Menu

Arnold has a love child

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe that this topic is so much more active than some of the others. I was looking through new posts and this one just keeps cropping up. I have not gone through to see opinions, but I think I have more important things to worry about! :001_huh:

I can't believe that this topic is so much more active than some of the others. I was looking through new posts and this one just keeps cropping up. I have not gone through to see opinions, but I think I have more important things to worry about! :001_huh:

I'm just happy that you took the time to let us know! That's so important to all of us here at WTM! :grouphug: If there is anything else we can do to make your stay more pleasant, please! don't hesitate to PM one of us!

First question of course is was this child conceived and born in California? Arnie has only been Gov for 2 terms, so it’s possible the laws of another state would prevail.

California paternity law can be very complicated and also very different from many other states.

First, a man is "conclusively presumed" to be the father of a child if he is both married to and cohabiting with the mother, as long as he is not sterile or impotent. As I recall the article, it was acknowledged at the mother was married at the time….but were they living together or separated?

In law, a "conclusive" presumption usually means that it cannot be rebutted. But this presumption actually can be rebutted, within two years of the child's birth, with blood tests showing that the husband is not the biological father of the child. That's why many divorces also include paternity testing for very young children....just to be sure that Dad doesn't pay 18 years of support for a child that isn't his...it's also a tactic to humiliate the Wife. And sadly, the court condones it by always overruling objections that no infidelity has been accused. Nice eh?

Since we can probably presume that if Hubby had found out 8 years ago, he’d wouldn’t have been quiet about it….it sounds like Arnie is off the hook legally as far as supporting the child, or of having himself declared the legal father. And it also means that the child will have an uphill battle being declared an heir. Of course, I fully expect the Husband and child to file suits about emotional distress and maybe even Mom….so that Arnie has to pay someone for something. I'm sure the scuz attorney's are already doing their research. And Arnie will likely pay, if for nothing else than to make it all go away. Poor poor Arnie (do we have a sarcasm icon?).

Thanks, Connie. I appreciate your response.

:iagree: It's not our business, nor our right to pass judgement. Plenty of us screw up-it just doesn't show up all over the media!

If your dh fathered a child with another woman and kept it a secret for at least a decade you can be sure this would be HUGE news in YOUR world. It just so happens when you are a Kennedy/Movie Star/Politician your 'world' is just much bigger.

As far as passing judgment....I am pretty sure that adultery and deception have already been judged by God as Sins.

As far as passing judgment....I am pretty sure that adultery and deception have already been judged by God as Sins.
An action being judged by God as a sin is different than people deciding what an innocent mate should do or should have done (pretty sure that isn't scripturally encouraged), not showing a spirit of forgiveness years later when someone is showing remorse for their sin, judging other people for having committed those sins (which is judged by God as a sin), and on top of judging them... gossiping about it (which is also judged by God as a sin). Edited by Lovedtodeath

An action being judged by God as a sin is different than people deciding what an innocent mate should do or should have done (pretty sure that isn't scripturally encouraged), not showing a spirit of forgiveness years later when someone is showing remorse for their sin, judging other people for having committed those sins (which is judged by God as a sin), and on top of judging them... gossiping about it (which is also judged by God as a sin).

I hardly think that any one on this board is going to influence Maria to leave Arnold---or rather to go back to him-- she has already left him anyway....5 months ago. I wouldn't tell a person asking me that they should or should not forgive their cheating mate.

It is not gossiping to have an opinion about a story plastered all over the media. It isn't like I sold the story to TMZ.

Not showing a spirit of forgiveness? I don't think any of us need to forgive or not forgive Arnold for anything he has done. I don't even know him! If his wife wants to forgive him that is her business....I am sure she will have her own yardstick for determining if he is truly remorseful...personally IF I was her the whole part about keeping the lie up for ten years would be a deal breaker (and was) for me.

I hardly think that any one on this board is going to influence Maria to leave Arnold---or rather to go back to him-- she has already left him anyway....5 months ago. I wouldn't tell a person asking me that they should or should not forgive their cheating mate.

It is not gossiping to have an opinion about a story plastered all over the media. It isn't like I sold the story to TMZ.

Not showing a spirit of forgiveness? I don't think any of us need to forgive or not forgive Arnold for anything he has done. I don't even know him! If his wife wants to forgive him that is her business....I am sure she will have her own yardstick for determining if he is truly remorseful...personally IF I was her the whole part about keeping the lie up for ten years would be a deal breaker (and was) for me.

Good points.

Oh and Scarlett, my intention was not to lecture you. I was responding to the general attitude of the entire thread. I am sorry it came across as directed at you.

Oh good....I thought I was in trouble with you. :)

I'm only a couple years out of a similar situation that involved my cousin and my now XH. In that case too there was a rumor...I confronted them both...and confronted my now XH several more times over the next 7 years. They both flatly denied there was ANY truth to what I had been told. I used to lie in bed and pray to find a way to confirm or refute the story.

My prayer was answered. In my wildest dreams I could not imagine having more hard and fast proof. I am still AMAZED at how much clarity I was given. 7 years worth of LIES to my face. How could anyone every get over that? I know some women do, but I honestly can't grasp it. The adultery could have been a mistake.....people do sin....but the covering up and outright LIE for so long is what makes it so much more WRONG to me.

And OK, it's even worse. The child is 13, not 10, and the mother and Maria were pregnant at the same time.

What a cad.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/entertainment-eonline/20110518/b242558/

Did you see the part where the mother and boy were often seen at the home? That she was a trusted staff member? Can you imagine how Maria and her kids feel looking back on the last 13 years? Sickening. And sickening for the poor boy....how must he feel?

I saw one report that Arnold wasn't told until the boy was 'a toddler'....but even if he didn't know he fathered the boy he DID know he slept with a staff member that he continued to employ. Ugh. He should have fessed up and they should have got rid of her....even if it cost them....monetarily and/publicity speaking.

The whole thing makes me sick.

If your dh fathered a child with another woman and kept it a secret for at least a decade you can be sure this would be HUGE news in YOUR world. It just so happens when you are a Kennedy/Movie Star/Politician your 'world' is just much bigger.

:iagree:

It sucks that this information had to go public. It's really none of our business. I feel sad for their family.

:iagree: Aside from wondering how his kids are taking all of this sudden gossipy scrutiny, I really couldn't care less who he impregnates. I don't even know why this is news.

:iagree: Aside from wondering how his kids are taking all of this sudden gossipy scrutiny, I really couldn't care less who he impregnates. I don't even know why this is news.

It is interesting in a shocking train wreck kind of way.

Not often in my world do men get a woman (he isn't married to and who is married to someone else) pregnant and then keep it secret for over 10 years.

It is news because it is so shocking to (most) people.

It is interesting in a shocking train wreck kind of way.

Not often in my world do men get a woman (he isn't married to and who is married to someone else) pregnant and then keep it secret for over 10 years.

It is news because it is so shocking to (most) people.

Scarlett, I realize you have a sore spot for this kind of thing, and rightly so, but I still don't think it is newsworthy, nor should we get self-righteous over something like this. Plainly put, it is none of our business. I'm getting weary of all the celebrity smut that gets trotted out in the guise of "news." It's not news. It's gossip.

And, I just don't care.

I'm just happy that you took the time to let us know! That's so important to all of us here at WTM! :grouphug: If there is anything else we can do to make your stay more pleasant, please! don't hesitate to PM one of us!

Wow, really? So, my saying that I have better things to concern myself with than Arnie's love child was that offensive? Sorry, but I have a right to my own opinion on the matter too.

Other people's lives are just that... other people's lives. It is awful that this affair is played out in the public because there are several kids involved who are going to be reading things like what we here are posting in forums and on bogs. They did not ask for it, and do not deserve the fall out. As for me, I feel more need to make sure that I am doing the things that I need to be doing and representing that to my son.

Didn't mean to ruffle feathers.

Wow, really? So, my saying that I have better things to concern myself with than Arnie's love child was that offensive? Sorry, but I have a right to my own opinion on the matter too.Other people's lives are just that... other people's lives. It is awful that this affair is played out in the public because there are several kids involved who are going to be reading things like what we here are posting in forums and on bogs. They did not ask for it, and do not deserve the fall out. As for me, I feel more need to make sure that I am doing the things that I need to be doing and representing that to my son.

Didn't mean to ruffle feathers.

Well, it was kinda like you were saying those of us who are OBSESSED with it are dumb.

Hmmm.....maybe I am.....dumb. And obsessed.

Scarlett, I realize you have a sore spot for this kind of thing, and rightly so, but I still don't think it is newsworthy, nor should we get self-righteous over something like this. Plainly put, it is none of our business. I'm getting weary of all the celebrity smut that gets trotted out in the guise of "news." It's not news. It's gossip.

And, I just don't care.

:iagree: Well said! :)

And, I just don't care.

Well said.

The only thing that shocks me in Hollywood anymore is when a couple actually *does* stay together for a lifetime. You couldn't pay me enough money to get wrapped up in acting, movies, and politics. Seems it's only a recipe for disaster with majority of Hollywood families.

thank God I wasn't drinking as I read this.

:lol::lol::lol:

Well, it was kinda like you were saying those of us who are OBSESSED with it are dumb.

Hmmm.....maybe I am.....dumb. And obsessed.

No, just wondering why it seems so fascinating to everyone. For you, I understand the personal connection now... but it has been all over the news for the last few days, and we have wars going on and people dying and so many other crazy things to deal with.

FWIW, sorry for what you went through, I cannot imagine that kind of betrayal. :grouphug:

The only thing that shocks me in Hollywood anymore is when a couple actually *does* stay together for a lifetime. You couldn't pay me enough money to get wrapped up in acting, movies, and politics. Seems it's only a recipe for disaster with majority of Hollywood families.

I was talking to my dh about this last night...we were watching Dancing with the Stars and they highlighted Karate Kid's life....looks like he has been married to the same woman since he was a kid and been very involved in their kid's life and appears to be a nice man/husband/father. Is that news? No. I never knew anything about him.

I think someone should start highlighting faithful men and women. That would be interesting to watch I think.

I was talking to my dh about this last night...we were watching Dancing with the Stars and they highlighted Karate Kid's life....looks like he has been married to the same woman since he was a kid and been very involved in their kid's life and appears to be a nice man/husband/father. Is that news? No. I never knew anything about him.

I think someone should start highlighting faithful men and women. That would be interesting to watch I think.

And OK, it's even worse. The child is 13, not 10, and the mother and Maria were pregnant at the same time.

What a cad.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/entertainment-eonline/20110518/b242558/

I agree.

I think people talk about these things because it reflects on our own lives. We all know some wife who left her dh because he was messing around (or vice versa).

Here is what I don't understand about cheaters. If you don't want to be married, if you want to sleep with anything in a skirt, that's your life. But, I should have a choice on whether I want it to be my life. That's what sucks. It's like the song from The Clash, "if you don't want me, let me go."

Really? You don't think it's newsworthy? Interesting. I wonder if all the people who donated money, campaigned, and voted for him for governor feel the same way? Not to mention all the kids who looked up to him as action star/big-time politician.

Are we not supposed to care any more when a well-known public figure cheats on his wife and fathers a love-child with another woman? Sorry, that just doesn't fly in my world.

Really? You don't think it's newsworthy? Interesting. I wonder if all the people who donated money, campaigned, and voted for him for governor feel the same way? Not to mention all the kids who looked up to him as action star/big-time politician.

Are we not supposed to care any more when a well-known public figure cheats on his wife and fathers a love-child with another woman? Sorry, that just doesn't fly in my world.

Having a child who is a very good golfer and looked to Tiger Woods as a role model? I'd say it was very newsworthy.

Sadly our kids have to learn that people don't always conduct themselves with honor in their lives though they will pretend they do. And if we can't trust them to stay faithful to the vow they made to their spouse then how in the heck can we trust anything that comes out of their mouths?

In Woods case I never cared for his on course swearing and club throwing anyway. But in Arnie's case he made decisions as Gov that affected a lot of people. I want to know if his word is worth anything.

I'm thinking it isn't.

Salon

That's mighty nice of him -- a sense of duty reflected over 10 years ago, when his child was likely an infant, and the then-action star discussed what he referred to as "the parenting problem" with Salon. "The parents are the single most important influence on a child, followed by education and the peer group," he told Christina Valhouli. "The number of single parents in the U.S. has quadrupled since the '60s, and there has also been an increase in violence and school shootings. All that stuff has increased largely because of a lack of parenting, and many households only have one biological parent -- so many of them are fatherless. It really creates a big problem."

Fortunately for the young Schwarzenegger offspring, it appears the kid had the kind of stable nuclear family the Republican leader condones: a father figure, a biological father who secretly sent them money, and a mother who worked for the guy. You can see why, shortly before his move into politics, he was able to state with confidence, "To me, family has always been the basic foundation of everything ... Single parenting is a danger and that's what we have to avoid." See, it's OK, because Arnold and the staffer who had his child were married. He never specified it had to be to each other. And that's your family values, Schwarzenegger-style.

It's important because this is a guy in charge of public policy.

I have to agree with this...Plus the only thing that makes some people think twice about things is the possibilty of public disgrace...It doesn't stop a lot of people I see, but could you imagine if no one said anything when public figures lied, cheated, stolen or otherwise?

I can totally see why this is on the news...It is not the most important thing going on in our lives, but I can see why it would be on the news...

I have to agree with this...Plus the only thing that makes some people think twice about things is the possibilty of public disgrace...It doesn't stop a lot of people I see, but could you imagine if no one said anything when public figures lied, cheated, stolen or otherwise?

I can totally see why this is on the news...It is not the most important thing going on in our lives, but I can see why it would be on the news...

Character matters. For me anyway. If you can't keep a really important your promise to your spouse, why would I think you could keep any promise??

ETA that I agree with Tahara, in case that wasn't clear.

Edited by Moxie

I totally agree that character matters. I don't think she was saying that it didn't, I just think that she was saying that in this instance, this is a very personal situation within a family. It is just heartbreaking that the kids have to see all of it played out, and that we feel so intrigued by all of it.

As for the fact that he is making public policy, that is a different story. He is no longer in office, which is why is was probably kept quiet for so long. He will hopefully remain out of public office at this point... but these days, there are so many politicians that talk out of both sides of their mouths that it is easy to spot their character even without scandal like this. One just needs to do diligent research.

Oy. Getting off my soap box now. :tongue_smilie:

Salon

It's important because this is a guy in charge of public policy.

No. He isn't and hasn't been since January. Even if he were still in office, this is not a public policy issue. It's a private family issue. The media have turned it into a public gossip session, though.

No. He isn't and hasn't been since January. Even if he were still in office, this is not a public policy issue. It's a private family issue. The media have turned it into a public gossip session, though.

Well, not right now he isn't, but ex-governors have power and influence and often continue to hold political office. I put politicians in a different category than Hollywood people, whose lives I could not care less about.

Here is what I don't understand about cheaters. If you don't want to be married, if you want to sleep with anything in a skirt, that's your life.

Either they want their homelife plus the thrills, or they got the homelife, tire of it, and want the thrills but are unwilling to cause a mess (and think they can get away with it). There are several "triangles" going on at work. Some are very long standing. "The bonds of marriage are so heavy it takes 2 to carry them. And sometimes 3."

Edited by kalanamak

Either they want their homelife plus the thrills, or they got the homelife, tire of it, and want the thrills but are unwilling to cause a mess (and think they can get away with it). There are several "triangles" going on at work. Some are very long standing. "The bonds of marriage are so heavy it takes 2 to carry them. And sometimes 3."

I just hate it, I can't help it. If they were putting as much effort into their homelife as their girlfriend, maybe their homelife wouldn't suck.

Also, Arnold wouldn't leave? He made her leave? What an a$$.

From Wiki:

In her book Ten Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Went Out Into The Real World (2000), Shriver says that she became passionate about broadcast journalism after being sent to the back of the campaign plane with the press corps while volunteering for her father's 1972 U.S. vice presidential race, calling these orders "the best thing that ever happened to me." After her journalism career began with KYW-TV in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, she co-anchored the CBS Morning News with Forrest Sawyer from 1985 until 1987, co-anchored NBC News's Sunday Today from 1987 until 1990 and Sunday editions of NBC Nightly News from 1989 until 1993, and was a contributing anchor on Dateline NBC from 1989 until 2004. In August 2003, Shriver took an unpaid leave of absence from NBC News when her husband became a candidate in the 2003 California gubernatorial recall election.

I don't apologize for people who cheat on their spouses. I'm not in their marriages; I don't know what is/was going on. All I know is, if my husband ever said that being sent to the back of a plane was the best thing that had ever happened to him -- AFTER having married me and having had a child with me -- that might throw a wrench into our relationship.

Notably, she published that book the year before his "love child" was born.

asta

From Wiki:

I don't apologize for people who cheat on their spouses. I'm not in their marriages; I don't know what is/was going on. All I know is, if my husband ever said that being sent to the back of a plane was the best thing that had ever happened to him -- AFTER having married me and having had a child with me -- that might throw a wrench into our relationship.

Notably, she published that book the year before his "love child" was born.

asta

Seriously? People use expressions all of the time....'best thing that ever happened to me' is pretty broad and would depend on the subject at hand. If she was discussing her career and how it came to be I hardly think it is a big insult to her husband and children.

It sure sounds like you are giving her husband an excuse for cheating on her. And then lying about it for 14 years.