Menu

Would you have been irritated?

I went to pick up the girls from co-op today. I got Sylvia from her classroom and went to go get Becca. We got down there and her classroom was empty and dark. There was no indication of where the third graders were. Sylvia and I wandered around the building for over 5 minutes looking for her class. Finally, I happened to look at the other end of the main room and saw Becca behind a divider. So I went over to get her and said something to the effect of, "I had no idea where you guys were." Her teacher said, "Oh, it was so&so's birthday and we had to come out here to have cupcakes. We didn't have enough time to leave a note." How on earth was I supposed to know where my kid was? But apparently, according to another board I visit, I was completely overreacting. :confused: So how would other homeschool moms feel about this?

The teacher should have left a note. It would've taken all of 5 seconds.

I don't think it's "overreacting" to say you didn't know where they were--if you pitched a fit, maybe;), but it's not too much to expect people to let you know that the pick-up point is different. I wouldn't have been worried that something awful had happened, but I would've been slightly annoyed by wandering about due to lack of communication.

Can you imagine the uproar if a local school decided to have the kids ready for pick-up on the OTHER side of the building? :lol: Without a word prior to the parents? Maybe it's just my area, but when a local school changed the pick-up procedure WITH notice, people flipped out and started writing letters to the editor. :D

I think it would depend on whether or not this sort of thing has happened in the past, and if it is customary for the teacher to leave a note on the door.

I wouldn't have made a big deal out of it, but I would have thought the teacher should have posted a note on the door. "I didn't have time" is a ridiculous excuse. How long does it take to write a little note and tape it to the door?

I probably would have said pretty much the same thing Amber said to the teacher, and let it go at that, especially if the kids were around, but if we were in private, I probably would have said it was no big deal, but I would really appreciate it if she'd put a note on the door next time, in case some of the moms were in a hurry and didn't have time to search the building for their kids.

I wouldn't have gotten angry or anything, but I will say that when we belonged to a co-op, teachers always let the moms know if they would be leaving the classroom with the kids -- and if something came up suddenly, I believe it was co-op policy to post a large note on the door of the classroom or have the teacher's aide remain behind to let the parents know what was happening. (It was a pretty large co-op, and the rules were quite strict, to keep everyone on the same page.)

I went to pick up the girls from co-op today. I got Sylvia from her classroom and went to go get Becca. We got down there and her classroom was empty and dark. There was no indication of where the third graders were. Sylvia and I wandered around the building for over 5 minutes looking for her class. Finally, I happened to look at the other end of the main room and saw Becca behind a divider. So I went over to get her and said something to the effect of, "I had no idea where you guys were." Her teacher said, "Oh, it was so&so's birthday and we had to come out here to have cupcakes. We didn't have enough time to leave a note." How on earth was I supposed to know where my kid was? But apparently, according to another board I visit, I was completely overreacting. :confused: So how would other homeschool moms feel about this?

I'd have flipped -- "not enough time to leave a note"???? it is not like writting a novel!!!!!

you are NOT over reacting

I expect adults that have my children to be where they are supposed to be OR to make sure there is a CLEAR posting about where my child is --

common respect if nothing else!!!

The teacher should have left a note. It would've taken all of 5 seconds.

I don't think it's "overreacting" to say you didn't know where they were--if you pitched a fit, maybe;), but it's not too much to expect people to let you know that the pick-up point is different. I wouldn't have been worried that something awful had happened, but I would've been slightly annoyed by wandering about due to lack of communication.

Can you imagine the uproar if a local school decided to have the kids ready for pick-up on the OTHER side of the building? :lol: Without a word prior to the parents? Maybe it's just my area, but when a local school changed the pick-up procedure WITH notice, people flipped out and started writing letters to the editor. :D

:iagree:

I'd have flipped -- "not enough time to leave a note"???? it is not like writting a novel!!!!!

you are NOT over reacting

I expect adults that have my children to be where they are supposed to be OR to make sure there is a CLEAR posting about where my child is --

common respect if nothing else!!!

That? Yup. Overreaction.

Honestly, I don't expect the same level of service from a co-op (volunteer) mom teacher that I do from a school. I don't really compare it to picking a child up from public school, which is much more inflexible and has a larger population.