Menu

This might be the strangest hsing question I've ever been asked....

We were at a birthday party for a friend and I was talking to another mom (that I've met a few times through a mutual friend). It came up that we homeschool and she asked "Oh, that is so fascinating! But I wonder ~ how do you switch from mother to teacher? How do you get your children to do as you ask?" I sort of looked at her like this: :001_unsure:

Once I collected myself I told her that it's the same as when I ask them to pick up their toys. They just, um, do it. She replied, "Well, I never tell my daughter 'no' and I'm not firm with her in discipline, so I'm not sure I'd actually be able to teach her. I wouldn't have any credibility as a teacher."

This time it was more like this: :001_huh:

I wasn't sure what to say. I just nodded and smiled and excused myself.

We were at a birthday party for a friend and I was talking to another mom (that I've met a few times through a mutual friend). It came up that we homeschool and she asked "Oh, that is so fascinating! But I wonder ~ how do you switch from mother to teacher? How do you get your children to do as you ask?" I sort of looked at her like this: :001_unsure:

Once I collected myself I told her that it's the same as when I ask them to pick up their toys. They just, um, do it. She replied, "Well, I never tell my daughter 'no' and I'm not firm with her in discipline, so I'm not sure I'd actually be able to teach her. I wouldn't have any credibility as a teacher."

I hate to say it but as her child gets older, I doubt she's going to have any credibility as a mother either.

This is one of those people who shouldn't be homeschooling. Of course, one could also make the case that this particular person should never have bred, but I digress....

This is one of those people who shouldn't be homeschooling. Of course, one could also make the case that this particular person should never have bred, but I digress....

Ah yes. My friend and I call them, "Reptile Moms" because they apparently believe that children pop outta there fully knowing what they can/should/should not/etc. do, just like baby snakes.

There are the people who do not seem to get the differences between mamalls and reptiles.

Can you tell me how to get my kids to pick up their toys just by asking?

Stand two inches behind them and ask repeatedly?:lol:

(as I'm typing this my boys are in the next room fighting over who played with the one Lego left on the floor last, and who should have to pick it up and put it away) :tongue_smilie:

I think that mother's child is in my husband's first grade class this year. The kids screams at the top of his lungs whenever he doesn't get his way.

My husband replies with, "You have 10 seconds to stop the screaming or you are going to lose your recess. 10, 9, 8, 7..."

It is always lovely for the teachers when parents let their children act like wild animals.

I imagine until the child learns that screaming isn't going to work with my husband all the other kids in the class are wishing their parents homeschooled.

Never tells her daughter "no?" Wow! That is going to get expensive pretty darn quick.

She is a very crunchy, earthy sort of mom that is very into "attachment" parenting. She believes that she can reason with her daughter and get her to understand why certain things aren't a good idea. ie: "The pony is so expensive and we have such a small yard, I guess it was foolish of me to even ask Mommy for one in the first place"....

I think that mother's child is in my husband's first grade class this year. The kids screams at the top of his lungs whenever he doesn't get his way.

My husband replies with, "You have 10 seconds to stop the screaming or you are going to lose your recess. 10, 9, 8, 7..."

It is always lovely for the teachers when parents let their children act like wild animals.

I imagine until the child learns that screaming isn't going to work with my husband all the other kids in the class are wishing their parents homeschooled.

And this is how I know that I am not some narscisistic underachiever who really just wants to be a school teacher, but forces her kids to stay home and play school instead. Bless your husband. You couldn't pay me enough to do that job.

Yes . . . my stepniece was telling us that she had baked some pastries to bring over the night before, but her kids had woken before her and eaten them all. Some excuse about how she had not actually told them not to eat them, as they got baked after bedtime. To which I said, perhaps next time you could leave a note that they will see when they wake up. She answered, "oh, they would ignore the note and eat them anyway." [shrug] And something posessed me to say, "well, I believe in corporate punishment. My kids would not pull that twice." It was then spread around that I had said her kids were spoiled rotten brats. Well . . . .

She is a very crunchy, earthy sort of mom that is very into "attachment" parenting. She believes that she can reason with her daughter and get her to understand why certain things aren't a good idea. ie: "The pony is so expensive and we have such a small yard, I guess it was foolish of me to even ask Mommy for one in the first place"....

Sorry, but I attachment parent and I tell my kids, "no" all the time. Some attachment parents give other attachment parents a bad name. Don't be fooled by their nonsense. At my house my children are expected children obey the first time without arguing or complaining or there are consequences starting around age 2. I still co-slept until they were school aged, nursed on demand until toddlerhood, then I nursed on my convenience until they weaned themselves or turned 5 years old, I wore them in a sling until they were about 2 most of the day and then wore them part time, etc. Crying for legitimate things (being scared, hurt, confused, etc.) was tended to immediately. Crying for illegitimate things like being picky, demanding, unreasonable, disobedient, etc. got immediate consequences.

Sorry, but I attachment parent and I tell my kids, "no" all the time. Some attachment parents give other attachment parents a bad name. Don't be fooled by their nonsense. At my house my children are expected children obey the first time without arguing or complaining or there are consequences starting around age 2. I still co-slept until they were school aged, nursed on demand until toddlerhood, then I nursed on my convenience until they weaned themselves or turned 5 years old, I wore them in a sling until they were about 2 most of the day and then wore them part time, etc. Crying for legitimate things (being scared, hurt, confused, etc.) was tended to immediately. Crying for illegitimate things like being picky, demanding, unreasonable, disobedient, etc. got immediate consequences.

I did not mean to offend you or the idea of attachment partenting. I should have qualified my statement with "this is her idea of attachment parenting" She was very concerned with not ever causing her daughter any disappointment or grief or any other type of emotional discomfort. In her world ~ that is what attachment parenting is all about (we had a few conversations about this during prior meetings)

Guest AZHomeschoolMom

Jamauk: I loved your post and use of smiley's to explain your reactions.

I've had similar reactions to silly questions like, "How do you know what to teach? Do your kids tell you what their friends are learning in school and then you try to make-up the lessons?"

I'd really like to have a zinger of a reply to those questions, but I normally just kindly explain that there is a lot of curriculum that you can purchase.

I'm amazed that so many people believe a stranger in a brick-and-mortar building marked "school" is the only person that would know how to teach our children. :confused:

I did not mean to offend you or the idea of attachment partenting. I should have qualified my statement with "this is her idea of attachment parenting" She was very concerned with not ever causing her daughter any disappointment or grief or any other type of emotional discomfort. In her world ~ that is what attachment parenting is all about (we had a few conversations about this during prior meetings)

Wow. Way to set your kid up for a lifetime of Prozac.

I have actually had that very same comment. I don't remember if I said anything. Later I thought I should have said that every mother is a teacher weather they homeschool or not.

Barb

Yup! That's what got us homeschooling! :lol:

This is probably the #1 thing people tell me as to why they don't homeschool. They believe their children will not respect and obey them so they would learn nothing. I think this comes from two fronts. One is that the public school system has convinced parents that they and they alone are able to teach their children. Leave it up to the professionals and the world will be a much better place. Well, I've seen the village and I am willing to take my chances that this non-professionally trained as a teacher Mom can do a better job, at least morally. Many are completely stunned that they would be able to teach their children.

The other front is that parents have bought their children's obedience to the point that they don't really like being with them anymore. Many parents ask me how I can stand to be with my dcs all day? I am shocked but I think this is just a mirror of the lack of true discipline some children are growing up in and who knows what their future will entail. I really feel sorry for them in that these parents leave all the discipline up to hired teachers, coaches and principals instead of believing it is their role.

Of course, this is just my $.02 but I do here this very often.