Menu

Random (birth) thoughts. Some TMI, probably

1. Baby's name. Has been really bugging me. I like the name, but...it's like...we decided it too early on, too easily. Not enough conversation, not a family name like the rest of the kids. But we re-discussed & came to the same conclusion.

Now. He doesn't LOOK like a Levi. But he looks JUST like my oldest as a baby, & oldest could easily pass as a Levi, so that's probably ok.

I think...it's been the NICU & the suddenness of that & the paperwork...it's like he became Levi *legally* before having a chance to BE a Levi. They're supposed to come home & get squashed & cuddled & you get used to the name because littles don't know better than to call them by their names.

On that note, oldest probably went the longest before being called by his name, having no littles to break it in for him.

2. Uterus issues. They said it was way to the right one day (not due to full bladder). The next day it was centered. The first night at the children's hospital, though, it was way to the left. I don't like the idea of it sliding around--that seems like a problem. The mw's said it wasn't, but...

Also, the night it was way to the left, I had sharp pains in the left side. By the end of the night, they were so bad that I couldn't bend over to get something off the floor (paperwork). I was trying to hand it to the nurse, & it was so embarrassing to realize I just couldn't.

I was worried about that, but then it hasn't bothered me since, so I guess it's ok.

3. My feet are swollen. And my ankles & legs. So bad that I can't cross them to hold up the baby when nursing. Much worse than ever when pg. I was worried about that, too, but after googling, it looks like this is just a side effect of IV fluids. Since I've never had those before, I guess it's just a surprise.

You are just falling apart--just kidding.

Relax.

Do not borrow trouble--trust me you have **enough** for a while.

I think everything is alright, start to worry when problems go on for more than a week. You just made a person and pushed him out!!

I say this all with love.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Lara

Relax.

I think everything is alright, start to worry when problems go on for more than a week. You just made a person and pushed him out!!

Lara

Try not to think of these things for a week. :grouphug:

Must agree. :iagree: Are you able to sit and just 'be'? You need to give that a try.:grouphug:

1. Baby's name. Has been really bugging me. I like the name, but...it's like...we decided it too early on, too easily. Not enough conversation, not a family name like the rest of the kids. But we re-discussed & came to the same conclusion.

Now. He doesn't LOOK like a Levi. But he looks JUST like my oldest as a baby, & oldest could easily pass as a Levi, so that's probably ok.

I think...it's been the NICU & the suddenness of that & the paperwork...it's like he became Levi *legally* before having a chance to BE a Levi. They're supposed to come home & get squashed & cuddled & you get used to the name because littles don't know better than to call them by their names.

On that note, oldest probably went the longest before being called by his name, having no littles to break it in for him.

You make me feel a lot better. I thought I was strange because it took me awhile to get used to a newborn's name. And you're right, it took the longest with the firstborn. A couple more days of your kids using his name and you'll be fine. :)

2. Uterus issues. They said it was way to the right one day (not due to full bladder). The next day it was centered. The first night at the children's hospital, though, it was way to the left. I don't like the idea of it sliding around--that seems like a problem. The mw's said it wasn't, but...

Also, the night it was way to the left, I had sharp pains in the left side. By the end of the night, they were so bad that I couldn't bend over to get something off the floor (paperwork). I was trying to hand it to the nurse, & it was so embarrassing to realize I just couldn't.

I was worried about that, but then it hasn't bothered me since, so I guess it's ok.

If it makes you feel better I thought I had really hurt myself because I was carrying my 18 mos old around 2 days post-partum with my 3rd dc. Long story short - dh was deployed. 18 mos old fell completely down the steps my 1st day home from hospital. It made perfect sense to me to carry him up and down everytime after that to avoid a repeat. AND I had yet to figure out to keep diaper supplies on both floors - so we were doing that a lot. After a couple days of that I was in SO much pain I took myself back to the dr. for a check. I was fine. Though they did offer me anti-depressants. :lol:

3. My feet are swollen. And my ankles & legs. So bad that I can't cross them to hold up the baby when nursing. Much worse than ever when pg. I was worried about that, too, but after googling, it looks like this is just a side effect of IV fluids. Since I've never had those before, I guess it's just a surprise.

I would attriubute to the IV - plus you've been on your feet a lot more the last couple days than if you had had a normal post-partum, right? You'll be right as rain before you know it! Edited by Another Lynn

Pencil, (or should we call you 'Pusher' for short? :D I kid.), I'm sure you know, but for the swollen feet/ankles/legs, you need to elevate your feet above your heart. For example, you should lay flat on the couch, and prop your feet up on the arm of the sofa. It really does help. I went through the worst feet swelling earlier this year when I had the kidney stone stent thingy surgery; I think it was a side effect from one of the meds they gave me. My feet were way bigger than they ever were in pregnancy, and propping them up higher than my heart did seem to help. So, you know, even though you've got a newborn plus other little people plus probably a zillion other things going on, you really need to just sit down and put your feet up.

(Hey, and since I know you're not busy or anything, :D, I wanted to send you a friend request, but there's no way to do that on your profile. So if you wanna, maybe you could send me one? No pressure. :tongue_smilie:)

Edited by bethanyniez

Ok, guys, I *meant* I *was* worried but not so much any more. Well, enough, I guess, that I wanted to hear from someone other than my head or google that I really am ok, but not that much. :lol:

And the name thing...once I figured out WHY it was bothering me--one of those monologues w/ dh after which I feel better & he's just sat there like a man--it helped. But I still wanted to talk to some girls about it. :D

I did read that the uterus isn't pinned down, but...doesn't that make anyone else kind-of uncomfortable in a weirded-out sort of way? I never thought of insides as being able to just...drift...like a slip 'n slide. Good grief. :lol:

Relax.

Lara

Try not to think of these things for a week. :grouphug:

:iagree: Give it a few more days. If you are still having problems then, get it checked out.

Pencil, (or should we call you 'Pusher' for short? :D I kid.), I sure you know, but for the swollen feet/ankles/legs, you need to elevate your feet above your heart. For example, you should lay flat on the couch, and prop your feet up on the arm of the sofa.

Sure, but this was made worse at NICU. Their chairs are awful, & they kept offering me a pillow for nursing, so I'd be stuck there in this chair that cuts off your circ trying to balance a pillow & a newborn when I still have my own "pillow" built in. There's not enough lap space for that!

It really does help. I went through the worst feet sweeling earlier this year when I had the kidney stone stent thingy surgery; I think it was a side effect from one of the meds they gave me. My feet were way bigger than they ever were in pregnancy, and propping them up higher than my heart did seem to help. So, you know, even though you've got a newborn plus other little people plus probably a zillion other things going on, you really need to just sit down and put your feet up.

:D

(Hey, and since I know you're not busy or anything, :D, I wanted to send you a friend request, but there's no way to do that on your profile. So if you wanna, maybe you could send me one? No pressure. :tongue_smilie:)

I'll pencil you in. ;) Oh, hey..."pencil"...that's funnier than I thought. Cornier, too. Dh is rubbing off on me. Or I'm just tired. :lol:

:grouphug:

I think you need to restart his little life. You and him in bed for at least 2 days, cuddling and snuggling. You missed out on this time. While you are at it elevate your feet.

Meh. I've never been good at staying in bed. I'm honestly probably doing better at even staying on the sofa this time because I'm already worn down. But I get bored pretty quickly, so I'm making compromises w/ myself & the kids: they do the dishes so I won't. They do a chore for 20 min or less, then play. Gentle, baby steps.

But it's 4:30 & someone's got to make dinner. Maybe if I pull up a stool to the oven & make some soup, that would be a compromise? :D

Meh. I've never been good at staying in bed. I'm honestly probably doing better at even staying on the sofa this time because I'm already worn down. But I get bored pretty quickly, so I'm making compromises w/ myself & the kids: they do the dishes so I won't. They do a chore for 20 min or less, then play. Gentle, baby steps.

But it's 4:30 & someone's got to make dinner. Maybe if I pull up a stool to the oven & make some soup, that would be a compromise? :D

Bathrobe/pj's for you and let them wait on you. Paper plates for a week. ;) My 9 yo can make soup and my 6 yo can make grilled cheese or pj's.

An adult just asked me (in person) if I'd started dinner yet.

It's 5 now. I *have* thought about it. But even in a healthy state, I rarely get around to it before 6. Bad, yes. But my productivity rarely meets kitchen tile. ;)

Throw a take out menu at them and tell them what you like, what the children like and where to go.

Lara

About the name. It's not too late to change it. My parents changed my name when I was a couple of weeks old. My mom's explanation was that they should have got to know me a little, at least have seen me, before deciding on a name. Even thought I don't really like my name, I will admit that it suits me. The other name? Not in a million years.

Just a thought...

I did read that the uterus isn't pinned down, but...doesn't that make anyone else kind-of uncomfortable in a weirded-out sort of way? I never thought of insides as being able to just...drift...like a slip 'n slide. Good grief. :lol:

I was interested to learn, while pregnant with dd, that a uterus can twist even while it is occupied.

Never mind the dinner. You don't even like cooking, remember?

:)

Rosie

An adult just asked me (in person) if I'd started dinner yet.

It's 5 now. I *have* thought about it. But even in a healthy state, I rarely get around to it before 6. Bad, yes. But my productivity rarely meets kitchen tile. ;)

This is the time for "Why, no, and bless your heart for offering!"

Normal. It'll all come out of you over the coming week. :D

I never thought of insides as being able to just...drift...like a slip 'n slide. Good grief. :lol:

You need sleep. Desperately. :D

Oh boy do I understand your boredom! I had such a hard time with that but then after being up and around, would crash hard from over-doing it. :glare:

I also had an issue with my uterus after baby #3. I sprang from my chair to help the toddler and just about fell over in excruciating pain. It lasted about a day. I learned to get up more slowly and allow others to help with the toddler. :grouphug:

I also had an issue with my uterus after baby #3. I sprang from my chair to help the toddler and just about fell over in excruciating pain. It lasted about a day. I learned to get up more slowly and allow others to help with the toddler. :grouphug:

Yes! The worst was at the end of the 1st night in NICU, when I was afraid if I slept too hard or answered too slowly when they came to get me to feed the baby, I'd miss my chance.

I wish I knew what causes that.

For me, I think the swollen feet were made worse by the NICU stay. I had zero swelling when pregnant and for the first 48 hrs after giving birth (while I was in a patient room and still had my baby with me), but after 2 days in the NICU my feet were giant! It was horrible. There was no place to put your feet up in the NICU, so I spent a ton of time standing around of sitting in a regular chair. Plus all of the time walking around the hospital to pump, get food, etc. If we had been at home, we would have been snuggling in bed or on the couch with our feet up much more. My guess is you've been a lot harder on your body than you usually would be after giving birth. :grouphug: