Menu

What sorts of books does your second grader read?

plain jane

My second grader can read more difficult books but chooses not to. She still really prefers picture books (long kind) to novels or chapter books. I'm thinking this is okay and I want her to enjoy reading to I don't push the issue much.

But, I don't know if perhaps I'm not challenging her enough.

She's read Prince Caspian, Charlotte's Web and LWW (her choices, not mine) but mostly when it's reading time she reads longer picture books like Velveteen Rabbit or some nonfiction from history.

Should I be encouraging her to read more novels? Misty of Chincoteague, perhaps? Or should I let things be? I can't seem to find a balance between her enjoying reading and also challenging her more.

We alternate, I assign her slightly more difficult reading, and when she's done with that, I let her read a book or two of her choosing, usually picture books. You can also have an assigned reading time where you choose the books and a free reading time where she can read whatever she likes at different points during the day.

I've got two second graders. One is reading Harry Potter (albeit kind of slowly) and loved this series called The Travels of Thelonious (which was a similar length and reading level). And the other is still on Henry and Mudge and Mercy Watson. So, I definitely think there's a range of normal. :)

I think picture books and easy readers are still fine. They do build fluency, you know.

We alternate, I assign her slightly more difficult reading, and when she's done with that, I let her read a book or two of her choosing, usually picture books. You can also have an assigned reading time where you choose the books and a free reading time where she can read whatever she likes at different points during the day.

This is what I try and do. I'd like to get an idea of what other kiddos are reading at this age. :)

My oldest was an advanced reader while this one doesn't seem to be as much. I don't want to compare her to my oldest and am trying to get a better feel for what other second graders are doing.

My boys read daily for 45 -60 min. They are required to read a book they have never read before. I have a shelf of pre-approved books they can choose from so that I have some control over the level but they get some control over what they read. I also assign 2-3 books per month, 1 is usually challenging the others are on topic for history or science. Currently, both of my older boys read 10-12 books per month, so they are still getting a lot of choice.

We are working our way to the end of OPGTTR. I think we have about 30 lessons left. Dd7 can read well enough to read independently but she isn't interested in reading much on her own. Most of her reading is done with me. I read a paragraph/page, she read a paragraph/page. Right now we are reading Tumtum and Nutmeg by Emily Bearn.

My ds is in 2nd grade but not a fluent reader yet. I would say not fluent enough for chapter books. He has read Nate the Great, Little Bear, Toad and Frog but we're sort of stuck at this level right now. Not sure how to get the fluency other than keep making him read aloud to me. Hoping it will just click! He loves the audiobooks of Magic Tree House, but haven't even thought about getting the books to see if that sparks his interest.

Dd7/2nd just read Island Of The Blue Dolphins following Charlotte's Web, Little House On The Praire, abridged classics and a very slow slog through Secret Garden (with lots of help). She has read most of the Beatrix Potter collection.

She is attempting to read Misty this week but it's not going well. I think it's too much.

Mine is not up to the level of many on here (or of my first dd at that age..)

She just finished her first Beatrix Potter yesterday, and it was not easy for her. She has just finished the whole Arnold Lobel series (Frog and Toad and others..) and Amelia Bedelias, and likes a set about Fluffy the guinea pig. She reads level 3 from the history reader series at the library (titles are usually listed in SOTW)

We will just keep at it. She did pick up an American Girl book on her own yesterday, so here is hoping that she is getting ready for longer books without pictures. She told me she read the first two pages so far.

My dd was an advanced reader so I'm going to answer based on the stage of reading you're talking about rather than a specific age/grade because I don't have much experience outside of our family. When dd was capable of reading chapter books/novels but preferred picture books I still let her read a lot of picture books but tried to introduce longer books (Alice in Wonderland, Little House, etc.. What finally pushed her over the edge in thinking that chapter books weren't too bad was the Magic Treehouse series. We were in the bookstore and I told her I was going to buy her a chapter book to try. She of course said she wasn't interested but started reading it in the car and finished it the same day. We went back the next day and bought 3 more which she promtly finished. After that we decided the library copies would work fine so mom and dad wouldn't go broke! After a few weeks reading the Magic Treehouse books she started picking up the books she wasn't interested in previously like Alice in Wonderland and started reading them. I don't know if it was a confidence issue or what specifically changed her mind but she just started reading more difficult material.

I think as long as you keep trying it will eventually click. DD still reads picture books regularly in between things like The Hobbit and The Girl Who Could Fly.

I have two 2nd graders. They are both reading the Sonlight Grade 3 readers out loud to me. My dd has read several American Girl books, and is enjoying those. They also like Magic Treehouse books. They can both read these books out loud with just a little help now and then, but neither of them wants to sit down and read chapter books independently yet.

DS loves the Percy Jackson books. He is reading the new one (Son of Neptune) now with breaks for the Mythlopedia books. DD was reading shorter chapter books at that age -- American Girl, Nancy Drew, Roald Dahl, plus tons of nonfiction. I think most kids go through stages where they read lots of things that might not be a challenge, but serve to build confidence and reading speed. Also, many picture books are at a higher reading level than leveled readers and the chapter books marketed to beginning readers.

Mine just went through a Thea/Geronimo Stilton binge, now she is on Puppy Place books. Adding some Judy Moody also. She is also a huge nonfiction reader of animals, mostly sharks. I encourage her to read picture books everyday to work on her fluency, which is actually very good. One thing my dd loves to do that I think has helped substantially, is read outloud to her dolls. She lines them up and will read to them for hours.

My second grader reads pretty typical early chapter books... she doesn't like to read, but tolerates the Rainbow Fairy books. I think they're pretty insipid... but that's what she'll read and right now, I'm okay with it. In terms of reading level, I think she's right where I'd expect her to be.

My second grader can read more difficult books but chooses not to. She still really prefers picture books (long kind) to novels or chapter books. I'm thinking this is okay and I want her to enjoy reading to I don't push the issue much.

But, I don't know if perhaps I'm not challenging her enough.

She's read Prince Caspian, Charlotte's Web and LWW (her choices, not mine) but mostly when it's reading time she reads longer picture books like Velveteen Rabbit or some nonfiction from history.

Should I be encouraging her to read more novels? Misty of Chincoteague, perhaps? Or should I let things be? I can't seem to find a balance between her enjoying reading and also challenging her more.

This totally describes my ds. He reads on at least an early 6th grade level, but when he chooses his reading material, he goes for picture books, the easy readers that his little brother is reading, Magic Treehouse, etc. He's also bad about starting longer books and then starting something else (and something else and something else) and then never finishing them. I really don't want to nag him or push him all the time, so I let him read what he wants to during free reading time and I choose a book for him to read for school. I do put my foot down and insist that only chapter books (even MTH) or more challenging non-fiction books count for reading incentive programs (i.e. Pizza Hut's Book-It).

I was frustrated and a bit worried for a while, but after really thinking about it and observing him, I really think it's just a maturity issue. So I'm working on relaxing and letting the rest of his development catch up with his reading skills.:D

I laughed out loud when I read the bolded, only because I just borrowed that exact book from the library for my second grader... and it has the distinction of being the first book that has ever had her in tears of frustration! :tongue_smilie: She liked the excerpt in WWE2, is a strong reader, but it was just too much! Maybe you'll have better luck, though. :)

Heather

I have noticed that my DD tends to read one challenging book and then a handful of easy to read books for a break. It is a pattern I have noticed after I stepped back from trying to encourage her to read at her actual reading level.

Easy for her to read books (the ones she reads the most often): Magic Tree House, Boxcar Children, Roald Dahl and My father's Dragon. Etc.

More challenging books: Mandie series and the All of a kind Family series, etc.

Honestly though, even these are not at her "level". I have found that it is hard to come by a book at her reading level that also interests her and is not too mature.

My DD especially likes Magic Treehouse, Rainbow Magic Fairy books, and My Secret Unicorn. She reads other things, too, but these are favorites :)

We must have twins! :D Those are the books my dd would choose to read - and she's free to read them on her own time. During school she has 30 minutes of assigned reading. I keep a book basket of books from our home and the library and she is free to choose from those during that 30 minutes. It's a mix of books that are right on her level to a bit above her reading level - history/literature/science books.

I remember dd going through this. I felt the need to push her, but a lovely board member reminded me to slow down. Let your daughter lead the way; Reading should be enjoyable. When dd preferred shorter books, I let her. I just made sure they were quality books, so we read a lot of Sonlight 3 books and Ambleside books.

My dd is not a series-only girl, but her faves, during that stage, were the Sophie series by Dick King-Smith and The Worst Witch Series by Jill Murphy. She also gobbled up The Sarah, Plain and Tall series and much of Roald Dahl.

Remember that many picture books actually have a higher reading level. Your daughter must instinctively know her comfort zone. Be sure to leave around lots of fairy tale picture books for her.

Also, do a search for board members eliana and nmoira and Lori D. and abbeyj. They have suggested many great books over the years. You will not go wrong with their suggestions.

Best of luck!

Remember that many picture books actually have a higher reading level.

Best of luck!

Also, many picture books are at a higher reading level than leveled readers and the chapter books marketed to beginning readers.

As the children's librarian at our local library, I see parents almost daily who drag their 1st-4th graders out of the picture book room, telling them they're too big for the baby books and they need to be reading chapter books. They inevitably end up checking out Junie B. Jones, Magic Treehouse, Horrible Harry, or Ready Freddy books. The reading level of these beginning chapter books is much lower than many picture books. Books by Patricia Polacco, Chris Van Allsburg, and Robert Mcclosky are all a higher reading level, richer content, and visually appealing. If your child wants to read picture books, I say go for it!

I laughed out loud when I read the bolded, only because I just borrowed that exact book from the library for my second grader... and it has the distinction of being the first book that has ever had her in tears of frustration! :tongue_smilie: She liked the excerpt in WWE2, is a strong reader, but it was just too much! Maybe you'll have better luck, though. :)

Heather

I posted a similar sentiment above about Misty. It requires a clever fake southern accent (which apparently I am quite skilled at) so dd would prefer I read much of it TO her. Great book. Just not the best source for solo second-grade reading. At least here. :)

And, yes, we first met Misty in WWE2.

This is what I try and do. I'd like to get an idea of what other kiddos are reading at this age. :)

My oldest was an advanced reader while this one doesn't seem to be as much. I don't want to compare her to my oldest and am trying to get a better feel for what other second graders are doing.

Ariel isn't an advanced reader like a lot of the kids here seem to be, she's plugging away at Sarah, Plain and Tall, and finds it challenging, but she's also enjoying The Princess Test by Gail Carson Levine (albeit very slowly) on her own. Left to her own devices, she would read Little Mommy (or other Golden books) or Skippyjon Jones with some Dr. Seuss and nearly nothing else.

I am :bigear: this thread since I'll have a 2nd grader next year. Thanks for all the suggestions thus far!

Can I highjack just a bit to ask a question?

Do you think a "typical" 2nd grader - say, reading at a solid 2nd grade level and neither exceptionally advanced nor particularly behind - can handle the American Girl books? And by handle, I mean read by herself with supervision and guidance by me - probably reading aloud to me.

My young first grader is currently reading at a solid 1st grade level, and I am trying to ponder if we should read these as the base for her "history" curriculum next year. I had a friend do that with her 2nd grade daughter recently, and it worked well.

I went through all the American Girl books with my older daughters, but it's been a LONG time. ;) I don't remember what the "ideal" age is for this series.

I think Misty of Chincoteague Island would be difficult for a 2nd grader. I remember it having heavy dialect.

You mentioned picture books. I think many picture books have a richer vocabulary than most early chapter books. They are also engaging to read because of all the pictures. I check out lots of picture books for my 7yo, and my 10yo reads them too. There are lots of great picture book biographies.

My oldest dd was a strong reader, and pretty much only read historical fiction.

My youngest is 7 now. Here are books she has read recently.

Sonlight grade 3 readers

Jake Drake series by Andrew Clements

Billy and Blaze series (picture books)

Big Apple Barn series

Invention of Hugo Cabret

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon (this one is tough & she is reading it aloud)

The Chocolate Touch

Laura Ingalls Wilder books- all of them

I am :bigear: this thread since I'll have a 2nd grader next year. Thanks for all the suggestions thus far!

Do you think a "typical" 2nd grader - say, reading at a solid 2nd grade level and neither exceptionally advanced nor particularly behind - can handle the American Girl books? And by handle, I mean read by herself with supervision and guidance by me - probably reading aloud to me.

My young first grader is currently reading at a solid 1st grade level, and I am trying to ponder if we should read these as the base for her "history" curriculum next year. I had a friend do that with her 2nd grade daughter recently, and it worked well.

I went through all the American Girl books with my older daughters, but it's been a LONG time. ;) I don't remember what the "ideal" age is for this series.

I have a pretty standard-issue second grade reader... We tried the American girl books this summer and the reading level was higher than she could handle on her own. However, that was 5 months ago... I have a feeling it would be a good challenge now... a stretch, but not too frustrating.

I'd say no. They are written on a 3rd-4th grade level, so you would need to read them to her or be prepared to help A LOT with the reading, and she would likely be frustrated. I think they were originally aimed at 9-10 year olds.

I think the range is too hard to say. Many 2nd graders would find the AG books to be easy peasy and many would find them a bit too hard. I think there's a bigger range of reading levels at this age than there is by 4th or 5th grade so I think it's hard to talk about what a "first grade reader" or a "second grade reader" or maybe even a "third grade reader" can do.

My ds is in 2nd grade but not a fluent reader yet. I would say not fluent enough for chapter books. He has read Nate the Great, Little Bear, Toad and Frog but we're sort of stuck at this level right now. Not sure how to get the fluency other than keep making him read aloud to me. Hoping it will just click! He loves the audiobooks of Magic Tree House, but haven't even thought about getting the books to see if that sparks his interest.

That is about where we are. He is working his way through the Sonlight 2nd grade list. I am hoping for some fluency this year

As the children's librarian at our local library, I see parents almost daily who drag their 1st-4th graders out of the picture book room, telling them they're too big for the baby books and they need to be reading chapter books. They inevitably end up checking out Junie B. Jones, Magic Treehouse, Horrible Harry, or Ready Freddy books. The reading level of these beginning chapter books is much lower than many picture books. Books by Patricia Polacco, Chris Van Allsburg, and Robert Mcclosky are all a higher reading level, richer content, and visually appealing. If your child wants to read picture books, I say go for it!

:iagree::iagree::iagree: THIS! yes---my ds8 3rd grade still loves the books by the authors you mentioned and others----there are sooo many wonderful "picture books" even at a 4th-5th grade reading level, with wonderful artwork, beautiful moving stories. And I also believe the satisfaction of sitting and being able to finish something like Pink and Say , for example, in one sitting is a great motivator.

I haven't assigned reading to my ds yet---I pick a good bit of our chapter book read alouds. But I have also reread Charlotte's Web a zillion times, even though my son has read it on his own a few times, but the magic of hearing it never fades. It's our family favorite (because momma always cries at the end ;)

He's read a ton of picture books---too many to list. But he just hasn't got into novels completely yet. He likes comics--Calvin&Hobbes and Peanuts. He loves the artwork. He's read a good majority of the Magic Tree House books, Alice in Wonderland, James and the Giant Peach, Trumpet of The Swan, and maybe a few others.

But I just haven't asked him to read a particular thing yet (other than reader type books when he was learning to read--Little Bear etc)

I may give him some work like that---a book I pick possibly--starting next year. I just really wanted him to feel reading was a joy mor ethan soomething someone was making him do. I also think there's a big range that kids develop into readers.

Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia, Myth Adventures, and Percy Jackson have all been leaving the shelf here recently and ending up in DD's room. Before that it was a long stretch of Alice in Wonderland and Oz. We did have a time, though, where she preferred picture books to longer books even though she could read the longer novels. What was great at the time were the "Read-aloud" versions of children's books (often on the discount racks at Walden Books here) which had bigger print and illustrations, but the same text. They were HUGE, especially for a little tiny kid, but they seemed to give her the support she needed. We also got large print books from the local library.

• 3 weeks later...

I would encourage her to read chapter books, but not force her to do so. I have my 2nd grader reading for 30 minutes a day; we call it free reading. and she can pick anything she likes. She typically likes to read from the Rainbow Fairies series, the thicker chapters, or she often likes to read Amelia Bedelia, Arthur picture books, or Junie B Jones, her old time fav from 1st grade. I also have her read to me one chapter a day from Little House on the Prairie, which seems to be right at her reading level. She still loves it when I read picture books to her and I mainly do so for her little brother, but find her in my lap too, most of the time. I would definatly let her lead you to what she likes, but your suggestions, prodding, and maybe the requirement of a daily read aloud you both enjoy at her level will all cultivate her natural love for learning.

When I knew dd could read chapter books but she preferred picture books, we started checking out the book and audio versions together from the library. She still gets tons of picture books, but for rest time in the afternoon she will read along with the cd, and really enjoys it. I think Pippi Longstocking was the first one that she really loved, and she's done 4 of the Little House books and a couple EB White books. I think it's helped her confidence tremendously and when a cd skips, she has no problem continuing to read the story on her own;)

My son is an advanced reader, but he still prefers picture books for his pleasure reading. The only longer books he picks of his own accord are SOTW (loves history) and Star Wars books. :tongue_smilie:

I think that's pretty normal. I don't expect him to want to read long novels yet, even though he CAN very easily. He also isn't as much into fiction (except Star Wars) as he is non-fiction.

I assign "literature" - a good chapter book, which may be around his reading level or way below. I change it up quite a bit. For example, we did Detectives in Togas this summer (GL 7.3), then followed it up with Mr. Popper's Penguins (GL 4.9). I assign anywhere from 1-3 chapters per day, depending on the difficulty of the book and the length of the chapters. For example, DiT was a one chapter a day book, as it's likely getting pretty close to his reading level. When we did Charlie and the Chocolate Factory not long after that, I assigned 3 chapters per day, since they were short-ish, and he really enjoyed the book a lot and was willing to read more. ;) His assigned reading time is usually about 15-20 minutes... or less, as he's a fast reader.

I also keep a book basket stocked with history, science, and "fun" books (like Amelia Bedelia - he LOVES those!). We have Magic Tree House (which I have vowed to never read aloud again :tongue_smilie:). I read Misty of Chincoteague out loud. I agree that that would not be a good confidence builder for a 2nd grader due to the heavy accent. My son would have no clue how to read that. :lol: Anyway, from the book basket, he reads much more time each day. He likes many of the recommendations in the SOTW AG. The one for last week's SOTW chapter was such a hit that he told me he has read it 3 times already. It's a good picture book, so a decent reading level (just looked it up - GL 4.5... not bad!).

The important thing is that they love reading, whether it be picture books or novels. The novels will come with maturity. I doubt your DD will be in college, still reading picture books. :D

When he chooses, ds reads Calivin and Hobbes, Foxtrot, Manga books (Japanese comics), big Nate, and occasionally nonfiction about snakes or spiders or something along those lines. (Something with a lot of pictures)

For school, he just finished Frindle and one of the Magic Treehouse books. He read Tornado and another chapter book before that. His reading level is high, but he doesn't choose chapter books on his own.

When we read to him, he likes Harry Potter, The Hobbit, Judy Moody or Stink books.

He still likes picture books as well. I'm glad because I still have some picture books I want to read to him! I feel like it is a race against time before he declares himself too old for picture books, kwim? But there are so many great picture books out there. I'll be happy if he never "grows out" of them. :D