Menu

9/11 Anniversary arrests -- have you seen this?

I was just reading this on my friend's facebook page, I went to school with her brother. Holy cow! I just can't believe this. It's crazy. Here is a link to her blog.

http://shebshi.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/some-real-shock-and-awe-racially-profiled-and-cuffed-in-detroit/

What has become of this country? I get vigilance but this has crossed the line.

She seems to have truly been detained and strip searched based on nothing other than her physical appearance and her bad luck at sitting next to two similarly 'dangerous' looking men on 9/11/11.

I'm amazed at her response. I would not be so calm and understanding. This is America. She was an American traveling legally with no history of involvement with terrorists who did nothing other than sit in her seat on an airplane. And they handcuffed her, detained her, stripped her and searched her!

I'll stop now. But I find this sickening.

Absolutely shameful!!! Shouldn't the manifest been thoroughly researched to see if the three people had any ties together, before being put through this heinous experience.

Is our country really still so backward that we see three non-Caucasians together and jump to this conclusion? :glare: :glare:

Not to make light of it, but does anyone else now feel concerned about taking "too long" in an airplane toilet? I mean never mind that you MIGHT have eaten something that didn't agree with you, or that you're wedged in so tightly you might physically be stuck if you're more then 3-inches wide.

I also wonder if it would have brought any alarm to anyone had those three been sitting in different rows. As in.. one indian man in say row A one in row D and she in row J. Spread out would it have looked different? And why if they were concerned about the time the men spent in the bathroom did they also arrest her?

Bah!

Not to make light of it, but does anyone else now feel concerned about taking "too long" in an airplane toilet? I mean never mind that you MIGHT have eaten something that didn't agree with you, or that you're wedged in so tightly you might physically be stuck if you're more then 3-inches wide.

I also wonder if it would have brought any alarm to anyone had those three been sitting in different rows. As in.. one indian man in say row A one in row D and she in row J. Spread out would it have looked different? And why if they were concerned about the time the men spent in the bathroom did they also arrest her?

Bah!

We just watched the Twilight Zone movie yesterday. One of the episodes has a man taking too long in the bathroom. It was the one with the gremlin on the plane wing. In fact the first episode had the character getting a taste of his own racist commentary. Interesting, I plan on discussing this whole situation with ds today.

I agree about reading her blog spot. She is factual, well spoken, and leaves some of the utter emotion she must feel out of the report. The comments were still up last night, I only read a few.

We are in a debt crisis and well...I'll leave that out. I know we, as consumers, are supposed to report suspicious behavior. However, I'd be interested what was done after the initial report. Was it given by a fellow passenger (I think that is on her blog, too early can't remember)? Did the flight attendant agree with the assessment? What is the criteria for jets to be scrambled? How much of a credible threat is needed? Or is it simply the nervous conclusions of a bigoted flyer that gets Americans strip searched at will?

I am shocked and saddened by this.

What upsets me is that this could be any of us. She doesn't have an accent, she has never had one, she is an American. Why now because of what a few people did does one's skin color matter? It seems in many ways we are taking steps backwards in our freedoms, well at least for those who have the wrong skin color or the wrong type of name. I am horrified. I try so hard to be color-blind, I am raising my children that way too but it seems like so many are apathetic to stories like this because it doesn't directly affect them.

Too many are willing to give up their rights and freedoms in the name of safety, we are going down the wrong path. If this could happen to a typical American women this could happen to any of us.

I think it is unfortunate it happened to her. But while it was unpleasant, nothing unlawful happened. Did it happen to her because of the way she looked- partly plus unfortunately she was sitting next to two who acted suspiciously.

For a guy who was definitely acting wrong, may be a terrorist, and if he shaved, wouldn't attract attention see the below. That is why we should go by behavior and not by looks.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/29174443/detail.html

They told her "there had been 50 other similar incidents across the country that day." :confused: What the heck! Why are we not hearing about these situations? Too much paranoia out there. What are your rights? Can you refuse the search? Can you call an attorney? :001_huh:

You would think that you could. Please read her blog, read the whole story, she didn't even know they were coming for her until they stormed the plane and took her away. I can't imagine what her poor husband thought, one minute she is tweeting away and the next nothing. I am not usually up in arms about things but I worry about how our rights are slowly being eroded away and too many Americans just don't care.

I think it is unfortunate it happened to her. But while it was unpleasant, nothing unlawful happened. Did it happen to her because of the way she looked- partly plus unfortunately she was sitting next to two who acted suspiciously.

For a guy who was definitely acting wrong, may be a terrorist, and if he shaved, wouldn't attract attention see the below. That is why we should go by behavior and not by looks.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/29174443/detail.html

Great, so because of the color of one's skin it's okay for them to be dragged off a plane, have a cavity search done and not be allowed a phone call or be told what is going on for hours. Sure that's ok, all because of her skin, that just doesn't seem very American to me, I certainly would feel like my rights were violated. Oh and last time I checked as far as the men sitting next to her, no Indian men hijacked planes on 9-11.

As I showed with my second paragraph, I think judging by looks like ethnicity only is not only rude but also stupid.

There weren't any pictures of the men so I don't know what they looked like. I think she was unfortunately singled out because the two guys left for bathroom at the same time, one spent a long time in there, and they all looked like they could be from Muslim countries. I wasn't on that plane and I didn't report anything. I have never reported anything on a plane and while I would report suspicious behavior, nothing in her report strikes me as suspicious. I have no idea if there was anything else that led someone to report her or just her ethnicity.

I have also lived in a lot of places with numerous people from Muslim countries. So far, in my almost 5 decades of life, I haven't run into anyone I thought was a terrorist. So it isn't me who is automatically equating Muslim with terrorist. IF that is what happened, I think it is unfortunate and as I said, a waste of time and resources. I think there was more to it than that but since we don't have the story of the authorities, we don't have full information one way or the other. All we know is that they apologized and let her go. BUt we have no idea if there was an alert for two men and a women. IF there was a special alert for this flight, etc, etc.

I'm surprised that there isn't more outrage about this.

This was an American woman in America.

:confused:

I'm surprised that this wasn't blasted all over the news. I read online news several times a day, and this is the first I've heard of it. And if several more of these incidences happened, you'd think somebody would be headlining it.

Doesn't a person have to actually be ARRESTED for something before they can be strip searched? And don't you need 'reasonable cause' or something to arrest someone? (arrest warrants?) Then there's the whole 'reading your rights' and informing you that you have the right to an attorney, blah blah blah….

Absolutely shameful!!! Shouldn't the manifest been thoroughly researched to see if the three people had any ties together, before being put through this heinous experience.

Is our country really still so backward that we see three non-Caucasians together and jump to this conclusion? :glare: :glare:

Honestly I don't think there is time in a situation such as this. A true search for ties would have taken hours.

Another thing that is bothering me, the flight had landed, she had already gone through security. What was the threat at that point? This doesn't make me feel safer, it makes me feel just the opposite.

The threat was obviously no longer large populated areas but the hundred or so passengers on the plane.

I'm not happy that innocent people were detained in such a way. But the authorities are in a damed if they do damed if they don't position. They must take all possible threats seriously. The outrage would be different if this group of strangers actually weren't strangers and succeeded in blowing up the plane either in the air or on the ground. If their "suspicious behavior" was brushed under the rug.

No, I do not agree with racial profiling. I'm sorry this lady was put through this ordeal. Our authorities have a lot to learn about how to look for suspicious activity. They need training from the person at the top to the guy driving the baggage truck. That said, we only have her side of the story. There were not any comments from the other passengers, the air crew or the two gentlemen seated with this lady.

The title of this thread is wrong.

No one was arrested.

You're right she was just stripped search and held in a cell for six hours without being able to call anyone or even know what she was charged with. No harm done. Oh and for what, the color of her skin. This isn't the America I am proud of.

I am sure you would be fine with this happening to you or your family.

Sorry I shouldn't comment anymore, I am just frustrated because I am scared of what is happening to this country that I love so much.

Doesn't a person have to actually be ARRESTED for something before they can be strip searched? And don't you need 'reasonable cause' or something to arrest someone? (arrest warrants?) Then there's the whole 'reading your rights' and informing you that you have the right to an attorney, blah blah blahĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.

Miranda is only needed when one is questioned. If they don't ask anything there is no reason to read Miranda. It is not like you see on TV.

One can be held for questioning without actually being arrested.

Yes, normally the authorities need probably cause to arrest a person. No, an arrest warrant is not issued for every arrest. When one is stopped for a traffic violation one is arrested, written a summons to court (or given a warning) and released into one's own custody (most of the time).

Again, it isn't like one sees on TV. And throw in, what is it?... the Patriot Act? Things get even muddier.

Doesn't a person have to actually be ARRESTED for something before they can be strip searched? And don't you need 'reasonable cause' or something to arrest someone? (arrest warrants?) Then there's the whole 'reading your rights' and informing you that you have the right to an attorney, blah blah blahĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.

Miranda is only needed when one is questioned. If they don't ask anything there is no reason to read Miranda. It is not like you see on TV.

One can be held for questioning without actually being arrested.

Yes, normally the authorities need probably cause to arrest a person. No, an arrest warrant is not issued for every arrest. When one is stopped for a traffic violation one is arrested, written a summons to court (or given a warning) and released into one's own custody (most of the time).

Again, it isn't like one sees on TV. And throw in, what is it?... the Patriot Act? Things get even muddier.

Hey nowĂ¢â‚¬Â¦you really think I get all my criminal justice system knowledge from tv shows?

Okay you're right. :laugh:

I'm a huge fan of SVU, CSI, NCIS, Criminal MindsĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.

I didn't know you were considered 'arrested' when you get stopped for a ticket.. I wonder if it's the same here. I've never been stopped.. photo radar, on the other hand.. stupid little cameras grrrrr. :p

Hey nowĂ¢â‚¬Â¦you really think I get all my criminal justice system knowledge from tv shows?

I didn't know you were considered 'arrested' when you get stopped for a ticket.. I wonder if it's the same here. I've never been stopped.. photo radar, on the other hand.. stupid little cameras grrrrr. :p

Yeah, I think photo radar is cheating. They ought to get out there the old fashioned way and patrol.

I understand the feelings and frustration with this incident. However, if they had really been terrorists and you would've heard the same information, but there had been a bomb found, or knives, etc...then I think we'd all be applauding the quick thinking of those on the flight who did get involved. Things are just not like they were, and sadly, mistakes are going to be made. I'd much rather them be made without anyone being killed.

Sorry, I know mine is not going to be a popular comment and I do not want to argue with anyone. I do feel extremely bad for those that were detained, just as I feel extremely bad for those stressed out on the flight thinking that something disasterous is going to happen.

Alison

Funny! And me too :001_smile:

I understand the feelings and frustration with this incident. However, if they had really been terrorists and you would've heard the same information, but there had been a bomb found, or knives, etc...then I think we'd all be applauding the quick thinking of those on the flight who did get involved. Things are just not like they were, and sadly, mistakes are going to be made. I'd much rather them be made without anyone being killed.

Sorry, I know mine is not going to be a popular comment and I do not want to argue with anyone. I do feel extremely bad for those that were detained, just as I feel extremely bad for those stressed out on the flight thinking that something disasterous is going to happen.

Alison

I would like to know more information on this incident. What was the evidence that compelled them to detain HER. If the two men sitting beside her were acting suspicious and only the color of her skin and her proximity to them caused her to be lumped in with them, I find that alarming.

I also find it interesting that the three of them were put into one car, all together. I have no experience in criminal behavior, but wouldn't you want to separate them?

Have there been any other reports from people on the plane? Comment from the authorities?

I would like to know more information on this incident. What was the evidence that compelled them to detain HER. If the two men sitting beside her were acting suspicious and only the color of her skin and her proximity to them caused her to be lumped in with them, I find that alarming.

I also find it interesting that the three of them were put into one car, all together. I have no experience in criminal behavior, but wouldn't you want to separate them?

Have there been any other reports from people on the plane? Comment from the authorities?

Hm, here's another story:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/14/ap/business/main20106015.shtml

You're right she was just stripped search and held in a cell for six hours without being able to call anyone or even know what she was charged with. No harm done. Oh and for what, the color of her skin. This isn't the America I am proud of.

I am sure you would be fine with this happening to you or your family.

Sorry I shouldn't comment anymore, I am just frustrated because I am scared of what is happening to this country that I love so much.

:lol:

"Hey, kids!"

"Yeah, mom?"

"It's strip search night!"

Kid 1: "YAY! I'm the cop this week because I was the racially profiled suspect last time!"

Kid 2: "Darn! Why can't DAD be the racially profiled suspect?"

Me: "Now, now, kids. You know Dad won't play unless he is the FBI agent in charge."

I'm surprised that there isn't more outrage about this.

This was an American woman in America.

:confused:

It reminds me of the incarceration of Japanese Americans here in America during WW2. Outrage is -and has always been- easily supressed by fear.

Not to make light of it, but does anyone else now feel concerned about taking "too long" in an airplane toilet?

In my (in this case, extensive) experience, flight crews tend to be proactive in monitoring the lavs (especially if there is a line or concern expressed by other passengers). There would be knocking, and inquiring "Are you okay?" and the expectation of a response, be it grunt or verbal. No response would be a concern, and not just on the security front. Taking a long time in the lav in and of itself isn't a concern, especially if communication remains open.

Airliners have hundreds of threats made against aircraft daily, and did even before 9/11. Obviously, the great majority aren't valid. For all we know, a threat was made against this aircraft then routinely dismissed after internal review. When suspicious activity on the plane initiated contact between the flight crew and the airline's System Ops Center, perhaps the threat case was re-opened and they followed procedures for time-sensitive threats (immediate versus a flight departing in two hours or two days). Who knows. So much goes on behind the scenes that we don't know about.

I don't say this to justify anyone's actions or to diminish anyone's experiences. I'm just trying to understand every side of the issue before jumping to conclusions about any of the involved parties (government, woman, men).

I was flying on 9/11 this year and it was eerie. Passengers were very well-behaved and hyper aware of our surroundings. I can a vocal passenger whose Spidey Sense went off, sharing his concerns with others in his seating area and/or the flight crew, and then paranoia taking over from there. Flight crew (over?)reacts, but at 35000 feet maybe that's the safer gamble. That gamble certainly paid off on the flight carrying Richard Reid. This time it didn't; such is the nature of the beast.

Another thing that is bothering me, the flight had landed, she had already gone through security. What was the threat at that point? This doesn't make me feel safer, it makes me feel just the opposite.

The threat might not have been imminent. She could have been doing recon, she could have been a sleeper, she could have been one part of a team bringing items separately onto the aircraft (it's not hard for even the general public to research tail numbers on planes to figure out how to get resources onto one single plane - resources that might not raise eyes separately, but would if caught on a single person going through security). In any scenario it's still imperative to retain her immediately.

But you're right to feel less safe with the current security procedures. Research the methods now in use, and you'll see much documentation reporting gaping holes in security. It's a facade, though I'll say the illusion of safety makes for overall calmer passengers and -selfishly- that greatly enhances my own flying experiences!

How true that is!

Perhaps, just to be on the safe side, we should have CPS caseworkers sent out to inspect the homes and families of all homeschoolers. You might be frustrated by this, and perhaps mistakes would be made, but think how we'd all be applauding if some of them turned out to be abusing or neglecting their kids. Think of that little girl who was beaten to death in Washington state. I think homeschoolers have to expect to be profiled.

...Really, do you not see how unfair and nonsensical it is to come back to that woman saying that, well, if she had been a terrorist, everyone would be happy about what happened to her, so it's all okay? You can't justify the shameful treatment of an innocent person by saying that it would be okay to do to a guilty person.

Besides picking people by the way they look (really really bothers me)

I am bothered that going to the bathroom at the same time is suspicious. When I'm on a plane I often get up at the same time as my seat mate. It saves climbing over them later. They give us so much room that climbing over is not easy.

I do not believe there "over fifty incidents" that day.

Besides picking people by the way they look (really really bothers me)

I am bothered that going to the bathroom at the same time is suspicious. When I'm on a plane I often get up at the same time as my seat mate. It saves climbing over them later. They give us so much room that climbing over is not easy.

I do not believe there "over fifty incidents" that day.

When they say "incidents" it means innocent people detained for no reason. And if 3 or 4 actually MADE the news, I can easily see 47 that didnt.

How true that is!

Perhaps, just to be on the safe side, we should have CPS caseworkers sent out to inspect the homes and families of all homeschoolers. You might be frustrated by this, and perhaps mistakes would be made, but think how we'd all be applauding if some of them turned out to be abusing or neglecting their kids. Think of that little girl who was beaten to death in Washington state. I think homeschoolers have to expect to be profiled.

...Really, do you not see how unfair and nonsensical it is to come back to that woman saying that, well, if she had been a terrorist, everyone would be happy about what happened to her, so it's all okay? You can't justify the shameful treatment of an innocent person by saying that it would be okay to do to a guilty person.

I agree wholeheartedly! I am not certain that our world is a better place when we lose objectivity, compassion, and liberty in the name of fear. I, for one, am willing to sacrifice a little in the statistical non-likelihood of being hijacked in favor of NOT becoming a police state in which the citizens operate mostly from fear. If this is what America is reduced to, the unlawful incarceration, strip searching, and intimidation of people without due process, then the terrorists have won! We've laid down the liberty they despise and we've done it willingly.

Faith