Menu

I have heard of families with children who *enjoy* practicing their instruments....

My ds9 violin instructor, since the first lesson nearly 5 yrs ago, has stated that most musicians dislike practicing. I've heard other accomplished musicians say the same thing. In fact, only once had I heard a child say she practices approx 4 hrs per day - b/c she likes to! She admitted that she occasionally skips a day here and there. :001_huh:

A few days ago, a friend visited some relatives and relayed their dc musical inclinations to me. In short, all of their dc enjoy practicing their instruments approx 3 hrs per day! Huh? All in ONE family?

I am soooo curious a to what shaping influences could account for this wonderful experience? Could we, also, have this in our home?? Do tell! :bigear:

Thanks!

Cheryl

My DS7 (almost 8) has been taking Suzuki piano for 2 years. He loves lessons, loves the teacher, loves performing. Hates, hates, hates practice. Tears, complaints, etc. At first we stuck with the, "In our family you learn an instrument" line. We tried subtle and not-so-suble bribes. At last my DH said, "It's okay, it's not his thing, he can stop." We told DS, who cried at the thought of stopping.

I read our teacher's Suzuki magazine where they wax eloquent about the joy of music and children who skip happily to the instrument to practice. Apparently those children live in magazine-land, because I have yet to hear of a student who likes practicing.

The only thing that has worked for us (and not consistently) is practicing early in the day and offering one new Lego piece per practice "job" finished. (Lego sets have hundreds of pieces, so earning, say, 8 pieces per day goes a long way.)

Oh, and DS7 loves "teaching" DS5 on the piano. Go figure.

We did the violin thing when my dc were younger. Suzuki was the thing to do, so I endured it, made the kids practice. I hated it. They hated it. Though I felt guilty, we finally quit.

I let them start taking guitar because that's the instrument that they wanted to play. Ds #1 plays constantly. I have to tell him to cut it out. Too much guitar. He's very talented, meaning that guitar comes very easily to him. But he enhances that by lots of practice. The other two who take have to be told to practice much of the time, but they don't dislike practicing.

So maybe the answer is either a) Find the instrument that they love or 2) Keep telling them they have got to put that instrument away and get something done! Maybe when it's something you're telling them to stop all the time it seems like it must be fun--after all, you tell them to stop playing video games, but never, "It's time to put that math book away! " ;)

My dd loves to practice. She's done up to 2 hours per day, I don't think she could find time to do 4 hours because of the other things in her life. She was 11 when she started and was BEGGING to take piano lessons. Five years later she shows no sign of stopping. For her at least, I think starting a bit later than some, combined with her wanting to take, have added to her commitment and enthusiasm.

My kids RARELY ever complained about practicing. It was just part of their curriculum. A few grumbles here and there, now and then, yes. But outright tantrums or tears or fussing, no. Why? I have no clue! I have felt blessed that it's been that way, trust me!

My oldest has always loved piano. When all three kids had spare time, the younger two would engross themselves in books, and he would go play the piano!

One thing that actually DID help my youngest WANT to practice more was a switch in teachers. She adores her piano teacher this year, and voluntarily went from practicing 30 minutes a day to practicing 1 hour a day (she was 10 most of this year)! When her adjudication was coming up, she practiced 1 1/2 hours a day--all because SHE chose to! So in our case, having a teacher they really like helped a lot!

Well, I had a four month long late start learning the violin in the public school system. But once I started, I practiced like crazy...every single day...for 5 1/2 years. Since I picked it back up a year and a half ago, I practice daily...sometimes for several hours at a time. I just LOVE playing. I have progressed beyond my abilities in the 10th grade, and they weren't shabby then.

My 10 year old dd doesn't have the same frame of mind I had when I was her age and doesn't practice unless I remind her to.

:)

I also remember my parents discouraging me from learning the violin. They said it was too hard an instrument to learn to play. I was late starting orchestra because I was taking choir, which was easier, and it was in choir that I learned to pop my knuckles.

In the middle of the school year we moved to a different region of Texas. I mentioned orchestra to one of the other students, and before I could get started with band the orchestra director stormed into the room, asked for me by name, and asked me if I wanted to learn the violin. I said YES and he told me to follow him. The band director just stood there surprised. I went with Mr. Booth to the orchestra room where the other kids were waiting and that's when I began.

WHEW!

I've been cleaning house today. I was thrilled that my week old cleaning caddy was roach free when I started!

I guess I am looking for peeps to talk to...captive audience and all that...lol.

Are you bored yet?

:)

My kids enjoy practicing, probably because it brings success to performing, which they do pretty regularly. In fact, they have both practiced their instruments every single day for over ten years now. That is amazing but true! It's definitely an expected and not-unpleasant part of our day.

but it wasn't always that way. A switch in teachers did wonders for my dd. She LOVES her piano teacher and actually "craves" playing-she wants to go to the piano and play. We were in our Bible Bookstore and she found two piano books she wanted to buy. That is what she singled out on our visit!

DS is not very good at remembering to practice, and if I don't get on him, he might not. But this week has been good and he has been picking up his guitar before I have to tell him. With him, I think it is b/c he is learning more and more and enjoys that he can actually make music.

Their father LOVES music. He sings and plays the piano. He is learning the guitar on his own right now too. So, I think it does have to do with modeling in the home. He homeschooled for me and let me go to school for a year and one of his subjects was "praise and worship music." So, I think his love for music is rubbing off on our kids.

I am so grateful too. I am totally music illiterate! I'm glad they have a father that can instill this love in them! :)

Mine actually don't mind practicing. I don't tell them they have to. Their teacher is very laid back as well. They do not sit down and practice for great lengths of time. But they will each sit at the piano multiple times throughout the day and do shorter spurts. I rarely ask them to. They do it on their own. I find the resentment nonexistent since that is the way we approach the lessons. No pressure, just enjoyment. I will ask them to share their pieces with me on occasion. I want them to play for me, the ones they love. They are quite pleased to do so.

MIne enjoy practicing their instruments. They also *whisper* enjoy every bit of their school work. How did they get so "odd"? I attribute it to our strict parenting and high expectations (quite the opposite of what most would expect, I know.) :)

Also, a great book to read if you have dc in music lessons is Raising Musical Kids. It talks about a system of practice that is very effective. It is based on tasks, not time.

My dd loves to practice her violin. SHe loves her violin and even sleeps with it in it's case in her bed. My son on the other hand while he loves both his acoustic and electric guitars, and enjoys his lessons he hates to actually practice. I am sure in my 3rd in line got the drum kit he wants he would love to practice too, but I would hate it lol. I do expect my kids to practice 15 minutes a day but don't force the issue. Ds has seen that with dd's practice she is progressing very quickily in her ability where as he is still right in the beginning of his even though he began lessons before her. He knows if he practiced daily he would improve quickly but doesn't care. I would rather he not practice and keep his love of the music/instrument then make is all seem like a chore and a battle kwim.

My two oldest enjoy practicing their instruments. My husband is a musician and I generally chalk it up to modeling in the home.

Yes, modeling is usually a very effective tool.... Neither dh nor I play instruments. We *want* to but do not have the money to do it now. Kids come first!

Also, he was begging us beginning at age 2. At the time dh was taking lessons, but then we moved out of state and he discontinued. But ds kept asking until age 4.5 when we went ahead with it.

????

One thing that actually DID help my youngest WANT to practice more was a switch in teachers. She adores her piano teacher this year, and voluntarily went from practicing 30 minutes a day to practicing 1 hour a day (she was 10 most of this year)! When her adjudication was coming up, she practiced 1 1/2 hours a day--all because SHE chose to! So in our case, having a teacher they really like helped a lot!

Oh, I have thought about this one for a couple years now!! We know ds responds to affirming, encouraging words. He shuts down under criticism. His teacher is firm and NOT affrming. Once in a while she jokes with him, compliments him.... Essentially, she is probably not the best fit for him, come to think of it in light of what you said. Thanks for sharing. It'll be hard to switch to another, but I think it's time.

We're in the "no practice demands" camp (this is true for all things...reading, writing, spelling, math, etc.). The instant there is a demand on doing something "I" think the kids should be doing, it backfires. I've learned that "it" all has to come from them (I just gently push open the doors). When the motivation does arrive - my kids are totally LIT and ready to go.

The motivation will easily come from within as soon as your children realize there are many different ways they can share their talents now, in the future, at home and in the world. As they become aware of those opportunities, they will play out in their heads how to achieve those goals - and practice toward them. Once that goal is achieved, they expand on it or look out further for a new goal.

It certainly helps to have amazing music and art instructors for your extracurriculars. Look for teachers who indeed, do "require" 30 minutes practice per day - but they won't punish if the work is not done. Look for teachers that teach in ways that make your kids WANT to do their best. Also look for teachers that are not stuck on rigidly teaching one style, book, curriculum to teach from. Good instructors will provide A LOT of encouragement for your children and help them find new venues to express their talent (enter an online art competition, compose a song for a talent show, find someone to play a duet with for a holiday, try out for piano camp, etc.). Great teachers are always suggesting opportunities and events to participate in or take in as a family. The best teachers will ask what your children are interested in learning - and find ways to fulfill that desire. We have instructors that always ask the kids if they'd like to borrow their personal resources (for art, a new kind of eraser, different pastel crayon colors than the ones in our set, heavier weight paper - or for piano, sheet music, books and CDs). Appreciate your instructors, and let them feel a part of your own family - it makes for a great working relationship.

We were so fortunate to find instructors that helped spark a personal interest in our children. When I saw the "unschooling" slash, no pressure approach work I was hooked as well and worked to help that FIRE spill into all the other areas of our classically-based home-school. This motivation can happen with anything - even math, even reading, even handwriting (my 8 yo went from ugly printing to beautiful cursive when he realized artists sign their names in unique ways), and even Latin (my newly 6th grade daughter diligently reads and does chants, diagramming and parsing in Latin so she can maybe tutor neighbor friends when they enter the local schools in our area that require it as a mandatory class during 7th/8th grade).

All you, as the parent, need to do, is find the instructor that is willing to share ideas and resources, teach about outside opportunities (beyond a yearly show or recital), and let you and your child provide feedback on personal goals and interests. The good teacher can "hide" your desire for your child to learn classical techniques and music - WHILE s/he is letting them play "twaddle". The good teacher knows the balance. Good luck!

My dd loves playing violin, but she does not always love practicing. Right now she is at a point where what she is doing requires more work and concentration. This makes practice more work, and this is not a child who loves work.:) I do think that if she had some goals (like performace in an orchestra) she would work harder. My oldest son likes to whine when we start practice, but he is a perfectionist and it isn't hard to get him into what he is doing. My second ds just hates it. He begged me for over a year to start playing, so I plan on making him stick it out at least a year, maybe two. I think his problem is that he didn't realize it would require work. He doesn't like work.

I have read a Suzuki book on learning (I can't think of the title right now), and I remember reading about kids who joyfully practice 2 hrs a day. Despite the fact the my kids really like their teacher, and despite the fact that music is highly valued in our home, my kids do not joyfully practice anything for 2 hrs.:tongue_smilie:

I was a kid---I easily practiced at least an hour a day without even thinking about it---but I wouldn't say that love or desire for practice is always based on modeling.* Neither one of my parents played any instruments and both were clueless as to the process of learning an instrument.* Nevertheless, I loved to play.

The book recommendation sounds good, though---I'd love for my girls to love practicing.* I'm also convinced that good music teachers can bring the best out of kids.* Sometimes it's just finding the right personality that "clicks" with your child.

I'm also a big fan of the Suzuki method, as long as diligent sight-reading is worked on, along with a solid music theory program. I believe the Suzuki method really stirs a desire for beautiful music.

What "separates the men from the boys" with really progressing with an instrument, however, is indeed the length of practice time.* My piano teacher was a graduate of Julliard---in fact, she had a full scholarship there---and when I asked her once how much I would have to practice in order to go to a school like that, her answer was, "You would have to practice a minimum of four hours a day."* I was stunned---and although I loved to practice, I knew then and there that there was no way I would want to put that much time and effort into it.

I think we can help create the right environment, and the book recommendation sounds excellent.* However, I also believe the desire to practice long, long hours is a God-given desire.* The work involved in order to become a first-rate musician is tremendous; I personally believe at least some of that desire is God-given, just like any other gift or talent we possess.

learned a more gentle way and have often searched for ways to inspire our dc as motivational tools. I deeply appreciate you taking time to share this.

Whereas our current teacher has many of the qualities you listed, she is lacking in a couple of the major areas...and we (dh & I) were brushing these areas aside. You and a couple others have helped me to see this and I'll be discussing this w/dh! Thanks again.

Cheryl

We're in the "no practice demands" camp (this is true for all things...reading, writing, spelling, math, etc.). The instant there is a demand on doing something "I" think the kids should be doing, it backfires. I've learned that "it" all has to come from them (I just gently push open the doors). When the motivation does arrive - my kids are totally LIT and ready to go.

The motivation will easily come from within as soon as your children realize there are many different ways they can share their talents now, in the future, at home and in the world. As they become aware of those opportunities, they will play out in their heads how to achieve those goals - and practice toward them. Once that goal is achieved, they expand on it or look out further for a new goal.

It certainly helps to have amazing music and art instructors for your extracurriculars. Look for teachers who indeed, do "require" 30 minutes practice per day - but they won't punish if the work is not done. Look for teachers that teach in ways that make your kids WANT to do their best. Also look for teachers that are not stuck on rigidly teaching one style, book, curriculum to teach from. Good instructors will provide A LOT of encouragement for your children and help them find new venues to express their talent (enter an online art competition, compose a song for a talent show, find someone to play a duet with for a holiday, try out for piano camp, etc.). Great teachers are always suggesting opportunities and events to participate in or take in as a family. The best teachers will ask what your children are interested in learning - and find ways to fulfill that desire. We have instructors that always ask the kids if they'd like to borrow their personal resources (for art, a new kind of eraser, different pastel crayon colors than the ones in our set, heavier weight paper - or for piano, sheet music, books and CDs). Appreciate your instructors, and let them feel a part of your own family - it makes for a great working relationship.

We were so fortunate to find instructors that helped spark a personal interest in our children. When I saw the "unschooling" slash, no pressure approach work I was hooked as well and worked to help that FIRE spill into all the other areas of our classically-based home-school. This motivation can happen with anything - even math, even reading, even handwriting (my 8 yo went from ugly printing to beautiful cursive when he realized artists sign their names in unique ways), and even Latin (my newly 6th grade daughter diligently reads and does chants, diagramming and parsing in Latin so she can maybe tutor neighbor friends when they enter the local schools in our area that require it as a mandatory class during 7th/8th grade).

All you, as the parent, need to do, is find the instructor that is willing to share ideas and resources, teach about outside opportunities (beyond a yearly show or recital), and let you and your child provide feedback on personal goals and interests. The good teacher can "hide" your desire for your child to learn classical techniques and music - WHILE s/he is letting them play "twaddle". The good teacher knows the balance. Good luck!

My ds is not currently learning any instrument. I loved practicing when I was a kid. I played trombone and taught myself to play piano. I never had a problem with my practice time.

Now I'm trying to learn guitar, that one is a little frustrating, and I don't like to practice as much. :glare:

My two oldest enjoy practicing their instruments. My husband is a musician and I generally chalk it up to modeling in the home.

He plays double bass and practices often. (he played with 3 different orchestras this past year) My children (who play viola and cello) still hate to practice. Sigh...

MIne enjoy practicing their instruments. They also *whisper* enjoy every bit of their school work. How did they get so "odd"? I attribute it to our strict parenting and high expectations (quite the opposite of what most would expect, I know.) :)

Also, a great book to read if you have dc in music lessons is Raising Musical Kids. It talks about a system of practice that is very effective. It is based on tasks, not time.

I've been thinking lately about switching to assigning specific things to practice, rather than an amount of time. I think sometimes that they don't really know how to practice (despite it being explained and modeled), so they see the amount of time (20 minutes - I don't feel I'm being unreasonable) as something to dread.

I am soooo curious a to what shaping influences could account for this wonderful experience? Could we, also, have this in our home?? Do tell! :bigear:

Thanks!

Cheryl

After three years of loathing piano practice I heard a peice, hummed it to my teacher who told me the name, but that it was years ahead. I told the name to my mother who got me the music and I learned one hand at a time, with big brother playing the other hand once I had it down. After 6 months of this, I played it for teacher, and she let me do nothing but Bach thereafter (it was his 2 Part Invention in F Major). I practiced happily until I abandoned all childhood pursuits (horseback riding, piano, etc) abruptly around my 16th birthday. I therefore, had 6 years of nothing but Bach, and was very happy with it.

My daughters (16 & 13), both enjoy practicing. My older dd plays the concertina, and finds practice/playing to be a form of therapy. :001_smile:

My younger dd. plays the fiddle, and also enjoys practicing/playing. It wasn't always like that for her. When she was young, and just learning to play, there were many teary-eyed days. (She started playing when she was about 6) Part of it was her age and inexperience, and part of it was her teacher. They never really saw eye-to-eye on tune choices. She began competing soon after she started playing, so much of her practice time was taken up with learning her Fleadh and Feis tunes. It kind of took the fun out of it at times. She is now *very* proficient at playing the fiddle, and she has a new teacher that she gets along with smashingly. :001_smile:

My kids play piano. They enjoy practicing! They love their teacher, who thinks they are great. My kids will never be great musicians, since it is not their passion, but I have not had to ask them to practice even once since we started lessons in Sept. They will practice at least once a day if not twice. I think it is a combination of the fact that they like what they are learning, and they like postponing regular schoolwork and chores since I usually do not ask them to stop for those reasons unless I have to.

If you had told me a year ago that this would happen, I wouldn't have believed you.

Well, I have 1 fairly musically gifted 11yo who LOVES playing and performing, but who doesn't like practicing. This kid literally can't stay away from the piano, but when it comes to practicing what he is supposed to, I have to remind a lot, and there are occasional meltdowns. But it is no different from how he is in most other aspects of life LOL! He's just a passionate kid, and the passion comes out in his music. Music is just not an option for this kid, so even if official "practicing" is not the funnest thing for him, or me, we persevere. Just hearing the expression that he puts into his playing makes it all worth it for me. Now, my almost 15yo began taking violin at age 13, begged me for a year before I gave in and let her do it, and practices without my involvement. She does great, occasionally wishes she could quit, but practices on her own daily. So I have a mixed bag of musicians in my family :o).

My children enjoy practicing their instruments for some of the same reasons the PP mentioned.

1. modeling... do you play an instrument? (If not, it might be the perfect time to start!)

2. teacher... has to be a great fit - motivating and encouraging

3. peer "pressure" (simply meaning they play in groups several times per month and don't want to be left behind in the dust)

4. enjoyable music (my oldest son loves Bach's minuets and also Star Wars... I encourage one and tolerate the other... hee hee)

5. it gets them out of math (for the moment)

6. performances require practice (perhaps you could volunteer to play at a nursing home once per month or something... we've done that before)

Also, you could try getting involved by playing duets (even if it means percussion via triangle). Also, progress charts are helpful. I made one for my ds last night of all the major scales. He knew he only had four left to learn, but seeing the chart nearly completed was a real motivator! (I got that idea, among others, from the book Raising Musical Kids. Great read!)

Also, one of the great things that I learned via the Suzuki method was to work on the trickiest passages of a piece first. (Dc's teachers call those sections the "magic spots".) Once the magic spot is down, the rest of the piece just falls into place. Concentrated practice on small sections of music is an incredibly quick way to learn pieces. It's a much more efficient way to learn a piece, resulting in less practice time and better results.

Hope that helps! Best wishes to your ds and his fiddlin'!

I know it helps my kids if I listen in consciously to their practice, and make positive or appropriately critical comments about it ("Oh, I love how you play that piece, so much feeling", or, "thats too fast, play it slower so you can get it accurate"). Even if I am busy starting off my day, showering or doing dishes or having breakfast or reading my email, I can often just tune in and give some encouragement. I think having an audience for practice helps my kids a lot....I probably could give even more in that area, even if its afterwards. After all, music is meant to be performed and heard, and even a good practice can feel really good. Their dad is not musical at all and he will come to concerts and things but only to be dutiful. It's not his thing.

No, they don't always like to practice but we do it first thing in the morning, before school starts- 8am. Often they don't even get in a full half hour, but they both progress pretty well.

My 12yodd does not like to practice. She begged to start the violin. She loves playing it. She would be crushed if she had to quit. But she still doesn't enjoy practicing. Basically, she doesn't like to work at all. Not at anything. It's hard work, and she is a little on the lazy side.

A friend of mine's dd of the same age used to really hate practice and her mom didn't force it a lot. But now she is in school and got into orchestra, and everything is completely different. She is very self motivated to prepare for chair competitions, etc. Playing every day in a group environment under the direction of an orchestra conductor with a little competition mixed in was the ticket for her.

For my dd, I'm not sure she will ever be self motivated enough until she reaches college age.

FWIW, Itzahk Perlman hated to practice as a child, too. :)

2. teacher... has to be a great fit - motivating and encouraging

3. peer "pressure" (simply meaning they play in groups several times per month and don't want to be left behind in the dust)

4. enjoyable music (my oldest son loves Bach's minuets and also Star Wars... I encourage one and tolerate the other... hee hee)

6. performances require practice (perhaps you could volunteer to play at a nursing home once per month or something... we've done that before)

Also, you could try getting involved by playing duets (even if it means percussion via triangle). Also, progress charts are helpful. I made one for my ds last night of all the major scales. He knew he only had four left to learn, but seeing the chart nearly completed was a real motivator! (I got that idea, among others, from the book Raising Musical Kids. Great read!)

Also, one of the great things that I learned via the Suzuki method was to work on the trickiest passages of a piece first. (Dc's teachers call those sections the "magic spots".) Once the magic spot is down, the rest of the piece just falls into place. Concentrated practice on small sections of music is an incredibly quick way to learn pieces. It's a much more efficient way to learn a piece, resulting in less practice time and better results.

Hope that helps! Best wishes to your ds and his fiddlin'!

Thanks for these helpful ideas. Definitely going to check out the book recommendation. We have a chart - it motivates him to not complain, but I want more than that considering this is a kid that begged us to let him play in the first place. I know dc can "change their mind" but I also know he has a natural gift and deep appreciation for music so I feel increasingly convinced that we need a change of instructor here.

Ours has used Suzuki, String Builder, Sevcik (trills & bowing tech). There has been no lack that my inexperienced eye could detect as to her competency. She jokes w/ds; communicates well w/him and has shown great perception as to his learning needs, etc. But he flourishes under affirmation and she doesn't easily part with these types of comments.

Could be she is frustrated w/him not showing what he's capable of - but again, she could be drawing him out.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I become that they are just not a good fit for each other! I can't tell you how appreciative I am of everyone's input here. It is the push dh and I have needed to "move on".

Mamagistra's tips of looking for a good teacher are a good springboard.

THanks again, All!

My children practice quite a bit too. My 13yo boy takes guitar, 12yo girl takes voice and piano, and my 9yo takes violin. They really practice several hours a day... all broken up of course. They also teach each other their instruments too. So, they all know how to play each instrument pretty well.

I have never asked or forced a child to take music lessons. Ever. They have all come to me asking/begging to take. Maybe that is key? Also, if they stop practicing, then I stop paying and we stop lessons. If they stop progressing, then I stop paying. They know that I mean business here. Dad works very hard to pay for their lessons, and they will practice and improve if they want to continue.

I also have never scheduled their instrument practice. I just simply tell them they need to practice several times a day to see any improvement. They do:)

Mine actually don't mind practicing. I don't tell them they have to. Their teacher is very laid back as well. They do not sit down and practice for great lengths of time. But they will each sit at the piano multiple times throughout the day and do shorter spurts. I rarely ask them to. They do it on their own. I find the resentment nonexistent since that is the way we approach the lessons. No pressure, just enjoyment. I will ask them to share their pieces with me on occasion. I want them to play for me, the ones they love. They are quite pleased to do so.

This is exactly our situation. I don't model it - I rarely play any more. I don't make them practice, but they know that if they show a trend of not practicing, lessons will stop. I won't pay if they don't take it seriously.

They enjoy playing. They (mostly) look at new pieces as challenges. Two of mine practice in short spurts, several times a day. My older practices less often, but he still enjoys it.

I think that my 2nd son models it for my 3rd. My 2nd son truly enjoys playing. His teacher lets him play the popular pieces he loves (like the Star Wars suite, Indiana Jones, Superman), which just fuels his enthusiasm.

My boys enjoy practicing most of the time. I've read a lot of Suzuki books and I take advantage of what I've learned from them. I also have a great box of Suzuki practice games.

My first ds plays violin because he loves the music. He's usually the easiest at practice time. We do have a firm routine - practice happens right after breakfast. If I waited until he was busy playing or doing something else he would probably be less than happy about practicing. I don't normally have to resort to extreme measures to make practicing enjoyable for this ds - he enjoys progress and loves his music. He's 8 and practices for an hour each day.

My next ds is the potential problem. He tells me he wants to quit violin about once a month. I remind him that he can quit as soon as he turns 18. He's also the first one to pull his violin out as soon as there's someone new to play for - the kid *loves* an audience. He also loves games...any game. He especially loves games where he's the only one playing so he knows he's going to win. Practice becomes easy when I pull out my box of games. In fact, I often have trouble stopping him when we're playing games. He's 6 and practices anywhere from half an hour to an hour per day.

I have learned a lot from the books I've read about the Suzuki method. There's a strong focus on creating an environment that fosters enjoyment of practicing. The book, Helping Parents Practice, has some great ideas:

http://yespublishing.com/

My boys enjoy practicing most of the time. I've read a lot of Suzuki books and I take advantage of what I've learned from them. I also have a great box of Suzuki practice games.

Sarah -

What Suzuki books have you read? And, what are the Suzuki practice games? My boys are in Suzuki piano (1 going on 3 years, the other 1 year) and I'd love to read more about it.

I've been thinking lately about switching to assigning specific things to practice, rather than an amount of time. I think sometimes that they don't really know how to practice (despite it being explained and modeled), so they see the amount of time (20 minutes - I don't feel I'm being unreasonable) as something to dread.

I have 15 years experience teaching piano lessons (and 19 years experience taking piano lessons...) I think this is a crucial point. Most kids are not really taught how to effectively practice. They really need to have specific goals to work towards in every practice session. Sometimes drilling trouble spots and working at a slow tempo or whatever else is involved is honestly not that much fun, but the pay off is worth it...hence all the comments about kids that LOVE to perform but hate to practice. I would also have to say that it is possible that some of the kids out there that supposedly love to practice really just like to play their instrument for 20 or 30 minutes but are not really "practicing" at all. I know that with my dd 5 who has done Suzuki violin for 2 years, she will play every review song she knows for 20 minutes and have a great time but when it comes to the nitty gritty work of perfecting something she balks. I don't have time to offer any specific ideas for practice but I do agree with some of the posters that a proper student/teacher fit could do wonders to change your child's attitude. Good Luck!

My first instrument was clarinet at 10 (I wanted a trombone, but got the clarinet). I NEVER practiced.

I later switched to bassoon and other than the first night where I memorized the fingerings... I NEVER took the thing home from school.

Same with bass clarinet.

I finally got my bass guitar at 14. I learned all the songs I wanted to, but I didn't practice alot unless my drummer friend was jamming with me.

I took bass guitar lessons at 16 and only practiced enough to get by... unless my drummer friend jammed with me.

I started playing professionally at 16 and only practiced enough to learn the songs I needed. I wrote songs on guitar, not bass.

I guess, for me, I do the bare minimum alone. I prefer to play with others.

just my .02 worth