Menu

Douglas Wilson

Douglas Wilson certainly has an interesting perspective on rape:

Violent rape is a judgment of God upon a people. . . This does not justify the perpetrators; it is simply the recognition that when disaster befalls a city, sexual disaster for the women is part of this. . . Violent rape is God’s judgment on a culture, and individual women who are part of that culture are included in the judgment. . . . We see the same judgment at work in disintegrating cultures: “Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil†(Eccl. 8:11). Here the rape is not being perpetrated by foreign soldiers, but is the result of citizens turning on one another. . . But when God’s hand of judgment is heavy upon a people, women are in far greater danger of sexual assault than at other times.

Douglas Wilson, Fidelity: What It Means To Be a One-Woman Man

There are no smilies appropriate to convey my response to this. It is possibly the most vile statement I have ever read.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And now we know why patriarchal men don't wear kilts.

I'm pretty sure most of them would consider it a dress and therefore SINFUL because they would be dressing like a woman. That's why their women don't wear pants. It would be pretty freaking strange if they could wear a skirt and their wife couldn't wear pants.:tongue_smilie:

Ergo, there can be no patriarchal men in our calendar. Because that would be a sin. For real.

I'm pretty sure most of them would consider it a dress and therefore SINFUL because they would be dressing like a woman. That's why their women don't wear pants. It would be pretty freaking strange if they could wear a skirt and their wife couldn't wear pants.:tongue_smilie:

Ergo, there can be no patriarchal men in our calendar. Because that would be a sin. For real.

You make a logical argument.

Actually kilts are a hit with some of them.

There are no smilies appropriate to convey my response to this. It is possibly the most vile statement I have ever read.

As vile as those statements are, it's not even what unpleasantly surprised me the most in that book. (And it didn't surprise me because I've heard that kind of junk before.) Trash.

It *is*. What he was describing *is* his view. You don't understand that only because you are (surprisingly) unfamiliar with his works. You have been given enough information to research it on your own. Go forth. Read.

Why is this surprising? He stated in the OP that he had just discovered the man's writings. He was excited to have found something he liked. I know the feeling. I only recently discovered his writing. I read Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning, I found some information I liked and some I did not; but I looked no further into his work. Until this thread, I knew nothing of his views. I glanced at the slavery article, but I have not had time to read it yet.

I know nothing about the man except what I have read in this thread. I will have to follow this reading up with some further research of my own.

Why is this surprising? He stated in the OP that he had just discovered the man's writings. He was excited to have found something he liked. I know the feeling. I only recently discovered his writing. I read Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning, I found some information I liked and some I did not; but I looked no further into his work. Until this thread, I knew nothing of his views. I glanced at the slavery article, but I have not had time to read it yet.

I know nothing about the man except what I have read in this thread. I will have to follow this reading up with some further research of my own.

It is surprising that the OP is arguing about something he knows nothing about. He was insisting upon something that is totally wrong. When I don't know something I 1) ask questions and 2) do research. Using I statements helps, so does phrasing things in a questioning manner.

If the argument had been phrased like this:

"Hm. I thought DW was distinguishing himself from patriarchal types. I'm not a patriarchal type and would use this sort of argument if I were in a situation with a misogynist to bring him to my side on this issue. Is DW a supporter of patriarchy? I'm not sure because I'm just now researching him, anyone know?"

It would have been received differently.

Boooooooooo. You make me sad. OBVIOUSLY, a lot of these types fail at basic logic. What can you do.

Ironically Douglas Wilson co-wrote with James Nance a logic book called Introductory Logic that (I'm afraid to say) has some currency on this board. Awful book BTW.

I doubt many users understood the full story...until now.

Actually the full story would need to include Wilson's role in supporting and covering up for a serial child molester named Steven Sitler who (as a student) attended Wilson's college. Despite the fact Sitler reportedly molested children as young as 2, Wilson wrote the Judge at Sitler's sentencing requesting leniency, so Sitler (repentant in Wilson's eyes) could soon reenter society.

In response to the furor caused by his support of Sitler, and his hiding the news of the molestations from his congregation, Douglas Wilson said:

I am a pastor. I cover up sins for a living.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Actually kilts are a hit with some of them.

I believe that is true, pretty sure I have seen Doug Philips in a kilt. He seems very attracted to all things Scottish.

I have read Wilson's books on classical education. I thought they were o.k. He didn't sound very supportive of home-schooling but I felt a little inspired toward the classical model. I was involved in a home-schooling support group whose leaders were huge advocates of patriarchy. I became acquainted with some of his ideas, not really understanding at the time how he was connected to that philosophy. Then, I read a book written by his wife that stated that boys shouldn't be home-schooled and I began to understand more about their ideals for the family. I only have boys. My oldest was only five but I knew that God was calling us to homeschool and it didn't sit well with me that they would strongly advise against homeschooling sons. THEN, through a series of events, I became thoroughly disgusted with all things patriarchial at about the same time that I concluded that Calvinism is a false gospel... so, I haven't picked any of his materials up in recent years.

Those are the same men who want us to wear culottes D:

YUCK!!!!!!!!! I think if I had an archenemy that person would wear culottes.

Bill, I hear you. I'm not going to quote you, just in case. The hive should write a collective logic book. Our examples could be full of kilts, homemade noodles and crockpots (NOT crackpots, that's really what would separate us from the pack).

Throw them away. I love and adore real books, but I've never felt remorse about tossing a few books.

I had some really delicious s'mores a few years ago, fueled by a copy of a Pearl book someone had given me.

Farenheit 451 scared the daylights out of me, and I take delight in selecting from the banned book list, but even so, some books should never make it to the printing press.

Ironically Douglas Wilson co-wrote with James Nance a logic book called Introductory Logic that (I'm afraid to say) has some currency on this board. Awful book BTW.

I doubt many users understood the full story...until now.

Actually the full story would need to include Wilson's role in supporting and covering up for a serial child molester named Steven Sitler who (as a student) attended Wilson's college. Despite the fact Sitler reportedly molested children as young as 2, Wilson wrote the Judge at Sitler's sentencing requesting leniency, so Sitler (repentant in Wilson's eyes) could soon reenter society.

In response to the furor caused by his support of Sitler, and his hiding the news of the molestations from his congregation, Douglas Wilson said:

I am a pastor. I cover up sins for a living.

Bill

What? What??? :mad:

What? What??? :mad:

I'm pretty sue that covering up sins (especial those of child molesters) is not what they teach in Seminary School, except (of course) "Pastor" Wilson, with the exception of one summer school program, never actually went though Seminary School.

Think it shows?

Bill

I'm pretty sue that covering up sins (especial those of child molesters) is not what they teach in Seminary School, except (of course) "Pastor" Wilson, with the exception of one summer school program, never actually went though Seminary School.

Think it shows?

Bill

Seriously, child molester? When did that start? I'm not sure that's fair, unless there's news I didn't see or hear. :confused:

Seriously, child molester? When did that start? I'm not sure that's fair, unless there's news I didn't see or hear. :confused:

Wilson was not the child molester. I want to be clear about that. He (Wilson) learned that a student at his school had molested numerous children. Reports are that he sat on the facts for three week, and when the news started to trickle out he had the molester, Steven Sitler, turn himself in.

Sitler was found guilty. Before his sentencing Wilson wrote the Judge asking for leniency for a man who sexually abused. countless children, some as young as 2 years old.

Remember Wilson believes the death penalty is justified for adulterers, but this child molester gets his aid and assistance. Sitler ended up with the school's lawyer and with visits from the "Pastor" who claimed Sitler is repentant and therefore ought to be able to rejoin society relatively soon, and Wilson allegedly did the child abuse from his flock.

It is an ugly story.

Bill

It *is*. What he was describing *is* his view. You don't understand that only because you are (surprisingly) unfamiliar with his works. You have been given enough information to research it on your own. Go forth. Read.

Exactly. I agree with both of these things, especially together.

It isn't the fault of the men and women here if you are woefully ignorant (in the proper sense of uninformed) of topics you insist upon engaging people upon.

I started this thread so I could become less ignorant. And now I am.

Don't feel bad Tony, while Douglas Wilson has been sort of "famous" in classical (Christian) education circles for a long time, I think very few people really had a good understanding of the man and his ideas.

The thread has served a purpose.

Bill

Somebody clear me up on something. I don't think I had ever made the connections and have not read through the entirety of this thread. Douglas Wilson is the head of Vision Forum? Does he also have something to do with Veritas Press or just Omnibus?

Is he also the guru behind the whole patriarchy/patriocentricity mess? I'm trying to put some mental puzzle pieces together here. I've not read anything by him.

I love thatmom.com and her podcasts, and I believe she has discussed him in the past.

I ask this because I'm not wanting to mentally associate him with people/groups if he is not involved with them, kwim?

Thank you for this thread. I have learned a lot. I had never heard about the slavery thing.

:iagree: To the OP, Just ignore the accusations and move on. Not everyone can live and breathe the wtm boards, what's been discussed here in the past, and all the nuances of the homeschool community as a whole. I've found this thread helpful and quite enlightening.

I knew a preacher (UGH) one time that said this from the pulpit, "The only reason to send a girl to college is so she can get her M.R.S. degree and will be fit to raise boys." STUUUUUUUPID man....he was taken out of the sanctuary and fired by the deacons and church board. Open big, fat chauvenistic mouth, insert big, fat, chauvenistic foot. Bye, bye job...bye, bye!

Faith

I've never quite understood this mentality. What IF you have a daughter who wants to be a missionary and never winds up marrying? God has plans for lots of women in different ways, and they don't ALL involve being married and having children.

Wilson was not the child molester. I want to be clear about that. He (Wilson) learned that a student at his school had molested numerous children. Reports are that he sat on the facts for three week, and when the news started to trickle out he had the molester, Steven Sitler, turn himself in.

Sitler was found guilty. Before his sentencing Wilson wrote the Judge asking for leniency for a man who sexually abused. countless children, some as young as 2 years old.

Remember Wilson believes the death penalty is justified for adulterers, but this child molester gets his aid and assistance. Sitler ended up with the school's lawyer and with visits from the "Pastor" who claimed Sitler is repentant and therefore ought to be able to rejoin society relatively soon, and Wilson allegedly did the child abuse from his flock.

It is an ugly story.

Bill

I had no idea about any of this until this thread! Good grief, I knew this happens with some regularity in IFB churches...but did not know it happened there. I know it happened in an FPC also.

Somebody clear me up on something. I don't think I had ever made the connections and have not read through the entirety of this thread. Douglas Wilson is the head of Vision Forum? Does he also have something to do with Veritas Press or just Omnibus?

Is he also the guru behind the whole patriarchy/patriocentricity mess? I'm trying to put some mental puzzle pieces together here. I've not read anything by him.

I love thatmom.com and her podcasts, and I believe she has discussed him in the past.

I ask this because I'm not wanting to mentally associate him with people/groups if he is not involved with them, kwim?

You are mixing up your Doug's of patriarchy/reconstructionist ilk. Doug Wilson is involved with Christ Church in the Moscow, Idaho area which also sports a classical school and St. Andrews College which teaches the same theology.

Doug Phillips is the ceo and founder of Vision Forum. They are very similar in their ideas and practice. So, it's quite easy to mix up these two.

Faith

You are mixing up your Doug's of patriarchy/reconstructionist ilk. Doug Wilson is involved with Christ Church in the Moscow, Idaho area which also sports a classical school and St. Andrews College which teaches the same theology.

Doug Phillips is the ceo and founder of Vision Forum. They are very similar in their ideas and practice. So, it's quite easy to mix up these two.

Faith

Ohh, okay. Thanks!! I'm getting my gurus mixed up. :lol:

I knew enough about DW to know that I wanted to stay away. I've been further enlightened now & want to vomit. It saddens & angers me that some people, even after knowing some of this vile information, will still find value in some of his writing. For me, there's no "keep what you like & toss the rest" for this man.

Let me also shed some further light into the depth of the "UGH" factor with Doug Wilson and Stitler. My sister was studying for her Psych degree at the time this case came out. It was a case that her class heavily discussed and followed. She's read through some of the court records.

1. Doug Wilson knew about Stitler's activities (ie. Stitler was confessing to crimes committed against families in the community to the police) in March of 2005 year. Wilson did not inform his congregation, some of whom would later find out that Stitler had access to their children), until August. During that time, the police were involved and families from Emmanual Presbyterian had already pressed charges. So, any clergy confidentiality (not that I personally believe that scripture gives any indication that clergy should shield felons) was already off the table because his congregation had to confront him...they were hearing this in gossip, in local news, in state news, directly from the victim's families at Emmanul Presybyterian, etc. He only made a statement when he absolutely could not avoid it any longer.

2. Wilson knew, he'd seen the charges from the state of Washington (2 year old girl and case proven/not just allegations), prior to Stitler's registering for classes at St. Andrews, an institution in which most of the students are placed for boarding with families in the community. Stitler was placed with a family that had young children and Wilson knew what Stitler's past was and did nothing about it nor did he warn the family. This was a HUGE issue discussed at rather LOUD lengths in her psych class with her professor reminding them that "vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord" and not to form any lynch mobs and go running to Idaho to put Wilson's head on a spit!

3. Police believed there were more than 20 victims.

4. Stitler served very little time. Wilson wrote a letter begging for leniency.

5. When a family from Christ Church came forward because their daughter was molested by another student from St. Andrews within that same time frame, they were not greeted with any compassion nor were they given help but the father was brought up on disciplinary charges before the eldership of Christ Church for not protecting his daughter. According to the eldership, the real sin was that of the father not taking his "protect the family" job seriously enough and he was encouraged to NOT press charges against the perp. Dad pressed charges anyway, the student confessed, and was sentenced to a piddly amount of time.

All of this is public record so I'm not defaming Mr. Wilson. Police records, church records, journalistic interviews, newspaper articles, court records...it's all there. He doesn't have a leg to stand on in defense of his own actions.

So, for me, it makes it impossible to consider buying anything that Mr. Wilson has authored, co-authored, supported, endorsed, etc. I cannot support such a man financially, much less in any other way.

Faith

:iagree: To the OP, Just ignore the accusations and move on. Not everyone can live and breathe the wtm boards, what's been discussed here in the past, and all the nuances of the homeschool community as a whole. I've found this thread helpful and quite enlightening.

If I didn't personally know people with questions like the OP's, I would have wondered if it was pot-stirring and not ignorance. And I don't mean "ignorance" in a pejorative way at all. But knowing a bit about these kinds of questions, I'm glad he asked and yes, this thread has served a good purpose.

Good! I hope some of your views on him have matured! :)

Faith,

Could you point me toward some of the articles or interviews you mentioned. This isn't something that I've heard of and I'd like to read more.

Thanks.

Update: Never mind. I was able to find some ends of the thread. Disturbing reading.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

I recommend not Googling for more information. :cursing::crying:

I am particularly disturbed by WHY these two men feel that a college education is acceptable for women. I had no idea how completely opposed to their worldview I was until this. From the horse's mouth. Ahem.:lol:

http://www.canonwired.com/ask-doug/women-college/

I especially enjoyed how women without a college education are 'anchors'. :glare:

Hmmm. I grew up in the country. I can easily separate cow manure from horse manure.

I still recognize both as manure though.

:lol:

And now we know why patriarchal men don't wear kilts.

*snort*

Let me also shed some further light into the depth of the "UGH" factor with Doug Wilson and Stitler. My sister was studying for her Psych degree at the time this case came out. It was a case that her class heavily discussed and followed. She's read through some of the court records.

1. Doug Wilson knew about Stitler's activities (ie. Stitler was confessing to crimes committed against families in the community to the police) in March of 2005 year. Wilson did not inform his congregation, some of whom would later find out that Stitler had access to their children), until August. During that time, the police were involved and families from Emmanual Presbyterian had already pressed charges. So, any clergy confidentiality (not that I personally believe that scripture gives any indication that clergy should shield felons) was already off the table because his congregation had to confront him...they were hearing this in gossip, in local news, in state news, directly from the victim's families at Emmanul Presybyterian, etc. He only made a statement when he absolutely could not avoid it any longer.

2. Wilson knew, he'd seen the charges from the state of Washington (2 year old girl and case proven/not just allegations), prior to Stitler's registering for classes at St. Andrews, an institution in which most of the students are placed for boarding with families in the community. Stitler was placed with a family that had young children and Wilson knew what Stitler's past was and did nothing about it nor did he warn the family. This was a HUGE issue discussed at rather LOUD lengths in her psych class with her professor reminding them that "vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord" and not to form any lynch mobs and go running to Idaho to put Wilson's head on a spit!

3. Police believed there were more than 20 victims.

4. Stitler served very little time. Wilson wrote a letter begging for leniency.

All of this is public record so I'm not defaming Mr. Wilson. Police records, church records, journalistic interviews, newspaper articles, court records...it's all there. He doesn't have a leg to stand on in defense of his own actions.

So, for me, it makes it impossible to consider buying anything that Mr. Wilson has authored, co-authored, supported, endorsed, etc. I cannot support such a man financially, much less in any other way.

Sitler confessed to more than a dozen victims in three states as part of his plea bargain agreement.

This summer, Doug Wilson married Steven Sitler to a young woman, after a courtship was set up by an elder of Wilson's church. By the tenets of Wilson's form of Christianity, she'll be expected to obey him and submit to him, considering him the spiritual leader of their family.

I wonder if she will be exempted from the expectation of having children. Lots of children.

http://www.keely-prevailingwinds.com/2011/05/marriage-part-2-with-letter-to-ed.html

Sitler confessed to more than a dozen victims in three states as part of his plea bargain agreement.

This summer, Doug Wilson married Steven Sitler to a young woman, after a courtship was set up by an elder of Wilson's church. By the tenets of Wilson's form of Christianity, she'll be expected to obey him and submit to him, considering him the spiritual leader of their family.

I wonder if she will be exempted from the expectation of having children. Lots of children.

http://www.keely-prevailingwinds.com/2011/05/marriage-part-2-with-letter-to-ed.html

Ugh, ugh. There are no words.

This is so vile.

This is not Christianity, really. It's not.

ETA: Douglas Wilson is the editor of Veritas Press' Omnibus. So yes, Wilson/Phillips get mixed up a lot. I've done it, too.

Edited by justamouse

5. When a family from Christ Church came forward because their daughter was molested by another student from St. Andrews within that same time frame, they were not greeted with any compassion nor were they given help but the father was brought up on disciplinary charges before the eldership of Christ Church for not protecting his daughter. According to the eldership, the real sin was that of the father not taking his "protect the family" job seriously enough and he was encouraged to NOT press charges against the perp. Dad pressed charges anyway, the student confessed, and was sentenced to a piddly amount of time.

Faith

The bolded

According to this way of thinking, the REAL sin is that of the pastor and church leadership not protecting their congregation. What kind of shepherd allows predators to prey on his flock?

The bolded

According to this way of thinking, the REAL sin is that of the pastor and church leadership not protecting their congregation. What kind of shepherd allows predators to prey on his flock?

I was thinking the same thing. How does he sleep at night?

I knew about his teachings/writings but I had not heard about the sexual abuse cover-up.

Ages ago, before I knew anything except his promotion of classical education (I had not mentally connected him with the vileness that is Credenda Agenda since I had thrown those away), I bought his Rediscovering the Lost Tools of Learning. I read part, but it's been sitting on my bookshelf. I think it's about time I had a bonfire.

This is so sick, so depraved, so evil, that it is beyond the bounds of my imagination to comprehend. But, let's recap....Wilson has actually made public statements that he would be supportive of capitol punishment for adulterers but for child predators, we'll find you a bride to breed with??????

I know this will be a controversial statement but I'm going to say it anyway...if Doug Wilson lived in my neighborhood I would treat him with the same scrutiny, unease, and guard that I treat those who show up on the s*x offenders list for my community. I would absolutely have to conclude that a man who would harbor, abet, and excuse such a predator, must himself harbor some sort of depravity in his mind that is also a danger to my family. The hive can speculate as to what level of depravity I might suspect him of; I will not say.

It is unconscienable. There is nothing that can be said in defense of his actions.

Faith

This thread has been very eye opening (and nauseating) even to someone who knew about this man before. As far as the Omnibus goes, I *think* I read that Wilson's views have gotten more and more extreme as time went on and that he no longer contributes to the Omnibus? Can anyone confirm this or am I making stuff up? :)

I can't read through 25 threads, but is this the guy associated with Vision Forum in San Antonio?

If so, the only thing I know about him is some alleged fraud in the discovery and making of a documentary about the Allosaurus dino bones. I bought the video and liked it - until I read about controversy. Is this the same guy?

I remember reading about the whole Sitler cover up a while ago. It sickened me then and now I am just :crying: that this man is married and will probably be fathering children (victims?) in a year or so...

Did this girl have no idea about all of this? If I had found out this kind of info about my husband before marrying him, it surely would've been a no go with the marriage!

I can't read through 25 threads, but is this the guy associated with Vision Forum in San Antonio?

If so, the only thing I know about him is some alleged fraud in the discovery and making of a documentary about the Allosaurus dino bones. I bought the video and liked it - until I read about controversy. Is this the same guy?

No, Mary, that would be Doug Phillips with Vision Forum.

This is Doug Wilson with Federal Vision, Credenda Agenda and Christ Church in Moscow, ID.

I know, confusing!!

This thread has been very eye opening (and nauseating) even to someone who knew about this man before. As far as the Omnibus goes, I *think* I read that Wilson's views have gotten more and more extreme as time went on and that he no longer contributes to the Omnibus? Can anyone confirm this or am I making stuff up? :)

Yes, for future reference I am interested in this as well. How tied is he to the company that produces Omnibus?