Menu

Do you like The Railway Children?

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Railway_Children

The story concerns the Waterbury family who move to "Three Chimneys", a house near the railway, after the father who works at the Foreign office, is imprisoned as a result of being falsely accused of selling state secrets to the Russians.

Scroll over to read the spoiler. (Yes, I read the ending first!)

I want to know what happened to the father, but I just can't get into it. It's a really odd book.

I wouldn't judge here books in general by this one; the others are quite different, I think. Some of her stuff is really great and others are a bit slow.

It was performed as a play last summer at Waterloo Station and got rave reviews.

I think it can be a slog, especially with all the Russian info. It's a book that works better with the historical back -story. It picks up. Keep going. It's nice to have that sort of language swirling about.

Just do a chapter at a time, or 1/2 chapter, even. Nesbit is a wonderful writer. You will be rewarded. :)

However. I would not keep reading right now if the kids were really upset. That would defeat the purpose. They might like Nesbit's The Book of Dragons. That was our fav Nesbit. You can always come back to RC.

Edited by LibraryLover

I and all the dc love Nesbit's books. Let me underscore that statement in pentuplicate !

"Oh! my Daddy, my Daddy!" never fails to bring a quick emotional tightening of my chest, whether I be reading the book or watching one of the two available movie versions.

I (we - girls too) LOVE that book. In fact, we LOVE all books by Nesbit. So much so that I am re-reading them for the 3rd time to my twins. Those books along with Wind in the Willows I so look forward to reading. After this go round, I'll have to wait for grandchildren.

I'm not reading it out loud to the kids - I just wanted to know what happened and I thought my 7 yo might want to read it. I'm not sure I could stand reading it to the kids - they might be on their own with this one!

I've been reading it a chapter at a time at most. I'm about halfway through.