Menu

Need to purchase new dishes... Fiestaware?

I was looking at Fiestaware but am a wee bit worried about the complaints of dishes getting scratched. I mean if I am going to pay $30 for a 4 pc place setting, I want them to hold up, KWIM? I'm totally dinnerware illiterate! We've been using Corelle for the last 15 years....yes, the same set even...but I cannot find a new Corelle design that I like (my kitchen is cobalt and yellow) and all of the Corelle designs with blue in them are just plain ugly and dorky looking. Ack! My current set is discontinued.

So, I am coming to the Hive... What do you use for your everyday dinnerware?? What do you like? Do you have/use Fiesta? Any recommendations?

:D

I love our Fiesta.

We used vintage Fiesta (and other 40s & 50s) dishes for many years, until I became very worried about possible lead content. A year ago, we replaced all of our dishes with new, lead-free Fiesta. Love it.

No issues with breakage - and I'm a clumsy one, often dropping items. I haven't noticed scratching, but maybe we are gentle (although that's hard to imagine!).

Dh and I both had sets when we married, and those were our everyday dishes for a long time. We had different patterns, but they "worked" and we even used them for guests that came for informal meals.

Then DH's great aunt died, and his oldest brother shipped me all of her Corelle dishes, which actually go perfectly with my kitchen. She had dishes for 12, so that is our everyday set and we keep the old ones in case we run out.

At one point we had talked about doing something else, but the Corelle ones have gone on and on and rarely break. I also like that they light weight. I agree though that I don't like the newer patterns. You have a tough decision there.

We have Fiestaware and I love it. Ours has held up beautifully and it's SO pretty to look at! But... it's heavy & the kids do the dishes. So, I bought a couple sets of Corelle also and we use those more often (but they don't make me as happy to look at as the Fiestaware, lol).

As for the scratches and such - use Bar Keepers Friend. It is a.ma.zing & dishes look brand new.

We have Fiestaware and I love it. Ours has held up beautifully and it's SO pretty to look at! But... it's heavy & the kids do the dishes. So, I bought a couple sets of Corelle also and we use those more often (but they don't make me as happy to look at as the Fiestaware, lol).

As for the scratches and such - use Bar Keepers Friend. It is a.ma.zing & dishes look brand new.

Yeah, after using lightweight Corelle for sooo maaaany years, the heaviness of Fiesta is a bit of a concern. Will I like heavy dishes? I don't know! I don't have cupboard space for two different sets of dishes....so it's either Fiesta (or whatever I decide on) or Corelle. I just don't have room for both. If I get the Fiesta...or another type of stoneware...I will probably have to do some shifting around in my cupboards anyhow because with Corelle the plates are so thin I can stack a 12 pc setting of the dinner, luncheon, and bowls in a three tiered stacker thingy-ma-bob in one cupboard. I can't see that working out with any type of stoneware. ;)

I'm really kind of bored with Corelle though. I'm tired of being practical.

I've been browsing Amazon and found these sets I kind of like...

This set seems well liked and it's an everyday china instead of stoneware, but it's white. All white. Not sure if I want white.

http://www.amazon.com/Mikasa-Antique-45-Piece-Dinnerware-Service/dp/B000I5NC9I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316105066&sr=8-1

I like the design of this one, it fits my frilly flowery personality, but I can't find reviews on quality, or whether they are microwave safe, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Brothers-Cottage-4-Piece-Setting/dp/B0045D9XYM/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1316105241&sr=1-1

I don't know. I like the 'fun' of Fiesta, but my anal personality probably can't handle purchasing more than two colors (maybe three)....and that's kind of boring too! :lol: OMGosh and besides the cobalt, I don't know what other colors I would get??!! Yellow? Cream? Yes, I am THAT anal. Haha! :tongue_smilie:

I know Khols has their Feista on sale right now and I have a $10 coupon AND a 15% off coupon. I wonder if they have the 4 pc sets...I hear the mugs are better than the coffee cups. Off to check Khols online...;)

This set seems well liked and it's an everyday china instead of stoneware, but it's white. All white. Not sure if I want white.

http://www.amazon.com/Mikasa-Antique-45-Piece-Dinnerware-Service/dp/B000I5NC9I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316105066&sr=8-1

I have to put in a plug for the Mikasa Antique White! I switched to this last fall, and I absolutely, totally adore it. I did investigate Fiesta at the same time and considered it because I really wanted durability, and Fiesta seems highly rated for that, but in the end, the elegant simplicity of the Antique White was just more to my taste. I love that it can be dressed up or dressed down, depending on how I accessorize the table. I love that it's sturdy, chip resistant, and microwave and dishwasher safe. I love that it will never go out of style or "not match" whatever decor I have in the kitchen or dining room. I love that there are lots of fun extra serving and accessory pieces in that pattern that I can add in over time. And maybe it's just one of my weirdnesses, but after I bought these dishes, I realized that food just looks better/more appealing to me on a white plate, so I love it for that reason too.

In the year that I've had it, I've seen no chips at all (unprecedented around here) and only broken one bowl, when I dropped a heavy mug on it. I've added a few extra pieces whenever Amazon offers free shipping on them (which they don't always, but when they do, it's a nice way to fill out an order when I'm not quite to the $25 point) and plan to continue doing so. I have my eye on the tall cappuccino mugs at the moment... ;)

Anyway, you might have already made your decision, and I'm sure you can't go wrong either way, but I did want to put in my two cents on the Antique White pattern. I've thoroughly enjoyed it :)

SBP

We have Fiestaware and love it, too. Love the colors and durability. They are heavy, as others have mentioned, so that's definitely a consideration. My mom used stoneware for many years (not Fiesta), and recently switched to Corelle because she needed something more lightweight. My mother-in-law also uses Corelle for the same reason. I have settings for 16, made up of 4 colors. Macy's has sales on Fiestaware from time to time and offers sets of 4 place-settings. These 4-packs of settings are the best deal I've found for Fiestaware. They go on sale several times a year. I've seen single place settings on sale on the Macy's website for around $22. That's a great price. You may be able to find them on amazon also. Replacements are easy, too. The company's been around and using the same dyes since the 1930s. And, they're made in the USA.

Marilyn

I've used fiestaware for our everyday dishes for 14 years.

Yes, they do scratch and the lighter colors show gray marks from silverware after many years of use.

We broke very, very few items when we had houses with wood floors. The last two years we've had a house with tile brick over concrete subfloor--and we've busted a LOT of dishes. I don't think we broke any where near that amount in the previous 12 years. But what I love about fiesta is that I can just order more! The colors slowly change over the years, but I've enjoyed that change.

We have about 24 or so place settings, but my favorite item by far is the luncheon plate. This is the plate that we use 2-3 times a day. It's bigger than the salad plate and smaller than the dinner plate. It is just such a wonderful, perfect size. I very rarely use our dinner plates anymore.

Honestly, if someone wants to get fiestaware, I would tell them to start with only the luncheon plates. Who uses the tea cups? Ring mugs? no. I hate the handle on their ring mugs--so uncomfortable to hold. The place setting bowl? Well, they are nice for soup and cereal, but I will say that when you have to stack a lot (like our big family) they get a little awkward. OK, I do like the small fruit bowl a lot, though. And we use the gusto bowls and serving bowls every day.

Call me crazy, but I get a lot of happiness factor from my cheerful, colorful fiestaware.

Love our Fiestaware. We have mostly white (8 white place settings) and some colored plates and bowls.

Macy's has sales on Fiestaware from time to time and offers sets of 4 place-settings. These 4-packs of settings are the best deal I've found for Fiestaware. They go on sale several times a year. I've seen single place settings on sale on the Macy's website for around $22. That's a great price.

:iagree: I bought my full place settings at Macy's. I bought the individual colored plates and bowls from Amazon, really good prices and they were Prime eligible.

I LOVE the luncheon plates.

Yeah, after using lightweight Corelle for sooo maaaany years, the heaviness of Fiesta is a bit of a concern. Will I like heavy dishes? I don't know! I don't have cupboard space for two different sets of dishes....so it's either Fiesta (or whatever I decide on) or Corelle. I just don't have room for both.

*I'M* tempted on the white set you linked to! Wonder if it's as heavy as the Fiestaware. Wondering where Mikasa is made...

I don't mind the Corelle, but it's just... not as pretty as the Fiesta. When the kids set the table, they use the Corelle. when *I* set the table, it's the Fiestaware.

I will admit, though, that the rainbow of colors I own has caused some mental "anguish." Kids arguing over who gets the much-favored orange plate. My not liking the darker plate (I always try to give myself the yellow plate....:D). Wanting to set the table for guests with a matching place setting for everyone, then remembering that I broke the orange bowl, or the green luncheon plate... (they DO hold up well, but me flat-out dropping it on a very hard tile floor... well... it's just not a fair contest)...

I've many times wished I'd just settled on a color and been done with it. Which is why the white set is calling my name at this moment.

FWIW, we use the brown Corelle coffee mugs that came with those sets instead of the Fiestaware coffee mugs. Everyone here liked to *look* at the F.W. mugs, but they didn't like drinking from them.

Here's an all-white Mikasa stoneware set...

http://www.amazon.com/Mikasa-Countryside-45-Piece-Dinnerware-Service/dp/B000I5OTYK/ref=pd_luc_sbs_02_03_t_lh

*I'M* tempted on the white set you linked to! Wonder if it's as heavy as the Fiestaware.

No, it's china rather than stonewear, so it's not particularly heavy. Heavier than Corelle, but nothing like the feel of stonewear. It's very sturdy, though, and far, far more chip resistant than any stonewear I've ever had.

Wondering where Mikasa is made...

Sorry, no idea :)

*snip*

Here's an all-white Mikasa stoneware set...

http://www.amazon.com/Mikasa-Countryside-45-Piece-Dinnerware-Service/dp/B000I5OTYK/ref=pd_luc_sbs_02_03_t_lh

The French Countryside is the same pattern as the Antique White, but is stonewear instead of china. I read the reviews of both exhaustively before I bought and I left with the impression that the French Countryside is going to chip more easily (as most stonewear does in my experience) which took it out of the running for me. I was SO sick of trying to set the table for guests and having to pick and choose the not-so-chipped plates for the company. Plus, once it chips, it tends to lose its microwave resistance. The china is lighter weight but actually sturdier. It won't stand up to the tile floor either, though ;).

Good luck!

I love my Fiesta! I used to have Mikasa Italian Countryside (http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=19971&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results) I have known others who had similar Mikasa dishes that had some of the same problems with it as well. We had lots of chips, and cracks that split through. It was nice having white dishes, but after 10 years I was bored.

Macy's often has buy one get one sales on Fiesta serving pieces, or 50% off. I would recommend the 5 piece set rather than the four piece set. http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=248364&CategoryID=28954#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D92 I like the little plate that comes with that set. It is a nice snack plate for the kids. As another poster mentioned, the luncheon plate is awesome. It's the perfect lunch plate. I love to entertain, so I love a lot of the other pieces. If you buy a bulk of your pieces online, you can qualify for free shipping. The 5 piece set comes with a big cereal bowl that's great for my hubs. I love the small bowl, however, for me and my kids. http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=85443&trackingCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results&cmexplore=&PseudoMasterProdID=16497&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results Kohl's also has great deals on Fiesta at times.

I have 12 sets (4 each of Peacock, Turquoise, and Ivory). I get SO many compliments on them, much more than my practical white. I think they're so cheery, and vintage-y cute :)

I use this as a salad bowl when I have company over. The shaker I use for powdered sugar for pancakes and other things:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=255155&trackingCat=28954&cmexplore=&PseudoMasterProdID=67465&PseudoCat=28954

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=72827&trackingCat=28954&cmexplore=&PseudoMasterProdID=67465&PseudoCat=28954

This is the perfect size salad bowl for my family:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=2304&trackingCat=28954&cmexplore=&PseudoMasterProdID=67465&PseudoCat=28954

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=255154&trackingCat=28954&cmexplore=&PseudoMasterProdID=67465&PseudoCat=28954

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=2280&trackingCat=28954&cmexplore=&PseudoMasterProdID=67465&PseudoCat=28954

I use these for various things. When a friend comes over, I might use them for nuts, candy, or a butter bowl for the garlic butter I make:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=375928&trackingCat=28954&cmexplore=&PseudoMasterProdID=67465&PseudoCat=28954

We use these ALL the time for a handful of grapes, bowl or crackers or snacks for the kids:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=85398&CategoryID=28954&LinkType=#fn=sp%3D3%26spc%3D92

My favorite bowl for cereal if you want a reasonable portion:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=85443&CategoryID=28954&LinkType=#fn=sp%3D3%26spc%3D92

I use these as fruit bowls on trays to set on the coffee table for guests rather than as chili bowls. I only have 2:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=72307&trackingCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results&cmexplore=&PseudoMasterProdID=579767&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

I would still love to have the pitcher, the 13 X 9 and the square baking dish.

Whoa, did I just overwhelm you? :o

Oh, and I kind of love the little tea cups that come in the 5 piece place setting as far as coffee mugs. I don't like huge cups because my coffee gets cold too quickly in them. You kind of have to cup them in your hands because they're small, but I think they're really cute:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=248364&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

I didn't read all the comments, so this may have been said, but in my experience only certain colors of the Fiestaware get really scratched. I have orange, yellow, red and a sort of burgandy that are all fine and have really taken a beating. My mother has a wider number of colors than us though and some of her pink, one of the shades of pale green and all of her white ones are scratched.

Wow! Love all the replies!

OK, as of yesterday I decided on the Fiestaware! I really liked the simplistic and elegant look of the Mikasa...but I LOVE the colors of Fiesta. I need color after years and years of boring, mostly white, Corelle.

I went to Macy's yesterday (all of their Fiesta is 30% off, 40% off with Macy's charge, and an extra 15% off if you open a Macy's account). I decided that I just don't like the bowls and ring mugs (and/or tiny tea cups) in the sets....so even though the sets save money, I am going to buy everything open stock I guess. Arg. Expensive. But I don't have cupboard space for items we will just not use.

I purchased 8 luncheon plates (Macy's didn't have the dinner plates in stock) 4 in Cobalt and 4 in Sunflower. I also ordered, off Amazon, a set of 4 dinner plates in Sunflower. Amazon has several of the dinner plates in 4 set packs with free shipping (and no tax!)

My plan is to start with four each of Sunflower, Cobalt, Peacock, and Paprika in dinner plates, luncheon, salad, and java mugs, with 3 in each color of the gusto bowls (I think). My family of men like large bowls. They prefer the large high brimmed Corelle bowls, so I don't think they would like the regular cereal bowls that come in the Fiesta sets. I also don't think we need 16 bowls. We probably won't need 16 mugs either. It's going to take months to collect everything. I will only be able to purchase a little here and a little there each paycheck. I totally maxed out my allowance yesterday. ;)

So, what is your favorite Fiesta bowl for things like soup and cereal? Does anyone have the Java mugs? I have yet to see them in person (the mugs).

I have had Fiesta for years. I actually boxed them up for a while because I got tired of all the colors. With the colors I have you can't really use them well to set a table in a theme other than spring or summer. I have a lot of the pastel colors like light pink, light yellow, light blue and light green, and food doesn't really look good on them. You'll be happier with the darker colors! A kitchen in my old house had a very 40s feel to it and the Fiesta was perfect for it.

In all the years I have had them I have NO chips. NONE. It's quite amazing really. I have broken a few, because dish vs granite counter you know who wins. And I too HATE the ring mugs. You can't pick them up with hot coffee or tea without burning the finger that presses against the mug, and the way the lip is shaped they spill easily. Those are long since boxed up.

Now I'm looking at the white Mikasa. I love the idea of being able to use my regular dishes for lots of occasions. I'm tired of the multi colors of the Fiesta for the same reason you are tired of the white - just want a change.

Congrats on your new dishes! Fun stuff!

OK quick question...

My kitchen is mostly cream with cobalt accents (kitchen aid mixer, utensil holder, canisters, etc. in cobalt) with yellow mixed in and some greens, tans, and burgundy. I REALLY wish the cinnabar and evergreen colors were still available because either would have matched my kitchen perfectly.

So, I definitely want the cobalt and sunflower colors. I love the color of the peacock, and it looks nice with both the cobalt and the yellow. The cobalt is OK, I guess, with the paprika, but I'm wondering if it would be better to go with the paprika and the shamrock instead of the peacock (still wish they had the evergreen though. arg). Love the peacock color though, don't like the shamrock so much. I was also considering the Scarlet instead of the paprika. The Scarlet seems closer to Burgundy than the paprika. Ugh. :confused:

Can you tell that I'm a tad paralyzed in what other two colors I want?

Any long time Fiesta users want to steer me in a good direction.

Also, how often do they bring out new colors???

OK quick question...

ok, the Scarlet color is Red. Red-red. I don't have the paprika, but I think it's more of an orangey-red?

The only "negative" I'd suggest as far as having the Shamrock with the Scarlet/Paprika is that you run the risk of your table looking a bit Christmas-y if you happen to grab mostly red-and-green plates.

Peacock is probably my favorite color of them all. :D

My comment is in regards to those of you with older dishes that are showing "gray" marks due to silverware use.

Try getting some liquid Bar Keeper's friend and wash your dishes. I am thinking you will be surprised at how many of those scratch/gray marks will come off. I also would try a Mr. clean sponge on those pesky marks.

I use both on my Corelle dishes and my white sinks. Fabulous.

ok, the Scarlet color is Red. Red-red. I don't have the paprika, but I think it's more of an orangey-red?

The only "negative" I'd suggest as far as having the Shamrock with the Scarlet/Paprika is that you run the risk of your table looking a bit Christmas-y if you happen to grab mostly red-and-green plates.

Peacock is probably my favorite color of them all. :D

You're right...and I really don't like the Shamrock that much. I think I will stick to the Peacock...love that color, it makes me smile.

Not sure what the 4th color should be. :tongue_smilie: Perhaps I should just buy the three (that would be a place setting for 12 guests) and see if a 4th color is ever needed. Or wait for a new color to come out. ;) I originally was going to go with the chocolate, but dh said he didn't care for it. Hmph. I may buy it anyway. I think it would go with all of the colors better than the paprika. I Personally LOVE the lemongrass, but I live with a house of men and the peacock and sunflower are already pushing it. Haha

Cobalt

Sunflower

Peacock

&

????? (what do YOU think)

I *LOVE* my Fiestaware. I love having all the different colors. The lemongrass green (bright lime green) is my favorite color by far.

DO NOT pay $30 per place setting!!! If you have a Kohl's credit card, wait for a good sale, and wait for the 30% off coupon. Also, watch Macy's good sales and wait for coupons. I can't remember if it was Macy's or Kohls, but at one of the places I paid $18 per place setting!!!

At Kohl's, I don't like the tiny mugs, but my kids do use them. I will use them periodically, but NOT for coffee or tea. I love the mugs that came with the Macy's set. They're a very pretty shape.

I noticed a chip out of one of my lemongrass bowls. It's a very tiny chip, but I was SO disappointed! I remember dropping one of them so I probably did it. They are VERY sturdy and have held up for two teen boys. I highly recommend them!!!

I just got new kitchen cabinets. All the Fiestaware fits into one cabinet, and it looks SO pretty when I have the doors open! *LOVE* it!

The scratches are those greyish marks from the silverware. I've never owned plates that DIDN'T have them.

OK quick question...

My kitchen is mostly cream with cobalt accents (kitchen aid mixer, utensil holder, canisters, etc. in cobalt) with yellow mixed in and some greens, tans, and burgundy. I REALLY wish the cinnabar and evergreen colors were still available because either would have matched my kitchen perfectly.

So, I definitely want the cobalt and sunflower colors. I love the color of the peacock, and it looks nice with both the cobalt and the yellow. The cobalt is OK, I guess, with the paprika, but I'm wondering if it would be better to go with the paprika and the shamrock instead of the peacock (still wish they had the evergreen though. arg). Love the peacock color though, don't like the shamrock so much. I was also considering the Scarlet instead of the paprika. The Scarlet seems closer to Burgundy than the paprika. Ugh. :confused:

if money isn't a concern, you can do a google search for discontinued Fiestaware colors. You can get most colors still, but you're going to pay more per place setting.

New colors come out pretty often IMO....

....sounds like a great choice! I'm boring....white dishes...one of these days I'll break free and 'go for it'!

I traded in my white dishes for fiestaware. I have 12 place settings, e of each color: red, peacock, lime, and orange. VERY bright and cheery! I'm very happy with it. We have broke 2 pieces in the past year; Both dropped from counter height onto a wooden floor. Other daily wear and tear does has not been a problem though.

OK quick question...

I vote to wait for new colors if you have enough dishes for day-to-day use. My aunt was a lifelong collector and kept buying pieces as new colors came out. Her daughter had no trouble selling it at the estate sale. They seem to really hold value, but you do want to pace yourself because they take up a lot of space.

As an outside observer who doesn't own fiesta ware; these things are like crack and nobody stops with the initial set :)

these things are like crack and nobody stops with the initial set :)

:lol::lol:

I can see that already! I am obsessed. Just yesterday I found that on the megachina (or whatever it is called) website, I can still get cinnabar peices...but expensively. I am actually debating purchasing a bowl or something just so I can see if I really like the color or not....and thought that if I didn't like the color, my dog could use a new food bowl. :lol: And I'm so excited about my four Sunflower dinner plates arriving from Amazon tomorrow that I rearranged my cupboards and keep opening them to look at my cobalt and sunflower luncheon plates stacked all prettily inside. :tongue_smilie::D

Edited by Melissa in CA

• 1 year later...

We use Fiesta-ware for our everyday dishes, but I have a set of correll too. We love the different color place settings of the Fiesta dishes. I've had them for a while and haven't noticed any scratches. I bought the set on a super Black-Friday sale on-line for $19 per place setting and will plan to purchase more at the next sale.

The only negative I've noticed is that the dinner plates are big and take up more room in my cupboards dishwasher than the correl.

I had Pfaltzgraff since my wedding. (9 yrs) My sister had had Corelle. She just decided to get rid of all the Corelle for Fiestaware. And gave it to me. Free dishes for alL!

Anyway, her and my niece are having lots of fun choosing colors. And I just love the lighter Corelle and how I can fit so many more dishes into my cabinets!