Menu

Dr Hive. Dd has a spider bite

Doctor asap.

Unless you saw the spider bite her, you have no way of knowing that this isn't a staph infection masquerading as a spider bite. (And even if you did, a spider bite can develop a secondary bacterial infection.) Antibacterial-resistant staph infections can be life-threatening and difficult to treat, so any suspected infection must be taken seriously. The fact that she already has a fever worries me. She needs to be seen today, this morning if possible.

And FTR, I'm not one to go running to the doctor for every little thing. But a 'spider bite' plus a fever would have me there first thing in the morning. If they couldn't squeeze her in, I'd head to urgent care instead.

Edited by jplain

I will call as soon as they open. She did not have the temp last night, but this morning things are quite a bit worse. :ohmy:

I can see to distinct fang/puncture wounds, through which most of the pus is leaking. At first I thought it was just a wolf spider bite, but then I realized she had a steroid shot a little over a week ago, was probably bitten 3 days or more ago...so maybe the steroids were reducing the symptoms. It could be a brown recluse as we are in major recluse territory. :glare:

Yeah, sounds like even if it started out as just a spider bite, she's now got a secondary bacterial infection.

Is it totally inappropriate that I'd kinda like to see a picture? :D

:grouphug: to your daughter and you too!

My camera has recently sprouted legs and walked off. Otherwise, I might have indulged you...to the horror of many on here I am sure. ;)

On her knee. It is pretty significant, pus filled and exctremely painful. Is there anything I can do or does she have to go to the dr? She is running a temp of 100:

Haven't read the replies, but will tell you that I was bitten by a spider last spring and spent every weekday in the doctor's office for almost 5 weeks having the dressing changed on a horrendously infected bite because I waited too long to have it looked at. Better safe than sorry - take her ASAP!

ETA - so glad that you took her on in. Praying for a speedy recovery!

Edited by knit247

They are treating her for mrsa, with strict orders for the hospital should the red area grow. :glare:

So sorry for the poor thing. MRSA is scary stuff. Dd had a horrible MRSA infection in both middle ears after tubes were put in. She was 13 months old. It took a hospital stay, a pic line, and several surgeries before we got past it all.

FWIW, IME topical wound cleansing frequently is the best defense against MRSA, so be sure to keep on top of washing instructions, and of course, keeping the wound covered, and also great hygiene. (Her washclothes, towels, etc should be washed after every use and noone else should touch them.)

(And, obviously, follow the DR's orders.)

My dd had 5+ mrsa infections between 6 months and 2 years. Her diaper rash turned into mrsa infections. The doctors kept telling us there was no way to prevent it until we switched pediatricians, the new one told is to get a presurgical antibiotic wash and use it on her diaper area. I cannot remember what it is called, but it was a blue bottle and we picked it up at WalMart, in the pharmacy section. The soap was a red liquid.

After she bathed, bleach the shower/bath before anyone uses it. She nedds a fresh towel for each use. Put a little bleach in the wash with the towels. Use warm compresses on the infection. It draws out the pus and relieves the pain. We always drained, cleaned with peroxide, then covered in Neosporin and a large bandage. Use gloves or wash your hands with the presurgical scrub after dressing. It is very easily spread by contact! I got two and DH got 3 before we got really good at the disinfecting everything!! (We were also in a one room, one bathroom, apartment for most of that time.)

FYI....they generally had dark spots that made them look like bites, but none of them were bites.

No, it was something different....ugh, I wish i could remember the name!! We have not had to buy it for two years, if I went to walmart, I could find it....

I just looked it up-Hibiclens!! It was driving me nuts! This stuff worked great. When DD had an infection, we all washed with it. I used it as a body wash on her and me. It prevented the spread the last few times.