Menu

Test your Civics Knowledge against elected officials :) (s/o Lunch Scholars)

I'm not sure this is a great test. For instance, I thought the question on FDR and supreme court was trivial (he didn't do it, no effect, trivial), I thought the question involving philosophers was interesting but not really on topic. I also thought some questions weren't purely factual but contained opinion.

:iagree:

And one could quibble the Puritans did come to the New World in search of religious freedom. But oh well. I scored a 78%. :D

And one could quibble the Puritans did come to the New World in search of religious freedom. But oh well. I scored a 78%. :D

No you couldn't! They didn't object one bit to an established and mandatory state religion - they just wanted to be the ones doing the establishing. They wanted the freedom to worship in their own way, yes, but they didn't believe in "religious freedom" as a principle. At all.

I agree some were politically skewed.

Yes, I got two just by following the tenor of the questions prior.

Actually, ladies, we just got sucked into someone's agenda (not the OP's). You are told there are all these horrible low scores, you take the test and feel great about yourself while getting reminded about religion and abortion, thus associating a good feeling with current "conservative" opinion. :D

Me too!

The wording of the correct is semantically the wrong answer; if gov't tax = spending, that does not translate to tax per person being equal.

It was a trick question because it wants you to think it has to do with taxes, when it is just simple math.

If total taxes = total gov't spending, then avg tax/person = avg gov't spending/person

So if there are, say 1,000 citizens :), and you say that the total tax taken in (T) is $8000 and total gov't spending (S) is $8000.

T = S

Therefore,

T/1000 = S/1000

Basic mathematics that has nothing to do with tax rates.

I also got 100% but feel some of the questions were poorly written and/or debatable.

Bill

:iagree: They definitely had an agenda. My least favorite question was the one about the "public good." Although I chose the "correct" answer, none of the answers were actually correct.

Actually, ladies, we just got sucked into someone's agenda (not the OP's). You are told there are all these horrible low scores, you take the test and feel great about yourself while getting reminded about religion and abortion, thus associating a good feeling with current "conservative" opinion. :D

This "test" is the equivalent of a "push poll." It is designed not to be a test of ones "civic knowledge," but to shape or shift attitudes on issues such as globalism.

Definition of "push poll" from Wikipedia:

A push poll is a political campaign technique in which an individual or organization attempts to influence or alter the view of respondents under the guise of conducting a poll.

Bill

This "test" is the equivalent of a "push poll." It is designed not to be a test of ones "civic knowledge," but to shape or shift attitudes on issues such as globalism.

Definition of "push poll" from Wikipedia:

A push poll is a political campaign technique in which an individual or organization attempts to influence or alter the view of respondents under the guise of conducting a poll.

Bill

I agree with Bill and Kay here. Although some of the questions were indeed about civics and/or history, others were crafted with more of an inherent bias. Even if I might agree with the philosophy behind the question I recognize it for what it is.

Thank you for saying this. I felt the questions were really weird when I was taking it, and that's why I just made up stuff, and it seemed like for ALL the ones where I did this, I got them "right," but I'm sure if I take it again I'll get those "wrong." NONE of the options, for example, are even close to my idea of a public good.

76% (roughly), but that was mainly because my historic knowledge is so pathetic (particularly for a former history major). I can't wait to start studying American History more in depth with the kids. I'm shocked that I got all the econ ones correct. And I agree that some were really debatable.

I agree with Bill and Kay here. Although some of the questions were indeed about civics and/or history, others were crafted with more of an inherent bias. Even if I might agree with the philosophy behind the question I recognize it for what it is.

Yes, it was easy to tell that it was a push poll. But I'm still pretty happy that I got "93.94 %" (not just 94%, nope!). :001_smile: