Menu

iPad + Notability is rejuvenating my homeschool

Hmmm. How does it work? When I opend mr. Q I had a box pop up that asked if I wanted to open it up in iBooks or notability.

In Notablity there is an icon near the upper right hand corner that looks like a box with an arrow going into it. This icon has a drop-down menu to import files from Dropbox and other services.

Bill

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Notablity there is an icon near the upper right hand corner that looks like a box with an arrow going into it. This icon has a drop-down menu to import files from Dropbox and other services.

Bill

But why would I need Dropbox if I can out the PDFs directly into notability? Is this not always the case?

I'm typing on my iPad and will have to make this short. We're using the stylus recommended by acurtis in her previous post and it works well. If you invite people to open Dropbox accounts, you get extra storage. I've already transferred a few PDFs and then did a subsequent transfer to either iBooks or Notability. It's really easy and efficient.

ISwifter app allows flash content, but I'm not sure if I want to try it yet. One disappointment is that I can't watch movies on amazon.com, not that I really have time for movies, but the Fire gets a point for that obviously.

But why would I need Dropbox if I can out the PDFs directly into notability? Is this not always the case?

Some things you can open directly into Notability but you will probably eventually need Dropbox. I just purchased the app today and have done both.

I know I have many of my PDFs archived on my Mac, so rather than downloaded them again I can put them in Dropbox and they pop up on the iPad.

Downloading them directly is an option. I just like the redundancy of an archived copy on my main computer drive (which is also backed up).

Belts and suspenders :D

Bill

Nope, no zooming. That is a bummer.

Thanks for testing it. I agree that lack of zoom is a bummer. Lack of bookmarks and the documents opening at the beginning of a document (rather than where one left off) are other less than great features.

The developers seem to be really open to feedback and promise to work on these issues. As it is now Notability is not perfect, but it demonstrates how game-changing a fully realized mature app could be.

Bill

I noticed that. Is there a way to jump right to a page if I know what page number I need? I couldn't figure that out.

There is a little up/down icon on a blue tab on the right side of the document that lets you go to another page. The developer posted on another thread that the next version with have an option for going directly to specific page. I usually put a copy in iBooks so it's bookmarked and then the one in notability that we write on. That way I know what page we last completed.

Ah yes. One needs to click on the top number (the one that shows current page) and then type in the destination.

Good find!

Bill

It was completely by accident! I was scrolling down and happened to hit the right spot and the keyboard popped up.

It was completely by accident! I was scrolling down and happened to hit the right spot and the keyboard popped up.

Accidents can be good!

Thanks for sharing your find. Oddly, I had purposefully tried chicking the bottom number (the one that lists the last page in the document) to see if that might work. It doesn't. But didn't think of clicking the top number.

But thanks to you, I know :001_smile:

Bill

Just bought Notability! So far I've found the iPad a bit of a dud from an educational perspective - I had hoped it would allow us to do more learning while out and about, which is a big issue for me as I am trying to balance the needs of two children of quite different ages and educational needs. The apps are OK, but the ones I've found were mostly fun reinforcement, rather than formal learning. The lack of flash player meant we couldn't use K12 on it, which was a real disappointment. We tried one flash type app, but it didn't work at all well. But Notability would really allow us to use to iPad as a formal homeschooling tool. Too bad dd11 starts at Montessori next year, I suppose!

I have an iPad 2 sitting under the tree at this very minute with my name on it. I want to play with it NOW!!!!! lol! You guys are getting me so excited with all these cool app threads! I feel like a little kid again! :D

And you are leaving it there? I got an iPad for Christmas this year too. I tracked it till it was on the truck for delivery and then cleared my calendar to make sure I would be home all day to receive the package and than stayed near the window until it arrived. By the time my hubby got home from work, it was unwrapped and set-up and I was poking around to see what I could make it do. No way was I going to wait until Christmas for it. I commend you for waiting, I never could have handled that.

ISwifter app allows flash content, but I'm not sure if I want to try it yet. One disappointment is that I can't watch movies on amazon.com, not that I really have time for movies, but the Fire gets a point for that obviously.

Here's a pretty good review for photon. I'm going to try it for amazon streaming when I get a chance.

http://itunesnotes.blogspot.com/2011/09/use-photon-app-to-watch-amazon-instant.html

And you are leaving it there? I got an iPad for Christmas this year too. I tracked it till it was on the truck for delivery and then cleared my calendar to make sure I would be home all day to receive the package and than stayed near the window until it arrived. By the time my hubby got home from work, it was unwrapped and set-up and I was poking around to see what I could make it do. No way was I going to wait until Christmas for it. I commend you for waiting, I never could have handled that.

lol! Yep, can you believe it?! But if I opened mine then dh would want to open one of his and then the kids and so on. Christmas would be over before December even gets started. We can't have that, now can we? :lol:

Can you install TOG DE on the iPad?

Nope-the encryption software they use-Locklizard-doesn't have compatibility for devices that don't use Windows or OS X. A few years ago there was an issue related to the amount of space Locklizard used vs. the minimal storage capacity of portable devices. Hopefully that will change with time. I wish we could use a Kindle or iPad. Hope they come up with a way...

So, what's the best stylus?

Here is the link to the stylus I bought...not seriously overpriced. Everyone in the house, including the 4 yo, can use it successfully. It is really helpful in apps that accept handwriting. I think the size of the line I leave when using my finger is too much-I prefer the stylus. Still hoping to find one with a finer point-don't know if it exists.

http://www.amazon.com/Newest-Generation-Capacitive-Stylus-Warranty/dp/B004HO86P6/ref=pd_cp_e_1

I may have missed this, but is there a way to book mark a page in notability? I don't want to have to search through every PDF from the beginning to find my place.

Not yet. No. The developers say they are working on adding bookmarks to the next release (which I believe is due soon). We will see.

This is not a fully mature app, for the purposes we'd use if for anyway. It has some limitations, but it also has very exciting game-changing features that point to the future.

As it stands now it is a highly-useful app, but one with some missing features. Like pinch-to-zoom and bookmarking and "open to last page" type features. Being able to use PDFs on the iPad and easily have the children be able to "write" directly on the iPad with no need to print copies is a big-deal.

Bill

Not yet. No. The developers say they are working on adding bookmarks to the next release (which I believe is due soon). We will see.

This is not a fully mature app, for the purposes we'd use if for anyway. It has some limitations, but it also has very exciting game-changing features that point to the future.

As it stands now it is a highly-useful app, but one with some missing features. Like pinch-to-zoom and bookmarking and "open to last page" type features. Being able to use PDFs on the iPad and easily have the children be able to "write" directly on the iPad with no need to print copies is a big-deal.

Bill

I think it is excellent already! The updates will be a bonus! I'm still trying to figure out what all the "buttons" do!

I tried this yesterday and I wanted to share how I put a pdf on my iPad. This method allowed me to select which pages I could put on the iPad . . .

1) I had the pdf sitting on my Mac desktop

2) I connected the iPad to my Mac

3) After opening iTunes I selected the iPad icon in iTunes, then clicked on Apps. Once that page opened I scrolled down to the bottom of the page. There I could see which files may be shared between the computer and the iPad. Notability is one of the files.

4) I selected Notability and then dragged the pdf into the "Notability Documents" then clicked "sync"

5) When I opened Notability on the ipad a dialogue box opened asking me if I wanted to create a new note, which I clicked. I was then asked which pages I wanted to import (I selected pages 10-15) then clicked OK and the pdf opens.

I have not tried Dropbox yet, which may be easier. I use the above method as this is how I transfer Pages, Numbers and Keynote documents back and forth between the computer and the iPad.

I tried this yesterday and I wanted to share how I put a pdf on my iPad. This method allowed me to select which pages I could put on the iPad . . .

3) After opening iTunes I selected the iPad icon in iTunes, then clicked on Apps. Once that page opened I scrolled down to the bottom of the page. There I could see which files may be shared between the computer and the iPad. Notability is one of the files.

4) I selected Notability and then dragged the pdf into the "Notability Documents" then clicked "sync"

5) When I opened Notability on the ipad a dialogue box opened asking me if I wanted to create a new note, which I clicked. I was then asked which pages I wanted to import (I selected pages 10-15) then clicked OK and the pdf opens.

I have not tried Dropbox yet, which may be easier. I use the above method as this is how I transfer Pages, Numbers and Keynote documents back and forth between the computer and the iPad.

Makes perfect sense to me!

It is pretty much the same with Dropbox, one just avoids the need for an iTunes "sync" (which can be slow), so I prefer the Dropbox method. I'm still learning myself.

Bill

:iagree:

I was ready to write a very similar post last week, but I've been too busy thinking up more ways to use the ipad in lessons. I'm this close to buying another so that my girls can use them at the same time.

I use it for Math Mammoth. So far so good. The girls love being able to change the pen color, and no more constant interuptions to get up and sharpen the pencil again and again.

We're also trying KISS grammar and we are liking it so far. We were using Advanced Language Lessons and MCT, but ALL is on hiatus and I'm not sure about continuing with MCT.

We'll use WWS on the ipad as soon as we finish up WWE4.

I'm going to try once again to get through Lively Latin. We all love it, but it's always the first to be dropped when we run out of time. I think it will work really well on the ipad.

As far as Notability goes, the pinch to zoom has always worked for me. I have an ipad 2. In a note I can just put a finger and a thumb down and stretch the page out. I'm not sure why it hasn't worked for others.

I also use dropbox. I have a note titled Hazel's Grammar and one titled Ruby's Grammar, and I just add the pages from KISS that we are doing that day to the notes. I don't save previous work, but it wouldn't be hard to do if I wanted to.

I had previously purchased Goodreader, but it was more than I needed and not as easy to import files. Notability and starting KISS made me try using the ipad again for school and now I'm totally hooked.

Can you tell me how to use KISS when you get the chance? The website is cluttered and I don't know how to find exactly what I need.

I downloaded Notability yesterday, and we are loving it so far. One issue I would love to see addressed is the ability to click on links within PDFs. We have been using Intellego unit studies, so I tried loading one into Notability. Filling out the various worksheets is not a problem, but I cannot click on any of the links. I contacted tech support about this, and they immediately emailed me back. The person thanked me for my suggestion, and stated they would consider it for future releases. If any one else would like to email them about this, perhaps they would consider it even more.:D

I downloaded notability and tried it out. It doesn't seem any different than the neu.annotate app. I like that the neu.annotate app opens my PDF exactly where I closed it. For instance, today we read chapter 17 in MrQ's Earth Science. With annotate, the PDF opened right where we left off last week. Notability opens on the first page every time. The writing and erasing abilities seem the same. Is there some special feature I am missing with notability that everyone is excited about?

I downloaded notability and tried it out. It doesn't seem any different than the neu.annotate app. I like that the neu.annotate app opens my PDF exactly where I closed it. For instance, today we read chapter 17 in MrQ's Earth Science. With annotate, the PDF opened right where we left off last week. Notability opens on the first page every time. The writing and erasing abilities seem the same. Is there some special feature I am missing with notability that everyone is excited about?

I never heard of that app before so I just downloaded the free app to try. The reason that I prefer notability to the other apps I've tried is that the writing is smoother and the zoom box for writing works well for dd. I'll try this out to see how I like it for longer pdf's.

this is very exciting! I'm picking up a iPad this evening :) for dd8. Yes, spoiled girl. This is going to be so fun! I have several Unit studies that we simply haven't done because of all of the printing. As a homeschooling family we generate so much paper. I'm seeing this as a way to reduce some of it.

We have several things we can quit printing and just do on the iPad. She is going to be so excited..lol. I know I am.

ok, I am SO absolutely excited! We picked up the iPad last night. I can barely leave it alone :)

I added teh dropbox, and then purchased notability.

It is SO cool. I am not worried about the book marks, as she is little and we can simply import the needed pages for her school work. So if it's page 64 and 65... then that is all we need to import. Anyone know how to change the names of the files though? Is it possible? Or does it remain simply the original title?

I can see a lot of fun happening! Handwriting practice with the stylus, more of the unit studies will be completed now, since we'd only need to print out anything crafty.

I think we need a 2nd one!

ok, I am SO absolutely excited! We picked up the iPad last night. I can barely leave it alone :)

I added teh dropbox, and then purchased notability.

It is SO cool. I am not worried about the book marks, as she is little and we can simply import the needed pages for her school work. So if it's page 64 and 65... then that is all we need to import. Anyone know how to change the names of the files though? Is it possible? Or does it remain simply the original title?

I can see a lot of fun happening! Handwriting practice with the stylus, more of the unit studies will be completed now, since we'd only need to print out anything crafty.

I think we need a 2nd one!

To change the names in notability you select edit on the list screen. Select the file name you want to change and delete the current name. Type the name you want and then hit return on the keyboard. ( if you don't do this you lose your changes). Then select done at the top of the screen.

• 2 weeks later...

OMG this is awesome! Thank you so much for posting this. I just browsed superteacherworksheets and when I was on a pdf page, just tapped near the top and it gave me the option to "open in notability." Then I did a few fraction problems. :D

This is so cool. The kids are going to LOVE it! And hopefully we will go through the ink in our printer a little more slowly. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

sorry, I know this is an older thread, but thought you all would know.

I downloaded Notability, and got a Math Mammoth file imported in. DS was using his finger to write in the answers, but his writing is really big. Is getting a stylus the only work-around to that, or ???

I thought to have him just type in his answers where possible, but when we tried to use the text typer it would only place the cursor at the top left corner of the document. I tested in a blank doc, and it would let me put it at other positions in the doc, but still only at the let corner. In MM I could only type in the tope left corner. :(

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Is there a way to allow him to type his answers in the appropriate place on the page?

TIA!

sorry, I know this is an older thread, but thought you all would know.

I downloaded Notability, and got a Math Mammoth file imported in. DS was using his finger to write in the answers, but his writing is really big. Is getting a stylus the only work-around to that, or ???

I thought to have him just type in his answers where possible, but when we tried to use the text typer it would only place the cursor at the top left corner of the document. I tested in a blank doc, and it would let me put it at other positions in the doc, but still only at the let corner. In MM I could only type in the tope left corner. :(

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Is there a way to allow him to type his answers in the appropriate place on the page?

TIA!

I think I did once try to type but it didn't work that well. I may have encounter the same problem as you. I do have a stylus (same one that acurtis recommended) and DD uses that. I don't have my iPad right now to try it again for you, but maybe someone else can help.

For typing up pdf documents, I really like PDF Expert, but that's $9.99. I use this for work, so I justified the cost. For school work, not so much since Notability with a stylus works well for us.