Menu

Anyone else shocked by character in Cars 2?

Haven't seen the movie yet (is it even out yet?) but we bought my toddler Cars 2 fruit snacks to use in potty training, and I just read the side of the box today to figure out which color was which character (since he always wants to know)...

Did you know one of the characters names is Holley Shiftwell? Was that really necessary to encourage kids going around saying plays on swear words just cause it's funny? Or to make parents laugh? Makes kids think it's not so bad to "upgrade" to the real words. Not the end of the world, but still, there are so many more wholesome things for kids to joke about. Makes me want to not go see the movie despite my son being totally into Cars.

Am I being too sensitive?

Haven't seen the movie yet (is it even out yet?) but we bought my toddler Cars 2 fruit snacks to use in potty training, and I just read the side of the box today to figure out which color was which character (since he always wants to know)...

Did you know one of the characters names is Holley Shiftwell? Was that really necessary to encourage kids going around saying plays on swear words just cause it's funny? Or to make parents laugh? Makes kids think it's not so bad to "upgrade" to the real words. Not the end of the world, but still, there are so many more wholesome things for kids to joke about. Makes me want to not go see the movie despite my son being totally into Cars.

Am I being too sensitive?

Is it spelled "Holley"? Then I'd think they say it like the shrub -- "Holly." Are you sure it's a play on words?

There was that Piston Cup joke in Cars 1 ("he did what in his cup?") So I guess I wouldn't be surprised. But the phrase "holy sh*it" is quite a bit more vulgar in my book than p*ss. If that was their intention, I'm disappointed.

I didn't take it as a play on a curse word. I took it as a play on the old Bond girl names.

:iagree: The whole movie is a play on old Bond movies from what I can tell from the Legos and trailers. (I spent the first part of my ride to FL today helping my 4 year old assemble Cars2 Legos.)

Question: doesn't Holley make other stuff? I thought they also made after-market paddle shifters?

My first car was a '67 Mustang, but it has been a long time since I was involved in that world.

Eta: I do completely agree that Holley is most famous for carbs.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

As the proud owner of a muscle car - 64 1/2 Mustang vert :D I can tell you HOLLEY is the brand name of a performance carburetor!! Vroom! Vroom! (8 barrel of course!)

I didn't take it as a play on a curse word. I took it as a play on the old Bond girl names.

Okay. Now I get it. Whew...thanks for straightening me out. :D

One of those cases where you take it out of context...

Question: doesn't Holley make other stuff? I thought they also made after-market paddle shifters?

My first car was a '67 Mustang, but it has been a long time since I was involved in that world.

Eta: I do completely agree that Holley is most famous for carbs.

You are right, they make other parts. My son had to beg me to switch out my original carb for a Holley.

Do you still have your 67? My son has a 67 and a 68 - those are his favorites ... I have eyes only for the 64.5's :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

As the proud owner of a muscle car - 64 1/2 Mustang vert :D I can tell you HOLLEY is the brand name of a performance carburetor!! Vroom! Vroom! (8 barrel of course!)

First thing that popped into my head due to the spelling.

No need for it to be a swear word. Just give your kids a quick briefing on the aftermarket performance parts industry. :001_smile:

Oh, and pics please!! A Mustang is even better than men in kilts. Really.

:D

First thing that popped into my head due to the spelling.

No need for it to be a swear word. Just give your kids a quick briefing on the aftermarket performance parts industry. :001_smile:

Oh, and pics please!! A Mustang is even better than men in kilts. Really.

:D

Oh, we can create a calendar. Firefighters in kilts, a hot guy in a kilt draped over a classic Mustang...

Oh, we can create a calendar. Firefighters in kilts, a hot guy in a kilt draped over a classic Mustang...

Okay, now you're talkin'! (As long as he doesn't block the view of the car too much. :D)

Oh I just LOVE when I am asked to show off baby pictures!! :lol: here is my baby:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31252828&l=724fedf44d&id=1178844016

Nice! And it's not red! :w00t:

Here is my contribution.

I wish I still had one of my Mustangs. None were ever what you'd call a collectible, but I was working my way up! I bought a pastel yellow 66 hardtop (It was dismantled. I had high hopes of reassembling it, restoring it as I went.) for a song right before I got married. Through a series of unfortunate events, some of the best parts ended up scrapped and I just sold off the rest in frustration. It would have looked something like this (that color anyway...):

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/showcar.cgi?type=lot&pic=/1966/1966_00143_04

Now I'm driving a Chevy. And I love it. :o

I will own another Mustang someday. I will!

Maybe I'll buy one to work on with my daughter. Neither of my older two boys is interested in cars. :001_huh: (Where DID they come from??) My oldest wouldn't even recognize a classic Mustang. I have failed him. :tongue_smilie:

As the wife of an owner of a business that builds mustang engines, I must say I am impressed by the car people here.

We have a blue 66 coupe! (fueled by a Holley tri-power).

And my children got to ride in a Shelby a couple of weeks ago! (we were at a car show and a friend let them in his car. While we were there, some "car guy" was looking at an engine in a car--I sauntered up to him and talked about the motor--then I told him I ported the cylinder heads he was looking at. His jaw dropped. It was fun.

I thought Bond girl and Holley parts when I read it too. Indy "has" a 69 Mustang Convertible. Actually, my stepdad has it and is working to restore it (which is how I know about Holley). They've promised it to Indy when he turns 16. I'm thinking not. I'm thinking they can give it to me, but certainly not a 16 year old. Though the car is pretty solid, so it is probably safer than many cars on the road today. Still, though, you can't waste all that car goodness on a 16 year old. BTW, it's not red, it's some weird shade of black that looks blue from certain angles. It is actually the original color.

Having said that (about wasting it on a teenager), my BFF from high school got a 64 1/2 Mustang our senior year. She still has it and I have fond memories of a bunch of us piled into it in our Catholic school uniforms cruising around flirting with boys. ;)

Do you think we could get Johnny Depp to pose with a Mustang for the calendar? Maybe in a kilt?

We just got home from watching it. I have never seen the Bond movies so I'm not sure about that reference, but I definately didn't take the name to be a play on a curse word. I also didn't read the reviews before we went but I agree with the pp who mentioned Big Oil. It was so over the top that I actually said out loud "Are you kidding me?!". :glare:

You are right, they make other parts. My son had to beg me to switch out my original carb for a Holley.

Do you still have your 67? My son has a 67 and a 68 - those are his favorites ... I have eyes only for the 64.5's :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

No, we eventually discovered that the frame was bent in such a way that made it impossible to fix completely. :(

We just got home from watching it. I have never seen the Bond movies so I'm not sure about that reference' date=' but I definately didn't take the name to be a play on a curse word. I also didn't read the reviews before we went but I agree with the pp who mentioned Big Oil. It was so over the top that I actually said out loud "Are you kidding me?!". :glare:[/quote']

Agreed! We just saw it, and it was over the top. I have a bias: many in my family work in the energy industry. So, when I see "evil Big Oil," my feathers get a bit ruffled.

But even more unforgiving, it really dragged on. It was not up to the usual Pixar standards. I could tell the audience was not interested in the movie because there was a lot of shifting and moving in the seats, which I blame on the convoluted story. My kids really didn't understand the plot, but they really enjoyed the mild potty humor.

Midway through, I turned to my husband and gave it two thumbs down.

While we were there, some "car guy" was looking at an engine in a car--I sauntered up to him and talked about the motor--then I told him I ported the cylinder heads he was looking at. His jaw dropped. It was fun.

Nice!

BTW... this IS still a homeschool forum, right? For a minute I thought I had wandered into some forum that my hubby would frequent! :001_huh: :D

Nice!

BTW... this IS still a homeschool forum, right? For a minute I thought I had wandered into some forum that my hubby would frequent! :001_huh: :D

Well, we are a varied and very resourceful bunch! :D

Getting married and settling down caused me to abandon my car hobby (Hubby wasn't into it. He's a machinist by trade, and the last thing he wants to do in his free time is mess any kind of machine. Too bad. His skills sure could come in handy!). Maybe I can devise some way homeschooling can lead us back to it. Hmmm....

Here's our baby. This is our 4th Mustang, I think. DH sold his 66 Fastback to get enough money to buy this little coupe and get me a new minivan. We LOVE this car!

Nice 66 Coupe! Sorry about the fastback. I woulda kept it (and walked everywhere lol!) - it holds it's value much better than a minivan :001_huh:

As the wife of an owner of a business that builds mustang engines, I must say I am impressed by the car people here.

We have a blue 66 coupe! (fueled by a Holley tri-power).

And my children got to ride in a Shelby a couple of weeks ago! (we were at a car show and a friend let them in his car. While we were there, some "car guy" was looking at an engine in a car--I sauntered up to him and talked about the motor--then I told him I ported the cylinder heads he was looking at. His jaw dropped. It was fun.

Lara, how very cool you get to work on engines! My son and I rebuilt my Mustangs original 260 V8 :001_smile: Recently, he found two 351 Windsor engines for $200 and a 1967 fastback that had been in storage in CA for over 20 years. It is full of rust he has to fix/replace - but he loves that he is the 2nd owner.

I had one of these in high school (only it wasn't a convertible). Three speed 260 engine. It was a fast machine, and it looked good, too. Unfortunately, I totaled it in college and cried for weeks. (Really.) I still think of that car.