Menu

Can your children attend to a task for 45 minutes

without needing a break to get a drink or go to the bathroom?

:ohmy: We just returned from Junior Choir practice, which lasts 45 minutes. During that time, EVERY single child, except my 2, asked to be excused to get a drink or use the bathroom. I have noticed the same thing when I teach Sunday School. Very few of the kids can attend to a lecture or activity without needing to leave the room for a few minutes. :confused:

My kids know they need to take care of any 'business' before the start of class, as they are expected to listen attentively to the teacher the entire lesson.

Are they allowed to do this in public school? It is so frustrating trying to teach when you have a child coming up and asking permission to leave the room every 5 minutes! Is public school creating a population of students with ADD?

End of Rant. :tongue_smilie:

Well, my kids can, but did those kids in chorus just come from school?

I know my kids only have a limited amount of such attention in a day. I am pretty sure they get up, pee, eat, etc constantly during our homeschooling day. Well, not constantly but they are not sitting for 45 mins. However, put them in a dance class or something and they are solid. I think it's because they got all the roam time they needed already.

My kids also have the luxury of arriving at activities from home with a mom who told them to pee, made sure they had adequate food etc before they leave the house. If they had just come from school or another activity or had only been home a little while, it would be a different story.

I don't think its unreasonable for young children to need a water or quick bathroom break. I know our ballet teachers stop every now and again for the children to drink. I would think that would be true for choir as wel. Little mouths get dry. Sometimes too, bodies are on a certain bathroom schedule. ;)

I don't think its a ps thing. My older dd attends a school with block scheduling and they don't have this problem even though their classes are 1.5 hrs long. I think it has more to do with being choir and they need a drink. I would think if the choir lesson is 45 min they would schedule a break for a drink.

Well, my kids can, but did those kids in chorus just come from school?

No, by choir time they have been home for a couple hours.

I guess I must be a slave driver, :D because when we start school my kiddos are at the table for 2-3 hours without a break. Once in a while someone will need to get up for a drink or potty break, but that is rare. They don't complain, they know the sooner they get done the sooner they can have free time.

It may well have as much to do with the instructor and the tone s/he sets as with any of the kids. If the teacher makes a habit of excusing every child who asks and doesn't remind kids of the *expectation* that they will come to class ready to focus for 45 minutes, many kids will take advantage of it. I've seen over and over groups where the kids won't focus, will find excuses to "need" to leave, etc, etc. And I've seen those same kids in other situations where they wouldn't think of behaving like that.

I'm not saying children shouldn't be excused when they need to go. But a teacher who has set the expectation that kids will focus and work won't have as many requests.

I don't think its unreasonable for young children to need a water or quick bathroom break. I know our ballet teachers stop every now and again for the children to drink. I would think that would be true for choir as wel. Little mouths get dry. Sometimes too, bodies are on a certain bathroom schedule. ;)

I don't think its a ps thing. My older dd attends a school with block scheduling and they don't have this problem even though their classes are 1.5 hrs long. I think it has more to do with being choir and they need a drink. I would think if the choir lesson is 45 min they would schedule a break for a drink.

Yes, I understand their mouths might get dry singing. However, when we are in Sunday School they are sitting and listening or doing craft projects, and still need to get up and leave. This is 3rd through 5th graders by the way.

Maybe I do expect too much?

It may well have as much to do with the instructor and the tone s/he sets as with any of the kids. If the teacher makes a habit of excusing every child who asks and doesn't remind kids of the *expectation* that they will come to class ready to focus for 45 minutes, many kids will take advantage of it. I've seen over and over groups where the kids won't focus, will find excuses to "need" to leave, etc, etc. And I've seen those same kids in other situations where they wouldn't think of behaving like that.

I'm not saying children shouldn't be excused when they need to go. But a teacher who has set the expectation that kids will focus and work won't have as many requests.

Excellent point!

BTW, yes, my kids would focus for that period of time and would not ask to leave unless there were an emergency of some sort. But I don't find that to be limited to my kids. At the ballet school, it's relatively rare for kids to ask to be excused during class time. Parents of smaller children (three-six) are strongly encouraged to take their kids to the restroom before their 45 minute classes. By 7 years old, kids are expected to remain in class and focus for an hour. By ten or eleven, they're usually in class for an hour and a half at a time several times a week, perhaps with multiple classes back-to-back. They're expected to manage their own needs outside of class time. (Once in a while, of course a kid needs to be excused. But this is fewer than one student per class period.)

I really think it's about the culture and expectations established around a given activity with a given instructor.

I'd take the first 5-10 minutes and have everyone go potty and get a cup of water. Then make a rule that there will be no more bathroom passes given out. That gives you 35 minutes to get something done. And if you end up going over by 10 minutes, oh well.

Alternately you can send home a note explaining that class time is short and ask the parents to make sure their children have gone to the facilities prior to arriving at class because there will be no more breaks in the middle of your 45 minutes of teaching time.

My kids most certainly can attend (they are 4/5). They sit through church, and plenty of other activities that are more than 45 minutes long. However, they do want a bathroom break during Sunday School. I have no idea why. It must be so frustrating for the teachers. I used to have the kids go right before Sunday School, only to find out that they individually asked the teachers to walk them to the restroom and back not 30 minutes later. (Yes, my kids can hold it WAY longer than that!) When I realized this was happening, I told the kids to knock it off, but I don't sit in there and watch. I am pretty sure there's a general pattern in their current class, because the in-room bathroom has been out of service lately and I'm told that the teachers have spent a lot of time walking kids to and from the bathrooms.

ETA: Actually, when my kids were in Kindermusik at age 2, they managed to get through the entire 45-minute class without a break. They went potty before and after. Never had a problem with that schedule. I'm thinking a kid 5x that age should be able to handle it.

Edited by SKL

I'd take the first 5-10 minutes and have everyone go potty and get a cup of water. Then make a rule that there will be no more bathroom passes given out. That gives you 35 minutes to get something done. And if you end up going over by 10 minutes, oh well.

Alternately you can send home a note explaining that class time is short and ask the parents to make sure their children have gone to the facilities prior to arriving at class because there will be no more breaks in the middle of your 45 minutes of teaching time.

I agree with everything you said except the bolded. There will always be atleast 1 true emergency, and THAT will be the child who sincerely tries to follow protocol. (Says the lady who was denied a bathroom trip in the 1st grade...as a little girl with serious bladder/kidney issues...and is still a bit bitter.:tongue_smilie:)

I would word it as, "I pack these 45min so full of wonderful things that your child will really miss out if they are gone for even 5min of class." Or something like that...

That said, my dc (even my 5yo) would be good for a 45min class, given it was engaging. This is a children's choir? Do you vary the teaching style enough? 15min in one "zone" and you should switch. Get out of the chairs and MOVE in the middle of class. Learn rythms through clapping/stomping/beating the chairs/dancing/chanting...then get back to business. If movement is not possible (make it possible!), get them laughing. 45min is long for an intense choral rehearsal for that age group. 5min warm up, 15min work, 10 min ACTIVE reinforcement, 15min work...

I also think some kids have a difficult time remembering to take care of going to the bathroom, getting a drink, getting the jitters out before class.

My oldest has always been fine. My younger who is now 6 is a different personality. I ALWAYS have to remind her to go to the bathroom before we leave for ballet, and she's the one with the tiny bladder who WILL need to go during that hour long class if she doens't go right before class.

I think there are a number of factors that could be making these kids ask for the break. I'd allot time at the beginning and tell them all to go to the bathroom/get a drink in those first five minutes and then it's time to begin. I also don't know how kids in ps don't go crazy being cooped up all day without the ability to do what their bodies need to do.

Yes, my dc can wait. If this is a typical church choir, rather than an audition one, it might be that the parents chose the activity instead of the child. Boredom or lack of interest might be the driving force to leave the room. I don't think that makes it okay, but Sunday school and choir are usually mandatory activities, unlike ballet and gymnastics.

Water can wait. Bathroom breaks need to be taken care of before Bible class, worship services, after school activities, etc. Drives me bonkers. We have one family who cannot make it through a church service with at least 2 of the 5 memebers of their family getting up to go to the bathroom. I have six children and I can't remember the last time one of them had to leace DURING services for a potty break.

Water can wait. Bathroom breaks need to be taken care of before Bible class, worship services, after school activities, etc. Drives me bonkers. We have one family who cannot make it through a church service with at least 2 of the 5 memebers of their family getting up to go to the bathroom. I have six children and I can't remember the last time one of them had to leace DURING services for a potty break.

I can remember doing that as a kid during church because I was so bored and really didn't want to be there in the first place. When going to the bathroom I'd dawdle, take my time looking over the bulletin board outside of the restroom, etc. I'd jump at any chance to get out of the sanctuary!

I have to admit, however, that it seems a little odd to be keeping tabs on another family's bathroom habits. Is it a tiny church where you just can't help but notice?