Menu

Easy knitting question re casting on DESPERATE!

I am trying to teach myself how to knit using YouTube and a knitting instruction website.

After many tries, I figured out the slip knot. You may be getting the picture -- I am Mrs. Fumble Fingers.

Now I am following the instructions for casting on. 12 stitches are done.

Problem: that tail that isn't attached to the ball of yarn is getting shorter.

I am going to knit a scarf for a Barbie if this is correct.

Is the tail supposed to get shorter?

Yes, it is supposed to get shorter. Just be sure you'll have enough of that "tail" to make up all the stitches you need to cast on.

What cast-on method are you using? I find some are MUCH more complicated than others. Personally, I like the Thumb Method. When I teach new knitters, they often find this one easier than others.

knitting cast on thumb method

astrid

In case no one gave you a guideline for where to put that first slipknot... For worsted weight yarns, I do about an inch per stitch. This rarely leaves me running out of tail (the end not attached to the ball).

Other people wrap the yarn around the needle as many times as the number of cast on stitches (need 15 stitches? wrap the yarn 15 times) and then add a little more (4 inches or so) and put the slipknot there.

Thank you all very much for your help.

I am trying again. I think I can do this part. Knit and purl questions might pop up next, though!

I have to learn to do this because I want to knit sweaters for my dog. After that, I plan to knit sweaters for DH.

In movies, I have seen ladies knitting without looking at the needles. They don't seem to be counting stitches either. How much practice does one need for this to happen?

RC

Thank you all very much for your help.

I am trying again. I think I can do this part. Knit and purl questions might pop up next, though!

I have to learn to do this because I want to knit sweaters for my dog. After that, I plan to knit sweaters for DH.

In movies, I have seen ladies knitting without looking at the needles. They don't seem to be counting stitches either. How much practice does one need for this to happen?

RC

If you're knitting simple things, it'll soon become easy to knit without counting or looking. Really. I personally think Continental knitting is easier to do without looking, since you're not throwing the yarn -- you're just picking it. But, you know, it's whatever feels comfortable and makes sense TO YOU that will work the best.

For what it's worth, I despise long tail cast on, and avoid it if at all possible. Figuring out how long the tail has to be ahead of time? Ick -- why bother? So don't despair if you're having issues with it. It's optional.

I thought you told me on the phone that you already had cast on the stitches and are now knitting the first row. . . Was I hallucinating in the midst of my illness?

I cast on 12 stitches, which I have removed. Now I am starting over.

You are suffering from delusions on my behalf. Talk to your DD -- I bet she has a cure for that. I haven't gotten to the knitting part yet.

I have decided to knit an 8" wide scarf, which for this yarn means I have to cast on 28 stitches. I looked it up on the yarn company's website.

After that, I begin the learning to knit part. This scarf is going to be all knitting (no purling) so I can get the muscle memory to work in my fingers.

I don't know if one can make an all purl scarf, but I will find out next week. This should take a few hours, according to some website, but they weren't counting on me doing the work. Plus, I don't know how long to make the scarf. It could become the neverending scarf.

DS2 just asked me if I am trying to save money by learning to knit. That's the beauty of it! The answer is no! I hope this is a creative pursuit, because that's the goal here -- to be able to knit Aidan beautiful sweaters because I have not found one anywhere online that meets his needs in the beauty department.

Try knittinghelp.com. They have some very helpful videos. It does take a couple of practice runs to get in the groove of the long tail cast on, but it looks so nice and even, it's worth it! Keep at it! You'll have that scarf finished in no time!

ETA: Re: saving $$ by learning to knit-:lol::lol::lol: I won't tell you what my last trip to the local yarn store cost me. But I will say that it is worth every penny to have a hobby that keeps me sane during the long, cold, snowy winters here!

Edited by flutistmom

Whether you get an 8" wide scarf depends partly on the yarn weight and needle size, partly on how you knit, and partly on the mood you're in (as people tend to knit looser when they're relaxed). It should be close enough, though. Before you do a dog sweater you'll have to learn a bit about gauge, but don't worry about that yet.

I would check to see you have 28 stitches when you get to the end of each row; it's easy for beginners to create new stitches and drop or combine old ones. If you count stitches at the end of each row, you'll find the problems quickly. Don't focus so much on making a scarf, as on learning the knitting. You can always rip out what you've done and start again as you get better at it. The scarf will be as long as you want to make it, or as long as it is when you run out of yarn.

Purling is a bit more awkward than knitting, but you'll get the hang of it. A rib knit scarf would be a better project for learning that, because you typically pearl mixed in with knit stitches.

I'd plan on two scarfs and a hat or some simple gauntlets (to learn increasing and decreasing) before starting the dog sweater.

Enjoy!

ETA: Re: saving $$ by learning to knit-:lol::lol::lol: I won't tell you what my last trip to the local yarn store cost me. But I will say that it is worth every penny to have a hobby that keeps me sane during the long, cold, snowy winters here!

Sanity is one of my goals, too. Someday, if I get really good at knitting, I want to dye my own yarn, too. I like the expensive stuff, but not yet.

Have you found a dog sweater pattern you aspire to yet?

No, not yet. I am going step-by-meticulous step with this. Otherwise, I'll both mess it up and start with a very complex first project. I am learning patience!

Purling is just the mirror of knitting. So you can make an all purl scarf. It will look exactly like your all knit scarf once you're done.

Thank you!

Before you do a dog sweater you'll have to learn a bit about gauge, but don't worry about that yet.

The scarf will be as long as you want to make it, or as long as it is when you run out of yarn.

Purling is a bit more awkward than knitting, but you'll get the hang of it.

I'd plan on two scarfs and a hat or some simple gauntlets (to learn increasing and decreasing) before starting the dog sweater.

I figure I'll have to learn how to add another skein of yarn to this project because I have one Lion Brand lump that I turned into a ball last week. Right on YouTube I learned how to make a ball in which the string of yarn comes out from the inside of the ball. Aidan keeps stealing the wrapper it came in, but I think it is around here somewhere.

I am going to worry about guage later. What is a gauntlet?

She means that you need to make sure when you are actually knitting, you are knitting with the part attached to the ball of yarn, not the tail left over from casting on. The tail will shrink AS you cast on, but not once you begin to knit. :001_smile:

Thank you! I have been real careful about that tail. Now it is on the second needle at the end, just like the lady on YouTube has it!

I have knit one row and am beginning the second. I have to do several more so I don't forget how to do this by morning.

ETA: Now I am starting over. I knocked the needles off my desk and half the yarn came off. Back to casting on, which I now do not remember how to do. I used to be intelligent.

Edited by RoughCollie

Sanity is one of my goals, too.

ETA: Now I am starting over. I knocked the needles off my desk and half the yarn came off. Back to casting on, which I now do not remember how to do. I used to be intelligent.

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh out loud. :lol: Totally been there, done that! Knitting really will get easier and become relaxing for you.

Knitting has really saved my sanity (and the lives of those around me) the past couple of years. http://www.etsy.com/listing/74748842/blue-and-white-i-knit-so-i-wont-kill

Fingerless gloves!

Gosh, that sounds hard to do. I have a pair from Hot Topic - black with glow in the dark hand bones on them. People give me strange looks, and it embarrasses my kids, when I wear them in public.

Hey--I just learned how to do this last night! Must be the season or something. And my 9 yo is learning with me.

If anyone wants to learn with me, s/he is out of luck. Even the dog has left the room... no one wants to be around Frustrated Mom. Hmm... maybe I've stumbled upon a way to be left alone!

Totally been there, done that! Knitting really will get easier and become relaxing for you.

I was just wondering if the relaxing part would kick in eventually. After 3 rows (plus the extra uncounted one for casting on), I am Tense. I'm going to Knitpicks tomorrow and find a dohickey (however that is spelled) to put on the end of the needle to keep the stitches from falling off when I am not knitting.

If any more stitches fall off, my sanity will fall off with them. It has taken me 4 hours to do what I thought would take one hour. That's one workday of a part-time job.

Edited by RoughCollie

I think it's great you recognize the need to cover the basics, but don't forget to have fun. Determination is good though. Although my mom taught me 'knit' and 'purl' when I was little, I've taught myself the rest since taking it up seriously, and I climbed a HUGE learning curve at the beginning. But I refused to give up and it paid off. So good luck!!

I'm going to Knitpicks tomorrow and find a dohickey (however that is spelled) to put on the end of the needle to keep the stitches from falling off when I am not knitting.

Wise move. Once you're like the ladies on TV though, you'll know how to recover dropped stitches without needing to cast on again (depending on how bad it is) - something to look forward to :D

Also, "going to Knitpicks tomorrow," not ordering from Knitpicks? You have an actual store near you? I'm jealous. I love the heck out of Knitpicks, and waiting for my last order was driving me nuts but totally worth it.

Lastly, I would also recommend an intermediate project (or two, or three) between the scarf and a dog sweater. And if you aren't aware of them yet, knitty.com and ravelry.com are two of the best websites for patterns. Might want to stay away until you've got the basics down though, or you could get too ambitious (I know I did!).

I was just wondering if the relaxing part would kick in eventually.

I'm nearly to that point, and it's taken 9 months. But I'm only knitting squares. I can't imagine a future of mine where I can knit garments.

For your next scarf, do a row of knitting then a row of purling, and keep alternating. Otherwise you'll have two scarves that look the same but you'll have forgotten how to knit plain. :tongue_smilie:

You can definitely learn to knit without learning this tail thing. I only heard of it just now, reading this thread!

Do post pics on my Crafter Update thread at the end of the month. :D

Rosie

A couple of random thoughts:

You don't need to buy a dohickey to keep stitches on--just wrap a rubberband around the end of your needle.

Length of scarf generally equals height of person wearing it.

Slip knots are optional for the long-tail cast on. I stopped using them a couple years ago. I just place the yarn over the needle and start casting on.

Good luck with your scarf. I saw this dog sweater pattern at the Lion Brand website. (You may need to register to get the pattern details.) It looks pretty basic if you do it all in one color and disregard the striping. It's just knit, knit, knit and a couple of k2tog (knit 2 stitches together) and then some seaming.

It has taken me about 5 years of steady knitting and learning to knit continental style to be able to knit without looking at every stitch. And that's only if it's a very simple pattern. Hard to believe now that when I started I couldn't finish a row of knits and purls without ending up with more or fewer stitches than I started with. :001_smile:

Just in case you get frustrated, I will tell you that I have never knit a scarf. I've started several but never finished one. I actually found it easier to knit things with a pattern to follow - sweaters, mittens, hats. Many techniques, like knitting in the round, sound harder than they actually are. Oh, and joining yarn - just tie a knot of the new ball around the old strand and keep going. :)

A couple of random thoughts:

You don't need to buy a dohickey to keep stitches on--just wrap a rubberband around the end of your needle.

Length of scarf generally equals height of person wearing it.

Slip knots are optional for the long-tail cast on. I stopped using them a couple years ago. I just place the yarn over the needle and start casting on.

Great tips!

Also, "going to Knitpicks tomorrow," not ordering from Knitpicks? Lastly, I would also recommend an intermediate project (or two, or three) between the scarf and a dog sweater. And if you aren't aware of them yet, knitty.com and ravelry.com are two of the best websites for patterns.

No, no - I'm going to Knitpicks website. I will do intermediate projects. I joined ravelry months ago, and plan to go there someday, when I'm not susceptible to trying a very complex project. Self-control and patience are what I plan to get out this, besides a scarf!

For your next scarf, do a row of knitting then a row of purling, and keep alternating. Otherwise you'll have two scarves that look the same but you'll have forgotten how to knit plain. :tongue_smilie:

Do post pics on my Crafter Update thread at the end of the month.

Thanks for the suggestion; will do. You mean I'll be a crafter once I get this done? That's good!

Good idea; thanks. As for dog sweater pattern, I'm going to look for one once I get to the point I can actually design and knit it. I get ideas in my head for fabric and now, dog sweaters, and cannot find what I have visualized. I don't intend to reinvent the wheel - I'll find a sweater pattern and figure out how to incorporate the design, and of course I'll get to choose the colors. I am not a very creative person, but the exact shade (or hue, or whatever it's called) that I have in mind is extremely important to me.

Oh, and joining yarn - just tie a knot of the new ball around the old strand and keep going. :)

Thank you.

When I was first learning to knit, I checked Teach Yourself Visually Knitting out of my local library. That book was a lifesaver!

I'll see if the library has it. They do have a knitting group that meets there, so they probably have a good selection of knitting books. I plan to go to one of the meetings after I finish the scarf.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I highly suggest the free videos at knittinghelp.com. Her videos are very clear and easy to follow.

Thank you and blondeviolin for this suggestion.

No, no - I'm going to Knitpicks website. I will do intermediate projects. I joined ravelry months ago, and plan to go there someday, when I'm not susceptible to trying a very complex project. Self-control and patience are what I plan to get out this, besides a scarf!

Not to jeopardize your self control and patience ;), but in my limited experience with learning to crochet (I started last month), I'm a fan of the "d@mn the difficulty, dive right in and make what you like" approach. I wanted to learn to crochet to make lace, and gosh darn it, I'm going to make lace :tongue_smilie:. I practiced a few stitches just enough to get the idea (with thread, no less - I took the advice to start with worsted unless you were masochistic as a challenge :lol:), and then made myself a snowflake. Made an easy lace shawl and some slippers and now I'm making a real lace shawl (sort of - complicated-ish pattern, but in thicker yarn), and as soon as I finish that I'm making a lace shawl in actual laceweight yarn. It's working out for me thus far - I'm learning and enjoying the process. If I had to march through a bunch of intermediate projects I didn't care about, I'd end up quitting - life's too short to make things you could care less about ;). Make that dog sweater as soon as you can :).

Not to jeopardize your self control and patience ;), but in my limited experience with learning to crochet (I started last month), I'm a fan of the "d@mn the difficulty, dive right in and make what you like" approach.

I have a friend who is great at crochet but didn't knit. Her first knitting project was a pair of socks. Then she went on to make a pair of socks for each person in her family.

I'm a fan of the "d@mn the difficulty, dive right in and make what you like" approach.

Me too, usually. However, I do not want to spend a lot of time and money making messy looking things, which is what would happen if I don't develop the skills first.

I am a perfectionist. If I dive in with a difficult project, it will either cause me tons of frustration or it will look like a 5 year old did it.

I need a scarf, and so I will begin there. With this item, I have convinced myself that serviceable is good enough -- perfection is not required. This is a washable acrylic yarn, which helps. If it were a beautiful expensive wool, good enough would not be good enough.

My ultimate goal is to be able to knit very well, to make sweaters and other items that are beautiful, useful, and made from very high quality yarn.

My mission is to develop a hobby that can be meditative in nature, for lack of being able to think of a better way to describe it. Knitting is less expensive (so far) than weaving, which is one reason I chose it. I am doing this purely for myself, although ultimately others will benefit from it.

Learning this for myself is an important aspect of this project. I have not learned how to do anything for myself in two decades. My aim has always been to benefit my family. It is time now for me to recapture some of my individuality and to do some things that I want to do.

Don't feel like you have to have completed something before you go to the knitting circle. I'm part of a Thursday night knitting group, and we welcome brand new knitters. I've casted on for people, helped undo something that got a bit messed up, used the internet access on my ipod to show how to do a new decrease.... generally speaking, knitters want to help other knitters.

Although you'll end up with a scarf in stocking stitch that will curl into a tube. :001_smile::tongue_smilie:

You are a crafter because you are doing it. You don't even have to get it done. Real crafters always have a few UnFinished Objects about!

:D

Rosie

I had no idea there was a crafter's challenge here! I crocheted an afghan last month (finished Oct. 1) so maybe I can participate... of course that would mean actually taking a picture of it. Working on a second afghan, about 1/3 done.

I also have probably 15 or so cross stitch UFOs (I used to call them WIPs, it took me a year or two to admit they were UFOs instead of WIPs) and a beading UFO.

I wish I had started with a smooth yarn, instead of a fuzzy one.

I wish my fingers would cooperate. I'm watching the video on knittinghelp.com for the knit stitch. Right away the lady solves my problem of how to hold the yarn coming from the ball while knitting.

That's great, except that I am supposed to hold that yarn plus the needle in my right hand.

I am woefully uncoordinated.