Menu

Update on the library peanut issue....

Last week I talked about this.

I knew I wouldn't be able to talk to the gal in charge until today. So, after the program was over and the kids had all left, I was helping her put away the audio equipment. I told her that I knew she was doing this program for many years and I didn't want to rock the boat buuuuttt.....and she interrupted by saying...."Oh, no not at all. I welcome any comments or suggestions." I said, "Is it possible that we could offer something else instead of peanut butter and jelly? I'll even make something myself."

I talked to her about how the kids are sitting there eating the pb while handling the audio equipment and then my dd uses it. I told her that the smell has been bothering my dd (last week she held her applesauce up to her nose so she couldn't smell it. Today I came back into the room while the kids were eating and listening on the audios and there was a very noticable peanut smell in the room). My dd said that today she had bread crumbs on her papers from the child sitting next to her.

I think the lady was a little bit thrown for a loop and said she didn't know what they could possibly offer instead. I suggested just jam sandwiches. She said that would be just sugar and she wanted to offer the kids something with protein. On Thursdays this isn't an issue, because she's not there (ETA: "she" meaning the library lady), and the kids just have applesauce. She (ETA: again, the library lady...not my dd) said she doesn't want applesauce both days because they'll get sick of it.

We talked about other possibilities....such as an audio player being peanut free....or all the players being wiped down after the snacks.....or my dd sitting in a different room. I said I didn't like that idea because one of the main reasons I'm doing this for dd is for her to be with the other kids in the group since there is nothing this girl gets to do with other kids.

She said she appreciated me telling her and that she would think on it. I was a little bit discouraged....until a few other ladies walked in the room and she started discussing this with them. One of the ladies is on the Friends of the Library board or something. She was talking to my dd about it and I could tell she really liked dd and they seemed to hit it off swell (always good to be on someone's good side ;) )...she kept asking dd for her snack suggestions. My dd said macaroni & cheese. :lol: They are going to present this to the Friends of the Library (not the mac & cheese) to get more funding for the snacks. The one lady is going to price foods. They are going to talk to the local grocer and see if he can help. Here is what they came up with for possible alternatives: cheese sticks from the local dairy (if they can get a good deal), bologna and cheese sandwiches (yeah....not the most nutritious meat but I wasn't about to argue about it), or graham crackers.

So....at least it sounds like they won't bring pb&j in for this reading class anymore. :hurray: She told me I could come early on Thursday and wipe down all the audios and head phones with wipes.

We were just about to leave and another gal from this program came in. I kind of cringed a bit because she and I have totally different personalities (she is soooooo loud...when she talks, you can hear her clear across the library) and I knew she was about to be told what was going on (honestly, I did fear her reaction a bit). So, she was updated on what the discussion was about. When she was told that pb is on kids hands....they touch the audios....yadda, yadda yadda....she said(really loud), "Really??? Huh." Then she said in a booming voice right in front of dd and I, "Well....it's a good thing no one in my family has any food allergies because we'd all starve to death. We'd never make it. We just would never survive." :confused: Some of you (probably a lot of you) know that I am kind of a sensitive person.....and so I tried to not let it bother me. But....it was like, "uh....it's not like I choose for 2 of my kids to have life threatening food allergies." :glare: Oh well.

I'm really glad that I got my nerve up and brought the issue up. The head of the program said she is so surprised that with food allergies being so common that in all the years of them doing this they have never had a child with an allergy (she forgot about my son about 5 years ago, but I wasn't going to remind her).

Anyway....there's the update if you made it this far. Here's hoping that this reading class will be peanut-free from now on!! :cheers2:

Edited by ~AprilMay~

And the news lately has been mentioning how the price of peanut butter was going to rise dramatically soon - something about crop failure, etc. So...you could casually mention that it's good that you're looking into snack alternatives to help out the budget, too - and, of course, your child!

Myra

I used to feel that pb was a good protein, too- until I read the ingredients. Unless they are buying natural pb, they are giving the kids mostly sugar...maybe you could point that out?

crossing my fingers for you. I'm a bit stumped that it is such a big deal, that they wouldn't come up with something else, specially since so many kids these days have allergies.

Thanks for the update. I'm kind of surprised it isn't standard to wipe down the machines in some fashion. Aside from allergies I would be concerned about germs. Sorry, but that's kind of :ack2:. Aren't daycares supposed to have strict protocol about that, why wouldn't a program at least want to protect against germ transfer.

Good update! It sounds like they're listening, at least. And maybe LoudLady was trying, albeit in a very ham-handed manner, to express sympathy?

:iagree:I think she was simply acknowledging that it's hard to deal with allergies and she doesn't think she could do it. (Most people think things like that until they have to cope with something!)

I'm glad something might work out. I had a thought if they don't find an alternative funding idea or whatever. Why not switch the applesauce and peanut butter/jelly days? Offer the pb&j on Thursdays and just applesauce on the days your daughter comes. You could come early and wipe down on Tuesdays.

I'm glad something might work out. I had a thought if they don't find an alternative funding idea or whatever. Why not switch the applesauce and peanut butter/jelly days? Offer the pb&j on Thursdays and just applesauce on the days your daughter comes. You could come early and wipe down on Tuesdays.

We actually go to both days each week. It's the gal in charge of the program that isn't there on Thursdays. Sorry for the confusion! This lady brings the sandwiches on Tuesdays. She isn't there on Thursday so in the desk drawer are applesauce cups for Thursdays. But...otherwise, that would have been a good idea. I actually did suggest to her that maybe we could just come one day a week; the applesauce day. But, she didn't want dd to do that. In fact, she asked if I would be in charge on Thursdays (the day she isn't there). :001_huh: :blink:

What's the price of sunbutter like these days? Is your DD okay with that product?

Is it too expensive or too "weird" for the rest of the kids?

I thought maybe they could consider that as a sub.

I thought of that...but didn't mention it. Yet, at least. I didn't mention it when she was in a quandry about what to do because they had such limited library funds. I figured it would be too expensive. But, now that they might get some more funding...I will suggest it. And yes...dd can eat that. :001_smile:

Thanks for the update. I'm kind of surprised it isn't standard to wipe down the machines in some fashion. Aside from allergies I would be concerned about germs. Sorry, but that's kind of :ack2:. Aren't daycares supposed to have strict protocol about that, why wouldn't a program at least want to protect against germ transfer.

:iagree:

Since I have to arrive early to put the audios out (and put them away afterwards) I just might give them all a wipe down before putting them away.

I would suggest apples and cheese sticks. It would be so easy!! Not to mention gluten is an issue for so many, although diary is as well...not the easiest of issues, for sure.

I wouldn't do away with a snack, however, given the time of day this programs is happening. Most kids (me too!) are starving at that point!

Edited by LibraryLover

I don't understand the notion that kids have to have sandwiches one day a week and applesauce two days later. Let's presume the kids ARE eating other things in between library sessions. :D

The librarian is acting as if we are talking abour breakfast and lunch on the same day for pity's sake.

And I'd start wiping things down with a Clorox wipe at this place. They don't seem too keen on basic sanitary issues.

It's great that they were so receptive.

There is a peanut allergic child in my oldest child's girl scout troop and we have swapped out the peanut butter snacks for hummus and crackers. The kids all love it and it is fairly cheap and easy.

I would suggest apples and cheese sticks. It would be so easy!! Not to mention gluten is an issue for so many, although diary is as well...not the easiest of issues, for sure.

I wouldn't do away with a snack, however, given the time of day this programs is happening. Most kids (me too!) are starving at that point!

Yes...apples could be a choice too. But then....knowing me....I'd be wondering if the apple was ever washed. :001_huh: :001_smile:

Supposedly after years, and years of having this program......my kids have been the only ones with any food allergy. We are the lucky ones, I guess......we just always have to be different. :001_smile: There is a place on the sign-up form that asks if there is any food allergy. So...there are no gluten or dairy allergies......at least not yet.

I don't understand the notion that kids have to have sandwiches one day a week and applesauce two days later. Let's presume the kids ARE eating other things in between library sessions. :D

The librarian is acting as if we are talking abour breakfast and lunch on the same day for pity's sake.

And I'd start wiping things down with a Clorox wipe at this place. They don't seem too keen on basic sanitary issues.

:iagree:

I didn't think it would be a big deal either if they had applesauce cups on Tuesday and applesauce cups on Thursday. My dd has to have it that way (so far)....she's never complained or said she's bored with the applesauce.

Yes to the Clorox wipes too.

Because it's really not a safe practice and I bet they are going to thank her some day with the way that peanut allergies are becoming more prevalent and are usually the most severe - plus peanut butter is sticky and greasy- it gets on things and is not easy to get off, especially books, which surprises me that they use it in a library!

Since cheese appears to be an ok choice (since it was mentioned by them): cheese sticks, or cheese sandwiches or yogurt (apples dipped in yogurt). I think that wanting a protein source is reasonable for them.

I think the issue is cost. Many things prev mentioned are fine, just none are as cheap as PB.

OP, I wouldn't discount the idea that some kid(s) may start arriving w/ their own PBJs. Being young creatures of habit and all that.

Ideally you could get the library to enforce their own no-food rule which I'm sure exists. Sandwiches can be eaten outside afterall before the session begins. I also think that giving kids food to eat just to keep their hands busy is sad. Humans being creatures of habit and all that.

We had an issue with our local library a few years ago...peanut butter during storytime. They were making bird feeders. We were able to resolve the issue when I explained that we had had to leave and nearly call an ambulance.... I explained that the library should be safe for all children and also explained about residual peanut oil. We knew to wipe down anything we touched in the library, but some poor unsuspecting child patron could have a serious reaction and not know what triggered it...and think that it is an asthma attack until it would be late in the game to pull out an epi-pen.

Hope you get it resolved soon.....I'm generally not of the camp that everyone should accommodate those with severe allergies all of the time....but a library is not where you expect to deal with food issues, iykwim.

Why do they have to offer a snack? I've never seen a story time with snacks. Do they really want peanut butter or even applesauce sticky fingers on their books? Can kids not go 1hr without a snack? I would think just cutting out snacks completely would be best for the budget and potential allergy issues.

If she doesn't go on the applesauce only day, why can they not just switch the snacks. They can offer pb on the day she is not there and applesauce only on the day that she is?

Lacie, you might have missed when I tried to clarify that my daughter and I go both days to the library program. The lady in charge only comes on Tuesdays, which is the day she's been bringing the pb. On Thursdays, when she (the library lady) isn't there, that's when it's applesauce day. If I'm reading your comment correctly (not sure), I think you were thinking my daughter only came once a week, which isn't the case. :001_smile:

Why do they have to offer a snack? I've never seen a story time with snacks. Do they really want peanut butter or even applesauce sticky fingers on their books? Can kids not go 1hr without a snack? I would think just cutting out snacks completely would be best for the budget and potential allergy issues.

The library thinks that by 3:30 the kids coming from the public school are hungry. They have to be at the library another hour or more before heading home. They said that some kids might not be getting a decent dinner at home. I don't know. I actually don't have a problem with offering a snack. I'm sure the kids are hungry...and it's hard to do your best job reading when you're tummy is grumbling. My dd and I are coming from home...so dd isn't necessarily hungry when we show up...but the kids getting off the bus are probably hungry. And, they look forward to a snack. It's actually not a story time either....it's kind of a reading intervention/extra reading practice program. I don't want to explain it all, but my original discussion explaining the program is linked in my first post here.

Well the cost of peanut butter is supposed to be going up quite a bit in the near future, so maybe it won't be a cheap alternative anymore.

I have never understood those people who say their kids would starve if they couldn't bring pb as snacks. Will they really starve? I think not. Feed the child before you go to the activity (and have them wash their hands), or have a pb snack in a cooler in the car for as soon as you leave.

Honestly, we have a child (2 now as a new family joined recently) with severe peanut allergies in our hs group, and we chose to be a peanut/tree nut free group. We have many activities in which people bring lunch or a covered dish. As far as I know, none of the children in our group have starved yet. :glare:

I wanted to add I would still consider bringing your own snack for dd to be extra safe since many unexpected things are made in facilities with peanuts and tree nuts such as some cheeses and lunch meats:001_huh: I always bring a snack for ds just in case. I only let him eat food elsewhere where I can check the label and have an idea of food preparation due to cross contamination.

We had an issue with our local library a few years ago...peanut butter during storytime. They were making bird feeders. We were able to resolve the issue when I explained that we had had to leave and nearly call an ambulance.... I explained that the library should be safe for all children and also explained about residual peanut oil. We knew to wipe down anything we touched in the library, but some poor unsuspecting child patron could have a serious reaction and not know what triggered it...and think that it is an asthma attack until it would be late in the game to pull out an epi-pen.

Hope you get it resolved soon.....I'm generally not of the camp that everyone should accommodate those with severe allergies all of the time....but a library is not where you expect to deal with food issues, iykwim.

The thing is this bird feeder project can be done with criso instead of peanut butter. The scouts did this one year and of course we had to leave since the kids most likely had their sleeves coated in peanut butter.