Menu

How long did you have braxton hicks for before the baby came?

This is baby #3 for us and I never had them with the first two. My water broke for the first, and I had very subtle contractions 10 min apart and had the baby 2 hrs later for our second.

Yesterday, I had these braxton hicks contractions all. day. long. From 2pm to 6am, every 20min to 2hrs. I'm 35 weeks and seriously thought baby was going to show up by now. This is throwing me all off.

Can this go on all month? I just had one a half hour ago, and for whoever says they aren't painful, they have been a hell of a lot more than just uncomfortable.

Prodromal labor with all five babies. Shortest bout was 3.5 days. Longest was ~3 weeks. I handled it by staying hydrated, taking warm baths, and accepting that my body just needs a warm-up before the main show.

:grouphug:

ETA: Braxton-Hicks came pretty much the whole third trimester. Prodromal labor is more intense and can get regular.

Edited by Veritaserum

Third pregnancy always does something to throw mamas for a loop. ;)

Usually in subsequent pregnancies women notice them earlier. Part from just knowing what they feel like and part from the uterus toning itself.

They can have a slight pattern to them and may be pretty uncomfortable. Some women (myself included) have some in the late third trimester that are enough to make them stop and breathe through.

Staying hydrated (water...not juice or milk) can help lessen them for some women. You need 1/2 your body weight in ounces daily. Getting even slightly dehydrated can cause the uterine muscles to get testy. ;)

That kind of prodromal labor can last several weeks. You could have this and deliver early or go past your EDD.

Since you are not term yet just keep an eye on if they increase in intensity or begin having a definite pattern for more than a couple of hours.

True labor won't be so disorganized (having cntx every 20 min to 2 hrs is not an organized pattern) and most women just have a sense that something is different.

This is baby #3 for us and I never had them with the first two. My water broke for the first, and I had very subtle contractions 10 min apart and had the baby 2 hrs later for our second.

Yesterday, I had these braxton hicks contractions all. day. long. From 2pm to 6am, every 20min to 2hrs. I'm 35 weeks and seriously thought baby was going to show up by now. This is throwing me all off.

Can this go on all month? I just had one a half hour ago, and for whoever says they aren't painful, they have been a hell of a lot more than just uncomfortable.

BH contractions started at 4 mos with my 1st child. When my ob dr told me I might start having them and described them, I was like, "Oh, that's what that is. I'm already having them." They never became regular pre-labor contractions because I had HELLP syndrome and was induced a couple weeks early.

With my 2nd, I don't remember when they started, but at 30 wks, they became regular. I was put on turbutilene (sp?) until 36 wks to prevent labor, but I continued having regular contractions anyway. She was born at 38 weeks, so 8 weeks of regular contractions that at times were pretty intense. I had to go to the hospital to get them stopped a few times, and then after all that, the baby didn't come until 38 wks! It was very draining for both me and dh.

I don't remember when they started with my 3rd, but again, they never became regular because I had HELLP syndrome again and was induced early.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Edited by LizzyBee

Drink! Chances are that you are dehydrated. You may feel as if you are drinking enough, but if you went into L&D right now, they'd probably put you on an IV. Well, I don't know that for a fact because I don't know you; don't want to frighten you.

Throughout my pregnancies, I always thought that I was well-hydrated. I would experience a lot of BH contractions throughout my third trimester (sometimes second..often second). Some of them were rather persistent and continued to strengthen, so I would go get checked. Each time I was put on an IV because I was dehydrated. Usually they had a time finding a vein due to dehydration, and I was confident that I was drinking enough.

I increased my fluids, and the BH contractions diminished. Each time I started getting them, I'd up my fluids just in case. Most of the time that did the trick. Sometimes BH will just happen.

:grouphug:

weeks/months? that's not what I wanted to hear. I will definitely up the fluids. I just feel so on edge because hubby is a truck driver so I'd have to pack up both of the kids and cab it to the hospital 20 minutes away. I want to catch things before it's too late and I end up having the baby on the side of the road.

17 weeks with first pregnancy.

12 weeks with second pregnancy.

Yes, it got old. Was on bedrest for 6 weeks total with second. He was born at 38.5 weeks. First was born at 39 weeks. I had mild hyperemesis with first and severe hyperemesis with second and I think that aggravated them (dehydration plus frequent vomiting/heaving).

Edited by littleWMN