Menu

If you bought a book that was "Used--Like New"...

Would you expect a "Used--Like New" book to come with ancillary materials?  

1. 1. Would you expect a "Used--Like New" book to come with ancillary materials?

• Yes
    • No

If you bought a book that was listed as "Used--Like New", would you expect it to come with the ancillary materials? The book was purchased from a large seller on eBay.

ETA: This is the book, and it came without the Pop Bead People. I knew it was a risk when I bought it, especially since it was from a large seller. They are refunding my money, but I was a bit irritated with the note that they couldn't guarantee a "Used-Like New" item would come with the ancillary materials. There is no note of this anywhere on the product page. To me, "Like New" means just that, and if it's missing a major component the description should note it. Or they should have a general disclaimer somewhere. If it was any description other than "Like New", I wouldn't expect the items to be included.

I was just curious if I was in the minority.

Edited by JudoMom

Nope. But only because sometimes, people just don't know that something else originally came with the book, and they're basing the 'used - like new' rating solely on the condition of the book.

If the book is supposed to come with something else, I always make sure the other items are specifically listed in the listing, or else ask to make sure.

Nope. But only because sometimes, people just don't know that something else originally came with the book, and they're basing the 'used - like new' rating solely on the condition of the book.

If the book is supposed to come with something else, I always make sure the other items are specifically listed in the listing, or else ask to make sure.

What if the entire book was based on being able to use the ancillary materials?

What if the entire book was based on being able to use the ancillary materials?

Still no. I don't ever assume that the person selling the book has even read it at all; just that they've looked it over to check out the condition.

I suppose if the book was named 'Learn To Play the Guitar in 10 Easy DVD Lessons' or something, then yes, I would expect there to be a DVD included. But it wouldn't surprise me at all that it was missing if the DVD weren't explicitly stated as being included, or if I hadn't messaged them to find out for sure.

I love ebay but learned early on to always ask the seller questions. If there are multiple components to an item I make sure they are all there, lots of times the seller does not know what they are selling. I also never buy an item if the only picture is a stock photo.

Sorry you were disappointed but glad you are getting a refund.

Yes, I would. I would expect that, when they ran the ISBN to get an idea of what the selling price should be, they would also see that there are other parts to the book, and would adjust their description to reflect that.

OTOH, I am often astounded at people who sell books on Amazon marketplace as "collectible", with an astounding price, when the same edition is available new for $8.99 and free shipping, so...

"Used--like new" tells me what the book is like: no dog ears, no writing in it, etc. It doesn't tell me about objects that may or may not come with the book.

In buying high school level texts (which I've done multiple times), there is often a CD that comes with the book. Some sellers specify no CD; others don't. If the CD is included, many say that. So there is no "standard" way of doing it.

You're getting your money back, so your seller is reputable. Since there is no standard way of dealing with ancillary materials, ask next time to be sure. You can always communicate with your seller.

"Used--like new" tells me what the book is like: no dog ears, no writing in it, etc. It doesn't tell me about objects that may or may not come with the book.

In buying high school level texts (which I've done multiple times), there is often a CD that comes with the book. Some sellers specify no CD; others don't. If the CD is included, many say that. So there is no "standard" way of doing it.

You're getting your money back, so your seller is reputable. Since there is no standard way of dealing with ancillary materials, ask next time to be sure. You can always communicate with your seller.

:iagree:

I agree. When dealing with extraneous materials like a CD, I always message the seller and ask. I will say that when it comes to Amazon sellers, they often do not know. I guess it is shipping from a warehouse or something?

Yes, I've learned to ask too. Books with sewing patterns included almost never have the pattern envelope.

Still no. I don't ever assume that the person selling the book has even read it at all; just that they've looked it over to check out the condition.

I agree with this. As a seller I don't research the books I sell beyond looking at the condition they are there in my hands. I listed some Rod & Staff here recently as "very good condition" and had someone ask me about the year they were published. Apparently there's a newer edition, but I don't look into things like that. I would expect the buyer to ask about that if they're looking for a very specific thing.

It is the seller's responsibility to list the condition and that means knowing what the book should look like in brand new condition. In this case, that book was not just a book but included materials. I would expect no differently from a book with a cd. It isn't right to quibble over words. When someone lists LIKE NEW, I really do expect to see it in a condition that is so near NEW that I wouldn't know it was a used item.

As a seller, I try to be as clear as possible about what I know, so I usually list ISBN, copyright date, and edition. I usually spell out whether there is highlighting or not (explicitly saying 'no highlighting" if there is none, so it's not left to assumptions), whether or not there is other writing, condition of binding, any creases or tears, etc. If the book was something like a Klutz book that obviously came with stuff, then I'd mention if it was missing, but it's not always obvious as it would be with Klutz, for example an origami book might have originally been part of a kit.

Keep in mind that sellers might be selling their own stuff (which they know the history of), or might be selling for a friend, or might be selling something that they found at a thrift or garage sale or box of hand-me-downs. Depending where they got it, they may not know something is missing.

As a buyer, I have learned to only buy from people who provide very specific descriptions. I will pay more for an item with a more specific description, as "very good" means nothing without specifics, despite guidelines from Amazon. If the description is not clear, I'll ask the seller (on eBay), or move on to a higher-priced item with a better description (on Amazon).

On Amazon, I am able to list my books at significantly higher prices, and still have them sell, because I give such specific information about the particular copy I have in my hand, that buyers are confident that buying from me will save them time and hassle in the long run. This means I can compete with the big used book sellers, who don't have time to write a separate, specific description for every book they sell.

I don't really expect a "used - like new" item to come with all its accessories. Accessories vary greatly in usefulness or importance. I can think of a gorgeous Lego book that comes with one small figurine. The figurine, while cute, is hardly necessary to enjoy the book.

A book such as the Op ordered, though? Yeah - I would be annoyed if it did not come with its parts as they are essential to its enjoyment.

I have bought a number of books from amazon that are supposed to have a CD included -- it often is part of the item description. I've learned the hard way that "like new" doesn't mean much. I think sellers just plug in a bunch of ISBNs and don't think about the product description as including a CD.

I hit a new low on this when I bought a book described as "new" -- not even "like new" -- and the Cd was missing,

It is the seller's responsibility to list the condition and that means knowing what the book should look like in brand new condition. In this case, that book was not just a book but included materials. I would expect no differently from a book with a cd. It isn't right to quibble over words. When someone lists LIKE NEW, I really do expect to see it in a condition that is so near NEW that I wouldn't know it was a used item.

:iagree:100%

That said, I have been burned and ask now if it is not specified.

Yes, (sometimes) but it's prudent to ask before buying if you know the ancillary materials are vital.

Some exceptions would be an art book that originally came with charcoal pencils and canvas or a manual that came with a student workbook. In those cases I would expect the original book to come "Like New", but I wouldn't expect the extraneous items unless the seller specified that they were still with the product.

In one way yes, like new should include any cd or extra materials that were part of the book when sold new.

In reality-most of those used booksellers have no idea about those sorts of things and they are referring to physical condition, amount of highlighting in the text etc. If the extra materials were important I'd contact them in advance of purchase. (Also, many text book publishers that offer a cd/internet links etc. only offer this for the original purchaser-those who purchased used are excluded. Not in every case but in many. This may be why a used book seller isn't concerned about ancillary materials in some cases.)

But-I might also contact them after the fact and mention it and if they weren't that understanding I might ding them in a review for it. I'm not advocating being nasty in a review-just mention your experience with their definition of like new.

You might contact the publisher and try to buy the ancillary materials direct from them if the book is still in print.

I voted 'no'.

I would *like* the extra materials to be there, but unless a listing explicitly included them in the description, then, no, I would not expect them to be there.

Honestly, if I was counting on the items and the listing didn't mention it, and the buyer wasn't contacted beforehand to confirm, I would skip that listing and find another one. I have done that several times.

I would like to qualify my reply/vote with the mention that I have no idea if the missing materials are essential, or just 'extras'. If they are essential, then, yes, I would expect the items to be there. And, like others, if an item is "like new" I expect it to be LIKE NEW with all materials, but I have been burned before so I don't assume anything anymore. Hence, the reason for my vote.... I don't *expect* it, but would like it.

I'm sorry you were disappointed.

It's not "like new" if it's incomplete.

Additionally, even if it was listed as being in "good" or "acceptable" condition, I think a seller should mention if components of the book are missing.

Generally speaking, if the Amazon description of the book includes info on the extras that come with it, I assume those extras are included with a used book, as well, unless the seller's description says otherwise.

That said, unless the price is super-cheap and I am afraid of missing out on an excellent deal, I usually contact the seller for clarification before I make that type of purchase.

I'm glad the seller is refunding your money, but it's still inconvenient to have to re-order the same item from another seller.