Menu

The American girl doll company sells these little sewing kit that contain felt cut into a shape and instructions for a young girl to sew around the outside with a blanket stitch and to sew on buttons or sequins and other felt shapes to it, then stuff it. Someone bought one for my daughter, it was a teddy bear shape (big one for girl, small one for doll). Before I let her assemble it, I traced the shape of the bears onto paper, and now we have a pattern to make more bears with felt bought by the yard.

You could draw your own pattern, lay it out and cut it, then put in a bag with a needle, embroidery thread and some old buttons for eyes, and it is a sewing project. You could even type up instructions. This is much less expensive than the 14.99 price of the kit.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The American girl doll company sells these little sewing kit that contain felt cut into a shape and instructions for a young girl to sew around the outside with a blanket stitch and to sew on buttons or sequins and other felt shapes to it, then stuff it. Someone bought one for my daughter, it was a teddy bear shape (big one for girl, small one for doll). Before I let her assemble it, I traced the shape of the bears onto paper, and now we have a pattern to make more bears with felt bought by the yard.

You could draw your own pattern, lay it out and cut it, then put in a bag with a needle, embroidery thread and some old buttons for eyes, and it is a sewing project. You could even type up instructions. This is much less expensive than the 14.99 price of the kit.

You could also google line drawings of shapes or even copy coloring book image outlines. Here is one I saw on pinterest:

106256872427898654_QfbIjdJp_c.jpg

And here is a website with free beginner sewing lessons.

http://www.kids-sewing-projects.com/pre-beginner-sewing-lessons.html

Another thing I sort of remember, but fuzzy on some of the details is to make your own jigsaw puzzles. You use a piece of cardboard (cereal box type that is sort of thin) and glue a picture (old calendar pictures, or cheap picture book from a thrift store, or print out from online) onto the front. I guess it would need to be some sort of decoupage type paint to keep it together and glossy. I cut mine with scissors so the cuts were straight. It was a small puzzle with few pieces and I don't even remember what I did with it! Maybe it was for an early childhood education college class.

I made this teacup birdfeeder for all the adult women I had to give gifts to last year. I bought the teacups, saucers and bud vases at Goodwill and paid about $1 for each part (sometimes less), plus the cost of the dowel. I also bought silicone adhesive at Michael's with the 40%off coupon. The tube, which cost about $4 after the coupon, lasted for about ten feeders and a whole lot of other stuff. So the total for each birdfeeder was about $4. I also included a little bag of cheap birdseed.

I'm going to make my daughter some invisible bookshelves using old books. I just need to get l brackets. I'd love to just buy some invisible bookshelves that don't require destroying a book, but this is a lot cheaper. http://www.instructables.com/id/Invisible-Book-Shelf/

I would love this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QOGKSA/ref=asc_df_B001QOGKSA1801701?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B001QOGKSA

but really can't justify the expense.

I got DD-8 an AG for xmas and the clothes are out of this world $$$. I found some baby clothes (sized newborn to 6m, the red dress was an 18mo shirt) at the Goodwill and knew I could make them work....better yet, I got ones that were 1/2 off so about 99cents a piece! I love to sew but hate sewing doll clothes. All of the little tiny pieces drive me crazy! This was super easy! A few pins, a few seams, some elastic...done! I will have to fix her hair when I put her back in her box!

First is a cute pair of pants with a cute ruffle on the bottom. Put them on the doll inside out and mark one leg with pins. Also mark a little above where the waistband will be for your cutting marks.

068.jpg

Cut the one leg. I used a straight edge to mark my line. I cut just at the bottom of the waistband that was there. Place the cut leg piece over the other side and cut it, too. Pin the seams and sew. You can serge if you want or zig zag or do nothing. (I serged but didn't take picts of the sewing or serging) I used 1/4 inch seam.

069.jpg

Turn the waist band over to the width of your elastic plus about 1/4 more inches and sew. You can serge the top of the waist band before turning but you don't need to. Put in your elastic like you normally would and sew the ends of the elastic together and sew the opening shut (I didn't take pictures of all of these steps because they are pretty basic sewing steps). Here are the finished pants.

070.jpg

I did the same steps with a pair of shorts.

061.jpg

063.jpg

065.jpg

Here is a little dress or nightgown. Put it on inside out and pin to fit. The pins will be your sewing line. I sewed them first then serged off the edges. You can cut it first and then sew if you want.

057.jpg

Here is the dress all done. It is already the right length! No hemming, no lining, no facing, no sewing buttons! Just 2 little seams!

058.jpg

Here is another one I did in the same fashion. I like this one because it has bees on it and DD's last name has Bee in it.

053.jpg

Here is a red bandana dress. I marked the seams the way I did above. This shows the seam sewn.

038.jpg

Now it fits AG doll. Again, just the right length! 2 seams...done!

039.jpg

Another pair of pants. These had 2 cute little pockets on the front that would have been cut in half. I seam ripped them off and will sew one on the front of a little shirt when I find one. Mark one side of the pants and cut. Place the cut side on the other leg for marking. Cut off right under the waistband (or where needed...remember to leave enough to be able to turn.

017.jpg

021.jpg

023.jpg

Sew both of the leg seams and serge if desired. turn down the waistband and sew, leaving an opening for elastic. Insert elastic, sew elastic shut, and sew opening shut! Tadaaaa... cute pants.

031.jpg

035.jpg

This little dress was trickier because it has a slip attached. Do it in pieces...don't be afraid, it's for a doll!

041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

I actually turned the slip pieces right sides together and the dress pieces right sides together and sewed, very carefully, right up to the waist for each side. Then the little bit of bodice by the armholes. It turned out cute!

044.jpg

046.jpg

Now I have to find a few shirts to match the pants and DD's AG doll will have some clothes for about $7.00!

I got DD-8 an AG for xmas and the clothes are out of this world $$$. I found some baby clothes (sized newborn to 6m, the red dress was an 18mo shirt) at the Goodwill and knew I could make them work....

Your doll clothes are awesome! My dd is not into dolls, so this won't be a project for me. But I think your idea is so clever!

Way to go on the doll clothes! I have a whole pile of things waiting for the same treatment. Usually I'd be feeling guilty now, but my machine blew up last week so I can admire without the guilt, lol.

If you've made them this month, do cross post on my crafters thread! I'll be posting it tonight when dh uploads my photos.

Rosie

Mulled (6 and 3) love mixing and creating 'experiments' so this year I'm going to put together a chemistry lab for them. I was going to find specific experiments and get the materials and write the instructions down, but I think I will just give them a bucket of stuff and let them do it open ended. So far, on my list I have:

Droppers (I asked the pharmacist and they gave me a few for free!)

Turkey baster ($1 store)

Measuring cups ($1 store)

Baby food jars or small plastic containers (free)

Set of mixing bowls ($1 store)

Whisk, large spoons ($1 store)

Squirt/spray bottles (free, I just saved some)

Vinegar ($1)

Baking soda ($1)

Hair gel ($1)

Cornstarch ($1)

Corn syrup ($1)

Food coloring ($3)

Vegetable oil ($2)

Flour ($2)

Grated bar soap ($1)

Dish soap ($1)

Lotion ($1)

Rubber gloves ($1)

Cream of Tartar ($2)

Cotton balls ($1)

Q Tips ($1)

Bamboo skewers (for stirring) ($2)

If I had to buy everything on my list, it would ba about $25, which isn't bad for two kids...I know they will play for hours with that. As it is, I have lots of the materials already. For example, I have two or three bath sets that were given to me and I've never used. I'm sensitive to lotions and soaps, so I can't use most products. We have q tips and cotton balls, dish soap, flour, vegetable oils, food coloring, baking soda, and vinegar. That only leaves a few things I would need to buy. I think total I'll spend another $10 completing this set for them.

For my older dd, I'm making her an artists set. I found a set of acrylic paints at Micheals for $4.99 for twelve little tubes. A set of twenty paintbrushes in a case that rolls up for the same price. I am buying those using my 40% off coupns, so they will be about $3 each. The Strathsmore (sp?) paper pads were BOGO, so I got her two, for $8. Total $15.

For my middle dd, I'll make her a "Bake with Mom" set. I'm going to make her a simple apron, take one of the mixing bowls from the science set, a whisk, and make up one of those 'gifts in a jar' mixes. Just the act of doing with mommy will be special to her, kwim? I think I can make the apron from fabric in my stash, so I'll need to get just the ingredients for the cookies/brownies, so about $5?

I may also make them bath sets...for older dd I'd get some small bottle of bubble bath and lotions, maybe make her a bath fizzy bomb or some Epsom salts. For middle dd, I'd get her some shaving cream, bubble bath, and make some soap crayons, or color tablets. For youngest dd, I can probably find some small plastic cups, animals, and toys...

Way to go on the doll clothes! I have a whole pile of things waiting for the same treatment. Usually I'd be feeling guilty now, but my machine blew up last week so I can admire without the guilt, lol.

If you've made them this month, do cross post on my crafters thread! I'll be posting it tonight when dh uploads my photos.

Rosie

I will look for it. I made the AG doll clothes today. Took a few hours start to finish...including coffee breaks!

I made the baby stuff October 29th...does that count? (I am trying to slip in sewing when I can between papers for my school)

Book for intro to sewing ideas - Sewing School by Plumley

Just ordered this book for dd8 and looking to buy things for a sewing kit!

I have not made them yet. I do sew a lot however and I will post some sewing kit ideas for girls later.

Please share! I need specifics, such as best kind of needle and fabric for a first time hand sewer who is 8. ;)

Great idea! Thank you.

Your doll clothes are awesome!

:iagree: Gonna try it in the next few days.

This thread is totally inspiring, especially for someone like me - not crafty. :lol:

Not nearly as clever as you all, but I am making homemade granola to give as holiday gifts (looking for a good recipe). And ds is getting a bunch of duct tape with print outs of some "ductivities".

I will look for it. I made the AG doll clothes today. Took a few hours start to finish...including coffee breaks!

I made the baby stuff October 29th...does that count? (I am trying to slip in sewing when I can between papers for my school)

Oh I am awe! Only a few hours? I have Sewing Project ADD (offense to people who really have ADD is unintended.) I can't apply myself to a sewing project for more than about 5 minutes at a time, then I have to wander off to realign myself or something. It makes everything take much longer! But if I try to persevere, I'll mess something up! Fortunately I'm not like this with embroidery or with knitting any more. Otherwise I would never, ever get anything done!

I did get the thread up even without dh helping :) http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328143

Rosie

I have Sewing Project ADD (offense to people who really have ADD is unintended.) I can't apply myself to a sewing project for more than about 5 minutes at a time, then I have to wander off to realign myself or something. It makes everything take much longer! But if I try to persevere, I'll mess something up!

Rosie

This sounds like me! I'm a seamstress wannabe but I just cannot focus on a sewing project long enough to make good progress. Then after the wandering it takes some time just to figure out what I was doing before, which is conducive to more wandering and . . . you get the picture. ;)

I'll like to make a snow day kit with things to decorate snowman, pens for drawing in the snow, moulds to build a fort, something to make snowballs etc.

Any ideas on how to do this frugally?

Thanks.

Well see if your library has this book: Snow Play by Birgitta Rawlston

snow%2Bplay.jpg

You could buy hats at halloween stores or even the dollar store. This blog has a tutorial to make one which is really exciting to me.

DSC04399.JPG

Here is another blog that shows you a nice bag to store it all in and present it as a gift.

004.JPG

I think it is important that you attach short wooden dowels to the rocks and buttons to push them into the snowman otherwise they would probably fall off and get lost on the ground. I have seen wooden dowels about 10" long at my craft store if you don't have a saw.

Another idea is that you could make the carrot, eyes and mouth out of polymer clay and insert the wooden dowel before baking. Don't forget the corncob pipe. :001_smile:

Check this one out from LL Bean. It might inspire you.

EDIT: OK, I just found something exactly like what I was saying about polymer clay. Here is the blog.

P1010904.JPG

Edited by Michelle My Bell

I'll like to make a snow day kit with things to decorate snowman, pens for drawing in the snow, moulds to build a fort, something to make snowballs etc.

Any ideas on how to do this frugally?

Thanks.

Wipes boxes and other plastic containers for snow fort molds

dollar store spray bottles with food coloring for painting snow

On a different thread today, I asked about dress-up clothes. One poster had the fabulous idea to build a dress up chest out of thrift-finds and solicite friends for old prom/bridesmaid/holiday dresses. Combine with a few dollar store accessories and glitter, it would be so great. Makes me wish I had girls..... almost. :D

We filled our dress up box with scarves. Most that I'd gotten from Freecycle and the Thrift Store. I added some purses and costume jewelry and my girls were in heaven.

Create silhouettes of your children in Picnik, a free online photo editing software. Take digital pictures of them, backlit against a white background, preferably, side view obviously. I stood them in front of a lamp with a white sheet over it, and that was good enough. Follow the directions in this

. The adjustable threshold tool turns it into a silhouette. You still have to clean it up and add an eyelash with the Doodle tool. I intend to use these to hang on the wall and for grandparent gifts.

I plan to put together a snow fun kit this weekend. I may sew pjs too.

I just remembered--for your spray bottles for the snow fun kit--instead of food coloring you could use those packets of koolaid. They're cheap, come in lots of different colors, and smell good! The color will be more intense than the food coloring that comes in the little dropper bottles and they dissolve easily (compared to gel food coloring, which will also give you intense color but the initial cost is higher).

We've been considering getting a whole bunch of PVC pipes and connectors, adapting a few old sheets or fabric, and giving the kids a homemade building set:

http://indigoamethyst.blogspot.com/2009/05/pvc-pipe-fort.html

IMG_3343.jpg

A friend of mine is doing the research to see if the PVC pipe would be safe enough, and so far she's not turned up anything too terribly serious. Our drinking water comes through this stuff, you know?

... are these purses hard to make? Are they machine sewn or hand sewn? ...Those owl purses look so cute!

As regards the owl bag that I posted about in post #34, it was predominantly machine sewn but there was some hand sewing involved as well. It took my friend (the crafty one) and I the better part of a day to finish it; however, we had a lot of fun at the same time.

Regards,

Kareni

We've been considering getting a whole bunch of PVC pipes and connectors, adapting a few old sheets or fabric, and giving the kids a homemade building set:

My husband did something similar for our son a few years ago, minus the fabric. He gave him a big batch of PVP pipe in various lengths and sizes, along with a bunch of different kinds of connectors. It was a huge hit and still gets used in the backyard.

I have loved this thread! I have a whole page full of ideas! Now I'll have to worry about making too many free and cheap things lol! So inspiring :) I'll definitely be making the tents and coupon book and on another thread a lady gives her kids a box of sugary cereal all to themselves. Since we don't eat it, they'll think they have died and gone to heaven:tongue_smilie:

Michelle, thank you for starting this thread! Any ideas for a fun sewing kit for an 8 year old? You mentioned this earlier!

I would start with a good book or two. (You can even get them at the library and only buy the really useful ones.) Here are some suggestions:

Made By Me

Sewing School

All Dolled Up

Big Little Felt Universe (Good for learning hand sewing)

I highly recommend this series: Stitches and Pins

Then I would assemble the sewing kit. Here is a good start.

TUTORIAL #1

TUTORIAL #2

Children%27s+Sewing+Kit10.jpg

For tools, I would add:

Items to include in a sewing kit:

2 pair of scissors- an inexpensive pair of paper scissors and a good quality pair of fabric shears. By including both pair of scissors, you are insuring that the fabric scissors will last a long time.

Straight pins & Pin Cushion - many people, find the quilting pins with colored heads, easier to handle. Visit a notions department and see the vast assortment available on today's market. A magnetic pin holder is also available in most notions departments.

A tape measure

A gauge - This is a great tool for making accurate measurements and for tracing straight lines such as darts.

A seam ripper- These are available in many sizes.

Hand sewing needles - a nice assortment to fit various sewing needs

Thread - a variety of basic colors in a good quality thread.

Sewing Bodkin - for threading elastic through casings. You can use safety pins, but it is harder.

Edited by Michelle My Bell

Michelle, this thread is awesome, thank you for all your great posts!

Zee is very into survival/camping type stuff, and he likes to watch some epispodes of Surviorman with dh online. Anyway, we were gonna build him the tent, until I saw the fort kit. How PERFECT that is for Zee!

Soi I made it!

Here's what I did:

We have lots of extra twin size flat sheets and pillowcases. We don't use the flat sheets in our family (we're wierd like that) but I keep them, becuase, you know, they're a set. :D So I sewed ties onto the corners and the center of two of them, like the tutorial says. I just used fabric from my stash, so that part was free.

For the bag to hold it all, I used a pillowcase that I already had that co-ordinated with both sheets. I just sewed a buttonhole and added a tie I already had to make it a drawstring bag. I then made another drawstring bag out of a smaller pillowcase (that I had made in the past for a travel size pillow that Moose sleeps with; Did I mention I've made too many pillowcases for my boys? I don't know what my thing is with sheets and pillowcases, but this project helped me use them up). I used some extra fabric I had leftover that matched the smaller pilllowcase to make a pocket on the outside of the big pillowcase.

For the accessories, I got a package of clothespins for $0.97 at Walmart, and a package of suction cups with hooks at the dollar store. I Got two packages of strong magnetic plastic clips instead of the clamps (at the dollar store), because my dollar store doesn't sell clamps, and the hardware store sold them too pricey. They wanted like $3-$4 per clamp! I did get him a head flashlight, since he already has an 'emergency' flashlight with a siren and a radio. That was $4.88 at Walmart (The head flashlight). And then I got him rope; but it's a long story, I got the wrong rope, and have to return it, but it'll be $4 for the rope. I have no idea how the lady on the turtorial found rope at the dollar store, I can't.

So all told, I spent about $13 to make the fort kit. I wish I could've found rope at the dollar store. :tongue_smilie: Or clamps. But I did save by already having the supplies for the sheets and bags.

I'm gonna make a tag like the one on the tutorial, so that Zee will know what it is when he opens his gift. :001_smile: He's gonna have SO much fun with it!

Edited by bethanyniez