Menu

If your child's name translated badly into another culture

Would you want to know? What would you do about it? I know of a teenager who is moving to the UK who's name is 'Fanny'. This is the normal word here for the female pudenda. It's not used as a name any longer. I can't imagine that she will not get a lot of teasing.

ETA: this is not a new usage of the word. My older cousin is called Frances, and her innocent mother used to call her Fanny. Once she reached teenage years, she chose to be Frances and nothing else. My aunt, still innocent, then adopted a kitten and named it 'Fanny', to the embarrassment of the rest of the family.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

I would not be concerned about random connotations in other cultures I could not care less about or have less contact with, but if it were cultures that were close, that we are in touch with or that the chances are they might be in touch with, yes, I would take it into account.

If we were going to be in a culture where my child's name meant or sounded like something awful, I would definitely want to know. And yes, we would likely call them by their middle name or something.

I worked with a very nice lady who had immigrated from Vietnam. Her first name was Bich, pronounced just like you think it is. Of course she couldn't go around having people call her that, so she went by her middle name, Loan, pronounce Loh-ahn. I think she even added an "n", so spelled it Loann for culture-adaption purposes.

Yes, I'd want to know. We had a friend the last time we lived in Germany who had a Mexican father and a German mother. He was fluent in English, Spanish and German (lucky guy). His first name is Jose, which is a perfectly common name in Spanish (and his father's name), but in German (spelled hose, but pronounced the same as Jose) it means "pants." When he is in Germany, he uses his middle name (Andrew) because he doesn't want people calling him "Pants."

DS's name can sound very very rude in Dutch, so when we lived there he used his middle name and continues to use it whenever we're using Dutch. It was quite easy, he is very used to having an English name used when speaking English and a Dutch name when speaking Dutch. He even use a version of his Dutch name when speaking French because it's easier.

I would definitely want to know!!

Apparently my uncle's wife's Thai name is Rat. Here she goes by Sandra.

I had no idea that "fanny" meant that! We say "fanny" to mean your rear end, bottom, hiney, etc. During homeschool, I tell dd7 about 50x per day, "Sit on your fanny!" :lol:

Yes, that is the meaning in the U.S. for that slang term. I neither use it nor care for it, but I never would have suspected it was a foul term in Europe!

Could the girl use "Frances", which I'm guessing is her real name?

I had noo idea that "fanny" meant that! We say "fanny" to mean your rear end, bottom, hiney, etc. " :lol:

Yes, that is the meaning in the U.S. for that slang term. I neither use it nor care for it, but I never would have suspected it was a foul term in Europe!

Could the girl use "Frances", which I'm guessing is her real name?

It's not Europe, it's the UK, Australia, NZ, South Africa and probably some other Commonwealth nations.

Is this person from the US? Because the word fanny has the same meaning here.

Noooo it doesn't. I the US it means butt. In the UK etc it means the private bits of a female anatomy.

Fanny is butt in the US, the other side in the UK. :P

One of my friends said he had a guy in his high school named Phuc Yu. After the first day, the kid started introducing himself as something generic and American. I forgot what it was, like Steven or something.

I can't imagine that she will not get a lot of teasing.

Laura

Probably not teasing, but stunned silence. There's a Spanish nickname, Cuca, which means the same thing as Fanny in Venezuela. Let's just say that introducing yourself that way is horrifying for all concerned. Thankfully, it's a nickname and the lady who had this misfortune went by her full name ever after.

We had a foreign exchange student who had a dog named b**by. You can imagine the fun the boys had with that!:glare:

Yes! I would definitely tell. She could at least wear a mental coat of armor, if she didn't want to be called something else. Better you tell her than some humiliating situation causing her to find out.