Menu

E-books vs real

After our last move, I realized that e-books are not so much more expensive as real books as I'd thought: you don't have to pay to move them. As much as we seem to move, that's a real savings, lol.

But here I am, looking at books for the coming semester in school. Many of them are $8-$10 in digital format, & I can get used hardbacks for $5 or less. Help. me!

When they're cheap enough, I like to have 2 copies--1 for ea kid. So I've got a digital version of The Lightning Thief, but when I found a copy for 50c at the Goodwill the other day, I bought it, too. I can save it or pass it on, but now both kids can read it at the same time.

$5 is too much for a second copy, though. And saving $3/ea on 2 books in print vs digital means the 3rd book is free. (I'm looking at a trilogy right now.) But I *know* I prefer the digital version, for the sake of space & moving expense. (But it doesn't save THREE DOLLARS per book...)

Help. :lol:

I prefer real.

I don't even have an ereader, and no desire to.

I'm actually surprised how much I like the e-reader. You get to push buttons while you read, like a little built-in reward system. :D

Not all books are meant to be read that way, but many are quite good. WTM--something w/ a list of other books that you'd like to have w/ you while perusing the shelves of a used bookstore, for ex.

Fiction, too--brain candy is fun on an e-reader.

I haven't tried anything else...actually, I haven't tried WTM there, yet, either, as I can't justify the expense since I've already got 2 hard copies I'm not willing to part w/. :lol:

So I guess what I *really* prefer is BOTH. Real books are good for sitting on the shelf, so you can remember what you've got. (Not that that's working so well for me, given the one I need to run out & buy NOW.) And they're pretty. And they're nice for taking notes in sometimes. And bookshelves say who you are. I like mine to have a nice mix of Plato & kid lit. My e-reader would never tell you what an interesting person I am. :lol:

An ebook is a real book. The words are the same. Some books don't work well in digital format - reference books for instance. However, even those can be fairly easily read on a tablet.

E-readers allow you to have many, many books without taking up room in your house or collecting dust. I don't understand the reluctance to accept that it's the words that make a book "real", not the format.

An ebook is a real book. The words are the same. Some books don't work well in digital format - reference books for instance. However, even those can be fairly easily read on a tablet.

E-readers allow you to have many, many books without taking up room in your house or collecting dust. I don't understand the reluctance to accept that it's the words that make a book "real", not the format.

Being able to handle the book, the pages, etc is the difference for me. I need the tangible handling.

It's just a quick way to say "physical." I love my e-books. If the price were the same...well, if the price were less, I wouldn't hesitate to buy e-books. But when the price is the same or more for an e-book, I feel cheated. There was no paper, ink, shipping to justify the expense & no future resale (not that I sell my books often).

But if it's a book I know I'll keep, the fact that it's more efficient for ME to own a digital copy than a physical copy ought to be enough. Grrr. Sunk cost. Economics. Logic. (Working at convincing myself.) :lol:

I've tried reading e-books, just can't do it. I have the kindle app for my phone and computer, don't like it at all. It may be the same words, but it's a different experience. The books I looked at didn't have page numbers, not a lot of text on a page, I feel like I'm being spoon fed chocolate pudding and I want the whole bowl at once, not just a bite.

Even my reluctant reader, techno gadget dude, prefers real books.

I did download some freebies, classics mostly. Maybe the formatting is different on other books, but the layout drives me batty. Same with the Nook app.

As far as which to buy? IDK. Do the kids have a preference? I wouldn't spend more money to have a digital copy, but that's just me. If it is really a matter of space and you move often I might consider the digital for that reason. But I'm so frugal I'd still have a hard time paying more.

You can't resell the digital copy either. That might be a consideration if you have a used book store nearby.

I enjoy the feel of the paper, the weight and heft of a good book, the smell of it...the whole experience.

BUT dh is a book hoarder. Once he gets a book he won't let it go. We already have bookshelves in every room except the kitchen and they are crammed full. The tablet with ereader apps is a good solution - he has nearly unlimited book storage space, and I still have room to walk through my house.

Grrr. Publishing companies are keeping the prices high and authors are still getting cents per book.

Just buy them used. The only way to get the companies to give fair $ to authors (and good contracts-you should SEE the boilerplates coming out!) is to not fall for the higher priced e-books.

Get what you can cheaply on the e-reader, there are already pricepoints set by the public, and huge authors are coming out with out of prints that they've had their rights reverted on, and with their agents help, getting around their contracts to write e-books published by amazon. That $ goes straight to the author.

I would get the actual book if I had to. If the e price wasn't reasonable and there were no used available.

As far as which to buy? IDK. Do the kids have a preference? I wouldn't spend more money to have a digital copy, but that's just me. If it is really a matter of space and you move often I might consider the digital for that reason. But I'm so frugal I'd still have a hard time paying more.

You can't resell the digital copy either. That might be a consideration if you have a used book store nearby.

The kids prefer digital. I prefer digital. Dh doesn't like it, but that's because he says the e-ink hurts his eyes. :lol:

I've also realized that while resale value is one of the things that bugs me, I've NEVER sold a book (the kind I buy in digital format) for more than about 25c. So, really, the physical ones don't have resale value, either. (They're just cheaper--I don't buy books new.)

But, yeah, we move a lot. And we've got half of our books packed in the garage at this point because we don't have space for them.

AND...since you mentioned it...reading on an e-reader is different. Formatted books that you pay for are WAY different from the freebies. Some of the free ones I won't even give to the kids because of the errors.

I've tried reading e-books, just can't do it. I have the kindle app for my phone and computer, don't like it at all. It may be the same words, but it's a different experience. The books I looked at didn't have page numbers, not a lot of text on a page, I feel like I'm being spoon fed chocolate pudding and I want the whole bowl at once, not just a bite.

Those aren't e-readers, they're apps. E-reader pages look like pages in a book. They aren't backlit and they have page numbers. They have the same amount of text on a page as your average size paperback book. You can search the book, look forward or back, highlight favorite passages, and look up unfamiliar words.

Dead tree books have not always been the way to tell stories and pass along information. It's just the only way that's in our collective memories, so we're reluctant to see that change.

Grrr. Publishing companies are keeping the prices high and authors are still getting cents per book.

Just buy them used. The only way to get the companies to give fair $ to authors (and good contracts-you should SEE the boilerplates coming out!) is to not fall for the higher priced e-books.

Get what you can cheaply on the e-reader, there are already pricepoints set by the public, and huge authors are coming out with out of prints that they've had their rights reverted on, and with their agents help, getting around their contracts to write e-books published by amazon. That $ goes straight to the author.

I would get the actual book if I had to. If the e price wasn't reasonable and there were no used available.

When the e-price is unreasonable, it's easy. The ones I'm looking at are only $8 apiece on the kindle/nook. Used copies are $4 for paperback & $5 for hardback. The savings is not significant. :tongue_smilie:

If you have a digital copy of the book, can't many people read it at the same time? I know that when I finally put the kindle app on the computer, I can access any content that is on my daughter's kindle and when (or if) I get a kindle for Chistmas I will have 2-4 copies of anything we buy (2 kindles, the pc and the laptop). Maybe you should just think of it as buying 2 or more copies of each book for that $8-10. You can even find a LOT of e-books for free or cheap.

Dead tree books have not always been the way to tell stories and pass along information. It's just the only way that's in our collective memories, so we're reluctant to see that change.

Perhaps.

I also don't trust technology. I've lost far too many things with hard drives dying, etc to want to trust my library to go digital.

I'm finally making the switch to ebooks, but only for myself so far. I get so much more reading done on my Nook. I'm not sure why, but I'm much more focused.

I wish they were cheaper, but I'm letting go of that for now. I love having everything in one place, and that's worth something as well. I also check out ebooks from the library and that does end up being cheaper because there are no late fees. :)

I love books. I love their pages, covers, all of it!

I also love ebooks. I finished my book earlier this week a couple of days before I expected. I actually bought another book on my Nook, have already finished *that* one and still haven't managed to make it to the book store (yes, I bought and started *another* book on my Nook).

The best thing about an ereader? Airplanes. I used to *hate* when my plane was delayed because I would finish my book too soon and have to buy some crappy book at a marked-up airport price. I don't have to worry about that any more. I can carry several books and only carry my purse on the plane. I can buy another good book if I finish mine early. It is the best.

I also agree that checking ebooks out of the library is great!

If you have a digital copy of the book, can't many people read it at the same time? I know that when I finally put the kindle app on the computer, I can access any content that is on my daughter's kindle and when (or if) I get a kindle for Chistmas I will have 2-4 copies of anything we buy (2 kindles, the pc and the laptop). Maybe you should just think of it as buying 2 or more copies of each book for that $8-10. You can even find a LOT of e-books for free or cheap.

Yes. You can have up to 6 devices (Kindles, apps) registered with an Amazon account (not sure how B&N does it WRT the Nook). As long as you don't tell it to sync your devices, everyone can be at different locations in the book reading on different devices.

ETA: Amazon allows 6 to be registered, but some publishers only allow reading on 5 devices at the same time.

After our last move, I realized that e-books are not so much more expensive as real books as I'd thought: you don't have to pay to move them. As much as we seem to move, that's a real savings, lol.

But here I am, looking at books for the coming semester in school. Many of them are $8-$10 in digital format, & I can get used hardbacks for $5 or less. Help. me!

When they're cheap enough, I like to have 2 copies--1 for ea kid. So I've got a digital version of The Lightning Thief, but when I found a copy for 50c at the Goodwill the other day, I bought it, too. I can save it or pass it on, but now both kids can read it at the same time.

$5 is too much for a second copy, though. And saving $3/ea on 2 books in print vs digital means the 3rd book is free. (I'm looking at a trilogy right now.) But I *know* I prefer the digital version, for the sake of space & moving expense. (But it doesn't save THREE DOLLARS per book...)

Help. :lol:

I think your problem is that you only have one e-reader, correct? For some things, if you need a second copy, can you or one of the kids read on the computer?

For me, one of the advantages of e-books is that I can buy once and essentially have 5 or 6 copies of the same book. My family shares my Amazon account for this purpose - great for airplane/beach reads, and also for school books. Between me, dp, kids, my parents and sisters, we have 12 devices registered to my account - kindles, a kindle fire, phones, iPad, and netbook.

that's my dilema...haven't gotten an e-reader yet but hubby's supposed to get it for me next week for xmas....but I'm a book person--lol

There is a high chance that you will LOVE it!! I was reluctant at first (I'm a huge book person as well - and I never get rid of them!) but my brother ended up selling me his used Kindle for super-cheap and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! I haven't read a physical book for enjoyment since I got it a 2-3 months ago - it is all e-book for me! :)

Things I absolutely love about my Kindle versus a physical book:

- no more holding pages open, so no more 2 hands (or 1 hand awkwardly at the top/bottom). I now love to sit with my hands tucked away and just squeeze out a thumb every once in a while to "flip" the page.

- no more waiting on the next book (especially the large books I usually end up reading - I only want to carry 1 not 2 since they are huge, so when I'm done with it I have to wait to switch out). This is, of course, especially nice on trips where you have to actually pack the books. I've found that it works great for regular reading also, though! If I'm close to the end and I don't know whether I'll get to read or not I can just grab the Kindle and not worry about not having the next on hand.

(side-note - I am currently on book 12 of the Robert Jordan "Wheels of Time" and each book is very large. I have all 12 books hanging out on my Kindle PLUS a couple "spares" in case I finish up or want a break!)

- Slim and easy to take along hoping for that chance... I have the Dx, which is much larger, but it still fits well in the over-shoulder bag I got (just to fit my Kindle!) and isn't very heavy.

Just for the record - I have always enjoyed the feel, smell, enjoyment of a physical book. I never thought I would like my Kindle THAT much, although I was mildly interested just for the convenience for traveling. I am a convert! If it ever dies, I will probably run out and get another as soon as possible... :D I keep all my ebooks on Calibre, so they will be easy to transfer.

Yes. You can have up to 6 devices (Kindles, apps) registered with an Amazon account (not sure how B&N does it WRT the Nook). As long as you don't tell it to sync your devices, everyone can be at different locations in the book reading on different devices.

ETA: Amazon allows 6 to be registered, but some publishers only allow reading on 5 devices at the same time.

You can definitely have more than 6 devices registered. I have 12 (not counting the cloud reader).

I like physical books as well. I like paper and ink, I like the cover art every time I pick it up. I like big fat books in my hands. I like the musty smell of old books. I have no desire for an e-reader.

However.. there is a woman here who lives somewhere in central Asia (Kyrgyzstan I think?) and I followed her blog link one day. She homeschools her children over there and brings a whole library on ereaders because they are limited in what they can take over. I could see doing that. :) Electronic books are better than no books.

:iagree: I absolutely love my Kindle. And that is coming from a bibliophile who does love physical books. I love the pages and the covers and what they demonstrate about me in my home. BUT - the kindle is amazing. I have a hundred+ books in the space of one little book. I could have hundreds more. I can pull up the book I'm reading on my phone if I have a few minutes to kill and didn't bring my Kindle. My bookmarks never fall out. I can go instantly to anything I highlighted or made notes about. Digital books are nearly always less expensive than a hardback book. If my eyes are tired, I can expand the font. If there is a word I don't know, I can instantly get a definition. When I travel, I don't have to decide which books I can bring. I can consider buying a book in a literal minute of hearing about it, if I so desire. There have been times I've seen an author on TV and bought their book within the next 5 minutes.

The only thing I don't find superior about the Kindle is it's use for reference books.

I think your problem is that you only have one e-reader, correct? For some things, if you need a second copy, can you or one of the kids read on the computer?

For me, one of the advantages of e-books is that I can buy once and essentially have 5 or 6 copies of the same book. My family shares my Amazon account for this purpose - great for airplane/beach reads, and also for school books. Between me, dp, kids, my parents and sisters, we have 12 devices registered to my account - kindles, a kindle fire, phones, iPad, and netbook.

I tried this for the 1st time today, & it didn't work. But I've got a nook, so...maybe that's the problem. Good to know, though...def makes the e-books more valuable than I'd given them credit for.

This photo shows a little less than one-sixth of our entire collection, so I count myself among those who love books in their traditional format.

That said, I succumbed to the lure of the Kindle in early summer. One of the most delightful and unexpected benefits? I can SEE it! You can enlarge the display type, and, boy, is that priceless. Author Neil Gaiman put it best:

It’s the fact that my eyesight is no longer comfortable with tiny lettering and word balloons. And that simply fascinated me. And fascinated me because I realized that technology is normally driven by the young, and leaves the old and my generation on the sidelines going, "We don’t know what we think about this." Except the Kindle and Kindle technology, which is absolutely being discovered by my age and up from people who are going, “You mean I don’t have to buy large-print books? I can just set the font wherever I like? This is great.” And all these people you expect to be going, “I do not want this modern newfangled thing,” are going, “I have a house full of books I can’t read anymore. This thing is magic.”

I tried this for the 1st time today, & it didn't work. But I've got a nook, so...maybe that's the problem. Good to know, though...def makes the e-books more valuable than I'd given them credit for.

It works with my Nook. I can download the books that I own to my computer, my phone, dh's phone or dh's computer.

No, it's not a real book, because it ceases to be a book, and becomes just words. A book has a cover, a smell all it's own, a feel to it. Comparing words on an e-reader with a real book, is like saying looking at a picture of a soft, fluffy stuffed animal is the same as having a soft, fluffy stuffed animal. Not the same. :D

I agree w/ Imp.

I have philosophical differences with e-readers. While they are handy, they subvert Fair Use laws that have been in practice for a long time. The industry is starting to address this (with borrowing/lending) but it isn't all worked out yet.

Its also not cost effective for what I like to read. I can buy used books for .25-$2, read, and then trade them (postal cost under $3) for other ones I want. Frankly, an e-book...that I want...costs at least $10 (the lowest one on my wishlist) and I can't trade or sell it when its gone. That's it. Unless I want to read it again or keep it for reference it's dead weight.

To me the $7-22 cost difference means something.

I have philosophical differences with e-readers. While they are handy, they subvert Fair Use laws that have been in practice for a long time. The industry is starting to address this (with borrowing/lending) but it isn't all worked out yet.

Its also not cost effective for what I like to read. I can buy used books for .25-$2, read, and then trade them (postal cost under $3) for other ones I want. Frankly, an e-book...that I want...costs at least $10 (the lowest one on my wishlist) and I can't trade or sell it when its gone. That's it. Unless I want to read it again or keep it for reference it's dead weight.

To me the $7-22 cost difference means something.

There are countless free books to be had on an e-reader. :)

I love my Kindle. The e-ink is just perfect! And, now that they allow library lending as well as the Kindle lending library (a free book once a month for Prime members), the possibilities for free books are endless!

We have books coming out of our ears around here and there is just limited space. A book has to earn its place in my house now. I have a bunch of books on my Kindle (and Nook app and iBooks) that don't get a place on my physical shelves.

I also always have a stack of physical books checked out from the library at any given time.

Having an e-reader doesn't mean giving up "real" books.:)

But when you purchase an ebook, you can put it on more than one device, right? I'm pretty sure that's how it works - as long as both ereaders are the same brand. So buying a digital copy is $10 and you can have it on each person's device, so you don't have to move all those copies of the same book.

We have very little storage, and the space-saving factor is pretty important. We have so many reference books that I'm happy to save space on fiction.

Not always. I have a Sony Reader touch version, and the contrast is low and the glare is high. It can cause a lot of eyestrain to read that way. Too bad it's worst when I'm laying in bed, as that's how I prefer to read.

The first touch Sony Readers did have a problem with glare, but we have a newer one too and it's better than the Kindle, in my opinion.

My knees thank me every time I have to move now because I don't have to carry a thousand physical books around. Ebooks are great. I especially like that both of my boys can read the same thing at the same time. We borrowed a paper book from a friend of a new release they both wanted to read and that reminded me of the old days of trying to share books.

For me/us here's I prefer REAL books. The ones you can pick up sniff hold use.

Ebooks have their place and their time and I'm okay with that but only for certain things:

1. When I can't get it any other way.

2. When it's HUGELY cheaper {living overseas sometimes it's cheaper to buy a TM as an ebook}

3. Book full of maps or other item to just run copies off. So much easier then dealing with the binding of the book.

Other then that I want a normal book. :D

My reply may be a bit different. I have Fibromyalgia and I tend to read thick books. My Nook Simple is very light and I can carry it around with me easily and even read in bed, and move my body while still reading. Reading stretched out in bed on my tummy and my bones start to ache? I can easily roll over.

With all the classic books at Project Gutenberg I can get rid of all the classics I have should I so choose. Largely this is all new to me and I have yet to apply it to non-fiction books.

We love our ereaders :)

Have you looked into a subscription to the Free Library of Philadelphia? For $15 a year you can "check out" books for 21 days (up to 10 at a time). Just google, it'll come up.

Another, somethimes cheaper, option for the Nook is purchasing through Google-books.

That being said - I prefer real books for any sort of text book or reference book.

As an aside - what does it mean to "root" a Nook? I know it is something akin to hacking - but how and why does one do this??

How about your library? I get books at the library and if dc *really* loves it, I buy a copy (usually hardbound). Many libraries now offer ebook lending, too!

Personally, I see the benefits of both. I like curling up with a REAL book and being able to flip thru (still no good equivalent on e-readers). I like being able to adjust font for my emerging reader, and the WOW factor is good. Ultimately I try to just accumulate books that are likely to be read several times, and go with whichever method is cheapest, which is usually: library (real and ebook), used, ebook. Many classics are free in PDF form, though.

As an aside - what does it mean to "root" a Nook? I know it is something akin to hacking - but how and why does one do this??

From http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/guides/2011/02/howto-root-a-nook-color-to-transform-it-into-an-android-tablet.ars :

<<

When users enable root access on a Linux-based consumer electronics device—usually by exploiting a privilege escalation security vulnerability—they can make unauthorized changes to the software environment and modify it to add additional functionality. On an Android-based device like the Nook Color, a user with root access can side-load third-party applications and introduce software components that have been extracted from other Android devices. You can even add the Android Market, which makes it easy to install additional software on the Nook Color.

The Nook Color modding community has produced a special tool called the Auto-Nooter that will give the user root access and automatically apply a number of popular customizations. It will add the Android Market, enable multi-touch interaction, install the Busybox shell, and add some standard applications like the Android calendar, calculator, and e-mail client.

>>

Just make sure not to "brick" your device (aka, much up the hack and make your device unusable, in the olden days known as "boat anchoring"). :lol:

How about your library? I get books at the library and if dc *really* loves it, I buy a copy (usually hardbound). Many libraries now offer ebook lending, too!

Personally, I see the benefits of both. I like curling up with a REAL book and being able to flip thru (still no good equivalent on e-readers). I like being able to adjust font for my emerging reader, and the WOW factor is good. Ultimately I try to just accumulate books that are likely to be read several times, and go with whichever method is cheapest, which is usually: library (real and ebook), used, ebook. Many classics are free in PDF form, though.

Our last library had *nothing* good in their e-books. The new library is worse. :glare:

If you meant "how about the library" for *real* books...yeah, our old library was pretty decent. The new one? Not worth the gas to drive there. And it's not far at all. :tongue_smilie: What's worse, though, is this town has the same name as another city in another state whose library is *awesome.* I keep getting the wrong one under google & thinking that they've got books I want, hours that they're open, etc. :glare:

Ok, the reading on multiple devices has sold me. Must figure out how to make that work...when we tried it the other day, my acct had an old cc#, which we updated, but that was still the only mssg we got when trying to open the book dd was reading on the computer. Once she turned the Nook off, it opened fine on the computer. BUT...hmmm...maybe the problem was that we were trying to open the book via wifi on dh's computer instead of downloading the book. :confused:

Anyway, I'm sure it will get figured out, & in the meantime, YAY! that means digital *does* have better value than I thought--much better!

Question, though: has anyone tried reading Kindle/Nook books on the other device? For ex, I know you can have a kindle app & a nook app on your pc. If you go through the computer like that...or through calibre, maybe...could you read a nook book on a kindle or vice versa?

Some of the e-books are a little cheaper to significantly cheaper on one device as opposed to another, & we found a kindle on CL for about 1/2 price, so we're thinking about getting the kids an e-reader to share. I love the idea of being able to choose EITHER nook or kindle books, but...I'd love it more if I thought there was a way to read them on both devices. :bigear:

There are countless free books to be had on an e-reader.

Yes, I've seen them. Almost anything which is in the public domain is available, but I have most of what I want to read in the public domain (and the library or Project Gutenburg has the rest should I care to read them). While I can get rid of a few of my reference classics, any books from the last 30 years (that I'm interested in) are $10-20.

Its still ridiculous if I can get a second hand physical version for 75% less.

It doesn't make sense for me. Now I admit I know some people who have allergies or read pop fiction. It makes sense for them. For me, and for any thrifty literary fiction readers...it just doesn't make as much sense, unless you're willing to spend a lot more.

Ok, the reading on multiple devices has sold me. Must figure out how to make that work...when we tried it the other day, my acct had an old cc#, which we updated, but that was still the only mssg we got when trying to open the book dd was reading on the computer. Once she turned the Nook off, it opened fine on the computer. BUT...hmmm...maybe the problem was that we were trying to open the book via wifi on dh's computer instead of downloading the book. :confused:

Anyway, I'm sure it will get figured out, & in the meantime, YAY! that means digital *does* have better value than I thought--much better!

Question, though: has anyone tried reading Kindle/Nook books on the other device? For ex, I know you can have a kindle app & a nook app on your pc. If you go through the computer like that...or through calibre, maybe...could you read a nook book on a kindle or vice versa?

Some of the e-books are a little cheaper to significantly cheaper on one device as opposed to another, & we found a kindle on CL for about 1/2 price, so we're thinking about getting the kids an e-reader to share. I love the idea of being able to choose EITHER nook or kindle books, but...I'd love it more if I thought there was a way to read them on both devices. :bigear:

I don't think there is any way to cross books on Kindle with books on Nook, if that's what you're asking. (I could be wrong, though.) I think you either have to choose or keep your Kindle books separate from your Nook books.

can't you use calibre to convert the book to the other format? (I've only used calibre to try cconverting pdfs to mobi format for the kindle)