Menu

I have a confession to make...

Me too. :D

I judge by content. The prettiest book on the shelf is garbage if the content is nothing but twaddle. Conversely, the ugliest book on the shelf is a treasure if the content is a joy to experience.

When choosing from the thousands of books on a store's shelves that one hasn't read, how would one choose by content?

I sooooooooo do not know how to take that! :confused: Obviously, I am choosing not to judge this thread by it's cover. ;)

LOL, I'm actually talking about books! I'm drawn to the cover first, content second. If I buy a book with a cover I hate I will often allow it to languish and avoid picking it up. Dumb, but there you have it.

yeah, me too. Also by their titles. I hate that I do this, though. There are books I have read as an adult that I passed over for so long earlier in life because The cover/title just didn't do it for me. And they turn out to be amazing books. Enter my kindle. One reason I love it is because I can read a book non judgmentally. I'm not stressed because of how thick it is, or by any expectations based on the cover artwork or anything. It's been a very good experience.

Me, too! I'm going through the Outlander series and all of the covers so far look like this (which I like).

Picture+1.png

So I go to pick up Voyager (#3) from the library and its cover is this:

th_0440217563.jpg

Yuck! When dh saw the cover, I got an eyebrow raise. I had to swear that it wasn't as terrible as the cover seemed!

Sometimes you have to read the TOC, the first few pages, some pages in the middle and the last few to get a better idea of whether the book is worth purchasing.

Yes. I will admit that while I do judge covers (NO movie tie-in covers, thankyouverymuch), I most often choose a book based on reviews or comments by friends and family.

Ha. For a second I thought this was going to be a discussion about Victoria's Secret or some other type of fancy book covers. :lol:

:lol:

Bwahahahahah.

I hadn't read the OP's signature when I replied, so I didn't realize *he* may be talking about booK covers, not book covers. :)