Menu

Ugh, my KitchenAid is dead.

Did it die suddenly, or were there "signs?" Mine is 14 years old, and the other day I noticed the motor smelled hot when I was mixing a large batch of cookie dough. I'm wondering if something's amiss...

Do you have a new model in mind? I have no idea what I'd do if mine quit completely!

You can have it repaired! These machines were meant to be repaired, not just thrown out when they break. I would call a local appliance repair man and take it in.

I beg to differ. My dh opened the top on mine, and said it is a disposable motor in it. It is made so that you cannot get it apart without damage.

That's why I went with the more expensive professional model. The reviews for the basic KitchenAid indicated more problems than I wanted to deal with.

I went with a Professional 600. It lasted 4 years. Dh was able to tweak something inside it so that it still runs, but it's louder than heck with a high-pitched squeal.

I think the older models were meant to be serviced and keep on going. But the newer ones are just not the same. I was so disappointed, I loved my mixer, and used it all the time. Weekly pizza dough was probably the culprit for us.

I now have a Bosch, but it's taking some getting used to. I do not like the center post.

Now, I am looking at consumer complaints. Looks like something changed in the company at some point? I wonder when. I have had mine since 1998, and it is still working great.

Hobart, who makes commercial mixers, made KitchenAids until 1985, but lawsuits held up the transition until 1986. The wonderful reputation the mixers had was developed during the Hobart era, and you'll still find many of those mixers going strong today. Sadly, what has happened to the brand since then is why you see all of the complaints.

Hobart, who makes commercial mixers, made KitchenAids until 1985, but lawsuits held up the transition until 1986. The wonderful reputation the mixers had was developed during the Hobart era, and you'll still find many of those mixers going strong today. Sadly, what has happened to the brand since then is why you see all of the complaints.

Bummer! So...all the newer ones are not of excellent quality? I guess I am lucky, mine must be around 1996 or so but still going strong.

You can have it repaired! These machines were meant to be repaired, not just thrown out when they break. I would call a local appliance repair man and take it in.

:iagree:

I bought my KitchenAid Stand Mixer back in 2003 -- refurbished by the company and sold via Amazon.com -- works great. But yes to the OP on getting it to the manufacturer for repairs. Even if not under warranty, it can give it more years of use.

I got mine (a '93 or '94, so well after Hobart) serviced, maybe 10 years ago, and they told me that what had changed was the grease they used. The repairman claimed they were no longer allowed to use the original grease (petroleum product) and had to use something edible now. The new grease breaks down a lot faster, either causing it to need a new "grease pack" frequently or burning out the motor if you didn't replace it.

Overheating it (grinding wheat or kneading whole wheat bread) makes it break down faster and said I should let it cool off completely after grinding for 15 minutes or so.

Did it die suddenly, or were there "signs?" Mine is 14 years old, and the other day I noticed the motor smelled hot when I was mixing a large batch of cookie dough. I'm wondering if something's amiss...

Do you have a new model in mind? I have no idea what I'd do if mine quit completely!

It did move sluggishly one day, then it just wouldn't turn on.

Great link! I am bookmarking this.

I beg to differ. My dh opened the top on mine, and said it is a disposable motor in it. It is made so that you cannot get it apart without damage.

I went with a Professional 600. It lasted 4 years. Dh was able to tweak something inside it so that it still runs, but it's louder than heck with a high-pitched squeal.

I think the older models were meant to be serviced and keep on going. But the newer ones are just not the same. I was so disappointed, I loved my mixer, and used it all the time. Weekly pizza dough was probably the culprit for us.

I now have a Bosch, but it's taking some getting used to. I do not like the center post.

Okay, your post is making me a little sad. I have made dough in it fairly regularly. I assumed at this price, it could handle it. I guess I should've done my research a little better.

Have you contacted KitchenAid to see if they can/will help - if not free perhaps at a modest repair charge??? Had one since before 1998 (don't recall exact year) and it's going great.

No, not yet. This was dh's suggestion, too. I was considering upgrading models, but after researching a little sounds like I might need a different brand.

Weekly pizza dough was probably the culprit for us.

:confused:I make weekly pizza dough, have been wondering about my 11 yo KA motor, and had planned on a Bosch replacement when it happens.

Would you still buy a Bosch again or would you go back to a KA?

They are now a division of Whirlpool. The once metal components are plastic and the appliances are no longer meant to be repaired and maintained. (which is what I was told by Whirlpool "customer service" when I called to find a shear pin for my - formerly made by Hobart - coffee grinder.)

They are coasting on the reputation Hobart built. Alas, I think their own reputation is becoming more evident.