Menu

That's when I left too. I was one of the ones providing the free advice, but a new, complete core has never been something within my budget.

yeah and then what did they do go in cahoots with Supermom who was getting paid to do much of the same advising yeah.

and they pay advisers to help with choosing but really I've talked to a few people who have used those advisers and it is always far different from what the regular users would ever suggest. and most of those people are now like where do I go next, or they don't like SL.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't Sonlight and I can see their point but over a 5-6 year period? This was actually 2 phone calls; not letters which was worse to me. I felt like I was slapped. My dh is fumed about it. Yeah, I knew I had returned a lot recently and thought that I would not be able to return this set. Lifetime ban? Harsh!

It's gotta be Sonlight. It's the only thing I can think of that rhymes with blight (see the tag).

How long are you banned for? Like.....forever???? :confused: :ohmy:

ETA: Oh....so it's not Sonlight. Hmmm.....now I gotta think of what else rhymes with blight...unless that's a trick tag line. Maybe could ya' just spill the beans and let us know?? Pretty please??

It isn't Sonlight and I can see their point but over a 5-6 year period? This was actually 2 phone calls; not letters which was worse to me. I felt like I was slapped. My dh is fumed about it. Yeah, I knew I had returned a lot recently and thought that I would not be able to return this set. Lifetime ban? Harsh!

Can you say who?

My $$ is on Lampstand Press/TOG... :tongue_smilie:

ETA: Sorry I jumped to this conclusion. Based on my past experience with them, I was almost sure it was them. (and yes, Scott Somerville is a lawyer) They "shut down" all virtual co-ops NOT run through Lampstand Learning Center as of Fall 2011. They used the "protection of their intellectual property" argument.

Edited by curlylocks

It's almost funny. My first thought was also Sonlight. I quit buying from them when they started charging some of us for access to their boards. I'm a single mom with a very tight budget. I couldn't buy a complete program, but I did buy quite a bit from them over the years. It was a slap in the face, particularly how John handled the situation. I don't understand banning purchases when the company could stop accepting returns from the OP or initiating a restocking fee for some or all returns.

Maybe I'm dense, but here's what I'm getting:

You bought and returned a number of programs because they did not fit well with your kids. But you have kept some and you like what you've kept.

The company phoned you and told you that you cannot buy any more of their products because they think your returns are suspicious.

That sounds crazy. What kind of business practice is that?!

Well if they banned you, you owe them nothing and should feel free to say who it is. Plus if they treat their customers that way the deserve any bad publicity they receive. And you do owe it to your friends the info to help them protect themselves.

Okay that last one may be stetching it and i may just be overly curious.

They put it out there- had to know it would effect them negatively and were willing to risk it. :glare: Customer service, people!

I am sorry :grouphug: I would be.....I am not sure. But really it is their stupidity.

I wanna know too!!!!:lol:

I don't know where the copy of their catalog is right now, but I am pretty sure the Winter Promise catalog states that you can only take advantage of their return policy (4 week trial with free return) three times and then you can't return anymore of the themed programs. I don't know if they enforce that on individual items or not.

Well if they banned you, you owe them nothing and should feel free to say who it is. Plus if they treat their customers that way the deserve any bad publicity they receive. And you do owe it to your friends the info to help them protect themselves.

Okay that last one may be stetching it and i may just be overly curious.

I agree with the above. We're branching out with our curriculum next year and I'm not doing a totally boxed approach for once in my life. I'd appreciate knowing in case any of the curriculum I plan to buy is from this company.

I just want to tell you that I am so sorry. I have bought a few stinkers in my day..not from Dylan...but other publishers..and never returned. But, I really wish I had and sort of kick myself every now and then.

To ban someone is really, really weird.

I mean, you can just get a friend to order it (and return it) for you, right? Totally stupid.

I just want to tell you that I am so sorry. I have bought a few stinkers in my day..not from Dylan...but other publishers..and never returned. But, I really wish I had and sort of kick myself every now and then.

To ban someone is really, really weird.

I mean, you can just get a friend to order it (and return it) for you, right? Totally stupid.

:lol:

And....also :iagree:with what you are saying.

I'm glad the OP cleared their name, but it's too funny that we all went right to Sonlight as the culprit. :lol:

The only thing I've heard about WP is that the wait time for orders is on the extreme end of long.

I actually had another one in mind all along that no-one has hinted at yet.:D

It doesn't make sense anyway...why ban you from BUYING? If they were going to "ban" something...why not just ban you from returning? That seems to make more sense.

And the truth shall set you free!!!

OK, sorry....I'm in a weird mood right now. The anxiety of not really knowing who this is is starting to get to me.

I'm glad the OP cleared their name, but it's too funny that we all went right to Sonlight as the culprit. :lol:

The only thing I've heard about WP is that the wait time for orders is on the extreme end of long.

Could it be that we all thought Sonlight because the tag said "rhymes with blight" and then they cleverly changed it to "dylan thomas". Now look at the tag. Somebody.....who shall remain nameless at this moment (and no, it's not me)......is having a lot of fun messing with our minds!!

ETA: I wish I could insert a little smiley wringing his hands and saying "Bwahhahahaha!" I think it would be appropriate....but I can't find one.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

Could it be that we all thought Sonlight because the tag said "rhymes with blight" and then they cleverly changed it to "dylan thomas". Now look at the tag. Somebody.....who shall remain nameless at this moment (and no, it's not me)......is having a lot of fun messing with out minds!!

Not you, eh? Then how do you know, hmmmm? :lol:

Could it be that we all thought Sonlight because the tag said "rhymes with blight" and then they cleverly changed it to "dylan thomas". Now look at the tag. Somebody.....who shall remain nameless at this moment (and no, it's not me)......is having a lot of fun messing with our minds!!

ETA: I wish I could insert a little smiley wringing his hands and saying "Bwahhahahaha!" I think it would be appropriate....but I can't find one.

I think it's because while many people like Sonlight's curriculum, they kind of have a reputation of being...a pain (making people pay for the forums, for example).

My 3 thoughts were Sonlight, Oak Meadow, or Winter Promise. The suspense is killing me.

Not you, eh? Then how do you know, hmmmm? :lol:

Well, to be honest.....I'm not smart enough to know how to add a tag (hmmm....I'm thinking you might click on Tag???). Let's just say I've been in some secret conversation with the perpetrator. I'll leave it at that. :D

Edited by ~AprilMay~

Has anyone else been banned by a particular company from ever buying their materials because, over time (5 years), you bought and returned too many items? I can see their point, I suppose. It was the insinuation that I was 'stealing their intellectual property' that got me. Apparently, their lawyers say I am a risk?! Of what I would like to know...indecision? hard to fit kids?:confused:

Now I would not even want to use anything from them again anyway. I am so embarrassed and feel like crying. It was so hard to figure out what level I needed and when so I kept buying the different guides to see them in hand. I am sadden because I really like their books and approach. Now I have to start over.

:rant::rant::rant:

Talk about presumed guilty until proven innocent! What does my wife have to do to prove that she's not just taking their intellectual property and recycling it in any way?? I'm quite aware of the times that we've ordered materials while my wife has deliberated over what curriculum to use, and at what level. It does kinda drive me barmy - we've had discussions about all sorts of purchasing decisions including home school purchases where she's included me and I say - "sure it sounds good" - and then we find that something just isn't a good fit for our family.

Unfortunately, it's not like buying a car where you get to test drive before committing, or like buying a house where you can walk through and see what fits. It's not quite like going through a store where you can leaf through the pages and compare products - it's just so difficult to find the right fit for each child.

My wife won't name names, but I will - Oak Meadow decided to implement some "new system" (apparently just for my wife...) having lamented in recent calls that we've purchased and returned a lot (nothing's been written in or used OR RECYCLED in any way), someone evidently decided that she needed to be flagged in some way in order to prevent loss of intellectual property. We like their materials, and I had high hopes of settling with them long term with the little ones... but someone's decided that Training5's should be banished!

:angry::mad:

:chillpill:

g.

yep I do use Sonlight it was great for my oldest.

but the direction they are going now is not looking good.

pretty sad reputation for them isn't it.

The reasons you stated for buying and returning items... needing it in hand, not a good fit, wrong level, are the reasons I don't buy to begin with. If more publishers were willing to make large samples available then we/they wouldn't have this problem. As for feeling bad, you shouldn't. It's their loss. Obviously their products aren't worth your time and $$. Chalk it up to a learning experience that even the HSing community (publishers) can be cut throat and rude.

Talk about presumed guilty until proven innocent! What does my wife have to do to prove that she's not just taking their intellectual property and recycling it in any way?? I'm quite aware of the times that we've ordered materials while my wife has deliberated over what curriculum to use, and at what level. It does kinda drive me barmy - we've had discussions about all sorts of purchasing decisions including home school purchases where she's included me and I say - "sure it sounds good" - and then we find that something just isn't a good fit for our family.

Unfortunately, it's not like buying a car where you get to test drive before committing, or like buying a house where you can walk through and see what fits. It's not quite like going through a store where you can leaf through the pages and compare products - it's just so difficult to find the right fit for each child.

My wife won't name names, but I will - Oak Meadow decided to implement some "new system" (apparently just for my wife...) having lamented in recent calls that we've purchased and returned a lot (nothing's been written in or used OR RECYCLED in any way), someone evidently decided that she needed to be flagged in some way in order to prevent loss of intellectual property. We like their materials, and I had high hopes of settling with them long term with the little ones... but someone's decided that Training5's should be banished!

YIKES!! :glare:

Just goes to show their reputation outside of their own forums :glare:

HA there are times that is the reputation in their forums.

Have you seen some stuff about the no book descriptions in the catalog?

I think some of those are on the public forums

That really stinks. I'm sorry that happened to ya'll. I would be really steamed too. It's not right. :cursing: Thank you for telling who it is. I won't do business with them. Sorry if we were being too comical about the tags and trying to guess. It's just one of those weird nights. But, we do all understand how upsetting this must be to you and your wife.

Yikes. That seems a little crazy.

Do you have a local homeschool list? Maybe somebody has materials for you to take a look at?

I agree completely!! That is nuts. If I wanted something of theirs, I would just buy used....and sell it if in didn't want it. Come to think of it, I do that a lot:001_huh:

Faithe