Menu

What do you bring when...

you are supposed to deliver a meal to a family where Mom is recovering from surgery. 2 adults one boy, around 10 years old.

Do you have a standby?

We were told no allergies, they are not vegetarians, vegans, etc but have received 3 chicken enchiladas last week...and are looking forward to something else. :001_smile:

I could consult my cookbooks but it's so much more fun to ask you all. :bigear:

Edited by Liz CA

whole roast chicken, bag of salad and dressing, steamed vegetable, some sort of rice or potato, corn bread.

My home is gluten free and I know about allergy and diabetic cooking so my church calls me when there is a special needs meal delivery. I don't do casseroles, which seems to be what most people do.

ETA: I also make sure I bring my meal on the day and near the hour they plan to eat.

Edited by betty

I usually bring some sort of baked pasta, because it freezes well. My MIL's mac-and-cheese would freeze well too.

When I had a baby a few weeks ago, a friend brought a delicious chicken pie that our whole family loved (and they want her to give me the recipe so I can make it for them).

Italian Wedding Soup w/crusty bread and a dessert, usually ice cream sandwiches, cookies, whatever is easy.

Chili w/fixings (Fritos, cheese, sour cream) and a dessert.

Cold Italian pasta salad w/grapes on the side and a dessert.

Salsa Chicken w/fixings (tortillas, tortilla chips, cheese, sliced olives) and a dessert.

I've tried others, but these have been some of my easiest. They can also be reheated easily since I like to make it a day before and drop it off when it is the most convenient to the person receiving it.

Sweet and Sour Chicken has become my meal to take to friends within our small group. Unfortunately, it takes forever to make. But once I made it for the first family, I had to make it for anyone else that we took meals to.

I've also done the take and bake pizza from Papa Murphys.

Baked ziti type dish. I mix sauce, diced tomatoes, and ricotta cheese with cooked pasta, top with mozzerella, and bake until cheese is melty. Then cover it with foil so they can eat it then, or freeze it for later. Great with a salad if you have the time to make one as well...even a bag of the premade salad mix from the store would be great.

Meat Lasagna, salad, bread & a dessert

Pulled pork, a really good BBQ sauce, rolls, cole slaw & a dessert

Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans & a dessert

Roast chicken (or turkey breast), stuffing, potatoes, green beans, gravy & a dessert

Due to so many food allergies, I mainly bring gift cards to their favorite places or arrange in advance to bring what they like from those. It amazes me that some will know that there are major food allergies and yet bring their favorites. One woman I know brings her stand by meal of peanut burgers to everyone and I still can't get her to understand that is not ok. :glare:. I also try to add kid friendly snacks that I know they can have- like cut up celery and carrots was a huge hit for the kids who's mom had hand surgery.