Menu

How do you dress in your 40's?

Sometimes I feel like I dress older than what I am, but yet I don't want to look like a teenager.

Do you think dressing the classic look is ok in the 40's?

I want to be able to not be updating all the time, but buy things to last.

Um, usually jeans or skirts and v-neck t-shirts. My favorite are from Old Navy and Gap.

I find a neutral (black, charcoal, brown) t-shirt can be worn with holey jeans and harness boots, toile skirts from Talbot's or anything in between. Different jewelry, scarves and blazers change the feel of them.

It's been my dress code for pretty much 20 years. Just the accessories change... sloooooooooowly, in my world.

I don't spend too much energy on my dress. I am 49 and I care more and more about comfort, but I go for:

1) Neat

2) Not frumpy or sloppy

3) Clean and wash-and-wear fabrics (almost never choose white :)

4) Ever so slightly above "casual"

5) Never polyester (does anyone wear polyester anymore?)

6) Classic neutral colors in the pants/skirts/shorts: navy, black, tan, creme

7) Modest - my cle*vage is for my husband, not the grocery store crowd

8) Weather adaptable: I have 5-6 cardigan sweaters, usually take one along in the fall/spring/summer

9) Must be comfortable

Hope that helps.

Lisa mom to 5

I have skirts (knee-length or longer, just personal preference) and tops - mostly knit, but some button ups. I have capri's and tops. I have some nice summer sweaters. I have a few summer dresses.

For fall and winter I've jeans and pants. Most of my fall/winter wardrobe comes from Christopher and Bank. I'll update it this year with some pieces from both there and Macy's. I swear Macy's on sale is comparable to Wal-mart and one gets better quality.

I've had most of my clothes for at least 2 years and they are still in excellent shape.

It is rare for me to wear a tee shirt.

Sometimes I feel like I dress older than what I am, but yet I don't want to look like a teenager.

For what occasion? Classic look for going out?

I find I'm gravitating toward black basics as I get older. I have several pairs of black shoes, several black or black background skirts (different styles), a black cardigan and a black suit-style jacket. With these I wear bright or coordinating tops. Topping it with the cardigan or jacket means I'm ready for work (adjunct teaching) or church.

I'm working on having a more flattering around-the-house wardrobe. I've decided my T-shirts are going to be for working out. :)

Well, at the risk of being seen as someone who doesn't care about her appearance, I wear jeans, sperry shoes (like sneakers) or keds, and solid color men's tshirts that are not form fitting and not tucked in. I dress practical and comfortable. I have no occasion to dress beyond this style.

Before my weight gain, I wore jeans, sneakers, and ladies tshirts.

I honestly don't know what 'classic' is supposed to be. I keep getting a picture of June Cleaver in my mind. :tongue_smilie:

Well, I'm in my 50's and can tell you it doesn't get easier. I don't want to look outdated, but as you said I don't want to look like a teenager. Or worse, a cougar.

For everyday it's jeans, long-ish shorts, or capri pants with a v-neck or scoop neck fitted tee. I try to stay with classic colors, and when I buy prints I make sure they aren't too faddish.

Dressy clothes are nice slacks with a blouse, two piece suit or knee-length dress. Admittedly I don't have many occasions to dress up.

I have a few summer dresses.

I swear Macy's on sale is comparable to Wal-mart and one gets better quality.

Those are some cute dresses. And I should take a closer look at Macy's. Last time I shopped there was when I went looking for a mother-of-the-groom dress for my stepson's wedding. Of course I couldn't stick with just the sale rack and had to find something specific, so the prices were $$$$. I might go back and check out some of their sale items.

I'm working on having a more flattering around-the-house wardrobe. I've decided my T-shirts are going to be for working out. :)

My around-the-house wardrobe is a big tee shirt and shorts. I wish I could find something just as comfortable that looks better.

I'm 44yo. I have dresses and skirts from Athleta.com which I wear constantly. They are so comfortable and I get a lot of compliments on them.

The first thing I did when I found out I was going to be a grandmother a year and a half ago was go out and buy the book How Not to Look Old. Buying a book like that was totally out of character for me, but was my solution to my own personal mini crisis. The author explains not only how not to look old, but how not to look like you're trying to be a teenager. Some of her suggestions were a bit over the top, but it was still helpful in many, many ways. Your library probably has it.

Um, usually jeans or skirts and v-neck t-shirts. My favorite are from Old Navy and Gap.

I find a neutral (black, charcoal, brown) t-shirt can be worn with holey jeans and harness boots, toile skirts from Talbot's or anything in between. Different jewelry, scarves and blazers change the feel of them.

It's been my dress code for pretty much 20 years. Just the accessories change... sloooooooooowly, in my world.

This is almost exactly the same thing I do--minus blazers. I don't do blazers....but maybe I should!

40 in a month count? :D

I have skirts (knee-length or longer, just personal preference) and tops - mostly knit, but some button ups. I have capri's and tops. I have some nice summer sweaters. I have a few summer dresses.

For fall and winter I've jeans and pants. Most of my fall/winter wardrobe comes from Christopher and Bank. I'll update it this year with some pieces from both there and Macy's. I swear Macy's on sale is comparable to Wal-mart and one gets better quality.

I've had most of my clothes for at least 2 years and they are still in excellent shape.

It is rare for me to wear a tee shirt.

How do I not wear a t-shirt? Button downs look boxy on me and I feel like I have no shape. What type of shirts do you wear?

What colors look good ON YOU? Not what's on the racks, but on you? What is your best feature? The ladies in my family have great legs (and flatt butts:glare:), so capris and skirts are a must for us (but as of this year, I will not wear cargo capris again, they make me look like a boy).

I do jeans - flattering ones with flared legs - and plain ladies t-shirts. The t-shirts I get from Ann Taylor Loft (for town) and from Target (at home). I'm not into flip-flops. I wear my Birks - sandals in summer and clogs with handknit socks in the winter. I wear a simple pair of earrings, and basic makeup (foundation, blush, eye color, eyeliner and mascara). In the winter I wear handknit sweaters over my t-shirts. Boring, but simple.

Angela, I've always loved your tagline :).

Your dress style is one I admire. My earrings are always the same studs and I think scarves are impractical (for me). But I really appreciate my friends who have an artistic flare in their dress!

Aw, thanks! It's the daily uniform of most of my social circle. Oddly, we all have very different styles, but that's the base.

I should clarify: scarves are knit. Worn when it's cold. (I'm a knitter, though, so I'm compiling quite a variety, as well as berets and slouchy hats). Other than those, sleeve length and tights are pretty much the only difference in my seasonal wardrobe (though I do pile on the wool in the house when it's cold).

And, yeah, most of my wardrobe is black. It's not fear of color (my house is like a Crayola box), it's that I spill coffee on myself pretty routinely.

How do I not wear a t-shirt? Button downs look boxy on me and I feel like I have no shape. What type of shirts do you wear?

What colors look good ON YOU? Not what's on the racks, but on you? What is your best feature? The ladies in my family have great legs (and flatt butts:glare:), so capris and skirts are a must for us (but as of this year, I will not wear cargo capris again, they make me look like a boy).

I wear a LOT of t-shirts, BUT, they are fitted and often v-neck (dh preference ;)). I've found Gap and Target fit well. With the right accessories, t's can look great!

This is almost exactly the same thing I do--minus blazers. I don't do blazers....but maybe I should!

Well, that's mostly my cold (other than freaky deep winter) outerwear. I have a few cute blazers and a jean jacket that I wear when it cools off. Unless I'm wearing a skirt... then it's usually a wrap or cardigan of some sort. There is something disconcertingly mismatched suity feeling about a skirt with a non-matching blazer. (I do not do gradations of "business attire": you either wear a suit or you do not. And men's dress shirts are, I'm sorry, white. Period. And they may not wear a tie if they have no sleeves... Yes, I may be a bit psycho about this.)

40 in a month for me too, Mouse. We'll have a party here!

I dress in khakis. Boring but it's easy for me to pull a teeshirt off and a button down shirt on and look pulled together in 23 seconds flat.

At this point, I know the colors I can rock and the styles that fit well.

I look good in blazers when the weather cools down but I also like really nice sweaters.

Well, I'm in my 50's and can tell you it doesn't get easier. I don't want to look outdated, but as you said I don't want to look like a teenager. Or worse, a cougar.

For everyday it's jeans, long-ish shorts, or capri pants with a v-neck or scoop neck fitted tee. I try to stay with classic colors, and when I buy prints I make sure they aren't too faddish.

Dressy clothes are nice slacks with a blouse, two piece suit or knee-length dress. Admittedly I don't have many occasions to dress up.

Those are some cute dresses. And I should take a closer look at Macy's. Last time I shopped there was when I went looking for a mother-of-the-groom dress for my stepson's wedding. Of course I couldn't stick with just the sale rack and had to find something specific, so the prices were $$$$. I might go back and check out some of their sale items.

The dresses I have from Chadwicks are almost as old as dd. They are classic sun dresses in "normal" colors. As long as I don't out grow them I should be able to get by in them another couple years. They may be rather young for me when I hit 50. At that point I may be able to hand them off to dd.

This summer I got 6 or 7 pairs of capris from Macys. They were on sale and I spent about $100. Once I found a style I liked I bought 2-3 pairs in different colors. They may have been a few dollars more a pair than Walmart, but I won't have to replace them for years.

I don't have the luxury of going every weekend so I have to stock up when I get down there.

40 in a month for me too, Mouse. We'll have a party here!

I dress in khakis. Boring but it's easy for me to pull a teeshirt off and a button down shirt on and look pulled together in 23 seconds flat.

At this point, I know the colors I can rock and the styles that fit well.

I look good in blazers when the weather cools down but I also like really nice sweaters.

Hmmm the khakis are a good idea.

I actually think knowing what colors look good on you cut down on shopping time. You know right off the bat what to ignore.

I'm the queen of sweaters-esp after moving here. We keep the house at 68 in the winter so sweaters are a MUST.

Hmmm, I think we need some definition on t-shirts. Not this.

I would count this as a t-shirt yes? (I like v-necks, too.)

Oh, gosh, no. Definitely NOT the first one :tongue_smilie:.

Something like this from Kohl's:

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/tops_shirts/tees/PRD~561309/SONOMA+life+++style+Tee.jsp

...paired with jeans that fit well. Jeans. *This* is where I struggle. I have a narrow waist and, um, a boo-tay. I have such a hard time finding jeans that will fit over my hips that don't gap 6 inches at my waist! Anyone have jeans they love for this sort of body type?!

Here is a blog/website that addresses that issue. They have a wide variety of tips and styles. They use (mostly) real people in their pictures, often pictures of well-dressed women they see out and about in their travels or daily life. Browsing through this would give you a lot of ideas.

Since you quoted me I wonder if you are talking to me or just want to know everyone's particular colors/styles.

Either way I'll tell you.

I can wear anything but hot pink. I prefer neutrals, greens, blues, and reds. I have a few pastels, but prefer jewel tones. I stay away from things like this. It ans similar are entirely too busy for my taste. My legs are still okay from mid thigh down. I've always thought I have ugly knees so I won't show them if it can be helped. Sadly I'm short waisted so I try to stick to torso lengthening tops. I don't tuck anything in.

Hmmm, I think we need some definition on t-shirts. Not this.

I would count this as a t-shirt yes? (I like v-necks, too.)

I think you are right. Your "not this' is what I think of as a tee-shirt. I wear the ones dh casts off to bed.

The top you have as "this is a t-shirt" is what I think of as a more feminine version of the "Not this." But it isn't quite a "nice knit top."

Here is a blog/website that addresses that issue. They have a wide variety of tips and styles. They use (mostly) real people in their pictures, often pictures of well-dressed women they see out and about in their travels or daily life. Browsing through this would give you a lot of ideas.

Nice. I like this website! Thanks for the tip.

This, this, this, this with this (but not at that price), and this, but not this.

Yes, that's a t-shirt by my definition too. I do have some of the other kind of t-shirts. They are my around-the-house ones.

Parrot, Ahh. OK.

You know, I used to shop at JC Penny a lot, and I think that's been my problem. They have no inbetween styles. They have juniors and 60+. At least not at my store.

Awesome.

Since you quoted me I wonder if you are talking to me or just want to know everyone's particular colors/styles.

Either way I'll tell you.

I can wear anything but hot pink. I prefer neutrals, greens, blues, and reds. I have a few pastels, but prefer jewel tones. I stay away from things like this. It ans similar are entirely too busy for my taste. My legs are still okay from mid thigh down. I've always thought I have ugly knees so I won't show them if it can be helped. Sadly I'm short waisted so I try to stick to torso lengthening tops. I don't tuck anything in.

It was for everyone, but I'm glad you answered. It's interesting to see that everyone who is a little more dressy knows what looks good on them.

I think you are right. Your "not this' is what I think of as a tee-shirt. I wear the ones dh casts off to bed.

The top you have as "this is a t-shirt" is what I think of as a more feminine version of the "Not this." But it isn't quite a "nice knit top."

That's what I see, too. :001_smile: I'm learning, here.

I am currently wearing a pair of basic levi's mid rise stretch jeans, a short sleeved embellished Old Navy tee and flip flops. It is comfortable, and I don't feel "old" in this sort of outfit. This is a typical outfit for me.

I am about to leave in this outfit to attend a computer program training for my college professor job.

I am 5'10" so most button downs look ridiculous on me. The sleeves aren't long enough, and the torso of the top is too short. :001_huh: I find tees much more forgiving.

I am 42 and I have worked to upgrade my look now that my kids aren't so little anymore. ;)

In the summer, I mostly wear dresses or skirts everyday. I sometimes wear shorts, but dresses and skirts are so much cooler and I look more put together, but they are still so easy. This year I mainly have sundresses from Loft and Athletica. My skirts are almost all from Athleta. Love them! I wear them with fitted tees or tanks. If I want to dress up a bit more, I add a cute necklace or scarf. For shoes I wear fit flops or platform sandals (so easy to walk in but dressier).

In the fall/winter, I have lots of fitted tees that I wear with cropped blazers or sweaters or long wrap cardigans. Once again, scarves to dress it up. I usually wear these tops with jeans or cords or slim skirts (with tights). I have a couple of pairs of tall riding style boots that I love to wear with skinny jeans/pants or skirts. If I'm going more casual, I will wear Uggs instead. If I'm wearing boot cut pants or jeans, I usually wear short boots with heels.

A couple pairs of jeans that are flattering for your body are a must!! I buy premium-brand ones, but my sister has found some that she likes at Kohl's and I know that Gap has some great ones as well.

A toile skirt from Talbots? That sounds lovely -- I want that!

My input on the subject: I think it depends what kind of shape a person is in before the clothes talk can commence.

I've seen a young fifty year old (she ran and had money for a great hair colorist) wear shorts and tees and looked fantastic.

Alley

I am 42 and I have worked to upgrade my look now that my kids aren't so little anymore. ;)

I'm also 42 and I definitely dressed more stylish before my latest two came along.

I'm have a very hard time finding clothes that fit nicely. I'm about 40 pounds overweight, long legs, short waist, big hips, belly bulge (thanks to 2 c-sections), no booKs. Try finding a bra in a 38A - impossible. So I wear a lot of sports/cami type bras. Shirts that "fit" nicely on my booKs will be too snug on my belly and ones that fit my belly, sag around the booKs. I refuse to wear push-up, padded, underwire bookshelves every day - too uncomfortable. This is kind of a new shape for me since it didn't come about until after the last two kids and I still haven't completely found what works for both comfort and looking pulled together.

I wear mainly jeans, t-shirts like the nicer ones usually from Eddie Bauer, long sleeve, waffle knit or henley style t-shirts in the winter and cardigan sweaters. When I'm schlubbing around home - jeans and casual (logo, picture) t-shirts or hoody sweatshirts. Sneakers, slides or Uggs depending on the weather.

I like skirts but the more casual, flowy, kind of bohemian style ones. Ones that I can wear with a nice t-shirt and cardigan sweater. Dresses make me look like an oompa loompa.

I'm 44yo. I have dresses and skirts from Athleta.com which I wear constantly. They are so comfortable and I get a lot of compliments on them.

The first thing I did when I found out I was going to be a grandmother a year and a half ago was go out and buy the book How Not to Look Old. Buying a book like that was totally out of character for me, but was my solution to my own personal mini crisis. The author explains not only how not to look old, but how not to look like you're trying to be a teenager. Some of her suggestions were a bit over the top, but it was still helpful in many, many ways. Your library probably has it.

I love that book. I love that one of the opening statements is that this book concentrates on the outer. If you want to improve your mind and character, this ain't the book for it. :lol:

After giving that book a read, I paid more attention to what I wore and how I put things together. Between the book and a season's worth of 'Tim Gunn's Guide to Style' I realized that I needed to dress for my body, not what was on the sale rack. It's made a difference. I'm 54 and wore cute purple feather earrings to a women's ministry workshop today. :D Artsy, fun, and distinctive.

Hopefully the women inside the book are not thin like the woman on the cover, or they should rename the book, How to Dress When You're Skinny. :lol:

This is my favorite style book - fabulous tips. Even if you're not overweight, her book is worth its weight in gold. I also love shows like What Not to Wear and Tim Gunn.

How+to+never+look+fat+again.jpg

Hopefully the women inside the book are not thin like the woman on the cover, or they should rename the book, How to Dress When You're Skinny. :lol:

:lol:

Dawn, no. The women in the book are quite real for the most part. Here's just one sample page of many.

tdy_morales_dress_100309.300w.jpg

Her style of writing is very open and also her tips are super-helpful and practical.

I have a few What Not to Wear books, but her book is my favorite of all :thumbup:.

Here's her site.

Very nice! I just love what black does! It's my favorite color. I'm going to see if my library has the book.

:lol:

Dawn, no. The women in the book are quite real for the most part. Here's just one sample page of many.

tdy_morales_dress_100309.300w.jpg

Her style of writing is very open and also her tips are super-helpful and practical.

I have a few What Not to Wear books, but her book is my favorite of all :thumbup:.

Here's her site.

This is my favorite style book - fabulous tips. Even if you're not overweight, her book is worth its weight in gold. I also love shows like What Not to Wear and Tim Gunn.

How+to+never+look+fat+again.jpg

She also had a book called How Not to Look Old that I think is even better than this one. It really addresses the issues of fit and proportion that are important to looking stylish as an older woman, yet avoiding the mutton-dressed-as-lamb trap.

ETA: In searching for a link to this book, I found this instead: excerpts from the book and extra advice. I don't watch Oprah, so I didn't know she was a regular contributor.

These references are great.

I'm 39 and think I finally have a good sense as to what looks good on me -- very tailored, almost severe styles; absolutely no v-necks or sleeveless -- but I just can't find it. I am going back to work part-time after 6 years at home and this past Sunday DH took the kids so I could go shopping for work clothes. I spent FOUR miserable hours at the mall and came home with one pair of pants (Ann Taylor Loft, black boot cut slacks). It was the most aggravating experience I have had in ages, and that's saying something. Everything was either too young or too old. I had to go to a work event yesterday and I wore my new pants with a maternity sweater. (I am not pregnant.) It was the best I could do. But I urgentlyhave to buy some professional clothes, and I just don't know where to go.

My everyday clothes are mostly fitted crew-neck T-shirts and boot-cut jeans.