Menu

s/o hunting...women that shoot/own guns

I grew up hating guns, but have adjusted that attitude greatly. I first went shooting because I never wanted to be the girl in the action movie that picks up the gun the bad guy dropped and doesn't know what to do with it. It was actually one of my first dates with my now dh, lol. Anyway, he shoots, and bought a gun for him. I can't really handle it well, it is too powerful. I can get off one or two good shots, but the 45 caliber is too much for me, and I get hand fatigue after that, and shots start going wider than I like. Also, I can' grip it perfectly because it is too big. I have tiny hands. My husband would like me to have my own gun, that I am more comfortable with. I've shot and like 9mm as far as caliber.

I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on a good hand gun for a woman with small hands, preferably 9mm?

And for anyone worried, we are obsessive about safety. All guns are loaded, even if you just took every last bullet out yourself. It is still loaded. All guns are locked up in a safe with a combination lock that only my dh and I have the code for. (well, the antique rifles are not, but they have trigger locks, and are taken completely apart. YOu would have to know how to assemble it AND be able to pick the trigger lock, and then go break into the OTHER safe to get the ammo).

If you are willing to get something other than a 9, look at the Ladysmith by S&W (actually IIR they do make the Ladysmith in 9mm as well)

It has a small frame and is very reliable.

Glock makes several small frame semi autos that are in 9mm.

Swing by the local range and try a few out, most ranges will have rental guns that you can try prior to making a purchase.

Edited by pqr

Look at Springfield's XD(M) - it comes with 3 sizes of backstrap, so you can use the one that fits your hand best. The smallest one is great for women (or at least for me). The recoil isn't bad, especially if you get a midsize barrel (like 4.5"). Plus it comes in a hardside case that has a place to put a padlock - easy storage for gun, magazines, holster, etc (all comes with it), and comes with the metal cable you can put through the chamber/mag well to disable it for storage.

I don't know about small guns but I own a .357 magnum and it makes my hand smart pretty good. I am not an expert marksman by any means but I am a pretty good shot. Our house was broken into a few years ago while we were in bed (they didn't hurt us and we didn't even know they were there until the next morning, Thank God!) but I was so scared that they could have taken my children and I wouldn't have known it. Now, if someone breaks in, they will be eating lead for dessert.

I would recommend a .380 or .32 caliber...they are both similar in size and are easy to tote and shoot. I am a petite woman and have no problem carrying or shooting either.

Some would argue that .32 simply does not have the takedown power that is required in a self defense situation. Each to their own, but I lean towards at least a .38 if not something larger. Understanding that a petit female may not be able to handle something like a compact .45 there are still pistols with effective calibers that come with small frame.

I have a .38 S&W airweight hammerless. I like it better than the 9mm because I always manage to pinch myself on the slide. Also being airweight it is lighter and easier to handle, and being hammerless it doesn't catch on anything in my purse. I have never actually carried it in my purse anywhere, but I have tested this at home.

Some would argue that .32 simply does not have the takedown power that is required in a self defense situation. Each to their own, but I lean towards at least a .38 if not something larger. Understanding that a petit female may not be able to handle something like a compact .45 there are still pistols with effective calibers that come with small frame.

Yes, I defnitely want something with stopping power. The 22's mentioned are nice, but not really what I want for a self defense weapon. I'm familiar with the feel of a 9mm, how does a .38 compare?

I asked dh and he suggested going to a good gun store and talking to the people there. We have talked to several diffrent people who are knowledgable with that type of thing.

I've tried this, but so far every salesperson is a man, and they either don't understand what "small hands" means, or they steer me to a tiny gun with no accuracy, or a 22 target pistol. :glare:

Look at Springfield's XD(M) - it comes with 3 sizes of backstrap, so you can use the one that fits your hand best. The smallest one is great for women (or at least for me). The recoil isn't bad, especially if you get a midsize barrel (like 4.5"). Plus it comes in a hardside case that has a place to put a padlock - easy storage for gun, magazines, holster, etc (all comes with it), and comes with the metal cable you can put through the chamber/mag well to disable it for storage.

:iagree:

I have a 9mm Glock 19. We have a 9mm Glock 26 on order. It has a smaller grip and is better for CCW.

I really wanted a Sig Sauer, they shoot like butter, but they are about twice the price. Glock 9mm is what most law enforcement agencies use. It's very reliable, rarely jams and you could bury it in the mud, come back a year later, pick it up and it'd shoot just fine.

I love my Glock and have pretty much decided I don't want my Sig afterall.

I have a 9mm Glock 19. We have a 9mm Glock 26 on order. It has a smaller grip and is better for CCW.

I really wanted a Sig Sauer, they shoot like butter, but they are about twice the price. Glock 9mm is what most law enforcement agencies use. It's very reliable, rarely jams and you could bury it in the mud, come back a year later, pick it up and it'd shoot just fine.

I love my Glock and have pretty much decided I don't want my Sig afterall.

I thought I wanted a Glock 19, but believe it or not it is just a bit too big for me to get the proper grip. The Glock 26 seems like it might be so small that the recoil would be killer. Maybe not though. Really, I need them to make a gun in between, lol.

I thought I wanted a Glock 19, but believe it or not it is just a bit too big for me to get the proper grip. The Glock 26 seems like it might be so small that the recoil would be killer. Maybe not though. Really, I need them to make a gun in between, lol.

I can shoot the 19 with no problem, but I have to wiggle my thumb around a bit to hit the mag release. I wish it were just a wee bit smaller....

Yes, I defnitely want something with stopping power. The 22's mentioned are nice, but not really what I want for a self defense weapon. I'm familiar with the feel of a 9mm, how does a .38 compare?

I have both a S&W .38 airweight and a Glock 19. Although I am more accurate on the range with the Glock, I like the feel of the .38 better. It's hard to explain- it just fits in my hand better than the Glock.

I can't seem to find a gun (or holster for that matter) that I'm really happy with. I think both of these guns are rather heavy and they are really hard for me to conceal under tighter fitting clothing. (Which is about 90% of my wardrobe.:D) I'd like to carry a .22- but like you said, not enough stopping power.

I can't seem to find a gun (or holster for that matter) that I'm really happy with. I think both of these guns are rather heavy and they are really hard for me to conceal under tighter fitting clothing. (Which is about 90% of my wardrobe.:D) I'd like to carry a .22- but like you said, not enough stopping power.

My favorite part of fall/winter (besides only having to shave to my knees) is the bulky sweaters & vests! It makes concealing so much easier! :001_smile:

I'm not sure in which left coast state you live, but my left state is, surprisingly, non register. I was floored when I discovered this little gem of a fact.

Well...unfortunately, it's not your state. :lol:

My handgun can't be registered in my current state - at least, that's what I was told. I'm not sure what that means, exactly, but when we were planning to move here, I wasn't sure how to transport the gun. I was going to mail it to a gun dealer here, but was told that if I did, they wouldn't be able to turn the gun over to me because it is not registerable here. I dunno if that's true or not, but I wrapped it up carefully, put it in an empty Triscuit box, and placed it in my glovebox in my car - locked that, and gave the moving company the valet key.

I'd just rather that the government not be privy to the details of how I choose to exercise my 2nd amendment right, so I'll wait until I can buy a gun - even/especially from a private party - without also having to transmit the details to some official source. I definitely do not live in a state like that right now. :glare:

OTOH, this is a great thread - since dh is actively seeking employment outside this state, it has prompted me to start doing a wee bit of research. :tongue_smilie:

You're gonna be in an action movie??!

Cooooooooolllllll!!!

:D

:lol:

I'm no help with what kind of gun. But, you know what's really fun? Setting up balloons all over a big yard of field and letting the kids target shoot them. We've had a "blast" doing that. :001_smile: It's all safe (one at a time with help/supervision). I think it was a BB gun (I'm not sure....I don't know enough about guns to really know what kind it was. Oh, dd just came in and said BB gun and .22). Even grandma had fun!

Taurus compact 9mm - with pink camo grips. LOL (I don't have the paperwork right now, but I want to say to look at the 422 too)

OK, no laughing ... I refuse to talk about my arsenal. :D I am in the south, enough said?

Good price, tested well, and specs are fantastic, which makes it a better deal. It came in a close, close second when tested. :D Take a look at it.

I have a .38 S&W airweight hammerless. I like it better than the 9mm because I always manage to pinch myself on the slide. Also being airweight it is lighter and easier to handle, and being hammerless it doesn't catch on anything in my purse. I have never actually carried it in my purse anywhere, but I have tested this at home.

There are some really pretty versions of this. What can I say--aesthetics are important to me. I like revolvers partly because of their appearance. Shallow, I know. :D

I would like a .38 someday. I currently own a .357. It gets mostly .38 shells as it kicks and is LOUD with .357 ammunition.

It's a bit of a handful for frequent target shooting. Part of the reason I don't. This appears to be my exact model. It's a good thing I don't have small hands, as it's not a small pistol. If I ever can't find my ammo fast enough, it would do nicely as a club.:tongue_smilie:

150339.jpg

I've slowly moved up. :) I started shooting our 22, got pretty good with that. DH bought me a Taurus .380. That worked well, shot pretty good with that but the gun itself had issues. We traded that in on a Kel-Tec 9mm. I'm a pretty good shot with that now.

But dh really likes Glocks. So we were looking for a Glock. I tried the Glock 26, but it pinches my pinkie every time I shoot. I mean each and every bullet. The grip is too short for my hand and my pinkie ends up in the small space between the bottom of the grip and the magazine. Every time I fire my pinkie gets pinched. So this may be great for you with small hands! For a trial IDPA match I tried our Glock 17 and really liked it. DH just bought me a Glock 19 4th gen. I'm having a hard time firing it, but it's comfy in my hand.

The Taurus, Kel-Tec and Glocks would all be good tries for you. Go to a gun store and try them in your hand. I have yet to see a gun range around here that rents guns you can try. But dh has found around here that if you find someone with a gun you are looking at, that someone may be willing to meet you at a range and let you shoot to try.

Actually I don't recommend the Taurus due the issues with the gun itself. The gun store we tend to go to doesn't like it either because of all the people who have complained. (Sorry I just remember manufacturers, not models.)

Taurus compact 9mm - with pink camo grips. LOL (I don't have the paperwork right now, but I want to say to look at the 422 too)

OK, no laughing ... I refuse to talk about my arsenal. :D I am in the south, enough said?

Good price, tested well, and specs are fantastic, which makes it a better deal. It came in a close, close second when tested. :D Take a look at it.

Actually, the one gun I've found that fits my hand is a Taurus, I forget which model, but it is a compact 9mm I believe. I haven't shot it yet, only seen it when we were at a gun show.

I've slowly moved up. :) I started shooting our 22, got pretty good with that. DH bought me a Taurus .380. That worked well, shot pretty good with that but the gun itself had issues. We traded that in on a Kel-Tec 9mm. I'm a pretty good shot with that now.

But dh really likes Glocks. So we were looking for a Glock. I tried the Glock 26, but it pinches my pinkie every time I shoot. I mean each and every bullet. The grip is too short for my hand and my pinkie ends up in the small space between the bottom of the grip and the magazine. Every time I fire my pinkie gets pinched. So this may be great for you with small hands! For a trial IDPA match I tried our Glock 17 and really liked it. DH just bought me a Glock 19 4th gen. I'm having a hard time firing it, but it's comfy in my hand.

The Taurus, Kel-Tec and Glocks would all be good tries for you. Go to a gun store and try them in your hand. I have yet to see a gun range around here that rents guns you can try. But dh has found around here that if you find someone with a gun you are looking at, that someone may be willing to meet you at a range and let you shoot to try.

Actually I don't recommend the Taurus due the issues with the gun itself. The gun store we tend to go to doesn't like it either because of all the people who have complained. (Sorry I just remember manufacturers, not models.)

I have read that the older model Tauruses have a lot of problems, but the one I was looking at is supposed to be great, but not forgiving of cheap range ammo. How was the recoil on the Gock 26? My biggest concern is that with such a small gun the recoil would be awful.

I don't know about small guns but I own a .357 magnum and it makes my hand smart pretty good. I am not an expert marksman by any means but I am a pretty good shot. Our house was broken into a few years ago while we were in bed (they didn't hurt us and we didn't even know they were there until the next morning, Thank God!) but I was so scared that they could have taken my children and I wouldn't have known it. Now, if someone breaks in, they will be eating lead for dessert.

You might be able to get different grips for it to help absorb some of the shock. My .357 doesn't hurt to shoot, but we did have to swap out the grips on our .44 because shooting it bruised my palms. different grips made a world of difference.

...lead for dessert. :lol:

Have you considered the Ruger LC9? It's a very compact 9mm. I've handled the LCP (their .38 model), and it was pretty comfy in my very small hands. My understanding is the LC9 is only slightly bigger. I'm pretty sure there's a grip extender you can buy if the grip is a little short.

I hear they can pack a little bit of a punch, so I'm planning to find one to rent before I buy.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9/models.html

Have you considered the Ruger LC9? It's a very compact 9mm. I've handled the LCP (their .38 model), and it was pretty comfy in my very small hands. My understanding is the LC9 is only slightly bigger. I'm pretty sure there's a grip extender you can buy if the grip is a little short.

I hear they can pack a little bit of a punch, so I'm planning to find one to rent before I buy.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9/models.html

I have one - it feels so good in my hand but isn't as much fun to shoot. The recoil is a little more than a full-size, but not bad for a compact. The problem is the LONG trigger pull, which makes the grip seem almost too small after a while (index finger wraps all the way back to touch the inside of the thumb). Mine came with two magazines, one with the extension & one without, and even the "extended" one is tiny enough to carry comfortably. The price is pretty good, too, compared to some of the other brands.

What does it say about me that I don't care about the men in kilts, but THIS thread has me drooling? :lol:

Dh teaches CC and other NRA classes. One of the biggest problems he sees is that men buy their wives guns they want, but that don't suit their wives at all. :lol: You're lucky your dh gets it. I'm no help, because I'm tall and can share with dh, but I suggest taking your dh and a list of guns from this thread with you to the gun shop. Sometimes those old guys think they know everything ;), and you have to do some research before you get there.

What does it say about me that I don't care about the men in kilts, but THIS thread has me drooling? :lol:

Dh teaches CC and other NRA classes. One of the biggest problems he sees is that men buy their wives guns they want, but that don't suit their wives at all. :lol: You're lucky your dh gets it. I'm no help, because I'm tall and can share with dh, but I suggest taking your dh and a list of guns from this thread with you to the gun shop. Sometimes those old guys think they know everything ;), and you have to do some research before you get there.

Yep. I was six months pregnant when we bought mine. It was hard to even get them to talk to me at first. They kept talking to dh who just shrugged, put on his best clueless expression, and glanced my way (They got it then.)

I'm sure I looked like a good argument for a 5 day waiting period. :tongue_smilie:

One of the biggest problems he sees is that men buy their wives guns they want, but that don't suit their wives at all. :lol:

That's how I got my Glock. He got one for himself and a matching one for me. He was all like, "LOOK! I have a surprise for you, and oh yeah, I got one for me too." :001_rolleyes:

I have a S&W 38 special airweight snubnose as my conceal carry weapon. I don't like it for just target shooting much because being airweight and snubnose, it has more of a kick than a heavier gun with a longer barrel. For target shooting, I'll usually just use a S&W 22lr revolver as the ammo is cheap and it's fun to shoot. I do have my eye on a Kahr CW9 - I shot one at my conceal carry class and loved it. I found it easy to handle, not as much kick despite it's reasonably small size, and I was very accurate with it.

ETA I have an aftermarket grip on my 38 special - makes it far more comfortable to shoot it.

Edited by Krista in LA

I have read that the older model Tauruses have a lot of problems, but the one I was looking at is supposed to be great, but not forgiving of cheap range ammo. How was the recoil on the Gock 26? My biggest concern is that with such a small gun the recoil would be awful.

I've never shot the 26 ~ as ours hasn't shown up yet, but I'm under the impression that it's the exact same gun as the 19, but with a shorter grip. Also, you can put the mag for the 19 into the 26 and it extends the grip by a few inches. I can't imagine the recoil will be much different, but I'll let ya know :)

I plan to carry the 26, with it's own mag, but keep a full 19 mag in my purse. I'll continue to use the 19 for range shooting (and competition if/when I ever get around to looking into it).

Actually it was a new, almost brand new model, that was giving problems and new ammo. Not reloads anyway.

I don't remember the recoil. I was too focused on the pinkie pinch to notice. It wasn't as much as the pocket 22 dh has. :) That thing is tiny!