Menu

s/o on tipping

Donning flameproof suit....

I tip 15% on pre-tax. I do it because it is expected. I have trouble justifying to myself (mathematically) why I do it. Here is my line of thought - please tell me where you think I am going wrong, because I really am trying to figure out how we as a culture decided servers should be tipped as they are. I also admit to knowing little about the ins and outs of the restaurant industry with regards to tipping.

Minimum wage in Ontario for servers in liquor serving establishment (most restaurants) is 8.90. Regular minimum wage is 10.25.

Lets say you eat at Red Lobster, and the bill is 75$

15% of 75 is 11.25. Lets say you work 4 tables in one hour that all have bills around 75$ - that is 45$ for the hour plus the 8.90. $53.90 - for an hours work! I get you might have to share with busboys, etc (how much do you have to share for those in the know?) - but still, wow!

Are my numbers way off? For those of you who waited tables in this style of restaurant - what were your typical tips her hour or shift?

I know it is hard work, and I do not begrudge anyone their money - but still. I have worked hard jobs and never come close to that kind of money. DH and I both work at jobs that take a decent amount of skill and education and earn about 1/2 that.

OK. Educate me. Nicely, preferably :D

The huge difference for those stateside is that minimum wage for servers is around $2/hour. ($2 and change, I think?) and tips bring the up to a level closer to the actual min wage.

I hate tipping as we do it now. It is expected even for mediocre service, imo.

That being said, I tip 20% on the post-tax total. Mostly because I'm lazy and it is easier to figure 10% and double it. If the service was poor I round down. If it was great I round up and add some.

And don't get me started on the whole, "TIPS stands for To Insure Proper Service" since we tip AFTER the fact!!

I wish that restaurants would just pay their employees a living wage and leave tips for GREAT service!

I've never waited in that type of restaurant. Where I have waited (in the US), my hourly rate was $2.xx. Most of my paychecks were zeroed out due to tax witholdings. It was a sports bar, so customers would often stay for 3 hours of a full game.

My sister did work in a place with a higher regular wage and obviously made more money than me in the long run, but there are plenty of customers who take longer than an hour, and many hours when you don't have multiple tables turning over. Slow nights are budget killers!

Well, in the US the disparity between minimum wage that waitstaff earn vs. minimum wage for any other job is far greater -- a quick search found 2012 guidelines listing the Federal Minimum Wage at $7.25/hr with employees allowed to discount that down to $2.13/hr for servers/waitstaff or anyone earning tips, assuming that the $5.12/hr will be made up in tips.

So, that's for starters.

Then, I'm not sure the % that is usually split out to other people, but I know some goes to the busboys, some to the bar staff (if drinks were ordered), some goes to the greeters/person who seats you, maybe some even goes to the kitchen staff, I'm not sure. But, that's still a lot of splitting out.

I don't want to guess at numbers and all, because I don't know and a search on that was way less definite, but I don't think a server keeps anywhere close to 100% of his tips.

The huge difference for those stateside is that minimum wage for servers is around $2/hour. ($2 and change, I think?) and tips bring the up to a level closer to the actual min wage.

I wish that restaurants would just pay their employees a living wage and leave tips for GREAT service!

$2!?! Ouch. That helps to clear up a few things.

I think Canada simply follows US customs in some things (like tipping) without thinking the the tipping rate In the USA reflects their poor hourly wage for servers . Our hourly wage is acceptable - so why are we following the American style and tipping high?

Edited by kathymuggle

My experience in being a waitress: not everyone tips like they should. So assuming all the tables will give 15% is high. Then where I worked you had to give 20% of your tips to the bussboys. Then you were expected to claim your tips on your hour sheet so the proper taxes would be taken out of your paycheck.

While I must admit I got paid decently overall there were times during a bad shift that I didn't make very much at all. The few times I did get paid well, I earned that money. Waitressing is very hard work.you have to have a good memory and organizational skills to make sure everyone is happy. The plates of food were also very heavy and hot. I personally didn't get too many burns but I had a coworker whose arms were covered in burn marks from the plates. Also the kitchen where I worked was not very safe and I slipped on that floor numerous times. Add everything together and the money is just not worth it.

We tip very well when we go out to eat.

Minimum wage in Ontario for servers in liquor serving establishment (most restaurants) is 8.90. Regular minimum wage is 10.25.

Lets say you eat at Red Lobster, and the bill is 75$

15% of 75 is 11.25. Lets say you work 4 tables in one hour that all have bills around 75$ - that is 45$ for the hour plus the 8.90. $53.90 - for an hours work! I get you might have to share with busboys, etc (how much do you have to share for those in the know?) - but still, wow!

Okay, I've never eaten at Red Lobster, and I have no idea if a $75 bill is typical. But here's how I would calculate for the kinds of places I do eat here in Florida.

Let's say I go to my local Indian restaurant with my husband and two kids.

Our bill comes to about $60, including a couple of appetizers.

Our server perhaps works three other tables, one or more of which may have fewer customers or people who don't order appetizers or drinks.

For the sake of ease in calculating, let's say his four tables have an average bill of $50 during that hour. (Of course, even that may not be fair, since these are the kinds of restaurants where patrons might linger for well over an hour for dinner. But let's do it this way to make my life simple.)

Assuming every table tips 15% on their $50 bill and actually leaves within an hour, my server would earn tips of $30.

One source I found says that, although it varies from restaurant to restaurant, it's not unusual for a server to share as much as 35% of his or her tips with other restaurant staff.

So, of the $30 tip he earned, my server might keep $19.50.

Added to the minimum wage for tipped employees here in Florida, my server earned $24.15 for that hour.

That assumes my waiter was the only one waiting on my table during that meal. If he is working on a team with another waiter, he would also split his tips with the back-up waiter.

Now, understand that the restaurant won't be full for every hour of my waiter's shift. He might go entire hours waiting on a single table or only two. In fact, there might be an hour early in the evening when he doesn't have a chance to wait on anyone.

And there's a good chance that at least one of his tables sometime during the evening won't tip or won't tip well.

So, there are likely to be one or more hours during the evening when he will make nothing more than the $4.65 minimum required by law in Florida.

I don't know. It doesn't sound terribly cushy to me.

I don't know. It doesn't sound terribly cushy to me.

My argument is that it could be lucrative - not cushy. Semantics, I know, but cushy implies I think it is an easy job when I know it is not.

I read your math, it could be right (and so could mine). I don't really know. Any servers or former servers here able to tell me how many people one could (typically) serve in an hour - and how long an average table stays? Once again - lets say a Red lobsters, Outback, etc kind of place....

I also get that during slow hours servers may earn very little money.

Edited by kathymuggle

In the US, are servers taxed according an estimated projection of their tips whether they actually get them or not?

Yes they are. I worked as a server while in school, and for some time while dh was unemployed. You have to report your tips every day. You can put $0 in order to get a bigger check, but Uncle Sam will add "Allocated tips" at the end of the year, and tax you according to what their projection is. Most servers reported 10% of their sales and still got allocated tips at the end of the year, and some of them didn't even make that much.

Even if I worked 25 hours at $8:50, my actual pay check for 2 weeks barely broke $200. I lived off of the tips. You would be surprised how awful some people would be. Often times people feel the service is bad, because they do not understand what we are required to do, or their expectations are a bit silly. I am saying this from experience on both sides. It is often misunderstanding, although I did work with a few very bad waitresses.

I only had one complaint against me in all my time as a server, so I am not some jaded waitress. i don't want to hijack this thread any further, but can elaborate if anyone wishes.

Danielle

My argument is that it could be lucrative - not cushy. Semantics, I know, but cushy implies I think it is an easy job when I know it is not.

I read your math, it could be right (and so could mine). I don't really know. Any servers or former servers here able to tell me how many people one could (typically) serve in an hour - and how long an average table stays? Once again - lets say a Red lobsters, Outback, etc kind of place....

People? in one hour I could serve 16 tables of any where from 2-20 people at a time. Getting a 20 person table did not mean I stopped serving the rest of my section of 16 + tables. Waitresses in lower priced places (Dennys. Cocos. Ihop) are spread real thin. and they don't just serve, they have to stock, bus table, and even wash dishes. This is in addition to side work. Bus staff has been cut back quite a bit.

Danielle

This depends entirely on the state. In Washington, our minimum wage is $9.04, and restaurants are required to pay waitstaff at least this. Tips do not count toward the minimum hourly wage.

What's wrong with lucrative? Granted, I get that the minimum hourly rate is greater in Canada, so that explains a lot of it.

Wait-staff shifts are often shorter, and some of that time is "side work" (cleaning, refilling stock, etc.) They are not usually working an 8 hour shift in which they earn that rate each hour. My attorney makes $350 an hour (talk about lucrative) but many of her hours are not "billable".

A good book on the work and pay dilemma of low paying, hard working jobs is "Nickel and Dimed".

I got this info from here:

"Seven states do no allow businesses to pay servers less than the state minimum wage. Employers in Alaska, California, Oregon and Washington must pay servers the state minimum wage for other occupations. In Minnesota, small employers -- those with annual receipts that are less than $625,000 -- can pay servers $5.25 per hour. Businesses in Montana with annual sales of less than $110,000 can pay servers $4 per hour and in Nevada, businesses that provide health benefits can pay servers $7.25 per hour"

We live in Oregon and the minimum wage is currently $8.80 an hour and is the minimum for all workers. We rarely go to restaurants that would require a tip and when we do I try to pay around 15% tip. I find tips kinda annoying personally. I just don't get why certain jobs expect it and others don't. It makes sense if your state is paying outrageous wages like $2 an hour, but why should a restaurant worker getting the same pay as a gas attendant get a tip and they don't(there is no self serve gas in Oregon).

I haven't read all the posts, so forgive me if I repeat a ton of things.

I waited tables in four restaurants over the course of ten years. I got paid $2.13/hr. In one restaurant, I got "promoted" to a certified trainer and my pay wen to $3.23/hr. :glare: It is assumed you will make up the difference between that wage and minimum wage with your tips. By law, you are required to report the tips you earn. I know many servers that do not follow that, but I always did. At the establishments that I worked in, at the end of the night when I clocked out, the computer would ask for me to enter in the $ amount for my cash tips(credit cards tips were already in the computer when I closed out those checks earlier in the shift). My actual paychecks were almost always for $0.00 because of the taxes taken from my hourly rate and my claimed tips. I know here in NC and in VA (the two places I worked), if your tips and hourly pay do not equal minimum wage when payroll is filed, they are supposed to give you the balance to make it so but even then, paychecks aren't really useful.

What's wrong with lucrative? Granted, I get that the minimum hourly rate is greater in Canada, so that explains a lot of it.

A good book on the work and pay dilemma of low paying, hard working jobs is "Nickel and Dimed".

I like lucrative.

I once worked bundling sappling in the rain and mud for minimum wage. I have worked in factories ...for minim wage. I cut off part of my finger at a Wendy's restaurant...for minimum wage.

I just do not get why the potential (and I have not figured out yet if the potential and reality match very often) for waitresses to earn big bucks exists while other jobs do not.

Lawyers go to school for very many years. That is why they earn so much money (that - and as self employed individuals in demand they set the prices and many of us have little choice in it).

Thanks for the book recommendation. I actually think everyone should earn a living wage. I do not begrudge anyone their money - I just have not figured out if servers are earning more than one would expect compared to earners in other positions that require similar skills, education, experience, etc.

Edited by kathymuggle

:iagree: and I say that as having been a waitress. We worked our butts off and some people are rude enough not to tip or tip a simple quarter. But there were those that would give a great tip that would help make up for it.

Personally, I both understand and dislike the "automatic gratuity" added to bills for six or eight people and up. Our family is ten people. It's not like we come in there with grandparents or several other families. I understand it though, because we have gone out with DH's family (and I have since refused to do so!) and they will have a waitress running all over and then walk out without giving a tip and the attitude, "well, that was her job and we paid the bill". :glare:

I got this info from here:

"Seven states do no allow businesses to pay servers less than the state minimum wage. Employers in Alaska, California, Oregon and Washington must pay servers the state minimum wage for other occupations. In Minnesota, small employers -- those with annual receipts that are less than $625,000 -- can pay servers $5.25 per hour. Businesses in Montana with annual sales of less than $110,000 can pay servers $4 per hour and in Nevada, businesses that provide health benefits can pay servers $7.25 per hour"

We live in Oregon and the minimum wage is currently $8.80 an hour and is the minimum for all workers. We rarely go to restaurants that would require a tip and when we do I try to pay around 15% tip. I find tips kinda annoying personally. I just don't get why certain jobs expect it and others don't. It makes sense if your state is paying outrageous wages like $2 an hour, but why should a restaurant worker getting the same pay as a gas attendant get a tip and they don't(there is no self serve gas in Oregon).

I've never understood the idea of certain professions being tippable and others...not so much. I've worked in service professions all my life, but none of them were in the tippable catagory. My husband is a pilot. I've often thought that a great take off and excellent landing should result in a great tip from each person onboard. :tongue_smilie: Since he works for a very small company and is contract labor for them, people stuffing tips in his pocket would help our lives in a big way.

Oh, and different restaurants have different rules as far as tipping out other employees. When I worked at a Perkins, I kept all of my tips and the busboys, hostesses, etc., were all paid minimum wage(there was no bar). Other places I worked at required me to tip only bartenders, while others required me to tip hosts, busboys, bartenders, AND food runners so that in essence, I took home such a small percentage of what I worked for (I tended to bus my own tables because I did it faster and made my turn table time quicker=more tables=more money and ran my own food, etc.) that it wasn't worth it to continue my employment there.

I was just thinking of the "no gift party" thread.

I would love a "no tip restaurant". They could have a sign stating all staff is paid a living wage. And for those who feel moved to tip there would be a jar raising money for XYZ charity.

Ah, to think going to a restaurant and not having to think about tipping. :)

I was just thinking of the "no gift party" thread.

I would love a "no tip restaurant". They could have a sign stating all staff is paid a living wage. And for those who feel moved to tip there would be a jar raising money for XYZ charity.

Ah, to think going to a restaurant and not having to think about tipping. :)

I don't like the US tipping system.

However, if we were to eliminate it, the prices at restaurants would simply go up to cover the cost of paying waitstaff more. I doubt we'd see a reduction in cost.

It would only cost more to those who don't tip/undertip.

Kathy,

I've only read a few of the posts. They covered the min wage vs server wage thing. But a couple more thoughts:

First, some people don't tip or don't tip decently.

A dinner party of two is very likely to not spend $75.

Servers have a different number of tables depending on the time of day, day of the week, etc.

Servers share their tips with the bartender, busboys, etc

Servers have plenty of hours with just one or two tables, sometimes none.

When you average it out, they are making nowhere close to $40 per hour for the week.

BTW, I *do* think that tips encourage better service. Though there are some places that believe in customer delight required as part of the hourly wage, I think food service makes more sense with this system. The average server will try harder (at least on a normal or better day) if they know their take-home pay depends on it. Now, does it make sense for Canadians to adopt our tipping standards? Maybe not.

I don't like the US tipping system.

However, if we were to eliminate it, the prices at restaurants would simply go up to cover the cost of paying waitstaff more. I doubt we'd see a reduction in cost.

It would only cost more to those who don't tip/undertip.

I don't mind if costs go up. I just wish I wouldn't have to figure out what is a good tip. What if I only order a little? What if I order a lot? What if I go at a very busy time? What if I purposely go at a slow time? What if I occupy a table for a long time? A short time? What if I have kids who they are worried would make extra work? What if said kids don't make extra work - but the fact they are kids effected the amount spent on the meal? ... Please just charge me what it costs. I'm here for lunch, not math.

This is my second-hand experience. My husband is a waiter at a restaurant in a business area (which means a good amount of business and people who typically know how to tip). We live in TX. The meals are about $10/plate.

He is paid $2.13/hr by the restaurant for waiting. He typically earns between $50 and $100 in tips for lunches, and between $40 and $100 for evening shifts. Dh typically does not have to share his tips. Waiters pay the busboy $5 if he's there. A lunch shift means he is working from about 10am to 2-4 pm. An evening shift means he is working from 4-5pm to 7-11pm, depending on his spot in the line-up and whether or not his managers stop giving him tables at a reasonable time. He will be in charge of 3-5 tables. Everything but the wage varies by restaurant - for example, dh says that most restaurants have 3-4 table sections, and at many restaurants busboys/bartenders would receive a percentage of the waiters' tips.

Credit card tips are reported automatically, and most of his tips are credit card tips. His paychecks range from $0 to $40 usually. If he doesn't make minimum wage after tips are factored in, the company gives it to him on his paycheck. On weeks where he has worked overtime (time-and-a-half - a whopping $4.xx an hour), he's received paychecks of up to $100. That is extremely rare, as the restaurant doesn't want him working overtime.

He is also a delivery driver, which is really more like catering. At his restaurant, they only do deliveries of big orders (at least $100, if not more). He brings the order, sets it up, and leaves. I believe he's also involved in getting the order ready and making sure everything's there before he takes it. He has to be at work by 9:30am for morning/early afternoon deliveries, and is finished between noon and 3, depending on what time the delivery is. There is a delivery fee, which is between $25 and $35 typically, which goes straight to him. Occasionally, for VERY large orders, it will be a bigger fee. He uses his car and pays for the gas. He does not receive hourly wages from the restaurant, just the delivery fee. Deliveries may or may not tip, and when they do it's typically less than one would tip at the restaurant.

Hosts/hostesses and carry-out people receive at least minimum wage. Cooks are paid hourly. Dh's restaurant doesn't have dedicated expo people (they make sure the food looks right and the plating is correct). At other restaurants, those people receive minimum wage as well.

Dh's monthly income can be anywhere from $1300 to $2900, depending on how busy the restaurant is, how many shifts he gets, and how good the tips are. The average was about $2000/month for 2011 - 2010 was more like $1800. The reason it's so good is because it's a good location for the restaurant and the clientele tend to tip properly. He started out working at a different location, which just closed because it didn't have enough business. There, $40 was his per-night average and there was no lunch crowd. Once he made $17. I feel very lucky that dh's job is enough to support us - if he worked closer to home, he wouldn't make enough.

Dh's job does not offer health insurance or any other benefits to part time employees, which is what waiters and probably everyone else besides managers are classified as. They do offer some sort of 401k program.

I tip 20% unless the service is exceptionally bad or good. I've done this since I was old enough to be the one tipping. The standard tip is 15% - anything below that is considered insulting/they thought the service was bad or didn't know how to tip. Anything above that is welcomed.

Edited by Hannah C.
clarification

I think that on average, a tipped waiter/waitress makes out OK. Not cushy, but not starvation wages either.

I like the tipping custom. When people go to a restaurant (around here, anyway), it's supposed to be a treat, and we want to be treated well. If the wait staff is going to be paid the same regardless of how the customers are treated, well . . . . I want my wait staff to smile at me and be cheerful about questions and not grimace at my kids for being kids. I would rather pay the 20% tip than pay a little less and be treated the way I'm treated at a convenience store check-out.

There are plenty of ways to avoid tipping if that's what you want to do. No-tip buffets, fast food, carry out, picnics, home cooking. But for "fine dining," I think tipping works.

When people go to a restaurant (around here, anyway), it's supposed to be a treat, and we want to be treated well. If the wait staff is going to be paid the same regardless of how the customers are treated, well . . . . I want my wait staff to smile at me and be cheerful about questions and not grimace at my kids for being kids. I would rather pay the 20% tip than pay a little less and be treated the way I'm treated at a convenience store check-out.

Maybe customer service would be better overall at non-tipping places (stores, businesses, etc.) if tipping were the norm and employees were paid based on how happy the customer was with the service? :confused:

I have found many retail places MUCH worse than the worst waiter/waitress I ever had!

Ten years ago, I worked as a server for a Midwestern burger-joint chain for two years.

Here it is, my master rule on tipping:

(Assuming gratuity is not already added on to your check) tip the greater of:

a.) 20% of the total bill*, or

b.) $1 per person per hour**

* This is the amount that you would have paid before you applied your coupons, gift card, or in-store discounts (such as Kids Eat Free on Wednesdays! or other such discounts.)

**I worked at a place where people would come in, sit for 3 hours, leave a sticky coffee/creamer mess, and leave me a quarter. If I go somewhere to drink coffee, I will tip at least $1 for every hour that I am there, even if my total bill is $2.39 (not that ever happens anymore, but it did before I had kids.)

Ugh, I still have the waitress dreams. I wake up in a cold sweat: "Oh, no! Table 10 asked for ketchup and I forgot about them!" :D

Edited by Element

Maybe customer service would be better overall at non-tipping places (stores, businesses, etc.) if tipping were the norm and employees were paid based on how happy the customer was with the service? :confused:

I think you're right. Just imagine phone support for cell phones, computers, etc! :lol:

I think that on average, a tipped waiter/waitress makes out OK. Not cushy, but not starvation wages either.

s.

I waited tables for years and the wages were quite decent. However, there were zero benefits. I worked at nice restaurants & really hustled. One thing that was true everywhere I worked though: mediocre male waiters made better tips overall than the best female waitresses. There was a really active but probably unconscious sexism operating. The very nastiest customer I ever had though was a woman who verbally berated me because she said that I didn't fill her coffee as full because she was a woman. :001_huh: Apparently, she went around measuring? :lol: (Refills were unlimited and free.)

That being said, I tip 20% on the post-tax total. Mostly because I'm lazy and it is easier to figure 10% and double it. If the service was poor I round down. If it was great I round up and add some.

And don't get me started on the whole, "TIPS stands for To Insure Proper Service" since we tip AFTER the fact!!

This is us exactly. My standard is 20% and I alter if I do not think the service meets that.

This actually isn't true in every state. Washington has a minimum wage of $9.04/hour, and that is for everyone (except 14 and 15 year olds who only have to be paid 85% of the regular minimum wage). Tipped employees do not get less than other employees here. However, the norm is still to tip the normal amount (generally about 20%).

As several people have mentioned, tipped employees are taxed based on what their expected level of tips is. I believe this is also true in Canada.

I know that the majority of people I've known, both in Washington and in Canada, who work as waiters aren't exactly rolling in the dough. Servers are lucky enough and have enough experience to work in very high-end restaurants generally do reasonably well here. The ones who don't work at the highest-end restaurants are not nearly as well off.

Edited by Sun

* This is the amount that you would have paid before you applied your coupons, gift card, or in-store discounts (such as Kids Eat Free on Wednesdays! or other such discounts.)

**I worked at a place where people would come in, sit for 3 hours, leave a sticky coffee/creamer mess, and leave me a quarter. If I go somewhere to drink coffee, I will tip at least $1 for every hour that I am there, even if my total bill is $2.39 (not that ever happens anymore, but it did before I had kids.)

Ugh, I still have the waitress dreams. I wake up in a cold sweat: "Oh, no! Table 10 asked for ketchup and I forgot about them!" :D

:iagree: I love the idea of $1/person/hour "rule" - will remember that and use it in the future. :001_smile:

When dd was about 2 days old, she woke up in the middle of the night. At that point I was so weak and in pain from the birth that I couldn't even lift her. I was trying to wake dh up so he could pick her up and change her...and he swatted at me and mumbled "potatoes." At that point I knew he was still asleep, dreaming that he was at work...and I started crying, because I was so miserable and I knew he was SO tired that he might not wake up! Thankfully he woke up soon after that. It's funny now. :D

---

:iagree:

If we were in one of those states (where they get min wage) the way we tip would change drastically. The we would only tip according to service. It seems silly to customarily give a gift to someone whose income already relies upon you going there (we rarely tip owners for instance). IOW, pay the bill and you've paid part of their check.

I read an article about a man that would put his tip on the table when he sat down. It would start off as a stack of ones amounting to 20% of what he planned on spending. He would tell his server that this was their tip. For the rest of the meal, if his drink went empty, if they forgot his ashtray (this was an old article), or if service was subpar, he would take a dollar from the stack each time. I could not imagine doing it myself, but the idea appeals to me. Everything's on the table. I will tip well, but only if you deserve it, not because I eat here often and am hoping for good service next time I come in. At the same time, if that stack dwindled too low I guess you wouldn't get any service at all.

I have to disagree. I live in a country that does NOT tip for services of any kind and it shows in the utter lack of customer service. They get paid either way so getting good customer service here is like spotting a Yeti.

Ten years ago, I worked as a server for a Midwestern burger-joint chain for two years.

I hated that when I was a server. People come in, take up a table forever and then barely tip. I could have had two more tables come in and leave and made so much more money if it wasn't for that. I always appreciated the ones who compensated me for the time as well. :)