Menu

POLL: For early elementary (K-3ish), our favorite math program is___

mhg

Which has been your math program for early elementary?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which has been your math program for early elementary?

• Saxon K-3
    • Math in Focus / Singapore
    • Math Mammoth
    • Horizons
    • Math-U-See
    • Miquon Math
    • BJU Math
    • R&S
    • A Beka
    • Other

I voted Singapore. We've used the US Edition since 2003. I may have been living under a rock :tongue_smilie:, but I'll admit I've never heard of Math in Focus. Although once we tried Singapore, it's the one part of my homeschooling I've never even been tempted to change, so I haven't looked at other elementary math programs.

I'm curious, after looking at this poll, about this:

Why, in their 2010-2011 humongous homeschool catalog under math products, does Rainbow Resource say regarding Saxon Math, "The most popular homeschooling math program hands down!" (this is the product's first sentence).

This little poll didn't prove this......and I would think this forum is a fairly good place to test/poll such.

Hmmm...Deep thoughts.......(where's ole Jack Handy when you need him).

I'm curious, after looking at this poll, about this:

Why, in their 2010-2011 humongous homeschool catalog under math products, does Rainbow Resource say regarding Saxon Math, "The most popular homeschooling math program hands down!" (this is the product's first sentence).

This little poll didn't prove this......and I would think this forum is a fairly good place to test/poll such.

Hmmm...Deep thoughts.......(where's ole Jack Handy when you need him).

While there are a *lot* of homeschoolers here, we represent a surprisingly small section of the homeschool market ... and on this board, I'd go so far as to say we are often looking for something other than what is popular ... and tend to be willing to try things outside of the box to accomplish the goals we've set.

Many of us have been influenced by Liping Ma's book Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics to seek out a more conceptual way of teaching math and have sought curriculum that is written more from this perspective and easier to do than translate Saxon to this pedagogy (which I understand can be done, although I've never looked at Saxon, really)

I love/d both Right Start and MEP. We don't use them because I don't have the time to implement the programs because I work full time and my mom (who teaches when I'm at work) doesn't understand them. If I could stay home all day and teach, I'd be back to MEP in a heartbeat. For now, MM works ok.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

And say Calvert. I have to add drill, and use the practice book ten days later so it becomes review. But my dd used the K and now 2nd grade, and it's so bright, cheerful, and full of conceptual understanding and critical thinking. It's excellent for kids who are OK with mastery based math. :)

However what worked for my son was Saxon. :). I love that it exists, because it WORKS for him, but I don't love IT per say. KWIM?

I'm an "other" - we use RightStart. MEP worksheets here and there as we have time.

I want to love Miquon as I know it can add a LOT of depth in an age-appropriate way, but it is getting dusty b/c I can't manage to wrap my head around implementation.