Menu

In case you haven't noticed my post count, I'm a total Noob.

I would love to learn more about the "culture" of this place.

Would you be willing to link me to what, in your opinion, is an essential thread, here at the forums?

I'd love to learn more about this place! :bigear:

What are some classic threads that I could go read that in your opinion, would give me a real flavor for some of the great discussions you've had around here.

(If they're funny, well, then, so much the better!)

I'd prefer to avoid making silly Newbie mistakes by bringing up topics that have been discussed ad nauseum.:blushing:

Although, of course, it's possible that a thread like this one is that very thing! So, forgive me if it is.:blush:

School me? :001_smile:

Edited by Susan in the Boonies

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one is hilarious.

UGH!

This is the "sequel" to the above thread:

I really wanted to see that picture

And this one is where the kilts started...

I have asked that my membership be removed from this board

The start of teA (and possible booKs, I'm not sure)

What the world needs now...

The start of teA room carpet:

Have you had carpet removed from your teA room?

Some really good threads from other areas of the board:

This one is a classic.

The breadth vs. depth question

Why you should work on TWTM skills - copywork, narration, dictation, outlining, etc.

Interest driven education and *real* tea-time

Edited by STEM

A few words of personal advice:

NEVER suggest that all of Europe knows the sitting president is a backwards idiot. Especially don't do it on July 4th.:blush:

Certain thread topics are annual. It is easy as a newbie to be totally sucked in. I personally vowed to never open another thread with the words "bikini" and "fat" in the title.:tongue_smilie:

Sometimes when the tension is high, look for threads on "men in kilts" and "goats in crockpots. They are well worth reading all 60 pages of nonsense, especially if you drink and have insomnia.:D

Welcome to the boards.

Start here

:lol::lol:

ETA: Keep in mind the OP was edited.

Oh, and for the record, I personally enjoy posts 101, 123, and 128.

Well, perhaps because I have my page breaks still set at ridiculously low levels, but.

ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTEEN PAGES????

AND A CLOSED THREAD???

LOL!

Will somebody pop me some popcorn please? I'm gonna be up all night....

Thanks so much for your help!:D

A few words of personal advice:

NEVER suggest that all of Europe knows the sitting president is a backwards idiot. Especially don't do it on July 4th.:blush:

Certain thread topics are annual. It is easy as a newbie to be totally sucked in. I personally vowed to never open another thread with the words "bikini" and "fat" in the title.:tongue_smilie:

Sometimes when the tension is high, look for threads on "men in kilts" and "goats in crockpots. They are well worth reading all 60 pages of nonsense, especially if you drink and have insomnia.:D

Welcome to the boards.

LOL! I am very fond of men in kilts.

I know better than anything approaching a "modesty" thread.

Goats in crockpots is a new one on me, I confess.

Perfect hints!

Thanks so much! :grouphug:

In case you haven't noticed my post count, I'm a total Noob.

I would love to learn more about the "culture" of this place.

Would you be willing to link me to what, in your opinion, is an essential thread, here at the forums?

I'd love to learn more about this place!

What are some classic threads that I could go read that in your opinion, would give me a real flavor for some of the great discussions you've had around here.

(If they're funny, well, then, so much the better!)

I'd prefer to avoid making silly Newbie mistakes by bringing up topics that have been discussed ad nauseum.:blushing:

Although, of course, it's possible that a thread like this one is that very thing! So, forgive me if it is.

School me? :001_smile:

Temptation got the best of you eh? I tried to caution you about too much too soon :D

You are diving into the carpet trimming, TeA indulging, bOOk chattering, kitten killing, kilt loving, sarcastically witty underworld known as the WTM forum! You will be entertained, enlightened, humored and perhaps a little shocked :D

Popcorn and drink for your fare :cheers2: :lurk5:

Happy reading! :lol::lol:

We can argue quite intensely about creation/evolution, various forms of religion, state assistance in homeschooling, dress codes, nudity, Nutella, the Oxford Comma, and math curriculum. And just about everything else.

Treads can take on a life of their own. But we're a fun hive.

Jump right on in; you'll do just fine.

Well, perhaps because I have my page breaks still set at ridiculously low levels, but.

ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTEEN PAGES????

AND A CLOSED THREAD???

LOL!

Will somebody pop me some popcorn please? I'm gonna be up all night....

Thanks so much for your help!:D

Here you go. :lurk5: And apparently the Hive says I should be baking brownies. They will be along in a bit.

Don't mention a particularly good home-baked item without including the recipe.

Vote in every Poll - even if you don't care....

Post a picture of the animal in question if you ask about a pet.

Read the kilt thread. Completely. Every post.

Hey - can someone post the link to Joanne's Bean Dip Thread? That's the best homeschooling advice I EVER got!

Don't forget, though, about twice per year you have to join a slugfest about something really deep or people will start thinking you're only here for the kilts. Here, I'll give you a few sample 'deep' topics for if you ever feel the need to join the really erudite fights:

1. higher education

2. education in Europe and how it is better than education in the USA (can sometimes get away with slamming the UK, but that's it)

3. poverty (welfare, class warfare, food stamps, etc. bonus points for being able to argue both sides in a single thread)

4. phonics

5. math (study up before wading in. Do a forum search on Math Spy Car)

Don't forget, though, about twice per year you have to join a slugfest about something really deep or people will start thinking you're only here for the kilts. Here, I'll give you a few sample 'deep' topics for if you ever feel the need to join the really erudite fights:

1. higher education

2. education in Europe and how it is better than education in the USA (can sometimes get away with slamming the UK, but that's it)

3. poverty (welfare, class warfare, food stamps, etc. bonus points for being able to argue both sides in a single thread)

4. phonics

Well, cr@p. I knew I was shallow. Wait! Maybe debating religion counts! Nah. I think I may be here just for the kilts.

1. higher education

4. phonics

6. the Civil War

We can argue quite intensely about creation/evolution, various forms of religion, state assistance in homeschooling, dress codes, nudity, Nutella, the Oxford Comma, and math curriculum. And just about everything else.

Treads can take on a life of their own. But we're a fun hive.

Jump right on in; you'll do just fine.

You forgot one space or two. :D (the answer is one. it is always one. foreverandeveramen)

Don't ask me. I am a noob too and I already started a thread that had to be closed. :001_huh:

From the first post I knew you were getting off to a glorious start here. Anything starting with "Does this make you mad?"....will. Half the board will be mad. The other half will be of three minds. (Not mad, might be mad depending on circumstances, and mad that others are mad.)

:D

Don't ask me. I am a noob too and I already started a thread that had to be closed. :001_huh:

lol That's only because it went Goodwin's Law viral.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

That's not your fault. When minor things like 'soda restrictions at camp' are equated with Nazi Germany, it's all over.

Edited by LibraryLover

From the first post I knew you were getting off to a glorious start here. Anything starting with "Does this make you mad?"....will. Half the board will be mad. The other half will be of three minds. (Not mad, might be mad depending on circumstances, and mad that others are mad.)

:D

Had not thought of it that way but I see that you are right.

lol That's only because it went Goodwin's Law viral.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

That's not your fault. When minor things like 'soda restrictions at camp' are equated with Nazi Germany, it's all over.

I have never heard that before but I have certainly seen it play out.

A homeschooling gal named Susan who has the smarts to ask for the secret buzzwords to this hive! You'll fit in perfectly! Welcome!

Yeah, I was just thinking back over my intro to the HIVE and how I so completely stepped into it....

Susan, you are obviously way more intelligent than I ever was.......:D

Freaking a. As a newbie, I thought this thread would be great. Then I saw the monstrosity of a thread posted at the beginning and almost closed it out...until the tab Sean Connery in a kilt posted. God love whoever posted that picture. Tis could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

*off to look for more pictures of Sean* :D

My tip to the newbie: as long as you use apostrophes correctly, you should be fine. Bonus points for understanding teA, bOOks, carpeting and kilts. Never discuss weight/fat/thinness and reasons for those things. I just learned that; I'm giving you a heads up.

P.S. If you have more than one set of twins or greater than 13 kids, we will dog your posts to see if you're a troll.

There are some other hot topics that come up with the changing of the seasons, and since we're heading into that time of year, I'll warn you. Get ready for the hot threads of Halloween - "Do you celebrate Halloween?" And, if you celebrate, the other hot thread will be, "How old is too old for trick-or-treating?" :D

After that, things are relatively calm, with the "Where are you eating Thanksgiving dinner?" and "What will you be cooking for Thanksgiving dinner?" threads. There will possibly be some "Major Vent" threads as folks spend more time than usual with the in-laws...There will be lots of recommendations to "pass the bean dip."

Then, brace yourself for one of the hottest thread topics, that appears near the end of the year..."Does your family "do" Santa Claus?" Let me tell ya...that's always a good one...:D

Edited by amydavis
Almost killed a feline...

My tip to the newbie: as long as you use apostrophes correctly, you should be fine.
I try to.

No promises.

Bonus points for understanding teA, bOOks

No bonus points for me in those areas.

carpeting

Probably not in relation to whatever it is you are referring to

and kilts.

I'm familiar.

Never discuss weight/fat/thinness and reasons for those things. I just learned that; I'm giving you a heads up.
Thanks!

P.S. If you have more than one set of twins or greater than 13 kids, we will dog your posts to see if you're a troll.

I have two kids.

I've been on the SL forums for around ten years, maybe longer, so I'm not completely naive.

After all, I can multi-quote (she mentioned, preening herself, ever so slightly.)

Just looking to learn the culture in these parts.

Thanks for all your help.

LOL Let me just be the first to say that I still not know if you're a troll. :lol:

Seriously. <I am watching you> :D

Welcome, welcome!! lol :grouphug:

I try to.

No promises.

No bonus points for me in those areas.

Probably not in relation to whatever it is you are referring to

I'm familiar.

Thanks!

I have two kids.

I've been on the SL forums for around ten years, maybe longer, so I'm not completely naive.

After all, I can multi-quote (she mentioned, preening herself, ever so slightly.)

Just looking to learn the culture in these parts.

Thanks for all your help.