Menu

Favorite non-fiction books? Looking for new ideas!

Guns, Germs, and Steel.

(how geography influences culture-- it won prizes)

A Pirate of Exquisite Mind

(biography of an man in an interesting time)

The Confident Hope of a Miracle

(The Economist said it was the first new important work on the Armada since 1959, and has more about the Spanish side than most histories. I wish it was twice as long)

The Landmark Thucydides

(thick prose but amazing-

it is true there is nothing new under the sun-

try reading it slowly, aloud)

I just got a book from the library and started reading it last night. We've been watching the old Little House series and so this book showed up on my radar. It's Nellie Oleson's story http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Prairie-*****-Survived-Learned/dp/0061962147/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1307891712&sr=1-2

So far, it's a bit like The Glass Castle. Wow. It's very disturbing what her life was like. I've only gotten through a quarter of the book, but wow.

I love this thread :D.

Haven't finished it yet, but I've really enjoyed reading The Facebook Effect.

This looks interesting, but I'll have to first overcome my loathing of the FB guy ... I started watching the movie about him, and couldn't tolerate more than 20 or so minutes. :glare:

Guns, Germs, and Steel.

(how geography influences culture-- it won prizes)

Added this to my wish list. :)

Been meaning to read this for a while.

I just got a book from the library and started reading it last night. We've been watching the old Little House series and so this book showed up on my radar. It's Nellie Oleson's story http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Prairie-*****-Survived-Learned/dp/0061962147/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1307891712&sr=1-2

So far, it's a bit like The Glass Castle. Wow. It's very disturbing what her life was like. I've only gotten through a quarter of the book, but wow.

This looks great. Dh thinks I should read it, since I really, really have a problem with her every time we watch these. ;)

We do enjoy watching the interview with her at the end of the series. She was nothing like the character. Phenomenal actress.

I love The Geography of Bliss.

the_geography_of_bliss.jpg

Humorous, insightful, and right-on. Have read this twice. Love it. :D

Also love:

Food Rules

Malcolm Gladwell books

The Anti-Cancer Book – great overall health book not just for those concerned about cancer, and full of hope and action

Man’s Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl – best self-help book ever, fabulous

Dave Barry’s books for fun

Confessions of an Economic Hit Man – very interesting and a real eye-opener

My favorites:

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford (& I want to read his newer book about the Mongol Queens)

Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer

books by A. J. Jacobs (so funny, imo)

Fatu-Hiva by Thor Heyerdahl (now I want to read all of his other books)

Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley and Livingstone by Martin Dugard

Passionate Nomad: The Life of Freya Stark by Jane Fletcher Geniesse

The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester

Waiting for Snow in Havana by Carlos Eire (I also want to read his new follow-up to this book)

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

1776 by David McCollough

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt

City of Thieves by David Benioff (not really non-fiction, but it is based off of his grandfather's memories/life during the Siege of Leningrad; still, a really great book)

Dancer by Colum McCann (this is not really non-fiction because it's a fictionalized biography Rudolf Nureyev but I'm still adding it to the list because I enjoyed it)

Not favorites, but still very good & quite interesting:

Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel

Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Live in the Void by Mary Roach

A Voyage Long and Strange by Tony Horwitz

I Have America Surrounded: A Biography of Timothy Leary by John Higgs

Iron & Silk by Mark Salzman

The Lost City of Z by David Graham

Marco Polo: From Venice to Xanadu by Laurence Bergreen

ETA: You may also want to check out National Geographic's list of the 100 Greatest Adventure Books of All Time

Edited by Stacia

Loving this thread!

I recently read and enjoyed:

Tom Vanderbilt, Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do

Meghan Daum, Life Would Be Perfect if I Lived in That House (her earlier book of essays, My Misspent Youth, is an all-time favorite)

David Roberts, On the Ridge Between Life and Death

Here's a list that I've recently finished and my own star rating (based on a maximum of 5 stars):

Just Kids *** -- well written, but I found little to like about Patty or Robert

This Life is in Your Hands *** - if you are at all into Organic Farming and have fantasized about homesteading, read this

Albion's Seed ***** -- thought I knew so much about American history, until I read this masterpiece which ties it all together in a neat, geographical package. Great book

Salvation on Sand Mountain, Snake Handling and Redemption in Southern Appalachia ** 1/2 I give it this many stars because I do feel I learned something about Snake Handling. But... it was poorly written in my view and really should have gotten 1 star for the writer's lack of talent

The Lost City of Z *** 1/2 -- a real page turner and I learned so much about exploring the Amazon

The Genius in All of Us **** -- as must read for any homeschooler, in my opinion

Zeitoun *****- - superbly written. And about so much more than just Katrina, though you learn so much about that catastrophe. I still can't believe this happened in the United States.

Earrth **** 1/2-- I keep talking about this to everyone I know, so to me, that's a sign that it's a great book. And it leaves you with hope

I also agree with those who recommended Gladwell's books and Tony Horowitz's books. I think Confederates in the Attic is a must-read

Margaret

What a great thread! Although, I really don't need more books to read.

Some non-fiction that I've recently read/am reading:

Biting the Wax Tadpole

In the Land of Invented Languages

How Language Works

Coming of Age in the Milky Way

Packing for Mars

This is Not a Book

The Philosophy Book

Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar

At Home: A Short History of Private Life I also loved Bill Bryson's Short History of Nearly Everything which has already been mentioned several times.

Mere Christianity

Stephen Fry in America I also highly recommend Stephen Fry's Incomplete and Utter History of Classical Music

I really enjoy anything by an Irish author called Dervla Murphy. She writes about trekking through countries either on foot or riding a horse, mule or bicycle. She's an older woman and has a lot of very interesting things to say. I don't always see eye to eye with her on politics - she has some strong opinions- but very interesting and I've reread several of them several times.

I found this so interesting too, but the chapter on children (bedroom?) was heartbreaking.

I haven't gotten to that chapter yet, but I've learned so much from every page of this book ("At Home: A Short History of Private Life" by Bill Bryson).

Great thread -- I love nonfiction!

~Laura

I am Jackie Chan by (ahem) Jackie Chan. He had a weird childhood!

Inside the Victorian Home by Judith Flanders This is about everyday life in Victorian times. The book centers around the home, so it tells you what they ate (kitchen) how they entertained (parlor), etc. It is fascinating and reads like a storybook. Not dry at all.

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

Love the non-fiction books by Erik Larson. They are absorbing!

I just got In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin. So far so good.

One of my favorites from the year has been How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had it Coming, by Mike Brown. Pretty fast and entertaining read.

The story of Henrietta Lacks was also very good. I enjoyed that although it took longer to read than I thought it would.

One of my favorites from the year has been How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had it Coming, by Mike Brown. Pretty fast and entertaining read.

Oh, I heard an interesting interview w/ the author earlier this year on NPR. That book has been on my 'want to read' list ever since. Unfortunately, my library doesn't carry it, so I'm on a PaperbackSwap waiting list....

Unfortunately, my library doesn't carry it, so I'm on a PaperbackSwap waiting list....

My library does....it's my 13th book waiting in my library queue...Really, guys--no more! I don't think I can stop myself from coming back here for more ideas of books to put on hold at the library...

must resist....

Dang it. Now I've got 12 books on hold at the library, all within a 20 minute time period.

Stop adding more books to this thread!!

Can you put a 'hold' on your requests? Our library system lets us delay getting a requested book for up to a month. I find that very helpful when I request a bunch of stuff at once, but would prefer to get it over a spread-out time period so I actually have a chance to read what I requested. I leave a couple of books for immediate request, a couple to come up for request in a week or two, and the remainder to be held in a month.... ;):lol:

Can you put a 'hold' on your requests? Our library system lets us delay getting a requested book for up to a month. I find that very helpful when I request a bunch of stuff at once, but would prefer to get it over a spread-out time period so I actually have a chance to read what I requested. I leave a couple of books for immediate request, a couple to come up for request in a week or two, and the remainder to be held in a month.... ;):lol:

Oh, now that's clever! I wonder if they can do that at my library? I'm going to research that--thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

How did I miss this the first time around? :confused:

Anyway here are some of my favourites that I have read this year so far.

Decision Points by George Bush

All That is Bitter and Sweet by Ashley Judd

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

Passionate Minds by David Bodanis (about Voltaire)

Young Romantics by Daisy Hay (about Percy and Mary Shelley)

The History of the World in 6 Glasses (I think that is the title) by Tom Standage

The Edible History of Humanity by Tom Standage