Menu

are chickens the "gateway" farm creatures?

Goats are wonderful! We love our dairy goats. We haven't actually ever bred them, and now they are just little pets. I'm not ruling out breeding them next year. We'll see. :D

Chickens are so much fun! We lost most of ours last week, but we are looking forward to getting more in the spring.

But what if . . . (insert embarrassed face here) . . . we all tried goat's milk from the store and hated it?

DH is *NOT* interested in any "pets" - all the creatures need a job to do / financial purpose in the Grand Scheme (even our dog, LOL).

I've heard there is a HUGE difference in store bought goat's milk and fresh goat's milk, just like with cow's milk.

I've heard there is a HUGE difference in store bought goat's milk and fresh goat's milk, just like with cow's milk.

I wouldn't have believed that before, but - I think our eggs are WAY different, so - you're probably right. (I'll have to hunt down someone with dairy goats and beg for some milk. LOL)

Do you drink it raw? (Be gentle with me, I'm a city kid; kinda skeeves me out to have it non-pasteurized.)

Do they go to a vet? Are they expensive? How many do I need? Hmmmm . . . off to get some books.

DH is thinking about little piglets (he thinks they will be easier to keep corralled than goats). He has been taking some classes from our cooperative extension on butchering and table dressing. :lol:

If you are urban, I would FIRST check out your local zoning regulations and any subdivision rules, etc. Some places you can do this, others you can't.

In our township, you can do a lot on just 1-2 acres but the next township over, you can't even have ONE chicke on two acres of land. They have tons of restrictions.

Yes, rabbits or ducks would be my next choice. Ducks are quieter than chickens and their eggs are comparable. Rabbits are really only useful if you eat them. I have a friend who has rabbits in hanging cages with mesh bottoms about 3 feet off the ground in a shed. She runs chickens under them on the ground. Great synergy there!

Despite their reputation, goats can have a delicate constitution. The kids are really cute but escape artists and love to climb. If they eat the wrong thing it can easily be fatal. It's heartbreaking.

Cows seem to be much sturdier and less likely to encourage pet-like attachment. Yes, you can have one cow either meat or dairy. Of course, a dairy cow can't be just one for long if you want to have milk.

I knew you guys would know. :)

What kind of ducks? (We have a fairly large pond.)

And good heads-up on the restrictions; we live (A) in New Hampshire (very few laws in general, LOL, and (B) technically a "rural" zoned area (though I can be in the city in less than 7 minutes, LOL). So we're ok there.

I think I would get too attached to rabbits (maybe?). Though the previous owners of the house had some (but I think they were pets). They had an indoor / outdoor pen, but now hubby is converting that shed into a maple sugaring barn.

Chickens are 100% wonderful and 100% the gateway farm animal. We got 4 hens when we lived in town, were told to get rid of them due to zoning bylaws and sold our house to buy a 10 acre hobby farm ;) Then we got sheep, goats, a cow, ducks and many more chickens!

We ended up having to move because of dh's job and couldn't afford property in our new area so we're back to 1/2 acre but it's my chickens that I miss the most.

Having had those animals I'll give you my input:

Ducks are messy, don't lay as many eggs, eat more and are more expensive to have butchered. The best part of having ducks was that it was easy for them to set and hatch eggs and ducklings are fun.

Goats are FUN! but can be hard to contain. Dairy goats have a more complicated feed regimen than some other animals and we didn't like the milk (we had 2 different breeds, no buck around, drank it raw/fresh/unpasteurized, but the kids and I didn't like it). If you really want goats you might consider a meat breed.

Sheep are wonderful. There is very little I can say about sheep that is bad. We had Shetlands and they were perfect for us - they are a smaller, heritage breed which meant that they were easy to manage and didn't generally require anything other than hay. They were very low maintenance and come in lots of beautiful colours.

We had one black angus meat cow. We found her very expensive to feed because we didn't grow our own hay or corn. We also weren't really able to use big round bales of hay so we generally bought square bales, which are also more expensive. I could have purchased meat from a local farmer for less than what it cost us to raise her and she was "higher maintenance" - we couldn't just stock up her feed and go away for the weekend they way we could with the sheep and chickens. She ate twice a day and drank a lot of water. She also wasn't halter broke so moving her around was a challenge.

If I had to do it over again I would have a nice flock of laying hens and some sheep and then do meat chickens once or twice a year.

My advice to you is to NOT do what we did - we overwhelmed ourselves with getting too much, too fast. Try one thing at a time and wait 8-12 months before adding anything else.

Have fun!

Beware of sheep! We went from one (free) sheep to buying one to keep that one company, to buying 3 more, to 47 more sheep on shares, add a different breed of free sheep that turned out to be six a few weeks later, to yet another breed of sheep (down to 3 of those) to 87 at one point, to finally selling 49 about a month ago: 10 wool now, no Shetlands and 3 Suffolk. And did I mention the two spinning wheels and 12 looms??? And two llamas and LGDs? Beware of sheep! :D

You are really making me miss my sheep!!!

If you are urban, I would FIRST check out your local zoning regulations and any subdivision rules, etc. Some places you can do this, others you can't.

In our township, you can do a lot on just 1-2 acres but the next township over, you can't even have ONE chicke on two acres of land. They have tons of restrictions.

The large city next to me allows chickens (no roos) and rabbits (very popular there) on small city lots. No hooves of any kind are allowed, and that would mean no cows, no goats blah blah blah.

So whatever you do, check.

We have chickens, and a pig. The pig is a kind of a pain. She is huge now (almost ready for the freezer) and loud, smelly, demanding, constantly hungry, aggressive at feeding time, and bigger and stronger than me. OTOH, if the meat is really good we'll do two next year because we're already all set up. Our next adventure will be with rabbits. We will raise them for meat as well. From everything I have learned so far, they seem very easy to care for and to process as well.

We have chickens, and a pig. The pig is a kind of a pain. She is huge now (almost ready for the freezer) and loud, smelly, demanding, constantly hungry, aggressive at feeding time, and bigger and stronger than me. OTOH, if the meat is really good we'll do two next year because we're already all set up. Our next adventure will be with rabbits. We will raise them for meat as well. From everything I have learned so far, they seem very easy to care for and to process as well.

Are you raising her in Miami? Jacksonville?

I'd go with pigs, a steer, goats, rabits, or maybe some miniature donkeys.

Pigs aren't hard to contain if you have hog panels. We've had pigs just about every year for 20+ years and have only had one successful escape. The two hogs got out because the kids left their gate open. I found them laying on the front lawn and they were easily contained (they were 250+ pounds fair pigs).

Last year my daughter caught a wild hog and we raised and butchered it. We had a total of four hogs. They are so cute, with their own personalities, very similar to dogs. Yes they have an odor but keep the hog pen away from your house.

Miniature horses, donkeys and goats are great pets. We also have a llama. We've had the llama for maybe seven years or so. The llama is a strange animal (poops in piles and stares at the house all day long) but he's really friendly. If you get donkeys or horses, you'll have to find a ferrier to come out every six weeks at $50 an animal or so.

Edited by Shellers

Are we talking about urban farming?

I am so confusion. :001_smile:

I'd go with pigs, a steer, goats, rabits, or maybe some miniature donkeys.

Pigs aren't hard to contain if you have hog panels. We've had pigs just about every year for 20+ years and have only had one successful escape. The two hogs got out because the kids left their gate open. I found them laying on the front lawn and they were easily contained (they were 250+ pounds fair pigs).

Last year my daughter caught a wild hog and we raised and butchered it.

Miniature horses, donkeys and goats are great pets. We also have a llama. We've had the llama for maybe seven years or so. The llama is a strange animal (poops in piles and stares at the house all day long) but he's really friendly. If you get donkeys or horses, you'll have to find a ferrier to come out every six weeks at $50 an animal or so.

Oh, we don't have that much room (for multiple large animals).

We are classified as "rural" (by our mail carrier and our home loan, LOL), but are actually quite near a large city.

Our small New England town has very few restrictions on creatures, though.

I'm "rural residential" and on 20 acres. We can have whatever animals we want. I guess it boils down to how much space you have.

Oh, we don't have that much room (for multiple large animals).

We are classified as "rural" (by our mail carrier and our home loan, LOL), but are actually quite near a large city.

Our small New England town has very few restrictions on creatures, though.

Then you're good to go. :)

Every animal needs safe, secure pens, even as they range. Shepard boys and dogs also work. :) Moveable, electrified fencing is used here, even by the kindest, most gentle organic farmers. Animals do try to scale things. Fox, coyotes, hawks etc enjoy certain prey. Know what/how to secure, and know your predators.

I know folks who teether goats, but I don't like that. I'd rather them in a large, safe enclosure.

Secure fencing & shelters are your friends.

Edited by LibraryLover

But what if . . . (insert embarrassed face here) . . . we all tried goat's milk from the store and hated it?

DH is *NOT* interested in any "pets" - all the creatures need a job to do / financial purpose in the Grand Scheme (even our dog, LOL).

I suggest raising Nubian goats.

Those were my dear MIL's favorite on her ranch. She would breed them for shows and selling baby goats for profit. Nubians were very delightful. The milk was delicious and MIL made cheese from it too. Lots of work, however. Not the type of critter if you are not prepared for late night birthing sessions in the animal pen during a spring freeze. Study up on it. ;)

We raised pigs and considered the meat well worth the trouble. Keep them in a smaller area and be able to feed them from outside the pen. People always wondered how my boys were with eating the animals. They rejoiced when the pigs left and tended to give them names like Bacon, Sausage, Pork Chop, etc. ;)

We've also done a couple of steers, but like others said, these can cost more to feed. If I had it to do over again, I'd have had the steer out on pasture to make it mostly grass fed, but at the time we did the "usual" with grain and hay.

Our neighbors have sheep. Their lamb is good...

I'm not into having goats personally, but someday I'd love to try goat curry.

Otherwise, we have ponies. In a horrid collapse of the government and services (something I'm not expecting) they'd be useful for transportation and I wouldn't be beyond eating one or two before we'd starve. Of course, many deer and other wild critters would kick the bucket first.

Absolutely they are. When we moved here last year, we had a 5 year plan. We were going to start with 6 chickens and then maybe get 2 goats the following spring. Several months later we had a pig, 40 chickens, 2 goats, 3 ducks, 3 rabbits and a handful of quail. Another couple months after that we had 100 chickens, 50 ducks, 6 pigs, 2 goats, 50 meat chickens, 12 turkeys, 8 rabbits, 3 geese and the quail.

Chickens are a gateway animal because they are soooo easy. You think, what's another dozen chickens? It spirals out from there.

We started with chickens and then chose sheep because:

1. I have heard too many horror stories about goats getting out. I could tell you some stories from friends in NH...

2. It's difficult enough to find someone to feed sheep if we want to go away overnight, but to also milk at the right times? Impossible!

3. We didn't want to get stuck milking 1-2x every day.

4. The children wanted something they can show in 4-H.

5. Cattle are very expensive to purchase and maintain.

6. We like to do fiber arts projects (spinning, weaving, knitting, etc.).

7. Good quality fleeces go for $20/lb.

8. We can't afford to buy lamb at the grocery store; this way we can raise some of our own meat.

There are fleece breeds, meat breeds, and dual purpose breeds.

We started out with two bottle-baby lambs. You really need at least two because they are flock animals. Two was a good number for us to get our feet wet and determine if we really wanted to continue this project - not overwhelming.

This is the end of our third year with sheep (we now have seven), and it has been a great project and a good dose of real responsibility for the children. Despite the fact that we have fleece animals, we are still putting a ram in the freezer next month.

Our land is naturally enclosed - up on a steep plateau with trees and brush around the perimeter. Because most of our sheep have been bottle-raised, they are very friendly. They just free-range in the yard without a fence (along with the chickens). We do have electric fence set up for a barnyard, and also for a pasture, but they don't use the pasture at all anymore. We keep the rams in the barnyard so we don't end up with surprise lambs.

I strongly suggest that you figure out what your goals and limits are with your land, time, and money before researching and choosing livestock animals.

We've raised it all at one time. We do a cow every couple of years. Pigs in between that. Chickens we can't have right now because the neighbors on one side are not consistent responsible dog owners.

We raised Lamancha and Lamancha/Boer crosses for milk and meat. We liked them and they stayed predominantly on grass, light weeds and a dairy feed that I custom mixed (BOSS- Black Oil Sunflower Seeds, Alfalfa pellets, corn and sweet feed with minerals on top). Our milk was very good and not 'goaty' at all. People came here, had cookies and milk and icecream and always wanted seconds. We drank raw.

I did eventually sell my goats and the family that has them now have really taken off with them. I was very pleased to hear that.

We now raise sheep. A fleece and meat breed called Gulf Coast Natives. They are enjoyable. We have 8 females and a ram. There were 19 babies born this year. We lost a couple but that happens. We will be making some new grazing areas for rotational purposes. It will be nice to have that.

Definitely check with your zoning laws. I live in a rural area though.

Oh and I don't butcher. I prefer to take mine up to a small plant near me.

Mother Earth News had a great article about setting up a 1-acre homestead that discussed size considerations for various crops and animals. It's here if you are interested.

I became obsessed with mini cows after reading that article. Desperately want to move somewhere we can have chickens and a mini cow. DS8 really wants goats (mini version).

We've had both sheep and goats and I definitely prefer the sheep because they are easy to take care of, whereas the goats can get into and out of everything and drive you crazy. Goats are more entertaining to watch though (we raised nigerian dwarfs :001_wub:

We had problems with foot rot with our sheep, which was not fun at all. And the sheep are skiddish unless you bottle feed them. We had one lamb that we had to bottle feed. She was a sweet lamb who followed us around everywhere and loved to be scratched. She became a much loved pet.

We raised our sheep for meat (Katahdin), however sheep has a strong flavor and quickly became undesirable at the dinner table. We eat it maybe once a month now.

We had a few male goats (unknown breed) that were given to us, which we raised and butchered. Oh my heavens... goat is good to eat.

Dh butchered a few animals himself, but it was hard work. We eventually just took them to the butcher.

ETA: our pasture was 1 acre.

No way! There's a local guy who does it.

:iagree:

MIL had the local butcher do it all. He would arrive at her farm and load up the animal. Later, she would drive to his facility and take home pre-wrapped packets of meat to freeze in her gigantic Montgomery Ward deep freeze.

Animals at her place were not named as pets. I recall the cows being named, "Side 1" or "Side 2". The turkeys and pigs had butchering names too.

We started with some show ducks for the boys for 4-H and they are now just our very fun pets. We have a mating pair of Australian Spotteds which are absolutely gorgeous and refuse to raise any offspring much less lay any eggs with regularity, a mating pair of Khaki calls (tan with chocolate brown heads and white and brown highlights), and two random little call duck drakes (one grey, one butterscoth) that are a lot of fun but total "spazes" and I wouldn't wish them on any female! :lol: So, they get to lounge around with no purpose whatsoever. But, ducks have a huge amount of personality and they quack talk to us all the time. If anyone comes onto the property, boy do we know it because they are instantly creating a ruckus.

We then purchased six laying hens who refuse to lay eggs. They have until March when they are one year old. No eggs, into the roasting pot they go!

If we had the fencing up at mom and dad's (they have 7 acres and would like to do more with it but it needs to be cleared of brush), we would put some goats in there to eat on the mess. But, it's going to be a while until we can afford goat proof fence.

Faith

I so get this. :D

We started with our lovable Cornish X chickens for meat this summer. Once they were in the freezer we picked up 6 sex link laying chicks. Then we bought the coop a couple of weeks ago and that came with 10 heritage breed chickens and my parents neighbours gave us another 10 sex link chickens. Now I'm thinking we need Guinea fowl to deal with ticks, ducks to occupy the pond and either a pig or goats for meat next summer.

It keeps adding work but the work itself is so rewarding. The meat in freezer, the eggs in the fridge, the little feathered character wandering about the yard providing endless entertainment...Chickens are addictive and definitely a gateway animal.