Menu

homeschool vs home school

How do you spell homeschool  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How do you spell homeschool

• homeschool
    • home school
    • other

Just curious because I find myself switching back and forth with no rhyme or reason and it made me wonder what says the hive.

Do you spell it as a compound word or two separate ones?

Care to explain?

I apologize, I should have made an option for using both interchangeably as well. Opps..

Homeschool, similar to homemaking or homesteading. :-)

Some friends, early pioneers in homeschooling, say they don't like the word, and that they prefer "home education." But you know, when they're just talking, "homeschool" slips out. "Home education" is just too awkward. :)

I write homeschool.

Home school seems to mean school in a home, like home is just the location. It's a home school, or a school located in a home.

Homeschool seems like home is modifying school in some way, if that makes sense. It's a home, which is also a school or place of learning. And I'm definitely not trying to recreate the local PS, so ... homeschool it is.

The Firefox spell checker disagrees with me, though. It suggests home-school, but accepts homeschooling. Go figure.

(I'm not suggesting that if you spell it home school, you're doing school-at-home, or even that a more school-y approach is undesirable. I am just talking about the impression the words themselves give me, separate vs. smushed together.)

I always write Home School, simply because it's Public School or Private School, as opposed to publicschool or privateschool. I also like the look of Home School better and it doesn't appear as a misspelling when I type it.That's what makes sense in my head anyway.

I wasted my vote on a joke response, but I actually use and prefer homeschool as one word. Home school means something else to me. My son went to developmental preschool for speech delays. They asked me what my home school was and I was confused for a second there because I'd been homeschooling my oldest for a few years by then. Now, I should have KNOWN better because I was a teacher pre-kids, but they took me by surprise.

Your home school is the school your kids WOULD attend if they were enrolled in public school. It's where the neighborhood kids go during the day if they're not at a different school for some special reason. Home School is your geographical default.

I write homeschool.

Home school seems to mean school in a home, like home is just the location. It's a home school, or a school located in a home.

Homeschool seems like home is modifying school in some way, if that makes sense. It's a home, which is also a school or place of learning. And I'm definitely not trying to recreate the local PS, so ... homeschool it is.

The Firefox spell checker disagrees with me, though. It suggests home-school, but accepts homeschooling. Go figure.

(I'm not suggesting that if you spell it home school, you're doing school-at-home, or even that a more school-y approach is undesirable. I am just talking about the impression the words themselves give me, separate vs. smushed together.)

I've never thought about it, but if I did I might come up with something like this. Proably not as coherent though. :tongue_smilie:

I wasted my vote on a joke response, but I actually use and prefer homeschool as one word. Home school means something else to me. My son went to developmental preschool for speech delays. They asked me what my home school was and I was confused for a second there because I'd been homeschooling my oldest for a few years by then. Now, I should have KNOWN better because I was a teacher pre-kids, but they took me by surprise.

Your home school is the school your kids WOULD attend if they were enrolled in public school. It's where the neighborhood kids go during the day if they're not at a different school for some special reason. Home School is your geographical default.

Ah. Excellent reason.

TWO WORDS!!!!

Public school

Private school

Distance school

Extended school

After school

Summer school

HOME school

I know it has become common practice to make it one word, but I think it looks illiterate. Like purposely accepting the murder of kittens.:tongue_smilie:

ETA: I actually don't like the phrase home school/homeschool at all. I prefer home education/educated/educator. We are not a school at all. ;)

ETA again: I also dislike supposedly artistic expression of writing. Such as "eat mor chikin". I firmly believe those cows are capable of proper spelling!!!!

Edited by Martha

TWO WORDS!!!!

I know it has become common practice to make it one word, but I think it looks illiterate. Like purposely accepting the murder of kittens.:tongue_smilie:

But none of your examples function as verbs. And none of them are a movement either. To me, this is a case where the language has grown and changed in response to specific things.

But none of your examples function as verbs. And none of them are a movement either. To me, this is a case where the language has grown and changed in response to specific things.

:001_huh: so people say

Publicschooling?

Distanceschooling?

Bowelmovement?;)

Every time someone calls something a movement, I get that image for some reason.:tongue_smilie:

Publicschooling?

Distanceschooling?

Bowelmovement?;)

Every time someone calls something a movement, I get that image for some reason.:tongue_smilie:

Does anyone actually say public schooling as two words either? I've never heard of anyone using schooling as a verb with any other type distinction. I don't hear private schooling, public schooling, distance schooling etc. but I do hear homeschooling.

Publicschooling?

Distanceschooling?

Bowelmovement?;)

No, they don't - that's my point. You homeschool your child who is being educated at home, but no one says you public school (or publicschool) your child. So the act of educating at home is routinely used as a verb - much more than as a noun - but the rest of that list is nouns more often.

Bowel movement. Heh. I do think there's something to the fact that we're the ones doing it and there's clearly a majority of us spelling it as one word though.

No, they don't - that's my point. You homeschool your child who is being educated at home, but no one says you public school (or publicschool) your child. So the act of educating at home is routinely used as a verb - much more than as a noun - but the rest of that list is nouns more often.

Bowel movement. Heh. I do think there's something to the fact that we're the ones doing it and there's clearly a majority of us spelling it as one word though.

Hmmm.

So what does a public school teacher say? They are the ones doing it, but they don't say they publicschool.

Hey, I know I'm fighting a losing battle on this one. Doesn't mean I won't still put up a bit of fight though.;)

Btw, my bowelmovement reference wasn't intended as an insult. Just a random weird fact about myself. Every time I hear that word, I instantly think of bowels. One of those odd results of having been changing diapers for 17 years? Idk.:)

I picked "other" because we use Home Educate a lot in this area, and after listening to a conference about the definition of Educate vs School, I think Educate is much more the word we're all looking for. ;)

However, if I use the term homeschool, I don't put a space in it. :D

I use home school when it is being used as a noun and homeschool when it is being used as a verb. I don't much care how it relates to public/private school references. This is how I've seen it most used and how it will probably be used most in the future (imo). I think of different things when I read home school and homeschool.

I prefer home's cool, but I'm a big-time introvert. :D I actually use homeschool.

I spell it "homeschool". The forms that I receive from the ps district spell it "home school." They probably read my reports and think,"Oh that poor kid is being home schooled by a parent who can't spell!"

I know for a fact that I didn't get a job interview once because the principal thought I misspelled adviser on my resume. The thing HE didn't know was that scholastic journalism advisers and the related community use the AP Stylebook, which prefers the adviser spelling -- both are correct. I was highly recommended for the position, and he was very vocal about my perceived inadequacy -- enough so that the story got back to me. :glare: I was happy not to have to produce a yearbook under his administration.

I write homeschool.

:iagree:

When I first read the title of the thread I thought it was a discussion about whether or not people do school-at-home (home school) or have a different educational approach (homeschool).

Did I say something funny? No offense taken, just confused:blushing:.

Um, I didn't think of breast feeding for "bfing" This is ridiculous because i was a card carrying LLL member Your screen name and my imagination conspired to make it more interesting than you intended. I blame the "I'll bet you never . . . " thread.

:lol:

Um, I didn't think of breast feeding for "bfing" This is ridiculous because i was a card carrying LLL member Your screen name and my imagination conspired to make it more interesting than you intended. I blame the "I'll bet you never . . . " thread.

Yeah, I didn't come up with breast feeding either, and I was all.... :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

TWO WORDS!!!!

Public school

Private school

Distance school

Extended school

After school

Summer school

HOME school

ETA: I actually don't like the phrase home school/homeschool at all. I prefer home education/educated/educator. We are not a school at all. ;)

ETA again: I also dislike supposedly artistic expression of writing. Such as "eat mor chikin". I firmly believe those cows are capable of proper spelling!!!!

:iagree: I'll be in the minority with Martha.:)

:lol::lol: Oh my! This wouldn't be the first time I was misunderstood!