Menu

I need a yummy recipe with a WEIRD name - any ideas?

Welsh Rabbit

Floating Island

Baked Alaska (sounds weird if you think about it)

Toad in the Hole

Bubble & Squeak

Bangers & Mash

Mulligatawny

Christmas Log

Croquembouche

Snickerdoodles

Mississippi Mud Cake

Death by Chocolate

Pigs in Blankets

and Haggis (only it really is weird)

Edited by Alessandra

Hootycreeks!

Cranberry Hootycreeks

5/8 cup all-purpose flour (1/2 cup + 2T)

1/2 cup rolled oats

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup white sugar

1/2 cup dried cranberries

1/2 cup white chocolate chips

1/2 cup chopped pecans

Layer the ingredients in a 1 quart or 1 liter jar, in the order listed. Attach a tag with the following instructions:

Cranberry Hooteycreeks

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a cookie sheet or line it with parchment paper. In a medium mixing bowl, beat together 1/2 cup softened butter, 1 egg and 1 teaspoon of vanilla until fluffy. Add the entire jar of ingredients, and mix together by hand until well blended. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.

What is it for? I'm intrigued (and nosy).

A friend is going to a young adult potluck at his church, and their food theme this month is "Stuff With Weird Names". LOL! Obviously that theme was not picked by a boring middle-aged mama like me... Anyway, my friend always asks me for recipes for these gatherings, since he totally doesn't cook, and this time is no different! I thought of a few weirdly-named dishes on my own, but nothing that satisfied his competitive spirit (not that it is actually a competition, but he is a guy, so... he is all about competitive potlucking!).

Anyway, after looking through everything, I think he is going to go with Frog Eye Salad. That sounds so gross! But also looks really good. Plus he is a total reptile lover so that kinda fits with him.

Thanks again for all the fabulous suggestions. The Hive always comes through :D