Menu

Poem from a Stepmom (I'm just hurting right now...)

I am hated, reviled, and resented.

I am disrespected, insulted, and ignored.

I am invisible, an amateur, mistrusted.

I am alone while completely surrounded.

My home is discomfort. My choices aren’t my own.

I console, advise, support, guide, and cheer.

My check supports two homes, yet I am a *****.

I long to be understood, supported, even loved.

I want to be human. I want to be touched.

I want too much.

I am a stepmom.

Coming at this from a stepdaughter's POV:

I adored my stepmom. To this day, she is one of my best friends in the world. I respect her and love her dearly.

I will say though, that my father made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that they parented us as a team. There wasn't so much as a crack in that foundation. If they ever disagreed with each other on a parenting issue, they never discussed it in front of us kids. I found out later (as an adult) that they would have those discussions after we went to bed. They always had a united front.

My father clearly respected and loved my stepmom in front of us kids too. And my stepmom always gave us the time/space we needed with our dad. She was never jealous over the relationship we had with our dad. Even as a young child I appreciated that from her.

All that to ask, have you discussed any of this with your DH? :grouphug:

I will say though, that my father made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that they parented us as a team. There wasn't so much as a crack in that foundation. If they ever disagreed with each other on a parenting issue, they never discussed it in front of us kids. I found out later (as an adult) that they would have those discussions after we went to bed. They always had a united front.

My father clearly respected and loved my stepmom in front of us kids too. And my stepmom always gave us the time/space we needed with our dad. She was never jealous over the relationship we had with our dad. Even as a young child I appreciated that from her.

:grouphug:

What a BLESSING!! I am so happy for you; what a wonderful thing they did for you. I desperately wish this had been the case for us. But the father is often the key, as you mentioned, and it's so rare to have a case like yours!

Coming at this from a stepdaughter's POV:

I adored my stepmom. To this day, she is one of my best friends in the world. I respect her and love her dearly.

All that to ask, have you discussed any of this with your DH? :grouphug:

Wow, yes, what at blessing!

My own experience with my stepmother, who raised me, is the complete opposite of this.

And now, I, as a stepmother, strive to be what you had. I hope I'm doing well. I think I am. My stepdaughter and I couldn't be more different than night and day, and yet, she posted just last week on facebook that I am the best stepmother ever. I love that girl. :)

Chin up, OP. We're here for you. :grouphug:

Thanks so much for the hugs everyone. It's just a rough day / week. It's hard being a mom / stepmom and it helps not feeling alone.

I know it will get better (heck most days are better than this one) and DH is amazingly supportive. I get down and discouraged at times, especially when DH's XW still hates me so much. I was hoping we'd have a better relationship after 10 years of this co-parenting.

Thanks for the support.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I was an unappreciated step mother for many years, and it is just difficult.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

For what it's worth my step dd mostly came around and we enjoy each other very much, mostly. We are two different people, and I used to think that caused the problems. As I get older I know that you can give birth to a child completely different from you, and still have those same problems, lol. It happens.