Menu

Hot breakfast ideas?

strata

egg bakes and egg casseroles (labor intensive for every day but I'll make something like this on a Sunday and then we eat it for the next 2 days or so).

piece of deli ham in a muffin tin, crack an egg into the tin, and sprinkle with a little cheese and cream, bake in oven til egg is set

quiche

grilled cheese

egg drop soup (we do this for breakfast pretty often in the winter because we always have homemade stock)

french toast casserole made one day and then leftovers eaten for 2-3 days

pancakes or waffles reheated in toaster

leftovers from the night before (a regular thing around here for breakfast)

muffin in a minute (google for different recipes. We use almond flour but you can use flax meal, etc.). Basically a muffin baked in a microwavable coffee mug.

sausage- we like a local place that sells different varieties. I could eat it almost every day as a result. Ginger scallion chicken sausage, chicken rosemary, regular breakfast sausage, etc.

mock danish-google but it is basically like scrambled eggs with cream cheese sweetened to taste. I like it with a tiny bit of lemon juice added too. Not so danishy and more eggy, but a nice change and quick to make.

Edited by Momof3littles

You can bake a few potatoes & stick them in the fridge. In the morning, when you're ready for breakfast, cut one into wedges and fry in a little oil in a skillet. Sprinkle with salt & pepper, or my favorite, cajun seasoning. They fry up really fast and get nice & brown. Serve with ham/eggs/bacon, etc...

I often make bagel sandwiches, with a variation of egg with cheese/bacon/sausage/ham

Pancakes (I make a double batch and freeze the rest to have next time

Eggs - poached, hard-boiled, scrambled and toast

For a special treat, overnight cinnamon rolls - Williams-Sonoma has the best recipe I've tried yet. Labor intensive the night before, but so yummy in the morning!

I also love an egg dish (either potato or bread-based) but since those usually bake an hour, that's more of a weekend thing!

around here we like:

Breakfast tacos - so many different options. Potatoes, eggs, bacon, sausage, refried beans, cheese - the possibilities are endless! I make mine with turkey bacon and turkey sausage, but you can really use anything.

Cornmeal mush - it's like cream of wheat, but made from cornmeal. I like it hot with butter and salt - some people put cream or milk on it too.

Eggs and milk toast - poached eggs on top of buttered toast with warmed milk poured over. Especially nice on a recovering stomach.

Our favorite is cream of wheat. We eat a lot of it (we buy it from honeyville grains in the 50 lb bag).

I make a double batch (8 servings) over the weekend and keep it in the fridge in a casserole dish. During the week we scoop out of it and heat it up in the microwave on medium for a nice warm breakfast.

We're still public schooling and I work full time so we're thankful to have a wholesome warm breakfast.

I ground up bulk sausage at the beginning of the week and run it through my blender to make it finely ground. I can get the taste of sausage in my scrambled eggs without all of the fat and calories.

Our most frequent breakfast:

1T fine chopped onion sauteed in olive oil until softened. Add 3/4 cup sliced spinach. Add 2 ounces of the sausage mentioned above. Add 8-9 scrambled eggs. Add an ounce of cheese at the end of cooking. Serve 1/2 cup egg mixture with sides of fresh fruit.

We also love breakfast burritos. We use scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, shredded cheddar cheese, and sour cream most of the time. Sometimes we add sausage, bacon, steak, refried or black beans, guacamole, and/or sauteed bell peppers.

Pancakes are quick and easy. You can make regular, whole wheat, spice, pumpkin, chocolate chip, with hot apples on top, with strawberries and whipped cream on top, etc. All the same goes for waffles, though those take longer to cook.

I found this recipe in my Lancaster County Cookbook. My kids call it Amish Oatmeal ;) It is WONDERFUL!

You serve it warm with warm milk & a little sprinkle of cinnamon sugar (if desired). Let me know if you want the recipe.

I would love it if you would share this recipe!

Cheese toast is my favorite. A thick slice of good bread (preferably sourdough) with lots of cheese melted on top. I love it.

I also like sausage biscuits. I just brown some sausage and mix it into my biscuit recipe, then make drop biscuits. Yummy and satisfying. Sometimes I add cheese because have a cheese problem.

Also, you can always have bagels with smoked salmon.

We try to have a homemade almost every day. Besides the usuals such as oatmeal, cream of wheat, eggs on toast, scrambled eggs, pancakes and French toasting also do a lot of whole wheat fruit and/or vegetable muffins (apple, carrot, banana, zucchin, pumpkin, blueberry, etc), breakfast cookies (whole wheat, banana, carrot, apple, oats, etc), baked apple pie oatmeal, scrambled eggs wrapped in whole wheat tortillas, cinnamon buns, shortcut cinnamon buns (baking soda instead of yeast so there's no rising). I usually use all or mostly applesauce in place of butter or oil to cut back on fat, I try to add fruit and often vegetables to every breakfast, and as little sugar as possible.

Here ya go! Sorry so late; I just now got on here for the first time today!

Baked Oatmeal

1/3 cup cooking oil

1/2 cup sugar

1 large egg, beaten

2 cups uncooked oats

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

2/3 cup milk

1 tsp. vanilla

1. Combine oil, sugar, and egg. Add oats, baking powder, salt, milk, and vanilla. Pour into greased 8x8 pan or pie pan.

2. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Serve warm with milk and cinnamon or cinnamon sugar, if desired.

I usually double this and bake it in a 9x13 pan.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a zombie in the morning/ I usually don't eat until after 10am, but the kids need to eat sooner :) So my hot breakfast is coffee.

I try to make ahead food, and have it ready to microwave...

I used to do the mega batches of whole grain waffles, but Nutri-Grain Eggos work fine for that (for us), so we always have those on hand.

I make huge batches of breakfast burritos (about 30 at a time), freeze them in gallon bags after wrapping them in plastic wrap. The kids take out about two bags a week and leave them in the fridge - they nuke in less than a minute. Usually these are just eggs, cheese and bacon or sausage, but it is easy to throw veggies in there.

I'm now trying these new "egg muffins" - you combine eggs, some shredded cheese, seasoning, and diced green chilies- pour into cupcake tins and bake. Those also can be frozen and thawed bags at a time.

I love steel cut oats, but they take so long to make, and you have to stir the whole time! I have found a few recipes for crock pot steel cut oats that I want to try.... The problem is that I am the only one who likes it - so I'd be worried about wasting a big batch if it wasn't good re-heated.

Right now I have 90 eggs, 3 lbs of bacon, and 6 lbs of cheese (and a ton of diced green chilies) in my kitchen. I'm in the middle doing once-a-month cooking this weekend and have to cook all the breakfast food tomorrow. Of course, with my two teen boys that will probably last about two weeks - not one month :)