clear sample - and then there may be a little surprise somewhere down the track.

My dh was only to go back the once, I think it was six weeks after, which he did. No suggestion was every made for going back again.

I think there was a recommendation to a minimum amount of teA making to do before six week check up which we did.

That was kind of what I was getting at. Why is 6 weeks the magic number and why only the one time? Why isn't there a 5 year follow up?

Because the incidence of a positive specimen after a 6 week clear specimen is low. It would be doubtful, however, if any man who has had the procedure and wants further "inspection" would be turned away :001_smile: Better to be safe than sorry :D

When Vs were first preformed they only clipped the v's and that was all. The failure rate was too high so they started cauterizing the end of each v as well. The rate went down but was still higher than it should be. So then they started clipping, cauterizing and clamping. Providing that the patient got the all clear the effective rate was pretty darn high 98-99%.

They believe that failures could be do to a few different things: first, while the man is still producing sperm and pushing it through the system it can basically bust the stitches or area adjoining the surgery site on the v's. This would have to happen on more than one v to provide an escape path. It may take time for that to happen. Sometimes the body basically tries to heal itself and regrow or reattach at damaged areas. There have been cases where sperm have traveled from one v through a divided space and reached another v even though they were not physically attached. Over time clips can slip off or the skin holding it in place can die leaving an open end that can heal.

It is my understanding that sperm production does not decrease. It continues at the normal rate for that male and is obsorbed by his body. If lack of use caused a lack of sperm celabite people would become essentially sterile after a certain amount of time and there is no evidence of that happening. Of course, all of these things would probably lower the sperm rate but as we all know, it only takes one.

My hubby had a low rate and he has six kids. Overall, I believe that a V is an excellent method of BC but still not 100% effective. The ony way to know for sure if your hubby is sterile right now is to get his count checked.

How appropriate is CynthiaOK's avatar DON'T PANIC:lol:

It's been 10, almost 11 years since my DH's V and he never went back for the checkup. I had him read this thread with me, he just laughed. However, what I felt back then is different than what I feel now - I would actually be happy if I found out that I was expecting.

My kids are growing up way too fast and I still have a strong motherly instinct. Plus my oldest could help:001_smile:

• 7 months later...

My friend's sister got pregnant AFTER she got her tubes tied and her dh got a V. She also sued so she could put an addition on the house so the bew babies could have their own room. Her dh did go for his follow up. With her, her tubes were tied after her second son. They have four kids. The 4th was born after her husband's V.

I am sure this is highly unusual. For her, she always knew she wanted only two children. :lol::lol::lol: she was one of 12.

Oh well lookie at that. I resurrected an old thread while trying to find the one where someone's dh conditions his testes.:tongue_smilie: i guess I am about as discreet as a bull in a China shop.

:leaving:

:lol: Its all about Cupcakes and Balls here.

My guess would be that for these surprise babies, the enough connection was left (or regrew) to allow some, but not the normal amount of sperm through. I believe infertility is declared if it takes more than a year for a couple to get pregnant. So if the man has a very low sperm count, after enough time, one might make it to the egg.

Husband was declared infertile. It took eight years for the first sperm to get through, almost four after that for the second.

Laura