Menu

CC: JAWM: Vent...

:iagree: I attended a church once in which the pastor said he wasn't going to tell people who to vote for, but if they voted for Candidate Y, they needed to have their head examined—and they better not even think about throwing away their votes on a third party. Nope. He wasn't telling people who to vote for at all. :rolleyes:

Thankfully, we've never encountered it in worship. In SS and small groups, yes. Hate the discord, most of which occurs because some people think if you are a Christian, you must be of a certain party and hold certain political beliefs.

Years ago, we attended a church where the priest/pastor talked about politics all the time. All. The. Time. It was so annoying. He thought that Jesus was the leader of a political movement, so it was never ending. We left.

We once visited my father's church, and the priest/pastor criticized a political commentator during the sermon, and one of the parishioners shouted "Amen!" Later the same parishioner was introduced as the new associate priest/pastor. Ugh.

I love that I have never heard politics mentioned in our current church, except to pray for wisdom and discernment for political leaders.

YES!

We had a state representative in our congregation in TX who would basically promote his re-election during the service sometimes. It made me sick to my stomach.

It just is not the place. (And I'm not always convinced he was the best candidate, either!)

I don't know that Jesus would want to associate Himself with any of the current political parties! He wasn't really a fan of corruption, misappropriation of funds, sexual harassment, and y'know posting photos of weiners on Twitter and stuff...

A few decades ago when I was in college, I was visiting a church in that city while not yet professing to be a Christian. It was near election time. Turns out one of the members of that congregation was the US Congressman for that district.

Since he was in the district that weekend instead of Washington DC, the pastor asked him to come forward to be prayed over by the church leaders. The pastor said "this is not about voting for or against him. It is about praying for our leaders and those in authority." I found out later the pastor didn't actually vote for the guy but was still able to be polite, and pray for him. no one prayed for him to win or lose. He wasn't my preference for candidate, but I felt comfortable with the general idea of the pastor praying for him. Thought it was neat.

-crystal

Interesting this was brought up on my screen tonight. Our homily today wasn't exactly political, in that he certainly wasn't naming names or saying "vote this way or that." It was more along the lines of: there are natural laws (not this denomination or that, not even specifically Christian, but simply human laws) that can't be overruled by government and encouraging us to be involved in the process of governing and to hold our elected leaders accountable. To take our civic responsibility seriously and not be passive participants.

It reminded me of something my mom used to say about dinner: if you don't like it so much, then YOU cook it!

I didn't find the homily at my church today offensive. So, I'm curious, OP: was that the kind of preaching you heard today, too? Or was yours more specifically about this party, that party and who should be elected to what position?

Interesting this was brought up on my screen tonight. Our homily today wasn't exactly political, in that he certainly wasn't naming names or saying "vote this way or that." It was more along the lines of: there are natural laws (not this denomination or that, not even specifically Christian, but simply human laws) that can't be overruled by government and encouraging us to be involved in the process of governing and to hold our elected leaders accountable. To take our civic responsibility seriously and not be passive participants.

It reminded me of something my mom used to say about dinner: if you don't like it so much, then YOU cook it!

I didn't find the homily at my church today offensive. So, I'm curious, OP: was that the kind of preaching you heard today, too? Or was yours more specifically about this party, that party and who should be elected to what position?

I can't get too far into it without this thread becoming political; that is the reason for the JAWM warning and my keeping it general.

It wasn't about laws. It wasn't about political parties, though that would be implied if you knew the type of church it was. Yes, a specific group was named and called names. That irked me (I don't stand for or against said group, but I understand the reasons behind said group and know that there is more than two sides to this coin).

I grew up in this kind of church, listened to this kind of thing every week, used to nod my head in agreement, and now I'm just shocked after being away from it for so long. I watched it online after watching an online Liturgy. Also, I just have gotten to the point where I want to WORSHIP, not sit there and hear a commentary (aka opinion). That's what got me the most.

Please let me leave it at that.