Menu

Do you use a reward system for school work?

My son is 7 and i'm thinking about implementing a reward system. This summer we did the library reading program and if he read 5 books a week he got a prize. He thrived with that!! He would read all week because he wanted that prize! Now i'm wondering if I should continue with the incentive program?

Any suggestion on what to have as prizes or how you implement it?

When my son was that age, I made a chart, and he could record each hour reading to earn an hour of video games. He wanted a game marathon, so he hoarded the reading hours, filling page after page. I don't think he ever redeemed them all.

When my kids were younger, I'd pay allowance of $1.00 per year of age for 1 weeks worth of school and chores.

I have recently revised this policy. I made each child a chart with what school, cleaning and family work they need to do for the week. I pay all or nothing. Ds missed one math assignment, and lost a week's allowance.

Because of inflation, I now pay $2.00 per year of age, but I'm making my teenagers buy their own clothes, shoes and coffee, so I think I'm really coming out ahead.

On Saturday, they need to be dressed and ready for 5:00 mass. We go out to eat afterwords. If they have done everything on their lists without being reminded, I pay them at dinner.

It sure does make my job easier.

We do, but probably not what you are thinking of. If dd gets her school done within a reasonable time she gets to go to her extra curricular activities. No school = No dance. She had 3 dance classes a week, one martial art and one girl's club.

I just started a sticker chart for DD7 for reading. When she fills the chart (it's about 25 spaces) she gets to pick out of our treasure box. It has small toys, dollar bills, sticker sheets, coloring books, etc.

She's a very struggling reader so I wanted to give her incentive for reading (to me).

Yes, just started it this spring and it worked well to motivate.

It was a chart with 180 boxes (days of school). They got to check off a box when the day's work was done. The kids enjoyed being able to see when school would be done for the year.

In addition, for every 5 days completed they got a small candy. At the quarter, half, 3/4 and finished markers they got $5.

I was desperately tired of motivating with my words. It worked. School got done. They've asked if I'm going to do the chart again next year.

If you want an interesting, thought provoking book on this subject, read "Punished By Rewards" by Alfie Kohn.

We don't do rewards, and come to think of it, we don't do a lot of punishments either, aside from the occasional time out. School is an expectation and chores are just part of being a family member. We show sincere appreciation and my kids get a lot of personal satisfaction from a job well done.

I would use a reward for a specific behavior that I was trying to curb, like fingernail biting or something like that.

I did. You can read about it here. Or I can just tell you. Yeah, I'll tell you. We'd been working on OPGTR for so stinking long and his reading level surpassed where we were in the book, so he didn't want to do it and I didn't have enough time to do it on the white board. So I bought him the Nerf gun he'd been begging for for months and stuck it on the shelf and told him when he finished OPGTR (he had about 90 lessons left) he could have the Nerf gun. The kid was knocking out 20 lessons a day to finish. It slowed down a bit, but finally he got the gun!!! I've told him he can have the bowling set when he finishes the math book. I just scheduled it out and if he does one page a day, he'll finish right before our Christmas break. I've been contemplating doing something else, like a reading program, but we'll see.

The only thing I do by way of rewards (and I second the suggestion to read the book Punished by Rewards prior to implementing any reward system) is that my son has to earn screen time by having a good attitude during lessons.

When my oldest was around 1st grade, we had a reward system. We didn't need it forever, but it served a purpose. :)

I would write out his assignments for the week, including chores and "cheerful worker" for each day, with a check mark by each. There was a goal number of checks for the week -- some number just under the total number of checks, so if he missed a check early in the week, he could still earn the required total. If he met the required total for the week, he got a sticker. Stickers could be turned in for further rewards. (Two stickers might be going out for ice cream, four could be redeemed for going to see a movie... Something like that.) It probably sounds more complicated than it was. ;)

Anyway, it was good and useful for us. And it has not made him rely on rewards as he's gotten older. But it helped develop some good habits. :)

We have a treasure box. Each week when all school is finished, DD picks something from the box.

Sometimes when she wants some small item at the store, I will tell her she can have it for the treasure box. So she doesn't get it right away, she has to wait until the next week of school is finished.

I also really value a good vocabulary. Whenever DD uses an especially vivid or unusual word in a sentence (the sentence has to fit the situation, not be made up) she can get a chocolate (like a hersheys kiss) out of the jar. This applies no matter what time of day it is (even morning!) she she thinks it is really cool!

I agree that before you do it - read just the introduction to Alfie Kohn's Punished by Rewards. I think his ideas are way over the top at times, but I think it's worth reading for balance, if that makes sense.

I don't have a problem with rewards to some extent. I stick stickers on the kids papers sometimes and let them eat the math manipulatives when we finish math (um... did I say math manipulatives... I meant M&M's!). Some rewards are part of life, I think. But I would be really hesitant to set up a whole rewards system because, while I've seen a few kids who really need that sort thing as a behavior modification tool, I think it causes as much negative behavior in many kids as it does positive.

For my kids last fall I did a quarter system. They were finishing their work but they were rushing through it and not making sure answers were correct. They had a chart in which their four major subjects were listed (History, Math, LA and the other one rotated, I think. Then they had extra spots for music practice, and reading that had to be done without exception. They also had to pick two chores at the beginning of the week that had to completed each day and then marked off. When I got home from my job, I would correct their work and if they missed less then 4 problems in each subject, they would earn a quarter for that subject. So, they could earn up to $1.00 a day just for doing their work correctly and it was really to remind that the TTCA - Take Time Check Answers. I also paid them in quarters so they would have to practice adding their money and using their money and math skills. They also seemed to like the way the coins collected-gave them the appearance of having more. The reading, music and chores also had to be done. So, they earned about $5.00 a week if things were done, each. It did seem to work and I found that they paid more attention and took that extra time to check answers before saying they were done. They were also at home doing their work pretty much independently while I was working, so I felt that in this situation it worked.

Good Luck!

And, I agree of course that children need to learn to complete task and do their work and we need to install intrinsic values in doing so. The reward is that it is done, your getting a good education, it's your job, etc. but at the same time I get paid for my work and it was a system that I felt reinforced what I wanted and gave them something to look forward to. They don't expect something for everything, not even close. I will also add that this has been the only time I have done a reward system and it fit a certain time period and now we are done.

Edited by fourcatmom

I don't do rewards systems because I was brought up on them. I had a sticker chart for staying in bed, got M & Ms for learning to use the bathroom, reward chart for getting good grades. And now at age 25, I cannot motivate myself, on my own, to get anything done. Of course, they may not be related...but I've spoken to a few others who feel the same way about their childhoods.

No rewards systems for us. :)

We do have a few reward systems. One is for reading. DD likes to play on the IPad and since she doesn't get to play video games or watch much TV, I allow her to have equal time on the IPad for equal time of reading. She is learning math, too. She will say "Mom, if I read for 60 minutes then I get 60 minutes on the IPad, right?" I don't count books that are below her reading level now like stage 1 books. She has to show me all the books first and she reads in the same room as me. The games she plays on the IPad are all educational except for the cake making one. The other reward system is based on same system that our church school has. For every 100% on tests, the kids got a sticker and for 2 100s they got an icecream or candy bar, 15 100s they got a lunch at a restaurant of their choice. All the kids 100s are posted on a big board and their 100s are announced during church on Sundays. Well, we don't do ice cream or candy bars for 2 100s but I let DD pick out her rewards for every 10 100s. Last year we had movies, $10, roller skating, swimming, lunch with mommy at DD's chosing, etc. We had about 10 categories that she could place her stickers on and fill up that category. DD loved it and worked hard for what she wanted. Although DD's 100s don't get announced at church (homeschooling isn't with the grain there since I pulled her out of the church school to homeschool...but that is another topic!) DD works hard and is proud of every 100 she gets.

My son is 7 and i'm thinking about implementing a reward system. This summer we did the library reading program and if he read 5 books a week he got a prize. He thrived with that!! He would read all week because he wanted that prize! Now i'm wondering if I should continue with the incentive program?

I'm not a fan of incentive systems. Schoolwork is required. If they develop a love of reading, math or science, it won't be because you let them have a lollipop for every ten pages of work.

We do, but probably not what you are thinking of. If dd gets her school done within a reasonable time she gets to go to her extra curricular activities. No school = No dance. She had 3 dance classes a week, one martial art and one girl's club.

We do similar. The other reward systems began feeling like entitlements so we quit.

;)

I don't do rewards systems because I was brought up on them. I had a sticker chart for staying in bed, got M & Ms for learning to use the bathroom, reward chart for getting good grades. And now at age 25, I cannot motivate myself, on my own, to get anything done. Of course, they may not be related...but I've spoken to a few others who feel the same way about their childhoods.

No rewards systems for us. :)

I think that maybe just you. :D I remember -- with joy -- the sticker charts and reward systems of grade school -- all our teachers did them -- the BIG 100 poster from Kindergarden you got to add you name to after you counted correctly to 100 -- the reading catipillers we had each year that you got to add a body part to for each independant book read, the sticker charts that had a sticker for the end of each chaper, the SQRR 9?) system where you worked at your own pace and got to check off thing as you did -- ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh i loved it.

but i do not think in any way it has limited me now, it was fun. made Dean's Honor Roll in college with a sticker chart. I have been very successful at 2 challanging offica jobs, no external sticker chart.

now, ;), I admit an dear love of my day timer and checking items off my to do list :lol:

I am plannign to do something with DS1 this fall -- a sticker a day for good effort and cheefulness? -- to go to a family treasure box or to be exchanged for _____ not sure.

I think it is all in how they are done, how they are presnted.

reading can be a blast, it is a passion of mine, BUT untill you get to the fun level it is hard to see the progress or get an 'intenal high' so i personally see nothing wrong with a start chart, or something, to get over humps ...

just me

The only reward they get is to have a life! LOL! Seriously, we don't do rewards for what is expected. If they choose to not do what is expected, we choose to not let them do the things they want.

I think occasional rewards do have their place. I know I wouldn't mind some now and again! They would be good for something that is a personal struggle for a child or when they've done more than is expected without being asked or told.

This is pretty close to what we do, too. Not just extracurriculars but playdates, parties, and sleepovers as well - friends OR family, I don't discriminate.

I don't have any looming philosophical theory guiding me, I just haven't had to consider a rewards system to motivate my children. I'm inclined to preach that I wouldn't, but in reality who knows what I'd do if my kids weren't motivated under our current system. Desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures.

To add to that, we have set school hours in which teacher is available - to teach, to guide, to correct work, to assist with projects, etc. This came out of my kids daydreaming and stalling, and then expecting me to drop everything to correct their work so they could participate in that evening's extracurricular. This teacher has clockable hours, particularly in the evenings!

It hasn't had to happen, but I've had to remind of the possibility twice in five years -- excessive absences from extracurriculars isn't fair to other team/group members, and on that end my kid's unreliability leaves me loath to consider agreeing to another season/semeseter/year of that extracurricular; I simply won't sink money into a poor investment, and a kid who isn't motivated to complete his work timely enough to respect his other commitments is a poor investment. On a few fronts. Holy run-on sentence, Batman!

So the reward for work done timely and well is an easy-going teacher, and a mom who is happy to fund extracurriculars :D. It'd cost me less to do stickers LOL but I'm way to disorganized to manage something on that scale!

When the girls were younger, I had a reward system. They each had sheet that I made up with five boxes and it said, "I finished all my school work!" They got a sticker each day when they were done, and when they filled up a sheet, they got to pick a prize from the treasure box. I filled it with a lot of little things from Target Dollar Spot and Dollar Tree. I stopped because I kept seeing the same things over and over, nothing new to buy!

I have been struggling with this recently too. I told my husband part of me wishes I was teaching our children what I wanted in a brick and mortar school so that I could use a reward chart and treasure box, giving extra incentive with grades. My children do the work until it is all correct, or they have met the objective in writing and reading.

I did do something last week that provided extra motivation. Both were dragging their feet at finishing the end of their MUS books (Gamma and Beta). I told them, if you finish this work before the rest of the students in our area return to school than you can have the first two weeks of the school year with no paperwork and at least three field trips.

Truth be told, I knew they could do this, they had 4 weeks to finish 3 lessons and 2 lessons as well as the tests. Beta finished in three days, because she already understood the other lessons from our way of life. The Gamma student had 3 lessons and has 3 weeks to finish the last 4 pages and the tests. Both of them are flying because they are motivated by field trips and no paperwork.

I'm not a fan of incentive systems. Schoolwork is required. If they develop a love of reading, math or science, it won't be because you let them have a lollipop for every ten pages of work.

I agree to an extent, but I also think incentives can get any person, kid or adult, past a difficult/tedious spot. Carefully used, I think they can encourage many people to push far past doing what's required. My youngest dd does what's required in math, but she would never explore and play around on her own. An incentive itself won't create a love for math, but the activities she does might lead to it. And more time spent on math can be worthwhile regardless, b/c one does not have to LOVE something to be very good at it and put it to use.

In the 'real world,' look at fundraising and sales: incentives DO work. I've never seen a sales deparment that didn't at least occassionally offer incentives above and beyond "more money." They often serve to keep people focused on a short-term goal, and can create a sense of fun and excitement that is very motivating to many individuals - people will work insanely hard to earn a $20 t-shirt :D

Think about any incentive before offering it. Just as bad behavior often has logical consequences (no need to artificially punish), good behavior often has logical incentives, but you may need to point them out. Working a bit harder and longer M-T might mean all of Friday afternoon can be spent at the park, and so on.

When you do offer artificial incentives:

*make it a stretch goal

*have an ending date

*change them around, and don't *always* have one going

We use a "lottery" system in general, meaning going above and beyond in any arena (kindness, hard work, anything I want to reward) will earn a child a draw of a paper from the "lottery bag" of prize slips. What they get varies from a coin to a new book to choosing the next Netflix choice, watching a video, an ice cream treat, 30 minutes of computer time, etc. They help choose the prize choices that go on the slips so it varies a little every time we print out the slips that go in there.

In regard to school work, extra diligence and effort will often earn the child a lottery choice. For my oldest, that means perhaps that his math is done diligently and without error for the page. For my younger, he is often rewarded for careful attention to neatness on printing and so forth.

I have been thinking about this.

All my own thoughts -- feel free to disregard

I feel the idea of teaching / parenting our children without rewards or artfical incentives is in itself artficial. :lol:

we all have incentives -- they maybe implicant rather than expliciant most of the time, and as adults they are self imposed as often as not.

I clean up dinner and the kitchen before i sit down with a book -- that is self imposed, but i learned it by having the 'SOP' created for me and taught to me.

My Dh is a LEO and he loves his job, but he doesn't do it for the heck of it -- he does it for a pay check. the adult version of a star chart.

I think the fail comes if the incentives are too easy -- my 5 year doesn't need a potty chart, my 3 (almost 4) year has outgrown his too but they loved the excitement of getting to choose a sticker at one time. or if they are more important than the task -- i love my memory of getting my name on the "i can count to 100" poster or the "I can write my full name poster" or checking off another book on my reading list --

I see star charts and posters and so on as a 'fun' thing, a way to make something a bit more visual for a child. a child that makes their bved each day for a month, can't see that accompliment of diligance -- but they can see a full star chart. A child is not going to internalize anything they can't 'see' or stick with long enough.

Peasronally, i do feel some public school over use them. Both our boys are in public preschool at teh local school 2 days a week for all their versious services (DS1 not any more as of this fall). One of the rooms, i felt over used the sticker chart and i did not like how one of the paras would phrase "do not do that, you so not want to loose your sticker do you" and only talked of stickers and not the real reason "do not do that, you could tear Jimmy's picture and that would be rude" ..... but any good tool in life, and parenting, can be abused.

my thoughts :D

I have not used much in the way of incentives with my kids (except for paying for difficult/hated chores, which is a way of getting them done so I don't have to do them!).

HOWEVER... oldest ds had a big ps yearning last year and his bf was in ps at the time (currently in hs! yay), so this year he *requested* a treasure box.

Now, the fact is that the way I implement it is just a way of giving the kids a little treat. There is not really any risk or anything tied to it in reality. I give each kid 5 "penguin bucks" (free online printables) on Friday when they turn in their weekly checklists. We have a prize bag with assigned dollar values. In a way, I'm teaching delayed gratification and money value while giving the kids the feeling that I value their work. Plus, it's one less thing ds feels like he's "missing out on from ps".

No, we have an expectation system - as in, I expect you to do your work obediently and cheerfully. :D

One of our family mottos is - hard work is its own reward.

I do like that -- how do you accomplish it -- i mean with younger kids (think male, 3 and 5 :001_smile:). I use incentive more for the excitment of seeing them, then the 'earning' something -- to see our progress or see what is done vs undone.

Obediently and Cheerfully is something we talk about a lot -- but :confused: I am failing -- i do not know what to do if it is not achieved ...

I just posted about this in another thread so I'll copy/paste what I wrote there:

I don't have prize box but I do have a reward system. They earn a sticker for every subject that they do with a good attitude and without goofing off. They also get a sticker for starting on time. Since I implemented this, I never have to bug them to start school. They come rushing in at 8:30 and say, "I'd like my start-on-time sticker!" We have these little owl notepads that we put the stickers on. Ten stickers to an owl and they can trade owls in for various rewards. Cheaper rewards are things like computer time or Wii time. They can rent a movie and stay up late on Saturday night and eat popcorn. They can buy a book from Amazon for five owls. My ten year old wanted a book from Amazon that was more expensive than the limit I had set for 5 owls, so we talked about it and agreed to 8 owls. She had the money herself but didn't want to spend it, of course. She wanted me to buy it. She did all kinds of extra school this summer to save up the owls and it should be arriving today. I tear the owls in half when they get spent.

I started this about halfway through our school year when the complaining and goofing off was getting completely out of hand. I hoped this would motivate them but I didn't foresee just how much it would motivate them. They haven't earned stickers for every subject because they still goof off and have a bad attitude but not getting a sticker upsets them and makes them work harder on the next subject. So far, it's been really good, though I'm sure we'll want to add in other rewards in the future to keep it interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

My kids LOVE these motivational ideas that I've used.

Last year, we used a ticket system. One good assingment = 1 ticket. Tickets could also be earned for other non academic things...like great attitudes, extra good behavior. I also came up with a reward system: 50 tickets from each kid = Friday Movie Time (during school hours), 10 tickets = you can do your schoolwork in a fort all day. 5 tickets = drink a soda during school. OR 15 tickets = a FREE assignment...the new material needed to be covered, but the assignment (most often used in grammar or math) did not have to be completed. (They were still VERY responsible for the new material...my daughter learned that if she used this option too often, her test scores would suffer.) If I do this again, I'll make the free assignments worth 20 tickets.

One year we used "Beans in a Jar." Fill a baby food jar with beans, they get an agreed upon reward...like a trip to DQ. They could also LOSE beans for bad attitudes/behavior. When I got tired of the beans, we started using decorative glass "stones." The jars became bigger too.

:thumbup:POSSIBLY THE BEST motivator was lighting a votive candle while they were working on schoolwork. This put the emphasis on doing the work and being focused. Each kid had a candle that was "theirs." If they were working on schoolwork, the candle was lit. When they took a break, the candle was blown out. When the candle burned to the bottom (or as close as safely possible,) the agreed upon incentive was earned.

I have a no school=no activities outside the house rule. I also gave my ds a ice cream sundae for finishing RS B. It took him 2 years to finish it. I have yet to do that with any other book.

This year my ds has to show me he can do the work without me sitting next to him in order to take co-op classes.

I have 2 things.

First is the Lollipop tree. I got the idea from here http://meetthedubiens.blogspot.com/2011/06/lollipop-tree.html

DSC_0655%2Bcopy-cs3-blog.jpg

Each day I place the tree on the table. Each day if school work is done without fussing and what not they get to pick from the tree. My kids love this and I have a lot less fussy school days!

I also have a punch card. I have it laminated. Each day I punch for a great successful school day. Or no punch for a troubled day. If my kids try their best and they have a couple whiney slip-ups it's ok for a punch IF they were able to bring themselves back to planet Earth quickly. Once the card is full they get to pick from our treasure box. From this blog!

Picture+7.pngPicture+8.png

This school year I'm instituting....Ta Ta Taaaaaaaa........... (I'm singing:D...need a singing smilie) Wii Bucks!!

I will pass these out for jobs well done academically and otherwise. Probably going to use old Monopoly money which I will enhance so no pilfering old games from the thrift store. (Anyone seen Rodrick Rules. :lol:)

Anyway, my kids are addicted to the Wii. I don't have any money laying around to pay them for chores or buy prizes etc. but we have a Wii (thanks Mom) and free games from the library (WooHoo!) and they are highly motivated to play. Win-win-win :D

I figure 10min. for a B, 30 min. for an A, 60 min. for a 100% for major tests and report cards. Quizzes could be half this.

I'll probably do a one for one ratio for babysitting which my older kids do a fair amount of and all for free. They are super troopers!!

Not sure how to do the regular chores yet, but I surely know that undone chores will LOSE you Wii bucks. Thus far all they've gotten is a strong reprimand. They don't seem to find that very motivating. :glare:

I'll probably reward with books read...like Pizza-Hut book-it only they love Wii way more than pizza. :001_smile: They don't read nearly as much as I would like them too. Probably because we own a Wii. :blushing: I know, I know.

And also for extra chores, like cleaning out dh's gross car. Ooh! Extra Wii bucks for that!

And I think for earning scouting badges too. Things I want to encourage but seem to cause some grumbling.

This summer I just allotted time for the Wii and called it good. I think it's time we EARNED our play time. :D