Menu

Are there really any realistic and practical options for working from home?

I am not looking for some at home business that only pays so much depending on how many people you can recruit each month.

Are there any ways to work from home that will pay a decent salary, like over $500 a month? Or even more depending on how much you can work. Every one always says medical transcripts but I can't go back to school right now.

Ideas?:confused:

Beginning this fall, I'll begin making significantly more than $500/mo. working from home in a transcription field, but the training costs just $400, and can be done at home in as little as four to six weeks. I'm a Typewell classroom transcriber for hearing impaired students. BUT (full disclosure), I spent two years working on our local university campus for experience before being able to work from home via remote assignments. If that's an option for you (although I guess it's not required, just practical), and you'd like more information, please PM me.

Edited by milovaný

Beginning this fall, I'll begin making significantly more than $500/mo. working from home in a transcription field, but the training costs just $400, and can be done at home in as little as four to six weeks. I'm a Typewell classroom transcriber for hearing impaired students. BUT (full disclosure), I spent two years working on our local university campus for experience before being able to work from home via remote assignments. If that's an option for you (although I guess it's not required, just practical), and you'd like more information, please PM me.

That's really interesting! I live in the Colorado Springs area, and there is a large Deaf community here. How did you get started working at the campus?

In-home daycare. That's what I would do if I ever needed to work from home for money. It pays really well. My mom did it for years when I was a kid.

I work with preschoolers now in a special education school for the school district so that's not a bad option.

Thanks

I have done in home daycare for 20 yrs. How much you can make depends on your area. I was making $200 a week for one child, but now that I have moved to a different state the going rate is about $60 a week for one child. For me, the $200 a week was worth it, but for $60 a week it isn't. Not now that I am homeschooling and have my kids in outside activities.

I sold Discovery Toys. I could have made about $500 a month if I'd worked more at it--more in the Fall season and less in the winter. You don't have to recruit, but it is how you make more $.

I don't do it anymore.

I'd do home daycare or petcare if I had to. The petcare is really good, because you don't have to surpervise as closely as with a child (well, duh--:D).

You could always toddle over to volition.com and browse.

It's merchandising work at local stores. Very easy, pay is the issue though, so be careful.

I worked for Mattel, Hallmark, Walmart, Rite-Aid, Walgreens..just a ton of places from there.

Take on as much or as little as you want locally. Every once in a while something from at home shows up as well.

That's really interesting! I live in the Colorado Springs area, and there is a large Deaf community here. How did you get started working at the campus?

I may not get back to the board for a couple of days (or may not see this thread again) -- I'm sending a PM to two others who contacted me so if you PM, I'll forward my reply to them to you as well. Thanks!

I am not looking for some at home business that only pays so much depending on how many people you can recruit each month.

Are there any ways to work from home that will pay a decent salary, like over $500 a month? Or even more depending on how much you can work. Every one always says medical transcripts but I can't go back to school right now.

Ideas?:confused:

I work from home. I'm a freelance writer. I do some independent stuff but lately, I just write a lot of web content. I write for sites such as Demand Media Studios, Break Studios and Daily Glow. I do some work for Yahoo! Shine once in a while. Most pay only $15 per article but they are between 300 and 400 words. Not easy but I make about $1800 a month doing it.

I do some legal writing for clients on the side, non-content stuff, but the content writing tends to make up the most of my income.

Some experience is preferred and Demand Media Studios generally wants a bachelor's degree or associate's degree.

I do day care, and we also host international college students. Together this brings in $1850 per month gross. The hosting is not taxable, it falls under shared housing, and the day care provides a write-off for use of the house & meals, so it ends up as a loss on our tax return, which lowers our tax liability. Instead of hosting, renting out a room is also a possibility, which is also not taxable under the shared housing rules.

I have one daughter who started a home care agency that she runs from her home. She used to be a nurse's aide, and now she uses her contacts from that field to hire her friends per diem and schedules them in client's homes to provide home care. She makes about $2 for every hour they work in a client's home.

My DH used to be a family living provider for a mentally disabled adult man. Basically you need a bedroom and a committment to include this individual in your family life. DH's client went to a sheltered workshop during the day and participated in family life in the evenings or on weekends. Some people do 'respite care' for the mentally disabled, meaning that they have these clients stay in their home over the weekend.

FYI - I don't mean to be secretive, more so just didn't want to type it all out if nobody cared, lol, I'll post here what I sent via PM:

"I rate internet sites from home. It's 100% on your own time, and you get paid by the hour ($13.50/hr). You are asked to put in 10hr/wk but no more than 20hr/wk. You basically are rating how well a website fits a search query. It looks really complicated when they send you the manual, but it's pretty logical when you step back.

It does get a little monotonous, and if you're slow, you get a little screwed, because they do only pay you for the standard time they say it should take you. But, otherwise, it's pretty good money for being able to come and go as you please at home!!

I will admit though, that I have a hard time fitting in the hours, so I often stay up late to do it.

Here is the link if you're interested:

http://en-us.lionbridge.co​m/global-crowdsourcing/job​s/internet-assessors.htm

Kristin"

In-home daycare. That's what I would do if I ever needed to work from home for money. It pays really well. My mom did it for years when I was a kid.

Thats what I was going to say as well. I watch 2 little ones in my home 4 days a week and besides having to get up at the crack of dawn (I am not a morning person!), I think its great. I dont quite hit $500 per month, but its close now that I have started doing preschool with the 3 year old. I imagine I could always watch more or get certified and then it would be more profitable. :001_smile:

I do in home daycare. I currently have 3 part time families and combining all 3 I make aroudn $350-400 a month. I am hoping to get 1-2 fulltime kids. I charge $500 per month full time so with 1 kids combined with my part timers I will make more than I was at my job last year.

I work from home. I'm a freelance writer. I do some independent stuff but lately, I just write a lot of web content. I write for sites such as Demand Media Studios, Break Studios and Daily Glow. I do some work for Yahoo! Shine once in a while. Most pay only $15 per article but they are between 300 and 400 words. Not easy but I make about $1800 a month doing it.

I do some legal writing for clients on the side, non-content stuff, but the content writing tends to make up the most of my income.

Some experience is preferred and Demand Media Studios generally wants a bachelor's degree or associate's degree.

How did you find these websites to write for?

Guest JayKishan

With the internet, there are several types of jobs available for work from home.

If you don't like to get additional training (as in medical transcription or medical coding) then Customer Service Representative (CSR) is the typical job available.

You can directly apply to www.arise.com or www.westathome.com for becoming a Customer Service Representative. Depending on the company you are working for you can expect to make between $10.00 and $14.00 per hour.

In addition to CSR there are numerous other types of jobs available to work from home, a list of such jobs is listed below. Some of which require additional training, but some (like writer or blogger) requires no training but you need to have special talents. You can find a real-time updated listing of these job opportunities from reputed companies by visiting this website: http://workathomejobsblog.net/

Associate Editor

Avon Representative

Blogger

Clinical Research Associate

Coder

Coding Quality Reviewer

Collector

Copy Writer

Customer Care Representative

Data Entry

Family Therapist

Ghostwriter

Graphic Design

Medical Coding

Medical Transcription

Occupational Therapist

Paralegal

Personal Nurse (telephonic)

Pharmacist

Pharmacy Technician

Physical Therapist

Receptionist

Reservation Agent

Telephone Research

Therapist

Translators

Travel Counselor

Virtual Assistant

Web Developer

Writer

==========

Jay Kishan

http://workathomejobsblog.net/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fortunately or unfortunately, earning a decent income necessitates some kind of professional training or experience. If you lack both skills and experience, then making a decent living will be tough whether you do it from office or your home. So, I would suggest getting trained for a job before putting yourself out in the market or you may end up disappointed and dejected.

Regarding your other concern, you don’t have to go back to school to learn medical transcription. You can do it sitting at home thanks to online medical transcription training programs.