Menu

Bookshelves that do not bow and do not cost a small fortune

SJ.

Does such a thing exist?

I am in desperate need of some bookshelves. DH hates that over time our shelves have bowed due to the weight of the books. I am looking online at Ikea, does anyone know if their shelves will bow over time? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

SJ

Our Ikea expedit shelves have held up and are holding up well. I like having all of the little cubbies so there isn't a huge long row of books to keep propped up with bookends. I store manipulatives and other materials on mine in addition to books.

I think since they don't have a huge span without support maybe they don't bow as easily?

The only Ikea shelf I have that is sagging is the one where I jammed in some books on top of the books and the extra pressure is causing a slight sag. Not even my cheapo Kilby bookcases that are double-lined (and occasionally double stacked) with paperbacks are sagging. All of my bookcases are at least 5 years old.

The sturdiest bookcases I own were intended to be an open media stand kind of thing and they were a discontinued item in the reject area. They have two exceptionally sturdy shelves that fit even oversized textbook-sized books and a 6" tall center shelf that holds random items. They even have the potential to be stackable. Best $20 I ever spent. My point is that sometimes, a bookshelf doesnt have to actually say "bookshelf" for it to be an awesome bookshelf!

Edited by Ailaena

Billy Bookcases!

I agree! My daughters each have a Billy Bookcase from IKEA in their bedrooms, each completely full of hard bound books. The shelves haven't sagged and the bookcases are over a year old. I plan on getting two of these bookcases for my living room next time I'm near an IKEA. They are only $49.99 - such a steal! Here's the link for the Billy Bookcase.

billy-bookcase__57384_PE162946_S4.jpg

I have four different styles of bookcases that are made out of particleboard and a couple small ones made from wood. I think the ones from Ikea have held up much better than the others. I have two skinny Billy shelves. The bowing is minimal. My shelves are stuffed. Do not buy bookshelves from mass merchandisers (Target, Walmart type stores), if you have Ikea has an alternative. If you can find wood furniture, esp stuff for institutions like a library or school, don't think twice!

DH and I made some from a sheet of plywood. I designed them to be deep and high enough to comfortably hold binders. I painted them a creamy white and top coated them with a water based polyurethane. They are super stable and rugged. Even though dh has a table saw, I would have the lumber store cut them next time for ease. Even without a lot of tools, you could have the store cut all your pieces and assemble with a power drill.

I have a Kreg jig now, so my next bookshelves will be really cool.

I know that I'm just one more in a chorus of "Billys", but I've gotta say it:

Our Billy bookshelves (and our count is now 7) have been stuffed with books since 1992, have moved all over with the military, and not one of them is bowed. (Waving at Regentrude - our Billys have parallel lives).

Other lines of bookshelves from IKEA that we've tried have bowed, though. And I like expedits, but we have more problems with breakage where the pegs go in with those.

We have had some of our Leksvik bookshelves from IKEA for almost 10 years with no bowing (and I seriously overload them).

Here, too. The Leksvik bookcases are solid pine and have held up very well to lots of book weight over years and years.

Here's a link to something in that series... http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90119274/ but I don't think they carry the bookcases any more. :sad:

I agree! My daughters each have a Billy Bookcase from IKEA in their bedrooms, each completely full of hard bound books. The shelves haven't sagged and the bookcases are over a year old. I plan on getting two of these bookcases for my living room next time I'm near an IKEA. They are only $49.99 - such a steal! Here's the link for the Billy Bookcase.

billy-bookcase__57384_PE162946_S4.jpg

We have two of these in our living room. They look really nice, no bowing at all. I concur with the pp who said not to use them as a ladder, though...

We have Billy's in the schoolroom and they have held up really well for 6 years....actually the bookshelves are our only IKEA furniture with which I have been 100% satisfied.

Here, too. The Leksvik bookcases are solid pine and have held up very well to lots of book weight over years and years.

Here's a link to something in that series... http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90119274/ but I don't think they carry the bookcases any more. :sad:

It's a bummer to me too! I actually have the piece you linked. It's our art cabinet. All our homeschool furniture is Leksvik. I have three regular bookcases, three bookcases with cabinet bottoms, a china cabinet (holds our tea sets for poetry teas and crafts/handiwork stuff), the little buffet you linked and the bigger buffet that's on the same page, the armoire (to store my Desk Apprentice, laminator, etc. Oh, and (seriously!?) and I have the desk in my bedroom. :lol: To say I like the line is an understatement, I guess. :tongue_smilie: I was so irritated when they discontinued it. I thought it would be a line that would be produced indefinitely. On the bright side, no more would fit in any schoolroom I ever have anyway. :D

It's a bummer to me too! I actually have the piece you linked. It's our art cabinet. All our homeschool furniture is Leksvik. I have three regular bookcases, three bookcases with cabinet bottoms, a china cabinet (holds our tea sets for poetry teas and crafts/handiwork stuff), the little buffet you linked and the bigger buffet that's on the same page, the armoire (to store my Desk Apprentice, laminator, etc. Oh, and (seriously!?) and I have the desk in my bedroom. :lol: To say I like the line is an understatement, I guess. :tongue_smilie: I was so irritated when they discontinued it. I thought it would be a line that would be produced indefinitely. On the bright side, no more would fit in any schoolroom I ever have anyway. :D

Kristina, you are so funny! I guess you DO like the Leksvik series. :lol:

I like it too. If I had had more money to purchase furniture, I would have gotten more. We have the nesting side table/bench/stepstool trio and two of the bookcases. The table trio is the most flexible piece of furniture we have. The bench/footstool can be a small child's desk and chair. The table/bench can be a larger child's desk and chair. The table has served in many rooms over the years. The footstool was once a potted plant stand, too. Love that trio!

Edited by zaichiki

Kristina, you are so funny! I guess you DO like the Leksvik series. :lol:

I like it too. If I had had more money to purchase furniture, I would have gotten more. We have the nesting side table/bench/stepstool trio and two of the bookcases. The table trio is the most flexible piece of furniture we have. The bench/footstool can be a small child's desk and chair. The table/bench can be a larger child's desk and chair. The table has served in many rooms over the years. The footstool was once a potted plant stand, too. Love that trio!

Oh, I never saw the trio of tables! I will pine for it forevermore. :nopity:

:lol:

We have the Billy bookcases which are at most 3 years old and though they are sturdy, a couple of shelves have slight curving/bowing.

Then again, one of them has 2 complete sets of Childcraft and a reproduction of Webster's Dictionary, from 1828. The other has 37 volumes from the American Junior Heritage Library/Horizon Caravel.

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't follow the Dewey Decimal System so literally when I organize. OK, maybe I shouldn't collect so many books but I was hoping to find sympathy here, of all places. :tongue_smilie:

Yep--- our Ikea "Billys" are holding up really well. Another "Billy" feature that I really like is that we chose 1/2 glass (on top) and 1/2 panel (on bottom) doors for them. You can keep the more orderly books on the top where they can be seen and still look nice while hiding the messier homeschool stuff on the bottom shelves. Very practical!

We have had some of our Leksvik bookshelves from IKEA for almost 10 years with no bowing (and I seriously overload them). DD also has a Hemnes bookshelf and an Expedit unit with no sagging at all after a few years. I dream of doing a whole room library-style in Billy book cases.

My sister has these and loves them. I just looked them up on Ikea and they don'y have them anymore. I'm looking for wood...

Oh, I just found this bookcase that looks similar, Vallvik

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80193655/

Edited by LNC

We bought our first set of Billy bookcases 12 years ago when we lived in Germany. We moved them to another city in Germany, to NC, to Hawaii and back to NC. I tend to put heavy reference books like dictionaries on the bottom. There is only one shelf (out of the 8 Billy bookcases in my house, many double-stacked with paperbacks) that is bowing a little, and it is packed with textbooks. I guess I should move those to a bottom row?

I also have a few Expedit shelves. None of those shelves bow, but I don't think they'd be practical for paperbacks.