Menu

Do you despise glitter?

:D

We're making valentines right now and it's got me wondering...

I don't know if it was here, but I remember some people complaining about it a while ago. Typical obvious stuff, it gets everywhere, it can get in you eye, sticks to your skin/scalp.

Since we're about to make 50ish cards I thought I'd ask.

AH! I just remembered about glitter glue!

I'm still wondering though. I've got a lot of bottles of this stuff. :001_smile:

:bigear:

Glitter is my life! You can't be a bellydancer and NOT end up with glitter everywhere. At my dog's last check-up she found glitter on his stomach. Embrace he glitter!

:lol: I just can't!...I never liked glitter, even as a child...I think I have some weird phobia with glitter :tongue_smilie:...I won't even buy a card if there is glitter on it!

I like glitter, but I have a weird phobia of it scratching an eyeball. I've never known anyone IRL that has had that problem. I probably developed the fear after reading a post on the WTM board. :lol:

My dad, on the other hand, still talks about the "glitter filled card and envelope" valentine one of my kids sent him years ago. It took several rounds with the vacuum to deal with "the problem". He seemed to think we did it as a mean practical joke. :confused: :lol:

Glitter glue is awesome!

I hate glitter and I won't allow it in my house. I know firsthand how hard it is to get off a person, and if I never see it again, it will be too soon.

The boys were 3-1/2 (IIRC). I bought 3 little jars of glitter to use for craft projects. I hid them in the the very back of the top of our very tall refrigerator. No one knew I had them.

None of my kids had ever climbed anything before. The entire family was in bed; it was midnight. DS1 took DD (age 2) downstairs. This was no trouble at all for DS1 because he had recently taught DD how to climb out of her crib, which he thought I would be overjoyed about. He climbed on the counter and, like a little homing pigeon, found the glitter.

This was an excellent find since he had never seen glitter before. So he got the bright idea to make DS3 see colored sparkles when he woke up. So DS1 and DD poured the glitter into DS3's eyes and on his face. He would not only see in colored sparkles, he would be all sparkly. What a wonderful idea! DS3 would be so happy when he looked in the mirror!

DH and I woke up abruptly to very loud screaming. We rushed DS3 into the bathroom and tried everything known to mankind to get the glitter out of his eyes and off his skin. DS3 was screaming bloody murder the entire time. We succeeded, but I do not remember how. I saved the how to get glitter out of his hair and off his scalp problem for the next day.

DS3 slept with us that night, to protect him from any more of DS1's bright ideas. We took him to the doctor the next day and his eyes were not damaged. We didn't think they were because he could see and was not in pain once the glitter had been washed out.

Edited by RoughCollie

Hate, hate, hate glitter. Normally it is banned from the house, but youngest dd got some from Grandma for Christmas and I couldn't exactly say no to a Christmas gift. Within minutes of coming home the glitter had spilled. This was the worst glitter clean-up I have ever had to do because it was really fine, almost a powder. I can still see parts of our wood floors that have it stuck on and that is after many attempts to clean it. So, the ban will continue.

I hate glitter and I won't allow it in my house. I know firsthand how hard it is to get off a person, and if I never see it again, it will be too soon.

The boys were 3-1/2 (IIRC). I bought 3 little jars of glitter to use for craft projects. I hid them in the the very back of the top of our very tall refrigerator. No one knew I had them.

None of my kids had ever climbed anything before. The entire family was in bed; it was midnight. DS1 took DD (age 2) downstairs. This was no trouble at all for DS1 because he had recently taught DD how to climb out of her crib, which he thought I would be overjoyed about. He climbed on the counter and, like a little homing pigeon, found the glitter.

This was an excellent find since he had never seen glitter before. So he got the bright idea to make DS3 see colored sparkles when he woke up. So DS1 and DD poured the glitter into DS3's eyes and on his face. He would not only see in colored sparkles, he would be all sparkly. What a wonderful idea! DS3 would be so happy when he looked in the mirror!

DH and I woke up abruptly to very loud screaming. We rushed DS3 into the bathroom and tried everything known to mankind to get the glitter out of his eyes and off his skin. DS3 was screaming bloody murder the entire time. We succeeded, but I do not remember how. I saved the how to get glitter out of his hair and off his scalp problem for the next day.

DS3 slept with us that night, to protect him from any more of DS1's bright ideas. We took him to the doctor the next day and his eyes were not damaged. We didn't think they were because he could see and was not in pain once the glitter had been washed out.

Such a cute story. Glad all turned out well though.

I like glitter, but I have a weird phobia of it scratching an eyeball. I've never known anyone IRL that has had that problem. I probably developed the fear after reading a post on the WTM board. :lol:

My dad, on the other hand, still talks about the "glitter filled card and envelope" valentine one of my kids sent him years ago. It took several rounds with the vacuum to deal with "the problem". He seemed to think we did it as a mean practical joke. :confused: :lol:

Glitter glue is awesome!

You need Eye Kandy glitter. It's made to apply to your eyes so you don't have the eye-scratching safety concerns of regular glitter :D

ac9084dc.jpg

My girls all sparkle. They have glitter in their bath products, make-up, hair spray. There is no fighting the glitter here. One of them even found a secret glitter make-up product and she won't share the source which is causing her sisters to try and borrow her stash. It is likely living in a house full of battling Tinkerbells.

I despise confetti. My kids had it at some party several years and two houses ago and I still have it in random places around the house - garage, attic, my closet. Apparently confetti follows you for life.

Demetri Martin says, "glitter is the herpes of craft supplies."

I don't despise glitter, but it isn't my favorite. I disalllow it at events where I am responsible for the cleanliness of the room.

:lol:

You guys are cracking me up!

Since posting this I found my 10yo sprinkling gold glitter on the valentine

cards (with glue). Sorry fellow valentine exchange WTMers ! :tongue_smilie:

I don't mind it in certain circumstances. We have glitter glue and dry glitter. Glitter glue is in the general craft supplies, the dry glitter is put away and must be asked for. When we use dry glitter, we use it on a cookie sheet so it cleans up easier. I find that the vacuum is the easiest way to clean it up.

"Despise" pretty much sums up my feelings on it:). I very, very hesitantly and skeptically allowed glitter glue in the house. And then I shocked myself by MAKING glitter (thank you, Pinterest!)--mixed food coloring into the kind of salt you put in a grinder, baked it @ 350 for 10 minutes, let it cool, and...GLITTER! Glitter that was easy to clean up, too. You could use regular salt, but then it's tiny and obnoxious again:D.