Menu

Note from piano teacher...

Dear Robin,

S had a very hard time today at piano. He could not be still even after repeated requests not to wiggle. He did well on what he had practiced but had a hard time focusing on new assignments.

Well, Mrs. Piano Teacher, he is a just-turned-seven year old boy and it has been raining for the past three days. Of course he's going to wiggle. I'm just so frustrated with the notes she sends home with him. For a long time she complained that he wasn't learning fast enough. Now he's doing well, but he wiggles. I just really think she doesn't like him. I will be finding a new piano teacher next year.

We're all looking forward to their gymnastics class tomorrow that MamaT's son teaches. :D

Do you have to wait until next year? I would change sooner. Ds has had the same piano teacher since he was 6. When he goes through the wiggles he has incentives. 10 min of full cooperation, then a treat. This can be the teacher playing, a quick jog around the building, sneaking up on me and scaring me while I read etc...

I hate notes too! I think that might be the point, though . . . .

I recall when my kid was 2.5 and her daycare teacher would write a note to say "she didn't want to sing today" or "she wasn't into her gymnastics class today." What do you want me to do, beat her until she feels chirpy and athletic?

So glad our piano teacher puts up with kids being kids - so far, anyway. I do get notes, but they tend to be constructive suggestions rather than "your kid is imperfect." I mean, I already know my kid has room for improvement. Don't rub it in.

I think the piano teacher communicated quite clearly that she didn't feel that she was able to explain his new assignments well and that this next week may be frustrating for him. -and she wants you to know that it's not her fault.

I wouldn't find this note offensive, and I would be frustrated that said child was wasting lesson $$. Unless, the teacher was always sending notes home for every little frustration. Then I would think either she had a whiney, tattle-prone personality or my child was not a good student.

In either case I would be sitting in on a few lessons.

I wouldn't wait until next year. I would start looking immediately for someone who enjoys working with young, energetic children.

Do you have to wait until next year? I would change sooner. Ds has had the same piano teacher since he was 6. When he goes through the wiggles he has incentives. 10 min of full cooperation, then a treat. This can be the teacher playing, a quick jog around the building, sneaking up on me and scaring me while I read etc...

My other two boys also take from her and do fine. She starts her lessons in September and ends in May, so that would be a simple time to pull all of them out. I'm going to have to talk it over with my DH.

We've changed the way he practices so that I wouldn't keep getting the "he's not progressing fast enough" notes. I thought that would keep her complaining at bay, but I guess not.

Notes would drive me nuts. I have a kid with attention problems and when I pick them up the teacher takes a couple minutes to talk to me. She's got other kids around but she still takes a moment, which I appreciate so much. She's honest with me too. Sometimes it's "We worked really hard today and they learned a lot. Such and such piece is coming along nicely." But sometimes it's, "Older one had a very hard time concentrating, and younger one got a little frustrated but I think she worked through it. They said they didn't practice much this week." :p

Either way, yeah, if you are going to take students that age, you want someone who recognizes that there are wiggly days and works to deal with them. And that note didn't come across like a "Hey, just wanted to inform you that we didn't get much done today due to some distraction problems." It comes across like a complaint that he didn't settle down after her "repeated requests".

I've talked to piano teachers that won't take young students, and I'm glad they recognize that it's not something they want to deal with. I know that my patience would be stretched very thin dealing with that. :) But I don't teach piano.

What's up with little notes? And when does she have time to write them? Can't she verbally tell you when you pick him up? And leave it at, S was a little fidgety today and had a hard time concentrating. Then leave the ball in your court.

When I asked my dd's present ballet instructor (also the owner) how my dd was progressing and how close she was to moving up to the next level, she replied, "I don't know. I would have to evaluate her for three months to determine..." My reply was: Excuse me, she has been taking ballet from you for 9 months now and you have no idea? We have had previous problems with this studio but my dd wanted to dance in the Nutcracker so bad that we were going to wait until after the production to quit. So I had thrown this question at her right before we quit. It just cemented our decision.

There ought to be a list of "what not to say to your clients if you want to keep their business". :tongue_smilie:

Well, Mrs. Piano Teacher, he is a just-turned-seven year old boy and it has been raining for the past three days. Of course he's going to wiggle. I'm just so frustrated with the notes she sends home with him. For a long time she complained that he wasn't learning fast enough. Now he's doing well, but he wiggles. I just really think she doesn't like him. I will be finding a new piano teacher next year.

We're all looking forward to their gymnastics class tomorrow that MamaT's son teaches. :D

I would definitely find a new teacher. There are so many good piano teachers out there! :) My son went through a couple of music teachers before we found one that was a good fit.

I don't mean this snarkily at all but what behavior do you expect from him when it is time to "work" ?

How would you have handled it had he ignored your repeated requests to do something?

I know 7 year old boys and music lessons :lol: and teachers who aren't good matches :tongue_smilie: but just curious about your expectations.

Our piano teacher will make the odd comment (no notes) as well but I have also made a point of letting her know if something is off with them before the lesson starts so she can adjust her expectations accordingly.

For example, this week - DS10 was pretty tired and I knew it would affect his ability to focus and play as well as he normally would. So I just gave her a heads up before the lesson started.

If your child is not going to be able to give 100%, then give the instructor that information so that they can modify as appropriate.

If you genuinely feel that she doesn't like your child - then that is an entirely different situation and I would encourage you to find someone else.

I don't mean this snarkily at all but what behavior do you expect from him when it is time to "work" ?

How would you have handled it had he ignored your repeated requests to do something?

I know 7 year old boys and music lessons :lol: and teachers who aren't good matches :tongue_smilie: but just curious about your expectations.

I expect him to listen and obey and my DH and I have both talked to him about it. However, I also expect the teacher to be able to know how to deal with a wiggly boy.

I had to find a new piano teacher for DS when he was six and the 30's female teacher was aghast that he wouldn't always sit still, listen and focus through the 30-minutes. Next up a young male, late-20's, professional musician, in a rock band, teaching piano on the side - totally gets what it's like to be a boy and makes the lessons fun, plus when DS gets the wiggles, his teacher gets the "let's do some jacks" and they get up and do 10.....or they'll "do some spins" and get up and spin around three times, touch their toes, they reach for the sky, then shake-shake-shake.....then back to the lesson. It works like a dream for DS7 and he's enjoying the lessons and pacing really fast because he gets those little breaks to move!

I ask how my kids (10 and under) do at every single class they take outside of the house. Most coaches and teachers look at me a bit funny, since most other moms don't ask, but I want to know because I want to reinforce the same standards out of the house as I do in the house. So while I doubt I would have gotten a note (because of asking first), I would have welcomed the note. Getting the note though would mean to me that I am free to address it as I feel fit, whether it is to make sure he gets his wiggles out prior to class or whether it is to simply ignore the note.

C says he is looking forward to S tomorrow, WITH his wiggles. :001_smile:

Sometimes people just do not get little boys.

She really wouldn't like teaching my boys, then. :D Our piano teacher remarked the other day, to ds11, "You've been bending backward on the bench like that since you were 4! You're really good at it!!" Said with a smile. It's how ds clears his head and gets himself re-focused while she writes in his notebook. She's also very good with ds7, even when he gets the wiggles. FTR, I also expect my kids to follow directions and respect their teacher, but I truly appreciate that she's able to work with active boys.

I agree, look for a new piano teacher now. I'll bet he'll progress much more quickly with someone who can work with and around the wiggles.

Cat

I LOVE my kids' piano teacher. He has all sorts of different stuff in the back, organs, electric pianos, a really old organ... when the kids get wiggly he switches it up a bit. He also only takes the younger kids for about 15m at a time. I really do love him!!

Oh and another piano teacher I know has a hula hoop and will sometimes let the kids try to hula hoop while they play. It's hilarious! One girl was so good at it though she did it at a recital!

I suppose it depends on your philosophy and expectations, but I would not be happy paying for hula hoop time.

Seriously, I think you should be looking

for a new teacher NOW.

Those notes are out of line. What a horrid teacher!

Find a nice Suzuki teacher who does positive

teaching. Our teacher is so nurturing, so sweet,

she doesn't ever say "Don't do this." She instead says

"Do this." She is a Suzuki teacher trainer, and is

the most positive, happiest person on the planet.

My husband and I have talked about it, and we are going to pull him out and find another teacher for him. I have an appointment next week with a highly qualified teacher who raised three boys and I have the names of two others (one who has four boys and the other who takes students as young as three). Thanks for encouraging me to look elsewhere!

Yeah, I think I'd go sooner rather than later to a teacher who is more adept at handling little kids, especially wiggly little boys.

We had a piano teacher who came to teach all 3 of my older dc when they were 5, 6 and 7, continuing until they were 8, 9 and 10. If one of the younger ones (usually the middle one, a girl) had wiggle issues, she'd just make the assignment for practice and move on to the next child and give the one(s) capable of longer focus that day longer lessons in the allotted time block. My oldest (who has always been more focused and serious) progressed very quickly this way (long lessons for him), but the littlers didn't get as frustrated, nor did she get frustrated with them, and they probably progressed better than they would have if they'd been made to sit through the whole lesson because they stayed enthusiastic about playing.

Maybe you could discuss having a shorter lesson with him until he grows into being able to focus for the standard lesson time.

My husband and I have talked about it, and we are going to pull him out and find another teacher for him. I have an appointment next week with a highly qualified teacher who raised three boys and I have the names of two others (one who has four boys and the other who takes students as young as three). Thanks for encouraging me to look elsewhere!

FWIW, I think you are making a good decision. We endured too long with a teacher that didn't meet our needs, and regret it to this day. I did learn a lesson, though, and when dd came to me wanting to switch riding instructors, I didn't hesitate, even though it meant driving 20 min. instead of 3!